test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Change in Forum New Post Count

ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
It would seem, coincidentally with this Account linkage stuff, that your own Posts are triggering the 'New Post' icon (number) to activate next to a Thread. It used to be that after you went to the bottom of a Thread with a 'New Post' icon number and left the Thread the number would clear. And if you posted to that Thread before you exited it would not trigger the icon number.

As of Tuesday, when you post and leave a Thread, you get the 'New Post' icon, showing one new post.

Is some setting in the background that changed, or is the system seeing you as a different poster than you are as logged into the Boards?

I am not Linked as I use the STO executable directly to run the game.
'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
Judge Dan Haywood
'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
l don't know.
l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
Lt. Philip J. Minns
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    This has been really annoying me, I actually took the time earlier to go through all the sub-forums looking for a Forum Support one to complain about it in, lol. Apparently such a sub-forum doesn't exist though :(

Anyway, obviously I'm having the same issue. I've never used Steam to launch STO, just the original launcher.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    It would seem, coincidentally with this Account linkage stuff, that your own Posts are triggering the 'New Post' icon (number) to activate next to a Thread. It used to be that after you went to the bottom of a Thread with a 'New Post' icon number and left the Thread the number would clear. And if you posted to that Thread before you exited it would not trigger the icon number.

As of Tuesday, when you post and leave a Thread, you get the 'New Post' icon, showing one new post.

Is some setting in the background that changed, or is the system seeing you as a different poster than you are as logged into the Boards?

I can't say that it is the account link causing it. I've been getting it and I haven't, and will never, link those two accounts. I only use arc when I have a code to enter. I use the stand alone launcher or steam any other time.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    It's coincidental, it's just some new bug or design flaw in the Vanilla forum software.

I have not linked Steam since I launch with Arc now. I get the annoying "1 new" marker.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Yea... it is annoying.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I was getting this before the linking started and I don't link my Steam account because I don't use it to launch STO.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I noticed this immediately after the first post and hunted around to post elsewhere before here.
    I don't intend to link my steam and game account. there is a reason why they are separate, to make sure both sides are secured. so now all someone needs to do is get into your steam account and do whatever they want to you sto account once linked.. lovely.

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    probably someone 'fixing' something that wasn't broken in the forum software

just like they 'fixed' being able to remove new post indicators on any given topic simply by entering it and then backing out - now if i want to get rid of them, i have to manually refresh the page

and related to that, i also don't get indications of what topics i have bookmarked have new posts in them when i first load up the bookmark page each day - again, i have to manually refresh the page for that​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Annoying indeed.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I'm glad it's not just me.. yeah, it's annoying.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I don't think it has anything to do with linking Steam and Arc. I haven't done that yet, as I'm waiting for them to iron out the issues, and I'm seeing this behavior on the forums.

It has nothing to do with Steam linking. Its gotta be something with the forums themselves.

Not the first time the forums have had some wonky bug of some kind.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I don't think it has anything to do with linking Steam and Arc. I haven't done that yet, as I'm waiting for them to iron out the issues, and I'm seeing this behavior on the forums.

It has nothing to do with Steam linking. Its gotta be something with the forums themselves.

Not the first time the forums have had some wonky bug of some kind.

Yep, remember when we were all "Moderators" for a few days?

Remember the Edit Monster?

Vanilla has problems with their forum software updates now and then.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Never said it was about Linked Accounts but it may be related changes to the Forums to support this Account Linkage.

Mycroft Holmes:
    What do we say about coincidences?

Sherlock Holmes:
    The universe is rarely so lazy.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    No interest in this by the Mods, I see.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    The bug still exists.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited February 2020
    Well... I found a workaround to avoid seeing your own post showing up as new.
    After posting, reload the page.
    Not quite as annoying as going back into the thread after posting, but... its a bit faster and one less click.
    Note this at least works for Firefox. Don't know if the same is true for other browsers.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

It's got nothing to do with account linkage as I have NEVER used Steam - and don't even have ARC installed on any PC I own or use. I use the Cryptic Launcher only yet I also experience the exact same issue you describe.

It's just Cryptic tweaked version of this BBS software that seems to have a new bug.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    See four posts up.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited March 2020
    Still bugged on Arc browser. This bug affects comments I make and when they are in threads that I have bookmarked. As well as threads I have bookmarked (I clicked on the star and it displays the thread as if it has a new comment when I actually read it) and have made no comments in whatsoever. Thanks. :)

Edit: I think I found a temporary workaround, I clicked on the gears and then clicked Mark All Viewed and that seemed to clear it up for now. Still would be glad when it is fixed.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Really?, i dont have that yet :neutral: , i'll keep an eye on it
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    Bug is still not fixed on Arc browser. When I post a comment, it counts as a new post instead of how it used to count posts.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Bug is still not fixed on Arc browser. When I post a comment, it counts as a new post instead of how it used to count posts.

Threads you haven't read at all are also showing as having a single new post if someone has replied to it after the OP (even if it has 30 posts). Previously if you hadn't read a particular thread then it wouldn't show the new post counter for it, which is the functionality I would like to see return.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, now i noticed that i'm affected too.. not a terrible bug, but yeah..
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The whole forum took a change to the worse. Before, one was able to circumvent the ARC overlay and just use the vanilla forum directly which came with a lot of advantages, like threads actually remembering where you left of and jumped to that mark. But recently they changed how the forum works to stop people from using vanilla directly and this is also when the new post indicator showed up on your own posts.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Huh? I don't follow targ. What do you mean "stop using vanilla directly"?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    he means using forum-dot-arcgames-dot-com instead of arcgames-dot-com...and it does still work - i'm using it right now and will keep using it no matter what they do to try and force the arc wrapper on everyone, or at least until they make the wrapper actually correctly report the name of the page you're on instead of all of them just being Arcgames, Arcgames, Arcgames, Arcgames, Arcgames....​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Um... wut?
    That seems a bit...

I'm confused now.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Um... wut?
    That seems a bit...

I'm confused now.

You are not the only one.. :lol:
    edited March 2020
    Hmm, it seems that as of today my own posts are no longer showing as new posts after I make them, so it may have been fixed. Threads I haven't read yet are still showing a new post once they get a reply though.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.