test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Seven's Dual Tetryon Rifles are actually Phaser Rifles in the show

doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
After watching the latest Picard Episode where she gets the Rifles it seems they are actually Phaser and not Tetryon. Further i didn't notice a difference in performance between dual rifles and dual pistols at all. I assume they wont get changed to Phaser and they probaly not get any better performance either but can't hurt to bring it up.
C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I noted that yesterday also. Note the color difference in when she kills someone, and when she is charging the reinforcements.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    + the weapons are not the same. btw these phasers weapons are really cool. if only, the phaser weapons in game were like these ones, currently they are ugly and oversized like most of the weapons.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    I noted that yesterday also. Note the color difference in when she kills someone, and when she is charging the reinforcements.

Yeah, I noticed that when she shot Bjayzl the bolt was Red/Orange.. but the rest of the time it fired blue.

I think they just made the in game model Tetryon because of the color. I am not sure why the writers decided to make the guns fire blue.. but my guess is that the STO team just used the color that matched what was on screen. Overall, I don't really see a reason to change the damage type.. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    The Red/Orange seems to be either Kill or Vaporize. Not sure if blue, like in Discovery, means Stun or just the normal operating level.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    They are Compression Rifles...federation make.
    Post edited by truewarper on
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    All y'all seem to forget Seven specifically asked if she could take 2 of the ship arsenal's phaser weapons with her (to shoot Bjayzl, as it turns out). Her own dual Tetron rapid-fire pistols may not have had a 'vape' mode (very likely, in fact, or she wouldn't have asked for the phasers).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    truewarper wrote: »
    They were Compression Rifles...federation make.

Indeed. And if anyone still remembers Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force, the phaser compression rifle was my fave, precisely because of that vape mode.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Oh, and slightly off-topic, I thought Seven's performance was astounding. Not ony does she still look remarkably good, but her acting abilities appear to have improved drastically. The latter is probably ere due to the rather one-dimensional writing for her in Voyager, but still, she truly pulled it off.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    yeah in voyager she was hobbled by the "cold almost emotionless former borg" aspect of the character. Now Seven's more human. and shows her emotions more... although did anyone notice that Bjayzl called her Annaka? did she initally go by her human name and revert to "Seven" after she basicly let grief and revenge consume her?
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User

Yeah, I noticed that when she shot Bjayzl the bolt was Red/Orange.. but the rest of the time it fired blue.

I think they just made the in game model Tetryon because of the color. I am not sure why the writers decided to make the guns fire blue.. but my guess is that the STO team just used the color that matched what was on screen. Overall, I don't really see a reason to change the damage type.. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

Not sure about that, there are a multitude of phaser colors in sto. plenty of phasers are bluish including advanced and dual phaser beams though could be wrong.
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    yeah in voyager she was hobbled by the "cold almost emotionless former borg" aspect of the character. Now Seven's more human. and shows her emotions more... although did anyone notice that Bjayzl called her Annaka? did she initally go by her human name and revert to "Seven" after she basicly let grief and revenge consume her?

Possible or Bjayzl found about Seven's pre-Borg name (it's not like it's secret or something Seven would never respond to) and is it's also possible that Seven uses her human name with those she is very close while using her borg name in public. Bare in mind that as far as we know Picard and Seven aren't that close, clearly they're familiar with each other and on friendly terms but I'm not sure if they're on "close friend" level (at least at the moment).
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    All y'all seem to forget Seven specifically asked if she could take 2 of the ship arsenal's phaser weapons with her (to shoot Bjayzl, as it turns out). Her own dual Tetron rapid-fire pistols may not have had a 'vape' mode (very likely, in fact, or she wouldn't have asked for the phasers).

So, you think she also has a Dual Tetryon set that she normally uses?

It's certainly possible.. just don't remember ever seeing her use dual weapons outside of that scene so the assumption was that the game item was modeled after that. We'll see if she shows up later wielding dual Tetryon Weapons, I suppose anything is possible. :smile:
    lasonio wrote: »

Not sure about that, there are a multitude of phaser colors in sto. plenty of phasers are bluish including advanced and dual phaser beams though could be wrong.

I'm just using that as my basis to guess on why they made them Tetryon. Other then the color, I can't think of any reason they made a Federation Rifle Tetryon over Phaser.

I never know what these guys are thinking. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User

Axom called her Annika too. She seems to let boyfriends and girlfriends call her by her human name.

Even Icheb still called her Seven.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    yeah in voyager she was hobbled by the "cold almost emotionless former borg" aspect of the character.

There's one episode of Voyager where Jerry Ryan portrays The Doctor controlling Seven's body, it's hilarious and really shows that she was always capable of more than just "emotionless borg".
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    She didn't have her usual weapons. She was, as you may recall, beamed out of her own ship as it was breaking up, and didn't exactly have time to grab anything from her arsenal. She borrowed the weapons from the La Sirena's arsenal because she needed something then, not later. And Rios is a private ship captain, operating in Federation space primarily, not a Starfleet scout operating on the frontier; it seems unlikely that he's stocking a wide variety of weapon types on board.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jr20mb13jr20mb13 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    coming to a lock box near you!
    jonsills wrote: »
    She didn't have her usual weapons. She was, as you may recall, beamed out of her own ship as it was breaking up, and didn't exactly have time to grab anything from her arsenal. She borrowed the weapons from the La Sirena's arsenal because she needed something then, not later. And Rios is a private ship captain, operating in Federation space primarily, not a Starfleet scout operating on the frontier; it seems unlikely that he's stocking a wide variety of weapon types on board.

I was actually concentrating more on the weapon she killed Bjayzl with being a phaser compression rifle, specifically because it has the 'vape' mode.

What that blue/white stuff was, I dunno. We may think Tetryon, but it may indeed, as some suggested, just be a color that fitted the scene, who knows.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    yeah in voyager she was hobbled by the "cold almost emotionless former borg" aspect of the character.

There's one episode of Voyager where Jerry Ryan portrays The Doctor controlling Seven's body, it's hilarious and really shows that she was always capable of more than just "emotionless borg".

The episode "Drone" springs readily to mind, too.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > Oh, and slightly off-topic, I thought Seven's performance was astounding. Not ony does she still look remarkably good, but her acting abilities appear to have improved drastically. The latter is probably ere due to the rather one-dimensional writing for her in Voyager, but still, she truly pulled it off.

Is it really necessary to bring a woman's looks into everything? 'Good performance and she looks good, too' be it acting, politics or sports.

Aside from that, Jeri Ryan is a great actor. Her performance didn't really improve, the character simply evolved to be portrayed in a more emotional, 'human' way. So much I even found it a bit too much, but the years after Voyager might have changed her a lot which is believable.

The dual rifle action though was a bit cheesy, like Picard doing the same in Nemesis - it might have been a conscious decision to let them have a very similar scene, though. But, artistically, I dislike no weapon in new Trek fires beams any more 😐
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The dual rifle action though was a bit cheesy
    At least it makes sense if we assume her assimilation enhanced her strength.
    But, artistically, I dislike no weapon in new Trek fires beams any more 😐

This bothers me as well 🙁 I'm hoping that if/when we see an actual Starfleet-issue phaser in STP it uses beams.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > Oh, and slightly off-topic, I thought Seven's performance was astounding. Not ony does she still look remarkably good, but her acting abilities appear to have improved drastically. The latter is probably ere due to the rather one-dimensional writing for her in Voyager, but still, she truly pulled it off.

Is it really necessary to bring a woman's looks into everything? 'Good performance and she looks good, too' be it acting, politics or sports.

Aside from that, Jeri Ryan is a great actor. Her performance didn't really improve, the character simply evolved to be portrayed in a more emotional, 'human' way. So much I even found it a bit too much, but the years after Voyager might have changed her a lot which is believable.

The dual rifle action though was a bit cheesy, like Picard doing the same in Nemesis - it might have been a conscious decision to let them have a very similar scene, though. But, artistically, I dislike no weapon in new Trek fires beams any more 😐

It depends on what you mean by 'new Trek'. Enterprise, Discovery, and the KT have used beam handphasers (and bolt ones) but Nemesis (which is generally considered 'old Trek' used bolts so PIC using them is a natural progression from that film.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > (Quote)
    > At least it makes sense if we assume her assimilation enhanced her strength.

Oh she definitely has suoerhuman strength due to her implants, I think she was stronger than Tuvok in Voyager. However, phaser weapons surely are super light and don't have recoil, strength isn't really necessary to wield them. A 70 year old Picard did the same thing 😀

> (Quote)
    >
    > This bothers me as well 🙁 I'm hoping that if/when we see an actual Starfleet-issue phaser in STP it uses beams.

Me too, however I doubt it. They only fire bolts in Discovery as well and PIC uses the same special effects. It's probably easier to animate a fast bolt. But we may be still surprised.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > (Quote)
    > At least it makes sense if we assume her assimilation enhanced her strength.

Oh she definitely has suoerhuman strength due to her implants, I think she was stronger than Tuvok in Voyager. However, phaser weapons surely are super light and don't have recoil, strength isn't really necessary to wield them. A 70 year old Picard did the same thing 😀

> (Quote)
    >
    > This bothers me as well 🙁 I'm hoping that if/when we see an actual Starfleet-issue phaser in STP it uses beams.

Me too, however I doubt it. They only fire bolts in Discovery as well and PIC uses the same special effects. It's probably easier to animate a fast bolt. But we may be still surprised.

The phaser rifles fire both bolts and beams in DSC. Landry fires beams at Ripper and Control fired a beam at The Emperor.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I've not seen Picard (the series that is). but in Discovery they mostly fired bolts with few cases where they fired beams. Honestly it makes perfect logical sense to not use beams during wartime (which most of discovery season 1 was) since you don't want a huge "here I am" signal everytime you fire your weapon.

In the chaos of battle the rather quickly moving and not too bright bolts seen in discovery wouldn't be as easy to track (in universe that is), since if you use a tricoder or similar sensor unit you're taking your eyes off the battle and are liable to get shot because of that.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    My guess is in the PIC era, phasers have red bolts for the kill and vaporize settings and blue bolts for the stun setting. When the kill squad attacks the Chateau Picard, Zhaban, Laris and Picard's phasers shoot blue bolts to stun their foes when they can.

I think Seven switched to stun setting, because while she really wanted to make Bjayzl pay the hardest possible way and then let out some more steam on security squads, she didn't want to kill them, just merely incapacitate them because they're just doing their job.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    TNG Movie era compression rifles all fired bolts, while the type 2s still fired beams.
    Kelvin Timeline was all bolts except for the Khannon in Into Darkness. Enterprise also had both beam and bolt firing weapons. Starfleet Phase Pistol fired a beam, while MACO pistols and rifles fired bolts. Not counting the EM-33 pistol as its not a phaser.
    As someone said, Discovery does have beam and bolt firing, as the rifle was shown to be able to switch to a beam setting, which I think was first seen aboard the Glenn when they needed to do something to a door. I think they were cutting through.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    TNG Movie era compression rifles all fired bolts, while the type 2s still fired beams.
    Kelvin Timeline was all bolts except for the Khannon in Into Darkness. Enterprise also had both beam and bolt firing weapons. Starfleet Phase Pistol fired a beam, while MACO pistols and rifles fired bolts. Not counting the EM-33 pistol as its not a phaser.
    As someone said, Discovery does have beam and bolt firing, as the rifle was shown to be able to switch to a beam setting, which I think was first seen aboard the Glenn when they needed to do something to a door. I think they were cutting through.

Yes, but the artistic decision to have bolts been used in action scenes stands. With the sole exception of Control's rifle (which is also in-game) it's bolts only, I wasn't talking in-universe tech but the artistic choice of not having phaser beams any more. At least the ships have beams pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif

Is that FC and INS as well because I only remember them in NEM.
    Kelvin Timeline was all bolts except for the Khannon in Into Darkness.

That's because it's not a hand weapon, it's a deck mounted weapon from the back bays of the D4 helicopters-of-prey, so technically it's a ship weapon.

#TASforSTO

• captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    the differance between bolt rifles and beam rifles could come down in part to use. To jump into another sci-fi setting, one of the battletech novels when they introduced the clans etc, described pulse lasers differing from normal lasers in that, because the energy pulsed instead of a single beam it allowed better armor penatration due to it allowing vaporized material time to leave and not diffuse the energy. thus bolt weapons (and canons at a starship level) could be the prefered tool for CONFLICT, whereas beam weapons have more utility for peace time operations
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    The game of telephone has moved us far from topic.

Any who, who knows maybe UFP learned from the borg and the dominion and started to use more then one damage type.

More likely answer would be that the developers may have felt they didn't need more phaser and disruptor damage ground types and opted for a new type.

But if they wanted to reverse course and go another route it wouldn't be too hard
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
This discussion has been closed.