test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What to buy?

corinwencorinwen Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Hello, folks.

I'm returning after several years to play again.

I started in Beta, and bought a Lifetime membership.

I only ever got characters between 19 and 23. Romulans weren't even playable when I left, lol.

So, I'm just going to start over again to relearn everything.

My question... I have just shy of 50,000 zen... any advice on what to buy? Specifically useful for a beginner? I see several starter packs and such, duty officers, ships... well you all know what's in the store already.

Any advice for either needed, or quality of life, purchases is greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Rokal, NoOb Extraordinaire
Fixing Starships one wrench wack at a time,
Commander Kendrick, NoOb Extraordinaire

Comments

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I think the best pack for a newish player in the store is the delta pack, 9 endgame ships, 5 fed, 2 kdf, 2 rom, anf a good mix of decent extras.

the gamma is good 2 new race alot of strong ships, mostly cross faction, the vanguard ships ned to be flown but a jem'hader for a while before they can be used cross faction. powerful boffs.

I don't think any of the starter packs are that good if you already have the zen for the big pack.

though with that much zen if you have any ship you just love buy all versions of it.

oh and maybe save at least 20,000 of that for the Legendary Starship Bundle. they are building up to release for. alot of very good fed ships for a not totally insane price if you don't have any of them already.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    As others have said, get one of the big Legendary ship bundles once it comes out and you'll have a whole bunch of ships that can be flown by any Fed/Fed allied char that has completed their tutorial. (If you get the bigger bundle, the Epic Phoenix token will let you get a single character T6 ship and the lockbox keys/promo packs can give you a chance at getting other ships, as well as lobi for buying lobi ships once you have enough, which is 900 lobi for the good ships when not on sale.)

As far as other ships go, Romulan ships are multi-faction now and their singularity core powers are interesting. (There is a recent four pack bundle of Temporal ships, Fed/Romulan Republic/KDF/Jem'Hadar that also includes a 50% off coupon for a T6 ship. The Romulan Republic and Jem'Hadar ships are usable by any char. Some other Jem'Hadar ships can be used by other characters, after getting tier 6 starship mastery with a Jem'hadar character, which is easier then it used to be due to patrols. The one in the bundle I mentioned earlier is an exception, it's usable by any faction from the start.)

As Lifetime you'll have access to the lifetime subscriber ships already which can be upgraded for free to T5U, as well as the captain's yachts. (Fed, Romulan Republic, KDF, and Jem'Hadar all have lifetime subscriber ships, some with a fleet version too. Fed, Romulan Republic, and KDF have Captain's Yachts.)

Ultimately, I would suggest buying the legendary bundle (if you have or will make Fed chars) and ships you think you would like to fly that aren't in the legendary bundle. There is also an event going on for the first Fed/KDF hybrid ship, the Khitomer class. If you did the buyout, you could get it now, or you could work on the event for a reduced buyout or even get it for free if there is enough time. (Check the event details, you can get event progress once per account every 20 hours, and you need 20 event progress to get the ship free. If you did the buyout before the event ends or got the ship before the event ends, getting event progress would instead give you an increasing amount of dilithium ore.)
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11351133-command-the-first-klingon/federation-ship!
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    You don't 'need' to get anything yet. I'd suggest avoiding the purchase of any 'big' pack until you know what you want.

Elite Services pack is nice for giving you a bunch of inventory/bank space so you don't have to vendor/recycle/salvage as often.

If you want an easier time, a T6 ship with a hangar will carry you through most fights due to the lack of proper fighter level scaling. This might hurt your learning process in the long run though.

Otherwise, you'll start with access to the T6 Veteran ships right off the bat. All T6 ships scale with your level now.

Hitting the 'ground' running is a little more complicated - you'd want to get stuff from the exchange or from phoenix tokens if your goal is to steamroll that content. Most classes have builds that are pretty solid without lockbox/lobi/event gear though.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Don't get anything yet, but do highly consider the legendary bundle when it is released on the 13th. It supposedly won't be available for long and it is a really good value for someone who is basically completely new to the game and likes the classic Star Trek ships (unless you like the Excelsior apparently, then you're SOL.)

The legendary bundle should give you plenty to play with and do while you get acquainted with the game so you can figure out what you want to try next. Wait for a sale for your next buy and make sure you look at whatever bundle your next ship buys come in. The starter packs are also good value if you want them.