test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Using re-engineer for first time

jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
Just trying out this system for the first time as I am re-engineer some space phaser beams. Also just want to know one thing is DMG better I've managed to get 4 of them on some beam banks and noticed a huge dps boost on the stats

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    You can only get PEN and Over when you first craft a beam. For other mods, DMG and CrtD are considered the best ones.

Damage is always a good mod it's just that CrtD is better if you have a high enough critical chance, but I forget how high it needs to be.
  • Options
    You can only get PEN and Over when you first craft a beam. For other mods, DMG and CrtD are considered the best ones.

Damage is always a good mod it's just that CrtD is better if you have a high enough critical chance, but I forget how high it needs to be.

Cool thanks I'll try this out when I get some resources
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yeah, the special mods like Pen, Over, Rapid, Snare, etc. can only be crafted. You can't get them through re-rolling.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    Basically:

Dmg is a relatively small but always-applied damage booster.
    CrtD is a larger damage booster but is only applied on critical hits.

Thus the relative value depends - a lot - on what your critical hit chance is. These two are generally the best-available mods for any re-engineerable slots, except for the hybrid slot that Epic weapons have (in which CrtD/Dm is the best option, which is a combination of both).

NOTE that since it is not "always on", CrtD is not factored in to tooltip DPS. The Tooltip DPS is calculated as if crits NEVER happen.

I personally think Pen is best, but as mentioned, it can only appear on crafted weapons and it cannot be added or removed by re-0engineering. (Its slot will be permalocked in the re-engineering screen.) Some other mods - like Arc, which comes on all omni-beams and "wide-angle" DHCs and torpedoes - behave similarly.

thank you for this it has explained a lot for me thank you
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I find some combination of [CrtD] and [DMG] on weapons works very well for me. For my tactical characters, this is usually [CrtD] [DMG]x2 at Very Rare quality. For all my other characters, I use [CrtD]x2 [DMG] at Very Rare quality. Don't forget about [CrtH]. But I prefer [CrtH] to be applied by my Consoles and BOffs. Instead of as a [Mod] on a weapon. It just appears to work better this way for me.

I've not done any serious research on any of this. I just know that whenever I shoot something the second time, it dies.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.