test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pain points, what would you like to see gone?

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    definitely need a unified and expanded color palette - not just for costumes, but for species as well where it makes sense...or at the very least gorn, caitians and ferasans; being limited to 5 scales colors for gorn (all of which are minor variations of green) and however many limited fur colors caitians (also all variations of the same color range - and don't even have an option for black fur, despite there being a black-furred caitian in TVH) and ferasans (ditto - only purple and blue colors to pick from, and very few variants of those to boot) have makes for very boring characters

ferasans especially need an expanded palette, because despite the fact they're based off kzinti, they're still a cryptic creation, so they should be able to use any fur color under the sun

granted, this isn't exactly a 'pain' point, but it is a very IRRITATING one, and pain is just irritation that knows somebody​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Also, the Admiralty Ship Selection should work like it does for Doffs. No Tier selected, all appear. You want T5, you select T5. Same for Branch and Quality.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Yeah, I picked up the Borg Exoskeleton. Tried to make it all Black. What a PITA and it's still not right.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Another thing that would be real handy is the ability to copy incoming email text (no need for actual editing though). One of the guilds I am in sends everything in German for instance, so it would be handy to be able to copy the text and paste it into google translate. That or have a translate button that does that itself if copy cannot be done without full edit.
  • Options
    oh, that's another pain point i want to see addressed - put a freaking 'take all' button for expired exchange mails in the mailbox!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    darzil#7269 darzil Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Some small things I'd like to see:
    On all 48 hour timers, change them to 44 hours so that you can do them at the same time every 2 days (just as 1 day timers are 20 hours not 24). For example, Lifetime Dilithium Refiner.
    On admiralty, ability to filter out 1 use ships.
    On romulans, add link to doff store when gaining commendation rank (currently get window for store, then after it is closed the window to gain rank - which is needed to buy in store. Or reverse the order of those windows so you get the currency before accessing store).
    Add count of TFO queues completed, particularly for gamma recruit progress.
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    My major pain point is that DOFFS are bound to character...

This make ZERO sense. If I am an Admiral and have an Armada of ships at my command why can't I reassign my crew members?

Obviously this make no sense at all and needs to be finally changed.

In fact 95% of all th e"bound to character" restrictions should be removed and made account bound.

What are they waiting for? The game is 10 years old already. Just do it.
  • Options
    Mine are as follows:

No restriction on BOFF for uniform pieces.
    One large Colour selection for uniforms.
    An actually Black damn it.
    More Colours for the various Races that are not normal flesh tones
    The Picard Uniform doesn't seem to have pants [or i am blind, it is 50/50 really] None of the pants match the texture of Picard uniform tunic.
    TOS are Better off using Wraith of Khan Pants with matching stripes than using the Default pants for TOS uniforms so fix the pants to match the series better.
    Actually colour change on the TOS Mirror sash
    Toggle in Admiralty for Small Craft and Single use ships

"Look Agent Daniels I just don't think I would do well in 1200 years in the future."

And yet here I am.

12th Century Swedish knight turned Star Trek Captain
  • Options
    plasp#2471 plasp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    A setting toggle or inventory item which would allow a player to opt out of being affected by another player's abilities in social zones. Things like Hazard Emitters, Nanite Health Monitor or any of the Team abilities for example.
  • Options
    oh, another thing i want to see gone - the uselessness of drain builds by removing the BS immunities to drains all NPCs were given years ago​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    The ability to filter between ships you own and ships you dont in the ship vendor
    removing old quest pop ups
    unified colour palettes
    Being able to share our lockbox ships among character alts
    ill prolly think of others
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • Options
    darzil#7269 darzil Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    On admiralty, ability to filter out 1 use ships.
    Cryptic has actually been asked about this one one of their streams and they said they weren't going to do it because the whole point of 1 use ships is that you are supposed to use them immediately after getting them, so they aren't going to add a filter for something that you aren't supposed to be keeping in the first place.

Yeah, players don't work like that. Single use items are kept for the future, almost always. It is a well known part of game psychology.

To make them get used, they should put a time limit on them, maybe with something additional on them (like a reduction in mission duration, say -30 minutes - the reason I suggest static time is that way they allow extra missions, but don't allow two tours a day).

Currently I use Admiralty to generate Dilithium, and try to get both Ferengi and Klingon tour missions each day (Federation too if I can). I save my single uses for the days when I have still got time and mission slots left, but haven't got both tour missions started.
  • Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Increase the Dilithium mining cap 8000+1000 for vets is absolutely garbage
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Both kdf and feds (and their allies) get the 'dirty' and 'clean' versions of the old kit visuals instead of one or the other - My klinks would love shiny new armor as much as my feds would using a beloved, roughed up piece of equipment thats saved their hides on numerous occasions

Of course all the above posters wishes are on my list of desires too
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Haven't read the thread so this has probably been mentioned couple dozen times already, but for me I can handle pretty much all the in-game bugs and oddities. The killer problem that often makes me stop playing for a couple months is the sheer ridiculous amount of lag, rubberbanding, SNR's, and login issues that Cryptic games suffer. Whether it's because they have 15 year old netcode that nobody (at Cryptic) knows how to update anymore, or because they've got some crappy net-filtering service running to protect them from hacks, I don't know. But it definitely seems to be something they alter directly on their end because of the way it kicks on with some patches/updates and then turns off a couple days (or a couple weeks) later.

As for in-game, the primary annoyance for me is ship builds and traits that reset or unequip on their own. (Not talking about the 'tier 6 rep' resets here, I understand those.) It's a lot better than it used to be but I still get the 'fit ship, join TFO, look at inventory, 2 weapons have unequipped' sorta thing.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Thought of these just now. Apologies for not thinking of them sooner or if they've already been mentioned.

- A proper set of Terran Empire insignia for Starfleet ships. Including the "I.S.S." and "I.C.C." prefixes.
    - Correctly colored Terran skins for Starfleet ships which are series appropriate.
    Please do not bring back the horrid STO only "Deep Purple" or "Is it green or gold?" skins.
    - A correctly colored sash for TOS Terran Empire chars. Someone else posted this earlier.
    Now there are two of us. So it is officially a conspiracy.
    - TOS era Agonizers which are attached to the TOS Terran Empire Sash.
    My crew requires the proper motivation to perform at peak efficiency.

Further ideas which occurred while typing the above
    - Correctly colored skins and portholes for D'deridex Warbirds. This is primarily a color pallette issue.
    But I'd really find it much more immersive if my D'deridex looked more like Tomalak's rather than a dodgy knockoff.
    - The proper color for Dicovery Starfleet uniforms.
    Current ones look like Canadian Tuxedoes. Denim isn't a good look on Lorca.

And, yes, before anyone asks, I'd be willing to spend Zen or Lobi for the Terran Empire stuff listed above.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    here's a few more things i thought of that don't actually involve things being removed to make the game less painful - they involve things that WERE removed that made the game more painful and really need to come back

1: years back, there used to be a feature where items that were added to a mail ended up with darkened icons in your inventory so you could tell which ones were already attached or not in the case of duplicate items...i don't understand why this was removed, and it needs to come back

2: also involving the mail system....when i started playing shortly after F2P, mail was account-wide, no matter what character it originated on - this is something that doesn't really need to come back like the above, but i'd like to see come back anyway, because it would really come in handy for expired exchange mails for items you may have stuck up on alts that you then promptly ignore for months or years at a time, and those mails just sit there...all that time...waiting

and lastly something that can be ADDED to fix a pain point...a lock button on UI elements so they can't be moved - i've lost track of how many windows i've ended up dragging out of place because i missed a click-drag on a slider or an item or whatever​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    here's a few more things i thought of that don't actually involve things being removed to make the game less painful - they involve things that WERE removed that made the game more painful and really need to come back

1: years back, there used to be a feature where items that were added to a mail ended up with darkened icons in your inventory so you could tell which ones were already attached or not in the case of duplicate items...i don't understand why this was removed, and it needs to come back

2: also involving the mail system....when i started playing shortly after F2P, mail was account-wide, no matter what character it originated on - this is something that doesn't really need to come back like the above, but i'd like to see come back anyway, because it would really come in handy for expired exchange mails for items you may have stuck up on alts that you then promptly ignore for months or years at a time, and those mails just sit there...all that time...waiting

and lastly something that can be ADDED to fix a pain point...a lock button on UI elements so they can't be moved - i've lost track of how many windows i've ended up dragging out of place because i missed a click-drag on a slider or an item or whatever​​
    Or how we used to have a mail daemon that was shared between the forum and the game?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    I'd really like to see the need to 'level up' a ship on every character individually to get access to the Ship Trait for that character to go away. Needles grinding doesn't make me want to play this game more.

(and yes, they are finally giving the ships in the new Legacy Pack this mechanic of Level once to a T6 and unlock it for all) <--- But this mechanic really needs to be expanded to ALL T6 ships in the game (IMO).
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'd really like to see the need to 'level up' a ship on every character individually to get access to the Ship Trait for that character to go away. Needles grinding doesn't make me want to play this game more.

(and yes, they are finally giving the ships in the new Legacy Pack this mechanic of Level once to a T6 and unlock it for all) <--- But this mechanic really needs to be expanded to ALL T6 ships in the game (IMO).
    It's not actually a new one though. Certain of the DR ships do it! But only for enemy faction characters. These were from back when FEds and KDF got different ship traits. So there was no Fed version of the KDF ship etc, and thus the trait had to be obtained another way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    testsubject228testsubject228 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Mine, in no particular order
    1. A dedicated EV suit slot so we don't have to deal with the hassle of equipping, and unequipping, EV suits for the handful of missions that need them. This will hopefully make it easier to do EV suit content in the future, since I enjoy EV suit content a bit.
    2. Separate loadouts on ground and space for Specializations. While specs aren't really necessary to do well in this game, being stuck with a pilot spec on a ground map, or a commando spec on a space map, is something of a waste of the system. Having separate spec choices for ground and space would help alleviate this problem.
    3. My personal biggest annoyance would be normalizing movement between fleet holdings. All of them supposedly have transwarp gates, but all of them lead back to the starbase, and just the starbase, and not to other fleet holdings(with like two exceptions), even if said fleet holdings are closer then the starbase! All fleet holdings should have the ability to transport you to all the other fleet holdings. As it is, you have to play hopscotch to get anywhere, resulting in far more loading screens then should be required.
    4. Armada mail. Not something that personally impacts me, but I've seen enough people complain about it to know that not having it is something of an annoyance.
    5. Pet tab. Also something that doesn't impact me, but I know some people have somehow collected like 40 pets, and would really like a pet tab to keep them in.

Agreed.
    Also..

1) The ability to stack consumables to 999. No sense in cluttering up our very limited inventory.

2) Making the "elite" marks/items etc show up like rep marks in assets tab instead of taking up yet even more valuable inventory space.

3) Major increase in bank space.

4) Making the primary fire mode of the Section 31 Heavy Phaser Rifle 35m range.
    Post edited by testsubject228 on
  • Options
    I thought of some more minor pain points but they're less things that need removed than things altered.
    1) There should be tooltip mouseover information for buff/debuff icons, and it should also contain the origin.
    2) Hangar pets should adopt the parent ship visuals.
    3) Ship holo emitters should not use the player visuals. (The Gekli doesn't but the others do.)
    4) All Alpha and Beta quadrant patrols should be repeatable.
    5) Mark package inventory items should stack.
  • Options
    well, regarding 4, that should happen eventually as they redo patrols as needed...some of them may end up wildly different from how they used to be, though, and some may even get removed entirely if cryptic can't find any use for that particular system

and 5...YES! that's ANOTHER thing that should've been done YEARS ago - and not just mark packages, but ALL packages that don't currently stack, like trait boxes​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    I would like to see the option to slot reputation projects that take you straight to the next level. You'd still have to have the right amount of marks, xp, etc. Perhapes make it tied to getting Tier 6 with another character.
  • Options
    As far as I am aware, only the Delta Rising and New Romulus patrols are going to be touched by the patrol update. All the others are either going to remain as is or get deleted.
    Which is a real shame as some of the ground patrol maps are really nice. Even if the mission was to just scan a few things and then leave the system it made a pleasant change of pace sometimes. Both the ground and non-reputation space patrols often feature some really interesting things to see and experience, I wish I could go back and play some of the patrols again in particular.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I have to say with all the changes this game has gone through over the last ten years. I could make a huge list of stuff that could be changed. My biggest thing is promoting your Bridge Officers past Commander and have one more slot for your stations
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    Speaking of Hanger Petd, when I select a posture for them, STAY IN THAT, until I change it.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    I pick a uniform for my toon and BOFF to wear at the beginning. I hate having to customize each BOFF separately. I wish there was a “just like” button or a way to set a default for all new BOFFs to wear. They are a crew and should have the same uniform or they trigger my OCD.

This is why potatohead and the other BOFFs I cannot change uniforms on get kicked out the airlock.

I also hate the Transporter changing graphics on features and uniforms when you beam out.
This discussion has been closed.