test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Ships Visual Modernization/Revamp

phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
Hey Guys, you think that we'll get down the line a visual revamp of the notable ships in the Romulan Navy (namely T'Liss, D'Deridex and Mogai) to higher quality ( and/or matching movie/TV Show Footage)?
The work done with the Federation and Klingon ships are Remarkable and seeing that work applied to the Warbirds could be interesting, perhaps either the models or a revamp of the material textures with the new quality reached by ships lately (hugely increased since LOR). :)
0he9rXF.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    with any luck we'll see that happen in a year or so when they do a Picard themed expansion
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The work done with the Federation and Klingon ships are Remarkable and seeing that work applied to the Warbirds could be interesting, perhaps either the models or a revamp of the material textures with the new quality reached by ships lately (hugely increased since LOR). :)

There has been no work done to any of the Klingon ships. Each one is identical to how it was when it was launched 10 years ago.
    The Negh'Var got some under wing pylons and the D7 got a hull material that somewhat hides the launch era model but the only Klingon ships that even approach the Starfleet ones in quality are the KT and DSC ones
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    with any luck we'll see that happen in a year or so when they do a Picard themed expansion

That is my expectations as well. Hopefully not a year however... The Romulan x-pack was the best expansion since STO launched from what I can tell standing head and shoulders above all the others. I'm hoping a Picard one with a Rommie & Borg focus will bring similar results.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    aspartan1 wrote: »

That is my expectations as well. Hopefully not a year however... The Romulan x-pack was the best expansion since STO launched from what I can tell standing head and shoulders above all the others. I'm hoping a Picard one with a Rommie & Borg focus will bring similar results.

They seem to have moved away from that big detailed expansion format to a more TFO/patrol and strung out episode format so I doubt they will do anything like Legacy of Romulus or Delta Rising anymore. On the other hand, their current format has been bringing out DSC ships rather rapidly so a possible Picard focus should bring out a lot of new ships (if there are that many new ones in the series). Like DSC though it will probably be at least year or more of stuff dribbling out in small chunks (and probably interleaved with DSC stuff) instead of a big drop sooner.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    I think right now the D'Deridex is pretty close to screen accurate, and has been since LoR.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User

i kind of hope not as it will just take time and resources from revamping older content to be in line with current standards. there is also alot of old content that no longer makes sense and has old legacy text telling players about stuff that no longer exists in various episodes that have been in for years that does not make a great impression on newer players.

.. you hope they don't develop new content.... really?
    [..]
    They seem to have moved away from that big detailed expansion format to a more TFO/patrol and strung out episode format so I doubt they will do anything like Legacy of Romulus or Delta Rising anymore. On the other hand, their current format has been bringing out DSC ships rather rapidly so a possible Picard focus should bring out a lot of new ships (if there are that many new ones in the series). Like DSC though it will probably be at least year or more of stuff dribbling out in small chunks (and probably interleaved with DSC stuff) instead of a big drop sooner.
    Yes.... the plague of the gamblebox mentality F2P curse unfortunately. I hope give the number of new Trek offering in the near future and their concern about about developer coming out with a more detailed and maybe old school subscription based Trek offering will have them develop a highly detailed offing but I could be wrong...

rattler2 wrote: »
    I think right now the D'Deridex is pretty close to screen accurate, and has been since LoR.

While the visuals are excellent for sure you dont think it is far too small?
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

Hard to say as all things in TNG had rather flexible size but they're about 1 km long officially aren't they, so between GCS and an Oddy in size officially, haven't check if they match that in game yet.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User

There has been no work done at all to improve the visuals of the KDF ships. When old T5 Fed ships went to T6, they got a visual improvement, i.e. Defiant, Galaxy, Sovereign, Nebula, Intrepid, etc.

When the B'Rel, Vor'Cha, etc. made it to T6, they still have the same low detail textures from 2010.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Hard to say as all things in TNG had rather flexible size but they're about 1 km long officially aren't they, so between GCS and an Oddy in size officially, haven't check if they match that in game yet.
    I think D'D was about the same length but bulkier.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the d'deridex is twice the length of a galaxy - so taking that literally gives it a length of 1,282 since the galaxy is 641 meters long​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I think D'D was about the same length but bulkier.

As shadowfang said it was longer and actually when you get down to it the double D isn't actually (much) bulkier then the GCS, it's just an illusion (probably intentional in-universe) based on how the ship is build, most of the wing section is empty space with the actual structure being quite thin.
  • killjoy#9606 killjoy Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    The should do a visuals update overall imo. I know my biggest visuals complaint is about the Na'kuhl ships. The engine glow washes out the vanities making them useless and allowing the base hull colors to bleed through
    the d'deridex is twice the length of a galaxy - so taking that literally gives it a length of 1,282 since the galaxy is 641 meters long​​

Yep. Yep and taller too if memory serves. To me the big D in game is a baby version. The mogai is essentially the same size which always tripped me out but maybe my perception is wrong.
    trek being trek I'd not be suprised of the D'D was both biger and smaller then the galaxy. Trek can sometimes be bad about size consistancy
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Yep. Yep and taller too if memory serves. To me the big D in game is a baby version. The mogai is essentially the same size which always tripped me out but maybe my perception is wrong.
    Mogais are weird because they're wider than long, and almost nothing but wing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    [..]Mogais are weird because they're wider than long, and almost nothing but wing.

Yep. Freaky to be sure as I always think it is going to fold up. I really think they should do a full revamp of all the Rommie ships and adjust them for size and seats. Then they can resell them and make big bank and even allow say a 100K dilith upgrade for each ship those that already all the ships. We do sorely need good dilith sinks anyway.... That is a win/win option methinks.
This discussion has been closed.