test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning, need help

chilam69chilam69 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
I am returning to the game after having taken a year off. Usually I do Tactical builds but this time I decided to "change it up" and do a science build. However, I stink at builds and would really like some help in this build. So if any of you, that have previously created science builds can help me with the build, I would appreciate it. Both ground and space. I have started a new Vulcan character specifically for this task and she will be starting out in "Discovery Starfleet". Thank You
6ISFHW8.png

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    It would help to know what you have for science ships, and maybe what sort of science build you're interested in, if you even know.

Also your in game funding can make a huge difference. Science requires a large investment to get the most out of it.
  • chilam69chilam69 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Well, just starting out again..... new character.... hmm.... I'm a LTS player.... 0 ships.... I don't want DPS because let's face it, DPS players are a dime a dozen. I would prefer something along the lines of soloing PVE, maybe PVP, IDK....
    6ISFHW8.png
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    since you dont want to do dps, you will not solo anything because you know, the only way to reach 0 dps is to not shoot or do something at all

especially when you want to do pvp, you need to minmax even harder and cheese the TRIBBLE out of it to be competitive. same for soloing higher content in a decent amount of time.
    when you really know what you want, let us know and we could help you.

for just playing the story, grab a ship with 2 hangar bays and your pets will kill everything pretty fast for you.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well, DPS is pretty well required for anything in the game. You can't advance most story missions without killing ships. Obviously you don't need to maximize it, but minimizing it is fairly pointless itself.

So its hard to help you because you don't really have anything remotely specific in mind. I'll suggest then that you get an intel science ship of some variety. Temporal could work too. Maybe the Scryer, or Sommerville, possibly the Nautilus, the Eternal or the Damar.

From there I'd focus on control expertise to play with your food. You'll want EPG as well, but could skip drain expertise if you want. Grav well 3, scramble sensors, electromagnetic pulse probe or chronometric inversion field, maybe a tractor beam or jam sensors. Collect, disable, and whittle down your enemies with torpedoes or beams if you can keep weapon power high.

That should be a starting point to explore from. You won't kill anything fast, but a control heavy build is very different from even DPS oriented science builds which focus much more on EPG.
    When I first started playing this game 10 years ago, there were many builds that were not DPS and could survive battles solo. That is what I am looking for. I know that science is survivable.

DPS is all about destroying targets super fast, doing maximum damage and killing multiple targets at once. Granted those things are acceptable for a player who thinks that being strong is the answer.

I don't.

I am trying to be more of a role-playing type of player for this character. When I accept a quest, I do it at the NPC that is offering the quest, not somewhere in space. When I am standing in front of them, before I accept the quest, I salute them. After I accept the quest, I salute them again. I go to worlds that are not in "NPC quests" and do the side quests that most just overlook. I like exploring space.

Now I know that there are others who have played the science class that do these things as well. I know that someone will read this and say, "I can help."

You don't need DPS to survive, that is something that DPS players want you to believe. I know, my main is a DPS Tactical. I know that I can get better by playing as a science player, non-DPS, and learn more about the game dynamics than when I was using my DPS tactical character. Then maybe, if I go back to my main, I will be an even better player than before.
    6ISFHW8.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    I think you don't understand what DPS is. Even science abilities can cause DPS. You can't advance ANY mission without inflicting a minimum of DPS. It's just how the game works.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    So they have changed it over the years.... now it is primarily a DPS game. too bad.

Yes, I know what DPS is, Damage Per Second, and I guess none have intellect anymore because you keep bringing up the same mute point.... everything does DPS....

Yes, but what I WAS talking about, and I say was because I am going back to the other game I have been playing since I left STO, what I WAS talking about was an exotic build, not one of these 100k or higher DPS builds which make teaming with them useless because they 1 shot kill NPC ships and brag about how great they are.....

So the game has gone pay to play entirely now. I guess I see why earth spacedock is virtually empty and the chat is filled with holier than thou morons. Goodbye
    6ISFHW8.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Well, as this is now an "I quit" thread... Bye. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.