test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sterile

Hi Forum
The thing that get's on my goat is the fact that Star Trek online is so safe it's sterile, what I mean by that is, all of us are safe until we choose to go to war, by TFO, or missions.
I believe we shouldn't be safe, like we have Marauders through the game, Trueway, Hirogen, Tal shiar, to name a few, why can't we have these bogies in systems looking basically for >US<, make it a bit of a challenge to get to home base and dock. of course we still have planetary defences but hey a little time spent on the mechanics of it would make it work..
A bit of adrenaline is a good thing right. ?

Cheers Kenin

Comments

• parker#8611 parker Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    So Safe
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,712 Community Moderator
    I don't call having to fight a bunch of unnecessary trash mobs as fun and I doubt many more people do either. I also see ways this could be abused if it isn't limited to purely NPCs. Trash mobs need to be used sparingly in games and this would add trash mobs for the sake of trash mobs. If I wanted something like that I would go play WoW or similar games.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I haven't played Champions Online since its Beta, but I remember it having Nemesis which can randomly attack you and then you don't see them for at least a couple of hours of gameplay. However, Champions Online and Neverwinter have a different format for missions compared to STO. For STO to have recurring enemies, it has to be done through story arcs, the first episode we defeat an enemy and then they appear at specific times in different missions for that story arc.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I believe we shouldn't be safe, like we have Marauders through the game, Trueway, Hirogen, Tal shiar, to name a few, why can't we have these bogies in systems looking basically for >US<, make it a bit of a challenge to get to home base and dock

That doesn't sound like fun to me. I'm in Earth orbit, setting up the powers tray for a new ship, when I'm ganked out of nowhere by a cloaked Romulan wing, who stick around to spawn camp me as I try to finish my setup. Joy.

MMOs with area enemies generally have safe zones, like the cities of your faction. Systems like Sol are home cities.

"OK, they attack you while you travel to a story episode!"

Still not fun. I want to play that story episode, not be forced to do the equivalent of a patrol instead because reasons.

I have a life, and only so much time to play STO each day. Please let me play the content I want to not random interruptions.

Perhaps Eve Online is the game for you?
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I do not want this, parker and to me Star Trek Online is not sterile. I do not want Eve Online in STO. Go back to being Spiderman. Thanks. ;)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • banshirbanshir Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    We used to have that when the game first launched. Enemy ships would roam sector space and chase you if you got close. If they caught up to you, it would trigger a Deep Space Encounter. Some people hated it.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,293 Community Moderator
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, this feature was intentionally removed. Also, your thread title is a bit vague. Please revise. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @darkbladejk said:
    > I don't call having to fight a bunch of unnecessary trash mobs as fun and I doubt many more people do either. I also see ways this could be abused if it isn't limited to purely NPCs. Trash mobs need to be used sparingly in games and this would add trash mobs for the sake of trash mobs. If I wanted something like that I would go play WoW or similar games.

That would be the biggest issue. STOs mobs are not challenging enough to make it fun. If we had a sort of Nemesis mechanic where you face a single ship (your Mirror crew for example) and had a series of strategic encounters that could be fun. However not randomly while you travel, but maybe as part of a story arc.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @darkbladejk said:
    > I don't call having to fight a bunch of unnecessary trash mobs as fun and I doubt many more people do either. I also see ways this could be abused if it isn't limited to purely NPCs. Trash mobs need to be used sparingly in games and this would add trash mobs for the sake of trash mobs. If I wanted something like that I would go play WoW or similar games.

That would be the biggest issue. STOs mobs are not challenging enough to make it fun. If we had a sort of Nemesis mechanic where you face a single ship (your Mirror crew for example) and had a series of strategic encounters that could be fun. However not randomly while you travel, but maybe as part of a story arc.

Yeah a nemesis encounter thru out a story arc could be fun, essentially a mob that would tailor itself to you and was there "for you" (aka they were after you personally and what ever was the antagonist goal was a bonus for them), but like it was said in the post I quoted it should not be random encounters, but rather part of a storyline.

The way I could see thing working was that instead of this big galaxy threatning event you'd have this short(ish) storyarc between big events where you where doing essentially routine security work when you encounter an enemy of the alliance (not a major enemy mind just someone who has beef with the alliance or one of its member factions) and defeat them with ease, but one those enemies survives and becomes obsessed with defeating you upgrading their ship and gear to "match" yours (based on the gear, boffs and doffs you got equipted), with you encountering that enemy in seeming unrelated missions for the rest of the story arc until at final mission you defeat them for good.

Kind of like Hakeev in the romulan player storyline, but instead the big bad of the arc the nemesis would be a mook who became obsessed with defeating you.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Unfortunately the only places in the game really designed to support respawning open-world enemies are Nimbus and the various Battlezones. Enemies in sector space didn't work very well because you can't fight in sector space, so they just became doorways to Red Alert instances instead.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Nomad, sterilize!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Yeeeaaaaa...

No.

I don't want to get ganked by some random banzai charge in a social zone.

The idea of a mirror encounter though is interesting, but then you have to deal with other issues, such as how to make it a worthy challenge without resorting to just ability spam or HP sponge?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    "Sterile"? Ridiculous. Tried EVE Online for one day. Actually about two hours. Left with no desire to ever return. Kept getting involved in exactly the sort of encounters the OP is suggesting for here.

Thanks, I'll pass.

This is a game, OP. You want nonstop excitement and stress? Go down to your local military recruiter, sign up and then demand to be deployed. As a 1st Gulf War vet, I can personally guarantee you'l get far more of the type of excitement and random encounters you're looking for than you'll ever want. One drawback though. Might be a deal breaker. No ReSpawn Points.

Abso-frakkin'-lutely uninterested in killing NPC trash mobs who randomly decide to jump me the second I clear the doors of ESD. It is a stupid idea which benefits no one and does not improve the game as it is right now.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    banshir wrote: »
    We used to have that when the game first launched. Enemy ships would roam sector space and chase you if you got close. If they caught up to you, it would trigger a Deep Space Encounter. Some people hated it.

yeah, I remember that, was annoying as hell getting dragged into one of those
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,712 Community Moderator
    The other thing to keep in mind with this stuff is that if mobs serve no purpose, generally by and large most folks will avoid them as they see it as unnecessary hassle that gets them nothing. To put this into simpler terms, if you're raiding an enemy base on ground, having trash mobs scattered throughout the mission at least makes the location feel like it's an active enemy base and it makes sense for those mobs to be there. However even then you don't want the place to be so loaded with trash mobs that trip over a guy every 2 seconds either.

What you're proposing would fall into the first category as the only purpose I'm seeing here would be to make the game "feel" more dangerous. It would also be akin to forced content which, NEVER sits well with any playerbase as no person likes to be forced into playing something they don't want to play. I would venture it a safe guess that folks don't mind the concept of Deep Space Encounters or at least I don't. However I absolutely mind and would object to forced Deep Space Encounters. Forced DSEs would be akin to forced pvp to me, and I already think forced pvp is a cancer that needs to be eradicated from online gaming completely.

While they're questing generally most players are generally not in a shape where they can fight large groups of mobs with ease, especially new players. Now that's not always the case, but is the general rule of thumb. This proposed system would also slow down the ability of said player to quest and advance their toons for no real purpose other than to make it "feel" dangerous. I'm also of the belief that a game does NOT need to be 100% realistic in order for it to be fun, and there are times when I think realism should in fact take a backseat to fun. This is one of those times. In reality would you possibly get jumped by a space pirate from time to time or such, quite possibly yes if this was real life in those times. However this is a game and its meant to be fun. As my cohort pointed out, such a feature existed before and was removed for a reason. For those of us who have had time to build ourselves up, such encounters would be little more than an annoyance with no real value. For those just getting started, it would make the game harder than it needs to be for them for an arbitrary feeling of the game "feeling" dangerous.

I don't mind a little challenge now and again, and I don't think most folks do either. However I absolutely despise having grind for the sake of grind, because it serves no purpose and gets me nowhere. If you want endless action I suggest hanging out in one of the battlezones as those have what you seek.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    The other thing to keep in mind with this stuff is that if mobs serve no purpose, generally by and large most folks will avoid them as they see it as unnecessary hassle that gets them nothing. To put this into simpler terms, if you're raiding an enemy base on ground, having trash mobs scattered throughout the mission at least makes the location feel like it's an active enemy base and it makes sense for those mobs to be there. However even then you don't want the place to be so loaded with trash mobs that trip over a guy every 2 seconds either.

What you're proposing would fall into the first category as the only purpose I'm seeing here would be to make the game "feel" more dangerous. It would also be akin to forced content which, NEVER sits well with any playerbase as no person likes to be forced into playing something they don't want to play. I would venture it a safe guess that folks don't mind the concept of Deep Space Encounters or at least I don't. However I absolutely mind and would object to forced Deep Space Encounters. Forced DSEs would be akin to forced pvp to me, and I already think forced pvp is a cancer that needs to be eradicated from online gaming completely.

While they're questing generally most players are generally not in a shape where they can fight large groups of mobs with ease, especially new players. Now that's not always the case, but is the general rule of thumb. This proposed system would also slow down the ability of said player to quest and advance their toons for no real purpose other than to make it "feel" dangerous. I'm also of the belief that a game does NOT need to be 100% realistic in order for it to be fun, and there are times when I think realism should in fact take a backseat to fun. This is one of those times. In reality would you possibly get jumped by a space pirate from time to time or such, quite possibly yes if this was real life in those times. However this is a game and its meant to be fun. As my cohort pointed out, such a feature existed before and was removed for a reason. For those of us who have had time to build ourselves up, such encounters would be little more than an annoyance with no real value. For those just getting started, it would make the game harder than it needs to be for them for an arbitrary feeling of the game "feeling" dangerous.

I don't mind a little challenge now and again, and I don't think most folks do either. However I absolutely despise having grind for the sake of grind, because it serves no purpose and gets me nowhere. If you want endless action I suggest hanging out in one of the battlezones as those have what you seek.

Honestly I'd say that having mobs raid any of the central systems in UFP or Klingon Empire would not be all that realistic anyway. Since you'd have either Starfleet's or Klingon Defense force Homefleet stationed there and thus anything but major offensive would a suicide (It was stated in the klingon storyline that trying to attack Sol system would be pointless and would only lead to a shameful defeat for the klingons and this is the klingons themselves saying this, it's why you only do a quick raid to Mars cause as much damage you can and then Warp out).

Now having random encounters at deep space might be a bit more realistic but space is huge so the "we were trying to intercept you" encounters could be done via Patrols/RA/TFOs/Missions rather then force encounters.
    Would you say that:
    'Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.' :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Hi Forum
    The thing that get's on my goat is the fact that Star Trek online is so safe it's sterile, what I mean by that is, all of us are safe until we choose to go to war, by TFO, or missions.
    I believe we shouldn't be safe, like we have Marauders through the game, Trueway, Hirogen, Tal shiar, to name a few, why can't we have these bogies in systems looking basically for >US<, make it a bit of a challenge to get to home base and dock. of course we still have planetary defences but hey a little time spent on the mechanics of it would make it work..
    A bit of adrenaline is a good thing right. ?

Cheers Kenin

In general, I agree with what you are saying but I don't think that most players would like what you describe.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    banshir wrote: »
    yeah, I remember that, was annoying as hell getting dragged into one of those
    Especially since they could block off access to entire solar systems. IE you couldn't get into a solar system because, for example, the Crystalline Entity was sitting on it. This was especially common with Memory Alpha. The default spawn point for CE was close enough to aggro players trying to fly to MA.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    If these Marauders, so to speak, gave a ton of Starship Mastery XP, see the tune change. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,293 Community Moderator
    Well, like has already been said, this feature was already removed.

Vague, clickbait thread title. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.