test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why can't I name my ship the USS Monitor?

renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
Just what the title says. Monitor is a restricted word. What's up with that??? I ask because USS Monitor NCC 1713 is listed as a Constitution class ship. But I can't even name a shuttle with that.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I have a Constitution named Constellation and an NX named Columbia. There must be something else going on.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Maybe because of the DC Comics character named The Monitor?

Edit: NM, was just able to name a ship Wolverine which is a much more well known comic book character, so idk. Weird.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Either some dev doesn't want anyone else using his favorite ship name, or Cryptic is Pro-Confederacy.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Well... another name that can't be used is Titan, which was the name of Riker's ship in the novels.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    well canon ships being disallowed is no suprise. (although this has lead to an aweful lot of ships named after the British Enterprize :) )

Monitor is a bit odd as it's been mentioned once or twice in trek but not in any major role
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    maybe fear of it being confused with some sort of official game monitor
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    They just have a few names that someone once decided should be disallowed for whatever random reason..

Apparently, 'Monitor' is one of those names.

Sadly, there is nothing you can do about it. :disappointed:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    I know, right? I can understand Defiant, Reliant and Enterprise. But they allow other names that have been mentioned only once or twice. And I can name it Merrimac. So, what's the big block on Monitor? It's weird.
    well canon ships being disallowed is no suprise. (although this has lead to an aweful lot of ships named after the British Enterprize :) )

Monitor is a bit odd as it's been mentioned once or twice in trek but not in any major role

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You can even use names of ships that are actually named in the game. I have a Galaxy called the U.S.S. Challenger which is La Forge's Galaxy Class in a couple missions. Monitor is an odd choice to block.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    renata666 wrote: »
    I know, right? I can understand Defiant, Reliant and Enterprise. But they allow other names that have been mentioned only once or twice. And I can name it Merrimac. So, what's the big block on Monitor? It's weird.

And yet Discovery is not blocked, despite being the protagonist ship of a series.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    thats because the filter was designed before discovery came out. So they cou;dn't really do anything, imagine if someone whose been playing since launch suddenly was told they needed to rename their fav ship?
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    > @captainbrian11 said:
    > well canon ships being disallowed is no suprise. (although this has lead to an aweful lot of ships named after the British Enterprize :) )
    >

Not all canon ship names are disallowed - my partner has a USS Discovery and I have a USS Stargazer, and you can generally use character or actor names for ships too. I have a USS Pike, USS Picard, USS Archer and USS Nimoy, although I did try for a USS Roddenberry which is prohibited.

I also have an Android BOFF called Lore (Data was, unsurprisingly, on the prohibited list).
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Blame the Anti-Monitor
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Don’t know why it’s blocked kind of strange I have seen ships with Robert E. Lee as well as Ulysses Grant so I don’t see any reason why Monitor can’t be used
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

Edit: NM, was just able to name a ship Wolverine which is a much more well known comic book character, so idk. Weird.

It's extremely unlikely they'd filter out 'verboten' names fot other franchises than that of Star Trek. If for nothing else because that list would become exceedingly long, and never be fully exhaustive.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited February 2020
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    Don’t know why it’s blocked kind of strange I have seen ships with Robert E. Lee as well as Ulysses Grant so I don’t see any reason why Monitor can’t be used

In EvE Online (which I eventually quit because of 'non-voluntary PvP') they had actually bot-ships and special (unkillable) GM ships flying about. Perhaps 'Monitor' was reserved for similar reasons. While, in STO, I have never seen such a ship in-game, I can see how the Devs perhaps wanted to lock out ship names that, one way or the other, could allude to an official maintenance/staff ship.
    Post edited by meimeitoo on
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    meimeitoo wrote: »

It's extremely unlikely they'd filter out 'verboten' names fot other franchises than that of Star Trek. If for nothing else because that list would become exceedingly long, and never be fully exhaustive.

I thought some games at least tried to do that to avoid potential copyright issues? Or maybe that's just a super hero game thing.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Maybe they didn't want people to think that there was a ship in their Queue that was watching them and reporting bad behavior.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    monitored.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Because every time it blew up, your screen would die.
    thats because the filter was designed before discovery came out. So they cou;dn't really do anything, imagine if someone whose been playing since launch suddenly was told they needed to rename their fav ship?

They are fully capable of adding to the list.
    And it still doesn't explain why names like Monitor (in this case I'm assuming named after the civil war Ironclad USS Monitor) and Titan are totally blocked out, while others like Discovery (a hero ship) and Challenger (Actual ship in game) aren't.

And honestly... without a Dev actually coming here and explaining... anything we come up with is pure speculation.

Still... Monitor is a bit of an oddball to block as I know of no ships in Trek named that other than a Defiant in one of the Shatner books. I believe it was The Return. Yea... USS Monitor was basically close to a black ops Defiant, but was renamed Enterprise for a major operation. Also apparently a Defiant can fly inside the double hull of a D'Deridex, then do a lateral spin to open one up like a can opener without taking any damage herself. There was no mention of her firing her weapons. Just... spin and slice her open.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    > @rattler2 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They are fully capable of adding to the list.
    > And it still doesn't explain why names like Monitor (in this case I'm assuming named after the civil war Ironclad USS Monitor) and Titan are totally blocked out, while others like Discovery (a hero ship) and Challenger (Actual ship in game) aren't.
    >
    > And honestly... without a Dev actually coming here and explaining... anything we come up with is pure speculation.
    >
    > Still... Monitor is a bit of an oddball to block as I know of no ships in Trek named that other than a Defiant in one of the Shatner books. I believe it was The Return. Yea... USS Monitor was basically close to a black ops Defiant, but was renamed Enterprise for a major operation. Also apparently a Defiant can fly inside the double hull of a D'Deridex, then do a lateral spin to open one up like a can opener without taking any damage herself. There was no mention of her firing her weapons. Just... spin and slice her open.

In the intro cinematic to "Star Trek Armada" a Defiant also flies through a D'Ds wings and drops mines inside. It is a neat manoeuvre, but only works if we assume nobody got any shields like in DS9 😂
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    In the intro cinematic to "Star Trek Armada" a Defiant also flies through a D'Ds wings and drops mines inside. It is a neat manoeuvre, but only works if we assume nobody got any shields like in DS9 😂

Hull-tight shields like those in Nemesis would probably allow for the maneuver.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Word filters like these never make sense. I can appreciate a profanity filter at least, but I think its more fun to see what crazy things people name their ship, or how boring they are to name it Enterprise.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »

And it still doesn't explain why names like Monitor (in this case I'm assuming named after the civil war Ironclad USS Monitor) and Titan are totally blocked out, while others like Discovery (a hero ship) and Challenger (Actual ship in game) aren't.
    They could add to the list, but that would be work.

These word lists are typically just copypasted in and then forgotten about. Monitor and Titan must have appeared on whatever list of names used in canon they referenced. I seriously doubt they would've spent much time researching the subject.
    warpangel wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

They could add to the list, but that would be work.

These word lists are typically just copypasted in and then forgotten about. Monitor and Titan must have appeared on whatever list of names used in canon they referenced. I seriously doubt they would've spent much time researching the subject.

Indeed. These word lists are typically only requested once from the IP rights holder when you make a game like this. They send you the list, you add the bad words... and then forget about it after that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Someone told me if I had the patience, I could get it to come up by hitting the random name button.
  • toastwithjam#6901 toastwithjam Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    renata666 wrote: »
    Someone told me if I had the patience, I could get it to come up by hitting the random name button.

Theoretically, yes. The randomizer will also bring up "Venture", which is another blacklisted name.

However I've been mashing "random" for 2 hours straight and no dice. Venture's come up twice though, so I think it's just RNGesus playing with me.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    Monitor may be blocked because shaterverse stuff was not allowed back in the bad old days of Beta, and the USS Monitor was a Specops Defiant class ins a couple of the novels
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
This discussion has been closed.