test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do I combat players with high stealth/untargetable abilities?

redrum2#3381 redrum2 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
I typically test against players in my fleet who run high stealth/untargetable abilites making them essentially untargetable in combat. I can often still see them but I cannot target them. I believe traits like Exitus and intel abilities are causing this. How do you fight this nor at least make them targetable?

Comments

• Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'm not sure on these as I gave up PVP in this game many many years ago. There is a huge difference between cloak, being untargetable, and being placated as far as I'm aware.

Cloaking is countered by perception, aux power, distance, and some anti cloak abilities. There is nothing to stop you from attacking someone cloaked if you see them. I think science ships still get an innate bonus to perception but I'm not certain. There are some abilities that can force a ship out of cloak/reduce stealth rating like charged particle burst, but that has a limited range.

Being untargetable is a newer thing and I'm not sure about it. As far as I'm aware, it is a fairly short lived effect and is more annoying than anything else.

Placates make the enemy ship invisible, and a science team should clear them quickly, although most placates also break once that ship has done so much damage to you.

When in doubt, science team and then engineering team are the first things to try as they clear many debuffs, though I suspect some of the newer abilities don't really have a real counter, and your ability to counter cloak/stealth can be very limited in some ships.
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    there is a major bug in the game that allows intel ships to use the intel power (placates all enemies for a short period making you untargetable as if you were cloaked). The bug is that with a specific set up and trait you can have the Intel power placating all your enemies 95% of the time. So you have a player flying around shooting you and you can only target them for 10 seconds every minute and th eresult is that eventually they kill you. It is a cheat.

This is an old bug (cheat) has been around a few years now. It is responsible for killing the entire PvP community and cryptic has done nothing to fix it. In fact what they have done is just made th eproblem even worse by adding more placate into the game. So returning players come to Ker'rat and get placated to death or run into some player that is using the Intel Placate Bug build and leaves the game in frustration.

This is a REAL problem but cryptic refuses to pay attention. PvP is dead in this game and this Intel Placate Bug is the #1 reason why.

EDIT: Oh the Miracle worker ships have a spell called Narrow Sensor Beams that allow you to bypass placate but you would need to be on a team of 4 players to actually beat 1 player using the Intel Bug Cheat build.
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I typically test against players in my fleet who run high stealth/untargetable abilites making them essentially untargetable in combat. I can often still see them but I cannot target them. I believe traits like Exitus and intel abilities are causing this. How do you fight this nor at least make them targetable?

I believe placate is countered by high aux power and points in drain expertise. Actually I don't think it's even possible to stop placate entirely, but just reduce it's duration against you.

As far as the above post, I assume you are talking about Intel team? I'm not sure what "intel power" you are referring to. Intel team is not a placate. It gives the player +stealth and +defense. But it allows you to fire your weapons while stealthed, which is probably where the advantage comes from. I wouldn't call it a cheat. OP maybe. It's working as intended.

• Options
    redrum2#3381 redrum2 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Often time I can see the player BUT i cannot shoot at them. And when I can shoot its literally for a 1 second or 2. How the hell are you supposed to fight someone who you cannot target and shoot? I have tried the jem hadar deflector and high aux. I can always see them..but then i just cannot lock weapons and kill them. I can see them but they arent target able.