test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

✯✯✯ STAR TREK PICARD ✯✯✯ (reactions and discussion WITH SPOILERS)

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @captainbrian11 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > you say that like Logan was a bad movie, not only was it excellent, but I'd not be at all suprised if Patrick Stewart would admit that it might in part have held the genisis of Picard.

When I saw Logan just a wewk before Picard I knew why Stewart agreed. And his part was great. But I would strongly disagree with Logan being a good movie. My wife and I dubbed it 'Angry, Old and Tired - Everybody Dies' and couldn't stop riffing due to the incredible cheesiness and almost less than one dimensional disney villians. 😂
    I liked Dafne Keen as stabby girl(aka Laura/X23-23).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Anyway, back to this show: does anyone else think they are setting up some kind of ancient Romulan/Borg connection like humans and cylons in BSG?

Possibly, though I get the impression the Borg are older than the Romulans (the people who became knows as the Romulans left Vulcan around 470 AD (according to dialog in the TNG episode "Gambit") and probably took a little while to finally settle in their classic home system. In "First Contact" the Borg queen claimed they had been developing for "thousands of centuries" though she is probably not the most trustworthy source of information either so anything is possible.

Well, we know the Borg date back to at least 1484 AD; dialogue in 'Dragon's Teeth' clearly stated that, at that time, the Borg "only controlled a handfull of systems in the Delta Quadrant". The Vaadwaur had no reason to lie in this regard.
    But.... do the Vaadwaur actually KNOW anything? why would the Vaadwaur actually KNOW the extent of Borg Territory? I took it as being that the Vaadwaur had only seen a few Borg, not that they knew where they all were.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    The question is, what were the Borg like before then? Were they always a nuisance before then or had they been a great terror once taken down by some virus (thus Seven's comment about the Collective having only "fragmentary memories" from then)?
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't die at the end of the series. I feel like it would be cliche. Almost Logan-esque even.

On second thought, maybe we should expect him to die at the end of the series? They did set up the irumodic syndrome thing. Unless they can fix it with Borg implants.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Anyway, back to this show: does anyone else think they are setting up some kind of ancient Romulan/Borg connection like humans and cylons in BSG?

Possibly, though I get the impression the Borg are older than the Romulans (the people who became knows as the Romulans left Vulcan around 470 AD (according to dialog in the TNG episode "Gambit") and probably took a little while to finally settle in their classic home system. In "First Contact" the Borg queen claimed they had been developing for "thousands of centuries" though she is probably not the most trustworthy source of information either so anything is possible.

Well, we know the Borg date back to at least 1484 AD; dialogue in 'Dragon's Teeth' clearly stated that, at that time, the Borg "only controlled a handfull of systems in the Delta Quadrant". The Vaadwaur had no reason to lie in this regard.
    But.... do the Vaadwaur actually KNOW anything? why would the Vaadwaur actually KNOW the extent of Borg Territory? I took it as being that the Vaadwaur had only seen a few Borg, not that they knew where they all were.

The Vaadwaur had access to the Underspace so they would know better how large Borg Territory was before they went into suspended animation compared to other races.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    It is also possible that the Borg are not native to delta, or at least not that section of it and all the Vaadwaur saw was an expanding beachhead of some sort, so both could be right.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

Underspace.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    Underspace.
    That's not a solid explanation. 1: we know Underspace corridors are FAST travel, but have limited exit points. 2: we don't know how much of Underspace the Vaadwaur actually explored, 3: did the Borg even originate in the Delta Quadrant at all?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Underspace.
    That's not a solid explanation. 1: we know Underspace corridors are FAST travel, but have limited exit points. 2: we don't know how much of Underspace the Vaadwaur actually explored, 3: did the Borg even originate in the Delta Quadrant at all?

We know that the Vaadwaur encountered Talax and Vaadwaur had a habit of employing hit and run tactics using Underspace for their piracy activities.
    GEDRIN: You're Borg.
    SEVEN: How do you know that?
    GEDRIN: Don't you recognise my people? The Vaadwaur?
    SEVEN: The Collective's memory from nine hundred years ago is fragmentary.
    GEDRIN: I've had many encounters with your kind.
    EMH: And lived to tell about them? Impressive.
    GEDRIN: The corridors were ours. It took centuries to map them. We were the envy of a hundred species, including the Turei.
    GEDRIN: That star cluster in grid fourteen twenty one? Nearly half the planets are inhabitable.
    SEVEN: Unfortunately they are already occupied. By the Borg.
    GEDRIN: The Borg? In my century they'd only assimilated a handful of systems. It looks like they've spread through the quadrant like a plague. No offence.

So if the Vaudwaar said that there was only a handful of assimilated systems 900 years ago, then we can take it to be accurate. As far as the Borg originating from a different location, then there is no proof of that and would require a TV series to show the Origin of the Borg. It is possible that over 900 years ago, the Borg was almost destroyed which would explain their amnesia, but that can also be easily explained by the Borg was recently created 900 years ago and hasn't evolved to the Borg Collective that we know.

• mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    It is possible that over 900 years ago, the Borg was almost destroyed which would explain their amnesia, but that can also be easily explained by the Borg was recently created 900 years ago and hasn't evolved to the Borg Collective that we know.

The Whale Probe did it.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Underspace let the Vaadwaur travel the whole quadrant that had exit points from Underspace.

In Jerry Pournelle's CoDominium/Empire of Man universe, the Alderson Drive could take a ship very nearly instantaneously from an Alderson departure point in one system to its corresponding point in another system; each Alderson point connected to only one other. Some system, like Sol or Draco, had many such points, while some had only one or two, and some had none at all. (Also, some points, like the Crazy Eddie Point in the Mote system, were useless without supplementary technologies; its other end was inside the photosphere of a red giant star, where any ship without a Langston field would be destroyed.)

In The Mote In God's Eye, co-written with Larry Niven, there's a section of a lecture by a professor at the University of Serpens on the topic of how much of the galaxy the Empire controls. He notes that while they do have complete control of every system they include in the Empire, they know literally nothing of the space between, as they do not occupy it. He likened it to a foam of bubbles, rather than the contiguous spaces that the maps traditionally showed.

Similarly, while the Vaadwaur have intimate knowledge of the systems at Underspace exit points (as they existed a millennium ago, anyway), they know nothing of the spaces in between, because they never traversed those spaces. Any systems without Underspace gates might as well not have existed, as far as they were concerned.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Similarly, while the Vaadwaur have intimate knowledge of the systems at Underspace exit points (as they existed a millennium ago, anyway), they know nothing of the spaces in between, because they never traversed those spaces. Any systems without Underspace gates might as well not have existed, as far as they were concerned.
    This ignores that the Vaadwaur still had conventional warp drive, which would have allowed them to easily explore the spaces between the Underspace exist points.

We know that the Federation has been able to explore about 19% of the galaxy in 200 years of space exploration(as per season 2 of TNG) without having access to things like Underspace. The Vaadwaur would have achieved the same in much less time due to the extra speed/distance boosts Undespace provides.

It is very possible the Vaadwaur had a nearly complete idea of the quadrant back in their time.

Vaadwaur sensors did not seem to be anywhere near as good as Federation ones though, so they would need more ships to actually go out and get closer looks at things around the underspace points so they would not have know as much as the Federation would have with underspace access. They seemed a bit insular so they probably mostly poked their noses out to see if they saw anything of interest close by and check to make sure there was nothing that could pose a threat to the network near the transfer points.

Also there is the possibility that they did not know precisely where those transfer points were in normal space and the "few systems" could be points on a rather large territory. I remember reading one of those jump point network style stories where the protagonists were concerned by possible hostile forces moving into worlds widely separated on the network, which looked like a massive invasion but really those points all mapped out to a single neighborhood of very close together stars and the "invaders" were relatively primitive and spreading out sublight (or something along those lines anyway, it has been a long time since I read it).

Babylon5 had something similar in a way, the Centauri homeworld was relatively close and the Narn homeworld relatively distant in hyperspace terms, but the opposite was true in realspace terms.
    This ignores that the Vaadwaur still had conventional warp drive, which would have allowed them to easily explore the spaces between the Underspace exist points.

We know that the Federation has been able to explore about 19% of the galaxy in 200 years of space exploration(as per season 2 of TNG) without having access to things like Underspace. The Vaadwaur would have achieved the same in much less time due to the extra speed/distance boosts Undespace provides.

It is very possible the Vaadwaur had a nearly complete idea of the quadrant back in their time.

Vaadwaur sensors did not seem to be anywhere near as good as Federation ones though, so they would need more ships to actually go out and get closer looks at things around the underspace points so they would not have know as much as the Federation would have with underspace access. They seemed a bit insular so they probably mostly poked their noses out to see if they saw anything of interest close by and check to make sure there was nothing that could pose a threat to the network near the transfer points.

Also there is the possibility that they did not know precisely where those transfer points were in normal space and the "few systems" could be points on a rather large territory. I remember reading one of those jump point network style stories where the protagonists were concerned by possible hostile forces moving into worlds widely separated on the network, which looked like a massive invasion but really those points all mapped out to a single neighborhood of very close together stars and the "invaders" were relatively primitive and spreading out sublight (or something along those lines anyway, it has been a long time since I read it).

Babylon5 had something similar in a way, the Centauri homeworld was relatively close and the Narn homeworld relatively distant in hyperspace terms, but the opposite was true in realspace terms.

The Vaaudwaur 'explorers' would have a good idea where they are in normal space based on using certain interstellar markers. So as long as Underspace is limited to the Delta Quadrant, then they know where they are, but if Underspace is intergalactic or interdimensional, then they are SOL. If we can determine how far a blackhole, quasar, pulsar, neutron star, supernova, etc is, then the Vaadwaur would be far better at it.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User

For that matter, it could work something like the Flow in Scalzi's Interdependency novels, where you can enter and leave the Flow at certain "shoal" points, and each shoal connects to one other through the Flow, but the Flow itself doesn't map directly to realspace. (For instance, there's an incident in the second novel, The Consuming Fire, that involves a ship being stranded when the Flow breaks between two shoal points - the collapse of the Flow, and thus the Interdependency, is the driving force in the trilogy. The ship is then stranded hundreds of light-years from the nearest star. The book points out that if the Flow had collapsed a few seconds earlier, the ship would have been less than a light-year from long-lost Earth, while a few seconds later would have found it near the galactic core.)

If Underspace maps similarly, then knowing where a given Underspace portal is would still leave the Vaadwaur with no knowledge of the spaces in between - and given Vaadwaur arrogance, second only to the Voth, they might well claim mastery over spaces they had never in fact entered.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Watching the new episode now. Couldn't help but LOL when Picard said "unmitigated disaster" due to that phrase also being in the news this week. Anyway, more thoughts to come!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    So, good episode. The plot is slowly creeping forward. Not a lot of significant new information(that jumped out at me, anyway). To agree with what many others have said already, the first 3 episodes form a nice "chapter"; very comparable to how the first 3 episodes of the Mandalorian fit together.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    For that matter, it could work something like the Flow in Scalzi's Interdependency novels, where you can enter and leave the Flow at certain "shoal" points, and each shoal connects to one other through the Flow, but the Flow itself doesn't map directly to realspace. (For instance, there's an incident in the second novel, The Consuming Fire, that involves a ship being stranded when the Flow breaks between two shoal points - the collapse of the Flow, and thus the Interdependency, is the driving force in the trilogy. The ship is then stranded hundreds of light-years from the nearest star. The book points out that if the Flow had collapsed a few seconds earlier, the ship would have been less than a light-year from long-lost Earth, while a few seconds later would have found it near the galactic core.)

If Underspace maps similarly, then knowing where a given Underspace portal is would still leave the Vaadwaur with no knowledge of the spaces in between - and given Vaadwaur arrogance, second only to the Voth, they might well claim mastery over spaces they had never in fact entered.
    The Honor Harrington books have what seems like a simple concept of Hyperspace, until you realize their version of Hyperspace has currents. Thus going from A to B might be easy but B to A might be impossible via Hyperspace. This is a fictional setting with multiple forms of FTL so you can use wormholes, and non-hyperspace warp drives too, but some routes via Hyperspace are stupid fast compared to standard warp. Wormholes are near instant, but sometimes one-way.

Yeah we've never seen a map made by the Vaadwaur, so we have no idea how much of the quadrant they actually explored. It does seem to bear mentioning that they got all but wiped out in that war, so clearly whatever they knew wasn't that great...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • drysonbennington#2140 drysonbennington Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    garaks31 wrote: »
    some quantum storage / player housing would be nice ingame

akad.jpg

i couldn't understand why the first sibling needed to die. other than that a good start

I noticed that the Golden Gate Bridge looks as if it has solar power arrays lining its surface. Is this a correct assumption?

Star Trek: Picard is going to expand Star Trek like we have never seen Trek before. Picard is going to take us there and back again, to a place we will never want to leave.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yes, it does - apparently since the bridge itself is no longer used for ground traffic (because they have hover craft), the federation figured they'd cover it with solar panels​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    I noticed that the Golden Gate Bridge looks as if it has solar power arrays lining its surface. Is this a correct assumption?

Solar roadways.... I wonder when the bridge will randomly short out and catch fire like the last attempt to do something like that

So did anyone catch the canon mistake in this weeks episode? Hugh made the comment that that room full of romulans were the only romulans that were ever assimilated.....which couldn't be the case because in that voyager episode with the cooperative, one of the leading members of that community was former assimilated romulan. and I doubt he was the only one in his group that was assimilated either
    edited February 2020
    was he romulan or vulcan, though?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Hugh made the comment that that room full of romulans were the only romulans that were ever assimilated.....which couldn't be the case because in that voyager episode with the cooperative, one of the leading members of that community was former assimilated romulan. and I doubt he was the only one in his group that was assimilated either

That's easy to fix, just say that he was wrong (unless it ends up being an important part of the plot).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User

He was Romulan. He clearly states that, as an example that as a Romulan he was taught to hate humans, but after de-assimilation, in spite of that, he could work together with the cooperative.

But yeah, if those guys (Frasier's cooperative) never returned, Hugh couldn't have known that there were others. Even if Janeway wrote some kind of report, he wouldn't have access to it.

Still bears the question, why the guy's brain didn't fry like other assimilated Rommies. Maybe it's more individual matter.

Solar roadways.... I wonder when the bridge will randomly short out and catch fire like the last attempt to do something like that

But would solar roadways be used in the 24th Century when there are better sources of energy? It could be a historic relic of the late 21st Century.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    guljarol wrote: »

He was Romulan. He clearly states that, as an example that as a Romulan he was taught to hate humans, but after de-assimilation, in spite of that, he could work together with the cooperative.

But yeah, if those guys (Frasier's cooperative) never returned, Hugh couldn't have known that there were others. Even if Janeway wrote some kind of report, he wouldn't have access to it.

Still bears the question, why the guy's brain didn't fry like other assimilated Rommies. Maybe it's more individual matter.

Indeed it does, though they did say 'something went wrong' with their assimilation, though they didn't say what it was. I assume thats going to be explained at some point

Also, on the 'hugh should have known what he said wasn't accurate' side of things, I had almost forgotten, they mention romulans being assimilated even in early tng. Remember all those border colonies that got scooped up by what turned out to be the borg? There were fed and romulan colonies involved in that

On a related note, you have to wonder if the collective started in a similar way to the cooperative and similar claim of benevolence. The cooperative didn't think twice about forcing cooperation when it suited their interests to do so and they did force everyone on the planet into another collective against their will. That is a dangerously slippery slope on their part
    they didn't start assimilating biologicals until BoBW, though - the neutral zone happened at least a year prior to that​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    they didn't start assimilating biologicals until BoBW, though - the neutral zone happened at least a year prior to that​​

That is absurd. Ignoring the obvious fact that the Borg had to have been assimilating civilizations for hundreds of years, Seven-of-Nine was assimilated in 2356 and BoBW took place in 2366, ten years later.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    voyager ruining the borg doesn't change the facts of what was stated when BoBW first came out - they made a big deal about the borg suddenly going after individuals instead of just technology​​

#LegalizeAwoo