test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

10th Anniversary Legendary Starships - Discussion Thread

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    You do know we always get at least one mission with the Anniversary every year... right?
    And it kinda sounds like we might be getting more than one this year because it is the big 10 year Anniversary.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    so, seeing that the special traits on the two ships they've revealed details for indicates they're ACCOUNT-WIDE unlocks...i seriously hope that isn't a one-off thing and they're prototyping a system for making ALL traits account-wide unlocks, because having to swap away from a properly equipped ship, stapling random garbage to it, spending half an hour setting up boffs for it and then MANUALLY having to drag EVERY...SINGLE...ABILITY to the tray (because SOMEONE at cryptic thought it was a good idea to NOT have the tray auto-populate with those abilities anymore), then taking it into patrols however many times are needed to unlock the trait...then doing it all over again for the next 4 traits you need for any given build, multiplied by however many characters you have that use similar builds and thus certain traits need to be unlocked for repeatedly (like EWC for energy builds) is starting to get REALLY irritating

needing to run a ship through the level gauntlet ONCE for its trait is FAR preferable to the hot mess we have now​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    I guess everyone is just ignoring the 30k Zen bundle of just the ships (+ ship slots) without all the other extras. Given that a T6 ship is 3k Zen, x10 ships is actually 30k Zen, and the introductory price of 19.5k Zen is a significant discount for 10 T6 ships.

Yeah because everybody wants to pump in 200 bucks for some virtual goods.... Specially for ships we already own that makes this deal just so irresistible, NOT.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I guess everyone is just ignoring the 30k Zen bundle of just the ships (+ ship slots) without all the other extras. Given that a T6 ship is 3k Zen, x10 ships is actually 30k Zen, and the introductory price of 19.5k Zen is a significant discount for 10 T6 ships.

Actually, it would be closer to 5500 Zen per ship due to the additional consoles and ship costumes and that is how much the Intrepid Pack cost with the T4 Long Range Science Vessel Refit, T5 Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit, T6 Pathfinder Long Range Science Vessel, and the ship interiors.

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

A couple hundred $$$ is still stupidly expensive.

Only if the ships aren't available separately as well, as a whole it is still cheaper than the normal T6 price if you want ALL of the ships.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    In the past, Cryptic has regularly had "last minute" additions that have the goal of "blowing your mind" and finally pushing you over the edge to buy the bundle. After the 10 ships are revealed, I expect something similar to happen this time around. Maybe it's a T6 Connie. Maybe something else. But I do expect something like it.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    About the price of this pack: it's not that it's a big price, it's that it's a big pack. The actual price is in proportion to the price of the individual items that are in it.

It's like how you can get a burger for $1 at Mcdonalds. If you go order 100 burgers, then obviously that is going to cost you $100. Yeah, $100 might sound like a lot of money at McDonals, but it is the correct amount based on the number of burgers you ordered.

Likewise, T6 ships sell for 3k zen each. 10 x 3k = 30k zen = $300. So yeah, the standard bundle is exactly the right price, and the sale price is a pretty good deal based on the number/value of ships.

All of that said, I'm not denying that $300 is a large number (for some). But if you can't afford 100 burgers, then don't order them. And if you can't afford to buy this whole pack...then don't. It's no different than anything else in life.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    In the past, Cryptic has regularly had "last minute" additions that have the goal of "blowing your mind" and finally pushing you over the edge to buy the bundle. After the 10 ships are revealed, I expect something similar to happen this time around. Maybe it's a T6 Connie. Maybe something else. But I do expect something like it.

It's not just "A" t6 connie ;)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

It's not just "A" t6 connie ;)
    I'm not talking about all the ships we already know about. I'm talking about something actually unexpected. "T6 Connie" was just a lazy placeholder lol.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > About the price of this pack: it's not that it's a big price, it's that it's a big pack. The actual price is in proportion to the price of the individual items that are in it.
    >
    > It's like how you can get a burger for $1 at Mcdonalds. If you go order 100 burgers, then obviously that is going to cost you $100. Yeah, $100 might sound like a lot of money at McDonals, but it is the correct amount based on the number of burgers you ordered.
    >
    > Likewise, T6 ships sell for 3k zen each. 10 x 3k = 30k zen = $300. So yeah, the standard bundle is exactly the right price, and the sale price is a pretty good deal based on the number/value of ships.
    >
    > All of that said, I'm not denying that $300 is a large number (for some). But if you can't afford 100 burgers, then don't order them. And if you can't afford to buy this whole pack...then don't. It's no different than anything else in life.

Agreed. Not gonna lie that price is steep but if some of the rumored ships I’m hearing are in it I may have to plunk down some serious dilithium
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • masterdalekmasterdalek Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    winters83 wrote: »
    zippity5 wrote: »
    As there is no posts in the Galactic News regarding the new 10th Anniversary Bundles here is a good place to begin a discussion about peoples thoughts regarding them... Such as:

1 - Are they worth the price, sale or normal prices?
    2 - What happens if you have some of the consoles found on these ships already, from prior purchased ships?
    3 - Why is the Premium Bundle so high in price and filled with so many misc gambling items?

Please try to keep your replies and discussions somewhat civil...

Thanks,

Zip

I am not impressed with these prices! I have already purchased all of the defiant ships for example and already have the Quad Cannons, Cloaking Device and the Quantum Warhead Module and now they want me to purchase them again. There should be a discount for players who have already purchased these ships.

As for the prices themselves, I would say that the normal price for the premium bundle as it is should be $300 and $200 for the normal bundle. The sale prices should be somewhere in the range of $250 for the premium and $150 for the normal bundle. I completely agree with everyone who says that the premium bundle feels very padded. I really don't like all of the "bonus" stuff that comes with the premium bundle. If I wanted that rubbish I would just buy it myself.

-Winters

I have posted on the r/sto subreddit, but I'll post here as well.

The majority of the content in this bundle is content that most people have already paid for at this point, to a greater or lesser extent.

Given that this is the anniversary bundle specifically, I feel exploited and used for having spent any money on this game over the years.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    phoenix841 wrote: »

The 45k bundle isn't even worth discussing IMO.

I honestly thought the base value of the 30k bundle was going to be closer to 20k.
    Bundled ships are 2k a piece (or less, if you count the similar mega bundles), 10 ships x 2k = 20k, then on sale for maybe 12k or 13k.

No new content: maps, story lines, mechanics, just buy the same old ship with better paint-job(s) & improved stats, consoles, traits?

This is completely disingenuous. There's always been a new mission with the Anniversary.

Without the sale price Cryptic/PWE doesn't even offer a zen amount to buy this bundle in a single transaction lol.

Can't argue that, but you've got time to get Zen together since these don't hit the C-Store until 2/13.

I think Cryptic should've released all of this bundle's information at once instead of piecemealing it.

Well, apparently, they want to build some excitement over it, but I agree that I'd rather have it all at once.

All of the gambling content included shouldn't even be considered value within the bundle.

That's for each player to decide for themselves.

So far the re-design work looks impressive & it well done, but it is just aesthetics, I can only pilot 1 of my ships at a time, so far seems only Fed, & there's still plenty of bugs/glitches, & the increasing of lag that should be addressed for functionality before prioritizing on space barbie.

This might've just cured me from buying the LTS, which is at the best price it has been at for years, I'm so underwhelmed at that Picard's & now this bundle's values.

Well...ok then.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

Yeah because everybody wants to pump in 200 bucks for some virtual goods.... Specially for ships we already own that makes this deal just so irresistible, NOT.

LOL. It's all virtual goods and always has been. I guess you've never bought a single item from the C-Store before, then... Oh! But I guess maybe you have since you say you already own them. Except these are actually new ships with different stats from the ones you already own.
    GrWzQke.png
    It's like how you can get a burger for $1 at Mcdonalds.

Not to derail the thread, but all the McDonald's in my area got rid of the dollar burgers YEARS ago, I believe the cheapest is around $2 now, and even the McChicken is at least $1.50. I completely agree with your points regarding the bundle though B)
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »

The 45k bundle isn't even worth discussing IMO.

I honestly thought the base value of the 30k bundle was going to be closer to 20k.
    Bundled ships are 2k a piece (or less, if you count the similar mega bundles), 10 ships x 2k = 20k, then on sale for maybe 12k or 13k.

No new content: maps, story lines, mechanics, just buy the same old ship with better paint-job(s) & improved stats, consoles, traits?

This is completely disingenuous. There's always been a new mission with the Anniversary. So what is the new mission? Was it that: "To Hell With Honor" TFO or is it yet to come maybe? Thinking & looking back though I amend my original statement as there has been small additions of playable content, but unless this anniversary mission has been released already you're predicting the future & being disingenuous about the current to be nitpicky.

Without the sale price Cryptic/PWE doesn't even offer a zen amount to buy this bundle in a single transaction lol.

Can't argue that, but you've got time to get Zen together since these don't hit the C-Store until 2/13. Won't be happening by me, so far, unless there's a zen bonus &/or changes to zen buying nor would I suggest it.

I think Cryptic should've released all of this bundle's information at once instead of piecemealing it.

Well, apparently, they want to build some excitement over it, but I agree that I'd rather have it all at once. I would've preferred all the information upfront to then calculate then recalculate etc etc, but I understand the stance, but there's pros & cons to both approaches.

All of the gambling content included shouldn't even be considered value within the bundle.

That's for each player to decide for themselves. How is the gambling content a value when you lose? While I agree to each their own decisions, hopefully thought-out, & I concede all STO gambling gives at least a morsel door-prize, try to be honest, no one is gambling for the door-prize.

So far the re-design work looks impressive & it well done, but it is just aesthetics, I can only pilot 1 of my ships at a time, so far seems only Fed, & there's still plenty of bugs/glitches, & the increasing of lag that should be addressed for functionality before prioritizing on space barbie.

This might've just cured me from buying the LTS, which is at the best price it has been at for years, I'm so underwhelmed at that Picard's & now this bundle's values.

Well...ok then.
    Again my point of view, but you're right others might find this a steal of a value just like the 17k zen ship in Mudd's so more power to them.

I'm looking at the, so far, released: Defiant & Galaxy & both are "pretty" with their aesthetics options, but besides the new extra traits for each ship, adding Pilot to Defiant & Inspiration to Galaxy it is only slight stat alterations compared to T6 fleet equivalents so mostly cosmetic changes. The older consoles should've been added as abilities to make space, given passives, or added a 12th console.

So if these end-up being "exclusive" to the bundle only I have no prob with that, let them eat their cake. I'm thinking now these marketing prices are just a sample of what's more to come in 2020.

Did anyone else see that STO-VO-KOR Express on the Defiant's nose-cone & think of The Pork-Chop Express?
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    lordgyor wrote: »
    We have not seen Section 31's "Hero Ship", but if they go from Planet to Planet as Yeoh says then they need one. Perhaps it will retro actively be added to this Legacy Bundle along with Lower Deck's Hero Ship and IF ST: Starfleet Academy has one, that as well. That would help explain the high price, but they can't announce them yet because they aren't officially announced and detailed yet by CBSViacom.

I doubt they would ever give you a ship retroactively.

Also rumors (take with a grain of salt) is that S31 is vaporware at this point. Well see how STP does, but they say
    3 eps in and still stuck on Earth
    ?

Regardless... if we do get the TOS Ent as a T6 in this... that will be the ONLY ship I buy, I have T6s of all the other zen store ships from the shows that I care about. If it's bundle only... would suck that I will need to shell out $200 ($300 for some) but I can justify it with the other previously lockbox ships.

Getting new alt reskins of T6 ships I already have with updated stats and a new accountwide traits... I would ignore that bundle in a heart beat. I very much doubt I will buy the super pack... $100 extra for a bunch of gamble boxes is a no... I dont buy keys or partake in surprise mechanics. If they added in 2 or 3 other lock box ships... that would do it. 1 for Rom, 1 for KDF and 1 for JHD. But we get a more gamble boxes instead for an extra c note.
  • falsfire1976falsfire1976 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    The thing about a BUNDLE, is there's always a bundle discount.

10 ships x 3000 zen = 30000 zen, that's full price where's the discount? (not counting a sale)

Ex one of the existing 9 packs:
    9 ships x 3000 zen = 27000 zen full price, but the bundles are REGULAR PRICED at 12000 zen, or 1333 zen per ship, which is a pretty decent discount. When there are ship/bundle sales, those prices go even lower.

Taking this discount into account, the non-premium bundle of 10 ships should be around 1333x10 or 13333 zen, not the full-blown 30000 zen. The premium bundle adds a bunch of other stuff (which, let's be honest, if I wanted keys etc I'd buy keys etc), and the epic phoenix token, so sure it can be more but not 15000 zen more...
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Not to derail the thread, but all the McDonald's in my area got rid of the dollar burgers YEARS ago, I believe the cheapest is around $2 now, and even the McChicken is at least $1.50. I completely agree with your points regarding the bundle though B)

Dang all of you for making me want McDonalds when I'm finally back on my diet, now I'm picturing Angus Burgers with french fries on top, and McGiddles with extra surpuse, and Junior Chickens with extra mayo, Pancakes smeared with butter and surup, and McFlurries, and Icecream Cones and the McRib. Arrrrgggg, I'm going to bed to dream of McDonalds food and Star Trek Starships.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...will the ships be available individually?

Thomas on twitter said the new visuals were "exclusive to the bundle." That doesn't mean the ship variants won't be available in some way (fleet ships?) and it could be a misspeak (new visuals are exclusive to the new ships?) but so far it's not looking good for precedent continuing with anniversary c-store packs.

(which is insane)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited January 2020
    So what is the new mission? Was it that: "To Hell With Honor" TFO or is it yet to come maybe? Thinking & looking back though I amend my original statement as there has been small additions of playable content, but unless this anniversary mission has been released already you're predicting the future & being disingenuous about the current to be nitpicky.

The new mission hasn't been announced yet, but it soon will be.

Won't be happening by me, so far, unless there's a zen bonus &/or changes to zen buying nor would I suggest it.

Your choice, of course.

I would've preferred all the information upfront to then calculate then recalculate etc etc, but I understand the stance, but there's pros & cons to both approaches.

Won't get any argument from me on this.

How is the gambling content a value when you lose? While I agree to each their own decisions, hopefully thought-out, & I concede all STO gambling gives at least a morsel door-prize, try to be honest, no one is gambling for the door-prize.

Not everyone loses as evidenced by there actually being ships for sale on the Exchange, and the giveaway thread has posts of players stating they won ships from those as well. At any rate, it's as I said, up to the individual whether it's worth it to them.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited January 2020
    The thing about a BUNDLE, is there's always a bundle discount.

10 ships x 3000 zen = 30000 zen, that's full price where's the discount? (not counting a sale)

Ex one of the existing 9 packs:
    9 ships x 3000 zen = 27000 zen full price, but the bundles are REGULAR PRICED at 12000 zen, or 1333 zen per ship, which is a pretty decent discount. When there are ship/bundle sales, those prices go even lower.

Including all previous consoles, traits, and visuals is probably what moves it up. You get the layout for 10 ships but the customization and equipment for at least twice that. They may have figured 2666 x 10 for 26.6k zen with the residual 4.4k in those ships that have more than one c-store variant extant.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    Honestly, I might be tempted for the sale price of 19500 zen, because if some of the ships that might be in there really are it's going to be a good pack for that price. But god no I'm not going to get the more expensive pack that just has a bunch of lock boxes and random tidbits in there for 100 dollars more.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    To grind it out:
    trading say 8,000 dil for say roughly 17 zen per character , say using 6 characters, it would take you 295 days to generate enough zen to buy the Legendary Bundle at full price.
    edited January 2020
    To grind it out:
    trading say 8,000 dil for say roughly 17 zen per character , say using 6 characters, it would take you 295 days to generate enough zen to buy the Legendary Bundle at full price.
    Sounds very reasonable actually. 10 free ships in a year plus the 3 you get from playing the summer/winter and anniversary events.
    edited January 2020
    To grind it out:
    Sounds very reasonable actually. 10 free ships in a year plus the 3 you get from playing the summer/winter and anniversary events.

The psychological angle isn't as good though as 10 free ships in a year at regular intervals (through individual c-store buys) versus one lump sum at the end of a year's grinding. The bundle format is less conducive to keeping players engaged who can't afford it off the top. Plus individual packaging allows more variety if one of the ships in this release doesn't float your boat but another release sometime in the calendar year does (letting players maximize the perceived value of what they spend their money on.) In the end, Cryptic gets the same out but with the all exclusive bundle the player's been subjected to a far less gratifying experience (assuming they haven't lost interest or burned out over 295 days of heavy farming.)

Here's hoping we're not actually in this situation.
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    OK, not sure if this was asked but this question is burning up inside me.

I want to know if I have this right, I happen to love using the Defiant and it has gone like this for me. First I get the T3 version, but then they release a refit that I have to buy. Then we have the T5 version, which the goes to the retrofit and the Fleet version, this was good for a few years. Then we get the T6 versions and of course the Fleet version of that ship .....

So now I have to buy a new T6 version of the Defiant? ... and probably need to get the updated Fleet version.

I don't know about anyone else but re-releasing a ship that people have already purchased is really problematic for me. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and I've been playing this game since Beta, and have also been a LTS since then but having me re-buy ships that I have already purchased it really low. I'll probably wind up getting it in the future but I just can not afford to buy a pack for 20 new skins .....

Just my 2¢....
    psytce0002 wrote: »
    OK, not sure if this was asked but this question is burning up inside me.

I want to know if I have this right, I happen to love using the Defiant and it has gone like this for me. First I get the T3 version, but then they release a refit that I have to buy. Then we have the T5 version, which the goes to the retrofit and the Fleet version, this was good for a few years. Then we get the T6 versions and of course the Fleet version of that ship .....

So now I have to buy a new T6 version of the Defiant? ... and probably need to get the updated Fleet version.

I don't know about anyone else but re-releasing a ship that people have already purchased is really problematic for me. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and I've been playing this game since Beta, and have also been a LTS since then but having me re-buy ships that I have already purchased it really low. I'll probably wind up getting it in the future but I just can not afford to buy a pack for 20 new skins .....

Just my 2¢....

If you already have the other variants then only need to purchase the new version if you want the new skins and full pilot spec+maneuvers (and I believe the Legendary ships are already at fleet level). If you don't have any of the other variants then purchasing this one will give you ALL of the consoles in one single purchase.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited January 2020
    psytce0002 wrote: »

Just my 2¢....

As an individual buy I'd love to be able to pick up a new set of skins for a favorite ship. Ex. Sovy. I enjoy my existing T6 variant but having a few new options and a new take on the platform would be very gratifying. For the full bundle: no. Not every ship carries the same level of significance and while I'd love to be able to reconnect with some of my favorites I'm not prepared to spend what Cryptic's apparently asking to do so (with Thomas's comments and no other clarification.)

I had $20 or so slated for individual c-store buys this anniversary (in addition to zen savings) but there's a real possibility that Cryptic might say "no, we don't want you participating in this part of the love letter. Unlike previous years, we only want those who can pony up to the highest level."

This as the 10th anniversary. What the hell?

(To be clear, the last bit's not directed at you, but on the topic of rebuying ships a more open approach allows more circumstances where it works out well.)
This discussion has been closed.