test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

OMEGA GRIND NOW A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Most all players do some farming. "Farmers", on the other tentacle, are people who don't do anything else - they only play TFOs whose rewards are "good enough", and if that's not available they log in just to do the DOff grind. They're not playing for fun, they're playing to win, and their definition of "winning" involves having more EC and dil than anyone else.

I understand these people are out there. I don't understand why, but then they don't understand how I can enjoy the (relatively minor) variations of playing through the content repeatedly with different characters, so we're even.

You have no idea how or why other people play. Save the speculation and stop embarrassing yourself.
    I have some idea of why people play, because they've told us repeatedly (usually in long threads about why they say it's not "worth" playing any more). I don't completely understand their reasoning, as I've said, but then they don't understand mine.

However, my understanding is not required for what I said. Someone asked for a definition of the word "farmer" as it relates to STO in particular, and MMOs in general. If you disagree with my definition, feel free to post a clarification. Otherwise, the only one being embarrassed here would be you.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    Again, Cryptic has no plans what so ever to improve the Crafting/upgrade system...that is the part that is hilarious about this nerf.

Im sorry, do you have inside information regarding Cryptic's plans for the crafting system and upgrade? Please prove your statement that "Cryptic has no plans".

We are interested in facts not theories.

Exactly what is your definition of "improvement".

Also before you come back at me with "there has been no improvement since the system launched" that is not evidence. There have been small additions and changes over the last couple of years. Nothing as major as when the system launched but there have still been changes.

These new Omega upgrades, while only available for a short time are another addition. Exactly what they made lead to, or may not lead to at all, is still to be determined.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Again, Cryptic has no plans what so ever to improve the Crafting/upgrade system...that is the part that is hilarious about this nerf.

Im sorry, do you have inside information regarding Cryptic's plans for the crafting system and upgrade? Please prove your statement that "Cryptic has no plans".

We are interested in facts not theories.

Exactly what is your definition of "improvement".

Also before you come back at me with "there has been no improvement since the system launched" that is not evidence. There have been small additions and changes over the last couple of years. Nothing as major as when the system launched but there have still been changes.

These new Omega upgrades, while only available for a short time are another addition. Exactly what they made lead to, or may not lead to at all, is still to be determined.

I consider re-engineering a pretty big deal since you used to have to craft an insane number of weapons to get a set of mods like Dmgx2 Over or CrtDx2 Pen, and then on upgrading you could still end up with an Acc mod.

The addition of kit module and training manual crafting were also big improvements.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

I think what he means, is, that the Omega-parts nerf doesn't immediately appear tied to any upgrading overhaul as a whole. There is no evidence for 'no plans', of course, but also no (preliminary) signs of evidence -- like on Tribble or something -- that a major rework is about to occur.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I think what he means, is, that the Omega-parts nerf doesn't immediately appear tied to any upgrading overhaul as a whole. There is no evidence for 'no plans', of course, but also no (preliminary) signs of evidence -- like on Tribble or something -- that a major rework is about to occur.

Yes, no immediate plans have been revealed. I'm not sure why that matters though, or why it's supposed to be "hilarious."

This change adds the mark and quality mods to omegas. The quality version does actually change the strategy for upgrading a bit, since it makes omegas even more valuable for upgrading mark II gear. Is that hilarious somehow?

This change nerfs another farming method. Since Cryptic hasn't said why, we have to speculate about things like server load and gold farming. Is possibly reducing gold farming spam in chat and mail hilarious?
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Does this effect current particles you already have? nope not... they would increase in value then =) hit the exchange and hoard for resale later!

Did we ever get an answer about this?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Does this effect current particles you already have? nope not... they would increase in value then =) hit the exchange and hoard for resale later!

You will see when the game comes back up after maintenance.
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    warpangel wrote: »

You will see when the game comes back up after maintenance.

I'm at work too...can someone confirm this? Are the old particles collected prior to today been changed to bound to account or still unrestricted?​​
  • Options
    jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Wow. I had no idea that these things were so valuable to people. I found the process so annoyingly fiddly that I never completed a single one.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Here we go again.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Here we go again.

So then:
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    n0znihs#2244 n0znihs Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I consider re-engineering a pretty big deal since you used to have to craft an insane number of weapons to get a set of mods like Dmgx2 Over or CrtDx2 Pen, and then on upgrading you could still end up with an Acc mod.

The addition of kit module and training manual crafting were also big improvements.
    Yep. Really, the biggest thing Cryptic needs to do with crafting it make more items able to be re-engineered.

After the initial revamping, and the additions of kit module/training manual crafting, and re-engineering, there not much they really need to do with the system.

Re-engineering kinda ended for cryptic:
    from: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/7p87ed/introducing_reengineering/
    Much like when we rolled out the Upgrade system a couple years ago, we'll continually be expanding the functionality of Re-Engineering to encompass more and more items as time goes on.

They don't need to do it on each item, but in the end, they stopped with the options, think only lobi guns like Boolean where have imediate fixes where as the particle em torpedo from crafting still has no options.

It seems cryptic starts lacking in finishing things they introduce. Even non unique items are put in Mudd's store, the Fekhire event ship sudenly skips the phoenix box.
    I am not saying its wrong to do so, but it's like the introduce a new system to replace an old one. As sad i don't think it's bad, since now u know the price (ship) and buy it in discount for the entire account, unlike the phoenix box ships.
    It's function as dil sink is kinda long gone for phoenix.
    The uniforms in dil store are still the best dil sink in game :s

People don't like changes, so the omega's would anger people. But mayority will keep playing non theless.
    Let's hope Cryptic finish what they promis this season, without a coma promissing multiple ships, or ships the community always wanted since launch etc.
  • Options
    rascally8abbit#2284 rascally8abbit Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I have no idea what they are doing but this event is turning to be a really one of the contaminated additions ever. I don't know why they found a way to make such a mest. For example I was able to access the server only 1 hour into what was suppose to be a server down time of 5 hours. Right now trying to do the Khitomer Vortex results in one teammate fighting the battle the other either not loading or loading in and just watching and won't move. Awful.

Searching for the omega is evn worse. You have to find one that me buried in a tree at the academy or no where to find. Once again what is going on.

The lag only hope is moving a few feet, stop, wait, lag rubber band hits, and delayed response to a key command taking about 10 seconds. All I see is a game that perhaps shows by far very poor Q&A or testing. I am really upset with this supposed 10th Anniversary. It has cut hours of daily rewards, it obviously is when never ready for prime time or it is going to be a fix on the go. I feel like a beta tester.

Now hearing the omega particles are no longer tradeable or sold/auctioned. It is like we aren't to be able to sell anything, trade anything. I don't know the reason for these restrictions. Then add in this new dil draining work with omega particles, as far as I am concerned are designed to drain dil and force even more money to replace what can no longer get from trading dil.

I am so unfocused from these problems I am like others thinking about money spent. Who signed off on this? They should be made to play it in its current state.

Admin/Mod sorry for being harsh but I am sure I am not the only one who is complaining, but they are afraid to say anything. I just can't see what is happneing is a show of the best this games has to offer. All of these issues are causing it hard to be happy celebration of 10 years. Please understand.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    My launcher didn't go into the green until about two and a half hours into maint and I didn't experience horrible lag or rubberbanding, just mild for me.

The Omega game wasn't all that hard. Just had to go to ESD ground, Vulcan ground and K-7 ground. When I was farming I got blues at Wolf, reds at ESD space and yellows at Drozana ground. They weren't difficult to find and even the glitch where the minigame would suddenly end partway into it only happened a few times in all.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Excellent. I can now do the Anniversary event with real content and forget the horrible omega hunt even exists.
  • Options
    njodeath#7166 njodeath Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I used to be guaranteed a shard,sliver and 3 traces at a score of 2300. 3 traces and a sliver at 2000. 3 traces at 1700.Usually a fragment,shard, sliver and 3 traces for a perfect score of 2700. Now you need 2300 just for 3 traces. The slivers seem to be popping at 1700 (not enough data to be sure) but only 1 trace. I haven't seen a shard yet even with a perfect score. There is no consistency now and no advantage for expert scores. In fact the threshold for 3 traces has increased. This is not good. Please change it back. More slivers for fewer traces zero shards and fragments is a real CRAPPY trade off. BTW I never solr my omegas I used them. I like the grind that's my play style. I can't afford the dil for phoenix I use my dil to help my fleet /armada projects. I'm sure I could earn dil other ways but those other ways aren't fun to me. Everyone has their own play style none of them are right or wrong that's whats great about the game. I'm just disappointed with the payouts of the change now.
    Post edited by njodeath#7166 on
  • Options
    rascally8abbit#2284 rascally8abbit Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I am very ticked off by this omega change. Last year for example, since I didn't have the time to do the Omega thing other than just to get it completed to do the thing 20 times (or how ever many) to be able to claim the prize. You might say you are rich, willing to throw money at the game, etc. Well first, the Energy Credit can't be bought in the c-store and can't trade Dil for it.

Credits in the game are one of the easiest obtained for of money for the game. You get it for completing missions/quests, you get it for doing tfo's, you get it for endeavours and selling junk you get in missions. So to say you did this to stop the profiteering or farming of omega particles has no weight. There are those who do the work and sell it and people who can't spend as much time and turn to the exchange to buy up someone else's work. Since the currency used is not one that is hard to come by unlike Astral Diamonds in Neverwinter which getting enough to buy something or to trade for zen (oh wait there is essentially no trade, only Zen people want to buy your diamonds at a very high rate, so in that game people can't get the currency aka zen to buy goods in your money preferred area)

So now I need to have my alt account fully train themselves to 20 on all R&D schools. Thanks so for much for finding another way to make this game just grinding and not having something new to do. I to don't care to worry about omega's anymore as nearly 100 million I spent to stock up, not to sell but to give my character a chance at getting great gear has now been ruined by this change.

I still cannot find omega particles at starfleet academy. I had minor rubber banding issues that were minimal in their effect. Now I can only walk/run a couple of feet then stop and wait to see how far back I get put. It takes forever therefore to get across any distance even just to move over to the bank or mail slot or the exchange.

I do not understand how after 10 years this can be made the worst to date. The omega particle compensation if you do work hard on scoring high is less worth it (as noted above by another poster). The particles are account bound so I can't even give them to the fleet bank or trade with newer fleet members that need them. So now with them being bound to account you have yet again show how your choices not improve but destroy the game. Let look back at one of your other "game improvements", the number of times in a day you can turn in contraband. Yes the Klingons had an almost monopoly on that due to the marauding missions. So you decided how about only 1 times a day for a meager 2000 dil. Now my Klingons where I went out and got those top doff for the missions that rewarded contraband, now don't even bother as just doing the doff missions, at least 2 of them can't supply and entire day, yes that was great improvement.

I wish I knew if it was legal to post a link to a petition I would like to start that ask for the restoration of the unbound Omega particles for this year at a minimum and then next year you can lock them down if you see it will improve the game. However I doubt the forum rules or that of Cryptic/Arc/CBS powers to be would block the link and ban me for the audacity of having players come together and finally say NO! If those who made the decision play the game as well. Fine they can have their own server but leave our only server alone. You took away a great deal of fun in Neverwinter when you absolutely torpedo'd character classes and many have quit in response. Now you do the same in Star Trek Online. I guess I will be spending more time playing other games and whatever real money I have used in the past as an example of why never give real money to MMO's like STO and NWO as it isn't used for the betterment of the game and they will find all ways to make it useless to play, buy with in game currency or trade various items. It is bad enough you won't let those boxes that come from the Endeavour's completed boxes to stack but blueprints for turret weapons can???? or doff packs?????

Please I am formally asking you to restore the omega particles for this year after which if you change them for next year, players at least will be able to plan way in advance and this 10th anniversary is at least as fun (unless you ignore the lag rubber band problems) as they always have. I agree added more missions rather than omega farming is great, but if you don't want people to have, use, or sell them, then do away with them this year, so next anniversary omega stuff is gone.

This game to me is now at an all time low compared to any other time in the 10 years I have played, first as a paying customer then free to play. Just absolutely frustrating and disappointing. I would say more but I am trying to swerve in and out of the person playing hit a ban, like a game in aracades call whack a mole (I think).

Thanks for a forgettable milestone.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I used to be guaranteed a shard,sliver and 3 traces at a score of 2300. 3 traces and a sliver at 2000. 3 traces at 1700.Usually a fragment,shard, sliver and 3 traces for a perfect score of 2700. Now you need 2300 just for 3 traces. The slivers seem to be popping at 1700 (not enough data to be sure) but only 1 trace. I haven't seen a shard yet even with a perfect score. There is no consistency now and no advantage for expert scores. In fact the threshold for 3 traces has increased. This is not good. Please change it back. More slivers for fewer traces zero shards and fragments is a real CRAPPY trade off. BTW I never solr my omegas I used them. I like the grind that's my play style. I can't afford the dil for phoenix I use my dil to help my fleet /armada projects. I'm sure I could earn dil other ways but those other ways aren't fun to me. Everyone has their own play style none of them are right or wrong that's whats great about the game. I'm just disappointed with the payouts of the change now.

The threshold for 3 traces is 1000 points.

did it today.

Red, ground, scored 850, mainly due to bit a of lag. 1 trace.
    Space, blue 1050, 3 traces.
    Space, yellow, 1350, 3 traces.

So on this, it's not worth it for me personally.

Not when you consider the farming time, plus the 1 day per tech to make time. Add to the Mk Omega's cost 3.000 dil per 1, and Rarity Omega's cost 5,500 dil per to make.

I'm still waiting on the improvement here.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    I used to be guaranteed a shard,sliver and 3 traces at a score of 2300. 3 traces and a sliver at 2000.

Not last year, and I don't believe the year before either. Possibly even longer.

For years you've only been guaranteed the sliver and traces, with anything extra being a roll of the dice.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I used to be guaranteed a shard,sliver and 3 traces at a score of 2300. 3 traces and a sliver at 2000.

Not last year, and I don't believe the year before either. Possibly even longer.

For years you've only been guaranteed the sliver and traces, with anything extra being a roll of the dice.

Correct, shards and slivers have never been guaranteed at any score..

ever.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    I'm a little confused, are the emotes single character or account, I braced myself to grind all my characters for the emotes and yet when I went to select one I had just unlocked it was not available for the second character yet it was not unlocked for him ?
This discussion has been closed.