test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Thoughts About the Cyclic Modulation Ground Weaponry Pack

devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
I played the Borg Resurgence event and claimed the Cyclic Modulation Ground Weaponry Pack. I used the pack against the Borg on Defera and in the "Into the Hive" TFO. Overall, I am less than impressed.

When using any of the cyclic weapons, when the Borg adapt to one of the energy types, switching to a new energy type takes about 2 seconds or so before you can start firing again. Compare this to the instant remodulation of the Phaser Battle Rifle when using the MACO set. Furthermore, once the Borg have adapted to all the energy types that the cyclic weapon can fire, you still have to remodulate, either by using a basic 4-second remodulator, the enhanced 3-second remodulator, or the instant MACO remodulator. If you're going to use energy weapons against the Borg, your best bet is the MACO set with the Phaser Battle Rifle and instant remodulator.

My favorite weapon against the Borg and any other ground enemy is the TR-166b Sniper Rifle and the Zeframe Cochrane Shotgun. Kinetic weapons ignore shields, and the Borg cannot adapt to them. In my opinion, they are the most valuable ground weapons in the game.

However, I can see where the cyclic weapons can be useful. If you have a personal endeavor that requires ground based tetryon damage for example, go to a ground invasion zone, switch your cyclic weapon to tetryon, and start firing. Your endeavor will be completed in no time. Just make sure the ground invasion zone is not Defera.

So what are your thoughts?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Agree with what you say.

To be honest, I've continued using mine as a secondary weapon - but that is primarily because I actually quite enjoy the animation; the bolts fired by the rifle resemble the energy-bolts our ships cannon weapons shoot, and I rather like that.

I admit, they look pretty cool.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I claimed these weapons to unlock them for my account and then discarded them.

Their one 'claim to fame' is fighting the Borg and they're like the 9th best weapon in the game against the Borg. I'll stick with the Thompson, TR-116B, Cochrane Shotgun, etc. If I want an energy Weapon, I'll go with the MACO or the Omega Carbine.. all better options then these weapons.

At least they unpack as level appropriate items so should I ever make another alt, they'll be great for leveling up.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    TR-116 and the Shottygun are a great combo against the Borg, I agree. And big thanks for the idea about achievements!

Is the Thompson available through the Phoenix box? I missed that one, which is a crying shame given how much I loved that episode of STNG...

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Is the Thompson available through the Phoenix box?

Yes it is.

And it's fantastic! :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    First thought when I saw this event reward was this is going to make it much easier for Endeavors where you deal specific types of energy damage: no more searching inventory or changing character for that missing energy type. Also, their firing effects are really cool.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @chastity1337 said:
    > TR-116 and the Shottygun are a great combo against the Borg, I agree. And big thanks for the idea about achievements!
    >
    > Is the Thompson available through the Phoenix box? I missed that one, which is a crying shame given how much I loved that episode of STNG...

If you really want to have fun with the Thompson, I suggest a covert assault drone. It fires a bolt for all damage you do instead of shots you fire, so it fires on all of the rapid fire shots from the Thompson.
    Also, despite being phaser damage, when I first tried it out on defera the Borg never adapted to it, probably considered an NPC for that.

Hit secondary fire and it's probably the deadliest weapon combo I've used in a long time...pretty standard for me now.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    devencombs wrote: »
    Furthermore, once the Borg have adapted to all the energy types that the cyclic weapon can fire, you still have to remodulate, either by using a basic 4-second remodulator, the enhanced 3-second remodulator, or the instant MACO remodulator.
    Excuse me, what?
    So, the main interest of the weapon isn't even fully used in-game?

UGH.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I think those weapons weren't meant to be new uber weapons - after all, they are free and account wide, reclaimable on new characters. They are supposed to be a solid choice you don't have to worry about upgrading.

Of course, the thompson and zefram shotgun make literally every other ground weapon in the game obsolete, not only against Borg. They ignore shields, of every enemy. They are the superior weapon choice all the time.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • n0znihs#2244 n0znihs Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    There performance against borg isn't good. The idea is nice and closer to the movie and series. But the choice of the versions of pistil, riffle and assault was a hint that they wouldnt that good.
    Used them once in a borg tfo, and swapped back to the old anti-borg stuff I used. If they removed teh modulate the smack option with riffle but would be more effective against borg.

However, for non borg encounters they are fun and usefull. The fact they modulate always phaser-disruptor-plasma-who cares-who cares-who cares makes them reliable for what damage u want to do.
    People leveling up new alts or future recruit events have a new weapon they can claim when leveling up, and supply their boff team.
    Fail for the intended Borg, Succes for fun and new chars. Works as intended.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    The armor and shield pen after switching energy type is useful.

Is it a replacement for the Thomson, TR or leck's knives if i KNOW i am going to face off against Borg?
    No, but otherwise they are useful weapons.
    Might be useful on boffs.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    I never really had interest in them other then just something to waste a few random phoniness upgrades on for the hell of it.

I pretty much just shoot everything with the boolean and it always dies in one crit or two non crit hits and i don't really have a problem switching weapons when needed on the ground so this was just an event for me to gain more dil.
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,824 Arc User
    By the time it goes through a full cycle it should remodulate automatically
  • devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    By the time it goes through a full cycle it should remodulate automatically

Agreed. In fact, I thought that was what it would do.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,183 Arc User
    best weapon to do your daily endeavor ground weapon damage, beyond that... useless.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I concur..pretty useless versus borg compared to many weapons, but awesome for daily endeavour ground grind - the cmod should have been that when its triggered, it automatically remodulates away the previous adaptations...but even so with that I would prefer Lecks knives over this carbuncle of a weapon

Admittedly I've not tested them on boffs but it'd be intresting to see if they cmod constantly or they treat it as a regular old weapon of whatever flavour it starts at
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    They're mediocre weapons even against the intended targets they were specifically designed for.
    XzRTofz.gif
    Is the Thompson available through the Phoenix box?

Yes it is.

And it's fantastic! :smiley:

I looked for the Thompson in the Phoenix "store" yesterday and I could not find it...
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Don't know about Phoenix box, but there is Thompson in Zen store, in the "Picard Bundle"
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    The dev's were probably using the self modulating shots trait and forgot it wasn't part of the weapon.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    saber1973a wrote: »
    Don't know about Phoenix box, but there is Thompson in Zen store, in the "Picard Bundle"

OH yeah, because I'm going to rush right out and spend 60 USD on that silly bundle, sure.
    saber1973a wrote: »

OH yeah, because I'm going to rush right out and spend 60 USD on that silly bundle, sure.

Try Lecks Knives (my personal favourite, gotten from the best mission in sto) or the shotgun from the phoenix box then - the knives require a little more finesse (shorter range, the secondary does the same damage even if its the only target so its a true multi target only secondary) but they are wonderful when you get used to them

The shotgun works well if you treat it like a shorter range pulsewave - you want to be up close and personal

In my opinion the best way to run kinetic without the tommy gun is to have a TR sniper in one slot and the shotgun/knives in the other then practice switching between them as needed
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @chastity1337 said:
    > TR-116 and the Shottygun are a great combo against the Borg, I agree. And big thanks for the idea about achievements!
    >
    > Is the Thompson available through the Phoenix box? I missed that one, which is a crying shame given how much I loved that episode of STNG...

If you really want to have fun with the Thompson, I suggest a covert assault drone. It fires a bolt for all damage you do instead of shots you fire, so it fires on all of the rapid fire shots from the Thompson.
    Also, despite being phaser damage, when I first tried it out on defera the Borg never adapted to it, probably considered an NPC for that.

Hit secondary fire and it's probably the deadliest weapon combo I've used in a long time...pretty standard for me now.
    Pets don't share adaptation with the player that spawns them, and each time you summon a new pet it has no adaptation applied.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    devencombs wrote: »
    I played the Borg Resurgence event and claimed the Cyclic Modulation Ground Weaponry Pack. I used the pack against the Borg on Defera and in the "Into the Hive" TFO. Overall, I am less than impressed.

When using any of the cyclic weapons, when the Borg adapt to one of the energy types, switching to a new energy type takes about 2 seconds or so before you can start firing again. Compare this to the instant remodulation of the Phaser Battle Rifle when using the MACO set. Furthermore, once the Borg have adapted to all the energy types that the cyclic weapon can fire, you still have to remodulate, either by using a basic 4-second remodulator, the enhanced 3-second remodulator, or the instant MACO remodulator. If you're going to use energy weapons against the Borg, your best bet is the MACO set with the Phaser Battle Rifle and instant remodulator.

My favorite weapon against the Borg and any other ground enemy is the TR-166b Sniper Rifle and the Zeframe Cochrane Shotgun. Kinetic weapons ignore shields, and the Borg cannot adapt to them. In my opinion, they are the most valuable ground weapons in the game.

However, I can see where the cyclic weapons can be useful. If you have a personal endeavor that requires ground based tetryon damage for example, go to a ground invasion zone, switch your cyclic weapon to tetryon, and start firing. Your endeavor will be completed in no time. Just make sure the ground invasion zone is not Defera.

So what are your thoughts?

I can only think:

1) Not everyone has the MACO set (I do on one of my characters).
    2) It's still faster that using a replicated remodulation device.
    3) They didn't want to invalidate or give a reason to no longer obtain the MACO ground set.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    i have to agree with the OP , they dont seem really viable for what there supposed to be for , while for normal play outside of needed modulation there a neat looking weapon to be different for other content and for doing ground endeavors , personally i like a melee weapon or the proper physical weapon type like TR and the shotgun or thompson , or the MACO sets , i typically just switch to a melee or the shotty for one of my slots .i keep the 4 sec mod for using my non Maco ranged if i need to shoot from a distance
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    3) They didn't want to invalidate or give a reason to no longer obtain the MACO ground set.
    They invalidated the MACO ground set years ago with the TR rifle, then kept on shooting the dead horse with the shotty and the tommygun. And tossing Leck's knives at it for good measure.

There is simply zero reason to use anything that isn't immune to adaptation against the borg at all.
    quepan wrote: »
    i have to agree with the OP , they dont seem really viable for what there supposed to be for , while for normal play outside of needed modulation there a neat looking weapon to be different for other content and for doing ground endeavors , personally i like a melee weapon or the proper physical weapon type like TR and the shotgun or thompson , or the MACO sets , i typically just switch to a melee or the shotty for one of my slots .i keep the 4 sec mod for using my non Maco ranged if i need to shoot from a distance
    They are for...getting the "do X type damage on ground" endeavors without switching weapons. Nothing else.

Don't get me wrong, that's actually a better reason to exist than a lot of other event trinkets. But it's got nothing to do with the borg.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    warpangel wrote: »
    They invalidated the MACO ground set years ago with the TR rifle, then kept on shooting the dead horse with the shotty and the tommygun. And tossing Leck's knives at it for good measure.

There is simply zero reason to use anything that isn't immune to adaptation against the borg at all.

Pretty much. We've circumvented Borg energy adaptation long, long ago.
    XzRTofz.gif
    Looks like the cmods will now be a go to weapon for borg

Why? Check the new borg updates

If you hammer a borg with shield bypassing stuff they can steal the shield of other borgs to heal their hp - but if they have shield damage it does not occur
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Then it pays to get them all dying at once with a Cryo/Flash Freeze whatever.

Last night I upgraded Leck's Throwing Knives and the CMod Compression Pistol and went to Defera to check them out. The Knives were great (I normally use the TR-116B or Thompson), the CMod not so great. I was expecting an auto CMod. After I beamed back up I read the More Details and realized I had to press 3 to invoke it. I went back and tried it again. It worked well.

You know, with them being over secretive about this they let the CMod weapons get trashed in the Forums where they could have blunted all of that with communication instead of springing a change to the Borg with the Patch Notes on execution.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited January 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    Then it pays to get them all dying at once with a Cryo/Flash Freeze whatever.

Last night I upgraded Leck's Throwing Knives and the CMod Compression Pistol and went to Defera to check them out. The Knives were great (I normally use the TR-116B or Thompson), the CMod not so great. I was expecting an auto CMod. After I beamed back up I read the More Details and realized I had to press 3 to invoke it. I went back and tried it again. It worked well.

You know, with them being over secretive about this they let the CMod weapons get trashed in the Forums where they could have blunted all of that with communication instead of springing a change to the Borg with the Patch Notes on execution.

Indeed...if it was me, I would have made some blog posts about a tfo group who infiltrated a borg cube only to learn the borg there had adapted and gained many new tricks - the tr rifles equipped to the team falling short as the borg regenerated their health from others shields - Luckily the team were testing cmod weapons at the time as well which proved valuable as it prevented this healing ability as [insert technobabble about shield harmonics interation with structural fiels]

Maybe even add to the log references to the other new abilities such as the terror of the protodrone ambush that caught a few of the team and the assimilation innoculations now proving futile as they were swiftly brought under hive control

If they had done that, we could have understood why the weapons were so valuable and why you wanted them (I have several friends who skipped the event who are now lamenting not doing it as they thought it was a lackluster weapon system)

If your guy is a tac, the knives, trajectory bending and the Risa tac power (gravimetric shear, I think) is an awesome combination - The new(ish) disco melee headset is pretty epic too as you can treat engage like the knife primary (and engage punching so hard you make a gravitational rupture from a mobs face never gets old)
  • wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited February 2020

Thanks for the tip...somehow I had overlooked that drone. Combine that drone with Thompson secondary fire (and Thomson gun has +100 crit severity) plus Trajectory Bending (another +100 crit severity) on a character that has 40% crit chance, pretty much everything melts (though it kinda did even without the drone, I never complain about more dps).

This discussion has been closed.