test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Picard predictions

2»

Comments

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I predict a lot of people will come here to express how much they dislike Star Trek: Picard because:

- "According to the fanfics and wild speculation from hipster 'experts' I read on the InterWebz, something something is missing/done incorrectly. Since the people making Star Trek: Picard do not know anything about Star Trek, I don't like it!"
    - "It's NOT TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT/DSC!! So I have use every opportunity I can to tell everyone else how much I hate Star Trek: Picard!"
    - "I'm don't care one way or the other about Star Trek:Picard. I'm just here to take another opportunity to remind the rest of you how much I hate JJTrek and/or Star Trek: Discovery. Just like I took the last 10,000 opportunities to do so."
    - "Data(really, any character from TNG. Including Wesley Crusher.) isn't a regular! This show sucks!"
    - "Data(really, any character from TNG. Including Wesley Crusher.) is a regular! This show sucks!"
    - "My forum buddy, BasementHipster1138, doesn't like Star Trek: Picard! So I don't either!"
    - "According to TNG E9:S10 at the 45.12.0001 mark, __________ cannot exist in 2399. Since the show got such an insignificant detail horribly, terribly, world-endingly wrong, It spoiled the whole show for me."
    - "It's NOT cannon! Hell, it isn't even beam!"

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »
    In fact it generally considered that TNG didn't find itself until season 3, with season 1 and 2 considered "TOS without the fun"

I agree with this too. I can't think of any Trek that has so far had a blockbuster amazing start. Voyager, for all its faults, may have had a good start, but bogged down because of the half backed Klingons, aka Kazon. After they left them behind it was a bit better. DS9 probably didn't have as good a start, yet is held as one of the best in the franchise. And as you pointed out, TNG didn't really get its footing until season 3. I think that was actually when Gene backed off on control over the series, and when they switched to the uniforms we all know and love from TNG.

Season-Wise, I don't know if DS9 had a good start, but the pilot might be the best Star Trek pilot actually. The reason is that Sisko's story is very... human and Star Trek. As he is talking with the Prophets and trying to explain "linear" time - something very philosophical and abstract -, he's also dealing with his own emotional trauma, the tragic loss of a loved one - something very human and relatable. He is a broken man, but thanks to what happens on his new post, he can start to mend again.
    (Amusingly, he is also put in a situation that some skeptical viewer might sympathize with - he isn't even sure if he wants to be on DS9. And thanks to the events of the episode, he decides to stay - and so hopefully some of the skeptical viewers.)

But it wasn't perfect, because I didn't really grasped the full meaning of the story when I first saw it as a child - maybe I wasn't emotionally ready for it. Or I've gotten soft with age.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    "It's NOT cannon! Hell, it isn't even beam!"

You win the thread.