test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Changing STO lore [SPOILERS for Star Trek: Picard]

snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
So now that the new Picard series is awfully destroying most of our good Star Trek lore, will Star Trek Online be changed to follow the lore laid down in Star Trek Picard?
For example Mars is totalled destroyed and is a huge fireball by the 2400's, will it be removed from the game? What about the lore about the Excalibur being developed there etc?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    STO will just be a parallel universe rather than Prime going forward. There was always a strong possibility of that being the case, but we never knew for sure until now.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    RNGesus, people, at least put some spoiler tags if you're going to start discussing things from new episodes.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Who says the Federation didn't find a way to stop the Mars fires and rebuild Utopia Planitia in the 10 years between Picard and STO?

Because it's established that the crust of the planet is physically destroyed, Mars is only a small fireball from 2380 to the 2400's. Nothing to build on, it's totally destroyed.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I sure hope not. The Mars thing is patently absurd and is beyond disbelief. You expect them to take some liberties with what is physically possible in science fiction, but that's just nonsense.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > Not sure where you got this from, but no, it isn't.
    >
    > All they say in Picard is that the synths attacked, and that the attack ignited the gases in the planetary atmosphere, which caused the planet to be on fire to this day. They make no mention of the entire planetary crust being destroyed.

Exactly, heck it doesn't even suggest Mars is unoccupied during ST: Picard, these flare ups in the atmosphere could be only occasional.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    I would take the direction from STP with a small grain of salt...they have already neuter DATA's history from the Countdown comic book. They align the Discovery Verse with the Picard verse (as stated previously by a CBS exec, that the series will be a hybrid of both)

And...they may have or not, distance the Current look of ST, from the Kelvin timeline.

And for Mars burning, and still is...is lazy writing. For the amount of technology possessed by the Federation, that fire would have been out, and the rebuilding would have begun. The UP is too important to be left alone burning.

Just too important.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    Utopia Planita's GONE. this is an attack that ignited the atmosphere of the planet. even if the UFP managed to get those fires under control/put out the damage is going to be immense, like "hit by a nuke" immense. best case scenerio... there's some high value data stored in high protection areas that survived to be recovered, but yeah, UP would need to be completely rebuild, it's just as likely that other federation ship yards will be upgraded instead. more cost effective. rebuilding UP would require them to completely recolonize Mars (that'll happen anyway but it'll take time and be expensive) rebuild the ship yards etc. personally I'd like to see some focus given to other federation members, it'd be kinda neat seeing the next enterprise launched over Tellar, Vulcan or Andor

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Utopia Planita's GONE. this is an attack that ignited the atmosphere of the planet. even if the UFP managed to get those fires under control/put out the damage is going to be immense, like "hit by a nuke" immense. best case scenerio... there's some high value data stored in high protection areas that survived to be recovered, but yeah, UP would need to be completely rebuild, it's just as likely that other federation ship yards will be upgraded instead. more cost effective. rebuilding UP would require them to completely recolonize Mars (that'll happen anyway but it'll take time and be expensive) rebuild the ship yards etc. personally I'd like to see some focus given to other federation members, it'd be kinda neat seeing the next enterprise launched over Tellar, Vulcan or Andor

Considering that real life cities that were literally hit with a nuke were eventually rebuilt (yes Hiroshima and Nagasaki still exist today and IIRC are fairly prominent cities) and rebuilding Utopia Planitia would be seen as symbolic gesture (especially if it comes to light that the "synth" attack had going for it then just some badly treated androids).

I can see them rebuilding Utopia Planitia just to show the galaxy that the synth attack didn't crush them. Is it efficient use of resources, no not really but it is logical.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    STO is better off NOT trying to stick to the "prime timeline" canon, IMO. While canon has it's purposes, it can also handcuff story. I'm completely fine with STO being one of the many parallel timelines in the Trek universe and having the extra freedom to go along with it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Considering that real life cities that were literally hit with a nuke were eventually rebuilt (yes Hiroshima and Nagasaki still exist today and IIRC are fairly prominent cities) and rebuilding Utopia Planitia would be seen as symbolic gesture (especially if it comes to light that the "synth" attack had going for it then just some badly treated androids).

I can see them rebuilding Utopia Planitia just to show the galaxy that the synth attack didn't crush them. Is it efficient use of resources, no not really but it is logical.

yes Mars will be rebuilt, but the TIME would be considerable. (I used the nuking to note the level of damage done. the planet's basicly been flattered, and given the nature of the damage they'd have to likely work to give it an atmosphere all over again. we're talking 50-100 years work even with present federation tech, unless they're willing to ressurect the genisis device).

and in the meantime UP's not gonna be a thing, or a greatly reduced thing (nothing stopping them from keeping the orbital docks staffed) I imagine a lot of other ship yards will be quietly pushing for increased funding to expand while this happens. there isn't a currancy in the federation anymore no, but I imagine each shipyard takes pride in the ships it produces and there's compeition for the spot of "the federations premier shipyard"
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I honestly think we need to see the whole first season play out before the Devs have to make a final decision about these questions.
    So things still seem dire for Mars in 2399. We have no idea if the show has a reason to revisit the Mars question before seasons end. How do we know a certain scientific mind isn't hiding out under that fiery atmosphere? Who is to say that by 2409, that a newer shipyard isn't possible? We simply don't know enough one way or the other. The state of androids is also up in the air. IMO, the game need not rush too quickly to align with that situation one way or the other. Until more is clear. The game license isn't going anywhere.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @psiameese said:
    > I honestly, think we need to see the whole first season play out before the Devs have to make a final decision about these questions.
    > (Spoiler)

I agree , way, way too soon for devs to know what to do about the first season of Picard in STO, we've seen only 1 episode.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    the cryptic staff have supposedly seen up to 3, though​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    They could easily say the fires are out and UP is rebuilt by 2409. Hell ESD gets wrecked twice and rebuilt in the span of a year.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Not to mention that the bulk of the shipyard is in orbit, not on the ground, and they could rebuild that using ESD facilities and tow it to Mars easily enough if they wanted to. For that matter, with warp shuttles people could easily commute to Mars orbit from Earth or Titan or whatever every day so they would not even have to wait for Mars to burn out and be recolonized first, it would take less time than the average US commute does nowadays.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I find the whole A.I. Insurgency pretty trite, really. And utterly unnecessary. And, believe me, if they leveled Mars, they would not have stopped there, and have taken out their directly reachable, and most prominent, enemy first: EARTH.

And cloning Data's entire positronic brain from a single cell?! C'mon!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I find the whole A.I. Insurgency pretty trite, really. And utterly unnecessary. And, believe me, if they leveled Mars, they would not have stopped there, and have taken out their directly reachable, and most prominent, enemy first: EARTH.

Supposedly the positronic brains have a form of holographic information storage which would mean a small part would have a copy of the whole thing more or less. Not sure if something like that would be practical but it is good enough for TV science fiction (which tends to be more fantasy-like) anyway.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    yes Mars will be rebuilt, but the TIME would be considerable. (I used the nuking to note the level of damage done. the planet's basicly been flattered, and given the nature of the damage they'd have to likely work to give it an atmosphere all over again. we're talking 50-100 years work even with present federation tech, unless they're willing to ressurect the genisis device).

and in the meantime UP's not gonna be a thing, or a greatly reduced thing (nothing stopping them from keeping the orbital docks staffed) I imagine a lot of other ship yards will be quietly pushing for increased funding to expand while this happens. there isn't a currancy in the federation anymore no, but I imagine each shipyard takes pride in the ships it produces and there's compeition for the spot of "the federations premier shipyard"

Where are you pulling these figures? People, stop raging about the new shows destroying everything you know and love. Mars is burning in PIC. And then, in 2405 or so, they reverse the polaron flow of the atmospheric deflectors while bombarding the outer atmosphere with subnucleonic tetryons and it'll be fine again.

Sheesh.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

Yeah that is absurd too. It is literally no different than cloning your hard drive from a single electron. A positron is simply an antimatter electron, an electron with a positive charge. It would have made more sense and been perfectly believable if they just said they downloaded it from B4. Why go with utter fantasy? This is supposed to be science fiction.

Mars continuing to burn is impossible which is really what bothers me most with the Mars thing. It seems like this show has no science advisors.

As anyone should know, if you have a fire there are several ways to end it. Deprive it of O2, deprive it of fuel or deprive it of heat. Cover a grease fire with a lid and what happens? It suffocates and dies. I'm open to other possibilities of why Mars is still burning, but I see no reason to believe it is anything other than your standard O2 combustion which is why suggesting it is still burning 10ish years later is absurd.

If the atmosphere of Mars was ignited, which is actually fairly plausible in the right circumstances that could plausibly have made it a ticking time bomb, then what happens? The O2 burns with whatever fuel is available until there is no more O2 or no more fuel. What that does not do is destroy the atmosphere, it just tuns all that O2 into various combustion products.

The planetwide fire would last a week at best, probably no more than a few days, as the O2 is quickly gobbled up and in the process kills all the plants that are likely the only sources of both O2 and fuel as the Federation has long since moved beyond using combustibles for any serious applications. And once the fire dies, the heat necessary for that chain reaction is going to dissipate.

I'd say its even plausible there are a lot of survivors who survived in airtight buildings made from the future materials the Federation has, and could be beamed out before their building turned into an unlivable oven or ran out of O2 itself. There would unquestionably be a lot of damage, but not necessarily catastrophic, except to the ecosphere. Rebuilding would really not be that big of a problem in the end, as Earth is right there, most of the materials the buildings are made of are probably not actually that combustible, but may well take damage from the heat and should be salvageable if not repairable.

But once the fire is out, what are you left with? It is the aftermath of a forestfire. Burnt plants everywhere with some seeds and roots surviving in an atmosphere extremely rich in CO2. They would very quickly start to regrow like every forest after a fire, and start reoxygenating the atmosphere, provided they can also get the water they need, and the Federation can obviously hasten that process.

Now on Earth forests take a while to regrow thanks to extremely low CO2 levels, however as Mars was supposedly terraformed by adding more CO2 to the atmosphere until the pressure was high enough to raise the temperature to a livable level, then Mars could be an insane farming colony and these forests would regrow at an amazing pace. As greenhouse operators know, if you pump in more CO2 into your greenhouse, plants grow significantly larger in the same amount of time. It is also a fact that as CO2 levels on Earth rise today, it is getting greener based on satellite photos. Of course, this issue could also be what created the ticking time bomb in the first place, producing way more O2 than was consumed leading to an ever growing O2 concentration in the atmosphere just waiting for the spark.

Therefore I conclude it is actually plausible that Mars is mostly back to normal by the time STO starts. It certainly is not still a fireball.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User

My theory is that it's basically the same as the STO Romulan arc. The Tal Shiar vs. the Republic. The Tal Shiar wanted a lot of their people to be killed so the attack was specifically to stop the rescue mission. They took over the synthetics to do this. With less people they have a better chance of coming to rule.

For me the biggest lore questions is with B4 not becoming Data. But I think this might be unresolved in Picard. I mean they were able to make daughters from something. So maybe Data is out there somewhere in some format.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Not to mention that the bulk of the shipyard is in orbit, not on the ground, and they could rebuild that using ESD facilities and tow it to Mars easily enough if they wanted to. For that matter, with warp shuttles people could easily commute to Mars orbit from Earth or Titan or whatever every day so they would not even have to wait for Mars to burn out and be recolonized first, it would take less time than the average US commute does nowadays.

The way it sounds from the show, that the ships were built on the ground * references from the Kelvin Timeline* and then finish in space. *although never mentioned in full to how the ships were built period*

Second, the Mars atmosphere was flammable? How the heck is that so, and why? If you are ship building on the planet, wouldn't you have atmosphere scrubbers to cut down the toxic effects.

Mars looks to be designated as a pure Industrial site with no care to the atmosphere.

As per the usual, lazy writing...

Yeah that is absurd too. It is literally no different than cloning your hard drive from a single electron. A positron is simply an antimatter electron, an electron with a positive charge. It would have made more sense and been perfectly believable if they just said they downloaded it from B4. Why go with utter fantasy? This is supposed to be science fiction.

Mars continuing to burn is impossible which is really what bothers me most with the Mars thing. It seems like this show has no science advisors.

As anyone should know, if you have a fire there are several ways to end it. Deprive it of O2, deprive it of fuel or deprive it of heat. Cover a grease fire with a lid and what happens? It suffocates and dies. I'm open to other possibilities of why Mars is still burning, but I see no reason to believe it is anything other than your standard O2 combustion which is why suggesting it is still burning 10ish years later is absurd.

If the atmosphere of Mars was ignited, which is actually fairly plausible in the right circumstances that could plausibly have made it a ticking time bomb, then what happens? The O2 burns with whatever fuel is available until there is no more O2 or no more fuel. What that does not do is destroy the atmosphere, it just tuns all that O2 into various combustion products.

The planetwide fire would last a week at best, probably no more than a few days, as the O2 is quickly gobbled up and in the process kills all the plants that are likely the only sources of both O2 and fuel as the Federation has long since moved beyond using combustibles for any serious applications. And once the fire dies, the heat necessary for that chain reaction is going to dissipate.

I'd say its even plausible there are a lot of survivors who survived in airtight buildings made from the future materials the Federation has, and could be beamed out before their building turned into an unlivable oven or ran out of O2 itself. There would unquestionably be a lot of damage, but not necessarily catastrophic, except to the ecosphere. Rebuilding would really not be that big of a problem in the end, as Earth is right there, most of the materials the buildings are made of are probably not actually that combustible, but may well take damage from the heat and should be salvageable if not repairable.

But once the fire is out, what are you left with? It is the aftermath of a forestfire. Burnt plants everywhere with some seeds and roots surviving in an atmosphere extremely rich in CO2. They would very quickly start to regrow like every forest after a fire, and start reoxygenating the atmosphere, provided they can also get the water they need, and the Federation can obviously hasten that process.

Now on Earth forests take a while to regrow thanks to extremely low CO2 levels, however as Mars was supposedly terraformed by adding more CO2 to the atmosphere until the pressure was high enough to raise the temperature to a livable level, then Mars could be an insane farming colony and these forests would regrow at an amazing pace. As greenhouse operators know, if you pump in more CO2 into your greenhouse, plants grow significantly larger in the same amount of time. It is also a fact that as CO2 levels on Earth rise today, it is getting greener based on satellite photos. Of course, this issue could also be what created the ticking time bomb in the first place, producing way more O2 than was consumed leading to an ever growing O2 concentration in the atmosphere just waiting for the spark.

Therefore I conclude it is actually plausible that Mars is mostly back to normal by the time STO starts. It certainly is not still a fireball.

All of DATA's creation is artificial, not one part of him is organic, expect in the ST movie with the Borg Queen, give him some flesh on the arm, which was later removed by the gas in engineering.

They are pushing *the show writers*, you can get life or memories reading from a single neuron from DATA. all parts of him was internally powered for him to remain active. And when that power is gone, none of the so called neurons don't retain any information, cause they are just pathways to pass instructions for functionality.

His entire brain is the key on what makes him, for his personality, to how he interacts with his surrounds, and to how he learns to see the differences between things. It is like saying, oh...your RAM memory on your PC has a hidden code to how your PC works, and we can get the basic or essence information layout to how it works.

*Face palm*

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    STO is better off NOT trying to stick to the "prime timeline" canon, IMO. While canon has it's purposes, it can also handcuff story. I'm completely fine with STO being one of the many parallel timelines in the Trek universe and having the extra freedom to go along with it.

I on the other hand have no problem with Star Trek Online sticking to the Prime timeline canon and that it does not handcuff story. Also, even the Prime timeline has been temporally affected by events in the Star Trek TV shows and movies.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »

I on the other hand have no problem with Star Trek Online sticking to the Prime timeline canon and that it does not handcuff story. Also, even the Prime timeline has been temporally affected by events in the Star Trek TV shows and movies.

It may be nearly impossible that STO stays canon, for example, look at the Android ban, we have Androis BOFFs.. are they going to remove them?
    Romulan story arc may be completly diferent to Picards (we may see yet, but is possible).
    Borg story also may change from Picard, and especialy the liberated Borg story.

I agree, we need to wait until seasons end, but is possible that the best way foward is to make STO an alter universe.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    truewarper wrote: »

The way it sounds from the show, that the ships were built on the ground * references from the Kelvin Timeline* and then finish in space. *although never mentioned in full to how the ships were built period*

Second, the Mars atmosphere was flammable? How the heck is that so, and why? If you are ship building on the planet, wouldn't you have atmosphere scrubbers to cut down the toxic effects.

Mars looks to be designated as a pure Industrial site with no care to the atmosphere.

As per the usual, lazy writing...

This is one reason I don't even watch TV anymore, just my dvd and vhs libraries.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    truewarper wrote: »

Mars was the perfect place for a shipyard because of the low gravity. The major parts of the spaceframe for vessels, in Federation ships usually being saucer, engineering section and nacelle's were built and assembled on the surface of Mars.

Once completed, they were lifted into the orbital facilities in order to be fully assembled into a starship, according to the tech manuals from TNG era. You can also kinda see a glimpse of this in one of the TNG episodes.

Once the ship was whole so to speak, it would usually be moved into a closed drydock for interior construction.

Here you see the saucer, engineering section and nacelle's of a Galaxy Class starship being constructed on the surface of Mars.

latest?cb=20141225193032&path-prefix=en

This discussion has been closed.