test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OMEGA GRIND NOW A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »
    dark4blood wrote: »
    ^This will NOT help botting, as now everyone will have to Omega farm because you can only get them once a year. This literally is just punishing actual players into hoarding for an entire year worth of Omegas or be screwed for upgrades.
    Why would anyone need to farm Omegas when the Phoenix box now runs 365 days a year, and Phoenix upgrades are better?

Really, at this point, Omega upgrades aren't worth it.

i beg to differ... Omega is better if your after quality upgrades... Phoenix is bought using dil upfront... so to say it costs zero dil to upgrade is misleading. Omega really does not cost any dil and has 4 times quality upgrade, for those chasing Epic it is the way to go.
    Omega is worse for quality upgrades. In the time it takes to get Omega even with the x2 upgrade over Phoenix you could have had way more Phoenix units. Why waste massively more hours grinding Omega when you can get more total quality upgrades for less time via Phoenix?

Another way to put it 2 Phoenix are better then 1 Omega and in the time it takes to get 1 Omega you can get a lot more then 2 Phoenix. I can upgrade to Epic a lot easier via Phoenix then I could via Omega.

^^ Fully agreed. Also, drop in a research quality improvement at the right time, and the odds for Phoenix become even better.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Well, this certainly plays well with the EC sink Borticus asked about last year, but it does make it problematic for all of those that don't have the time to spare for more than the daily or that, for whatever reason, find themselves unable to play at all.

And as someone already said, we don't know how much the increase will actually be, so we have no way of comparing anything.​​

How does this have anything to do with an EC sink? Even if people now rush to buy what components remain on the exchange, that isn't an EC sink, since no EC is destroyed in the process. That is an EC transfer mechanism.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Does this effect current particles you already have? nope not... they would increase in value then =) hit the exchange and hoard for resale later!

I tried selling some not to long ago and they didn't sell, good thing lol
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The big thing about the Anniversary is that you need to run this Particle hunt for 20 days instead of 15 (or if you just hated doing Episodes but didn't mind eye bleeding busy work) 25.

They really don't like doing Episodes much anymore, do they?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I do like the "can be combined with varying amounts of Refined Dilithium to produce [Mark] and [Rarity] variations of the Omega Upgrade" assuming the Dil cost isn't outrageous. We all know people will choosing the Rarity unless the Mark one far outstrips the Phoenix Upgrades.

I do not like the BoA. As someone who doesn't have time to grind my face off I did like buying the basics and Slivers. They were the most cost effective to buy and craft from. I hope that instead the final product (aka non-material) will be buy-able?

At least the mini-game won't be so stingy this time. Needing 81 slivers was a pain to make 1 Upgrade. Those 3:1 ratios per crafting step really pile up after 4 iterations!

*Looks at Exchange*
    Yeah, prices for the 'old' unbound mats have jumped 123% to 370% from when I checked last year. (I made an Excel spreadsheet last year.) So atm... an Omega Upgrade will cost you 3.3M-4.5M EC, where last year it was 1.5M to 1.8M. :s
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I purchased the Omega bits of various colors on the Exchange, myself... to complete half done upgrades. :( I am really not very good at the game and collect more slivers than anything else. It was nice to be able to round the numbers I was able to collect to finish the upgrades.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    The big thing about the Anniversary is that you need to run this Particle hunt for 20 days instead of 15 (or if you just hated doing Episodes but didn't mind eye bleeding busy work) 25.

Episodes tend to be more, do them for the rewards, forget they exist afterwards. They have no reason to replay outside of that. Sure you can waste hours farming them for drops to sell to a vendor. But, if you're going to do that, just set each character up for sector space speed, and run tour the galaxy. A full run takes 15 minutes, per character. If you complete beta and half of alpha, you get 750-800K, per character. A full run is 1mil. How many hours of farming does it take to make that from selling TRIBBLE to a vendor?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    *Looks at Exchange*
    Yeah, prices for the 'old' unbound mats have jumped 123% to 370% from when I checked last year. (I made an Excel spreadsheet last year.) So atm... an Omega Upgrade will cost you 3.3M-4.5M EC, where last year it was 1.5M to 1.8M. :s

Which makes sense as they are now in limited supply.. once they're gone.. they're gone, that jacks up the price.

Had the change not been made, they would have been near worthless once the event actually started. Either way, they're just EC traps for people that don't know any better. Even if they were still able to be traded, the year around Phoenix change already made them a very poor choice for people looking to make EC.

For people that planned to farm these to sell, all Cryptic did with this change was prevent you from wasting your time. Instead of being all huffy, you should probably thank them. Your plan was not going to work because you were going to spend hours farming a near worthless resource.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    anodynes wrote: »
    Well, this certainly plays well with the EC sink Borticus asked about last year, but it does make it problematic for all of those that don't have the time to spare for more than the daily or that, for whatever reason, find themselves unable to play at all.

And as someone already said, we don't know how much the increase will actually be, so we have no way of comparing anything.

How does this have anything to do with an EC sink? Even if people now rush to buy what components remain on the exchange, that isn't an EC sink, since no EC is destroyed in the process. That is an EC transfer mechanism.
    Plays well with an EC sink =/= is an EC sink.

Apparently not :/​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    If the idea is to combat bots then sure BTA is ok but they need to throw the player base a bone. Get rid of slivers, traces and just reward fragments or at the very least give out a lot more fragments if they don't want to change the crafting aspect of it. The main reason I sell and don't craft these myself is there are too many hoops to jump through to craft the upgrade tech.
  • iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Cryptic's plan seems to be "You will play what we tell you, when we make it available, or do without".

This sadly seems to be a theme most game developers are moving towards. "Have fun playing our game, so long as you play exactly as WE think it should be played. Don't and we'll start making changes so that you HAVE to..."
    Between this and the recent blatant Cash Grabs i'm getting kind of upset. It's still one of the only games ill play, but...

Also, i still suck at this minigame so, even if i grind it, ill probably get very few omega upgrades out of it...

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    ^This will NOT help botting, as now everyone will have to Omega farm because you can only get them once a year. This literally is just punishing actual players into hoarding for an entire year worth of Omegas or be screwed for upgrades.
    Why would anyone need to farm Omegas when the Phoenix box now runs 365 days a year, and Phoenix upgrades are better?

^Phoenix upgrades are not better for upgrading from mk II VR to mk anything Gold... Obviously you don't know how to use upgrades or you would know this.
    Phoenix are better now. You might have to use more of them up but you will have way more of them for less time spent. Upgrading to gold via Omega will takes many hours of extra grinding. For cutting down grinding and time saved Phoenix are better.

Come on, if you think that making a mk go to gold is easier with Phoenix I literally can't take you seriously or you are just a noob.
    I don’t think, I know because I tested, its basic math. With the way I play I can get to gold easier via Phoenix then Omega.
    Getting enough Omega to get an item to gold will take me hours of extra grinding and hours of extra work compared to getting the same item to gold via Phoenix which requires massively less time and massively less effort.

I cannot see any advantage or reason to change my play-style and swap from Phoenix to Omega. When I could buy Omega I used to buy it and swap between Omega and Phoenix. But now with today's changes using large stacks of Phoenix is better and easier for me then getting hold of large stacks of Omega. So I can get my item to gold easier via Phoenix .
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    I would not assume that the particles still on the exchange (or in the bot's banks) will be tradeable after the event starts; I'm not going to take any chances with the ones in fleet bank storage, either. Best bet is to get any leftover traces into account or personal banks, and use them up while we can. :*
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

^Phoenix upgrades are not better for upgrading from mk II VR to mk anything Gold... Obviously you don't know how to use upgrades or you would know this.
    Phoenix are better now. You might have to use more of them up but you will have way more of them for less time spent. Upgrading to gold via Omega will takes many hours of extra grinding. For cutting down grinding and time saved Phoenix are better.

Come on, if you think that making a mk go to gold is easier with Phoenix I literally can't take you seriously or you are just a noob.
    I don’t think, I know because I tested, its basic math. With the way I play I can get to gold easier via Phoenix then Omega.
    Getting enough Omega to get an item to gold will take me hours of extra grinding and hours of extra work compared to getting the same item to gold via Phoenix which requires massively less time and massively less effort.

I cannot see any advantage or reason to change my play-style and swap from Phoenix to Omega. When I could buy Omega I used to buy it and swap between Omega and Phoenix. But now with today's changes using large stacks of Phoenix is better and easier for me then getting hold of large stacks of Omega. So I can get my item to gold easier via Phoenix .
    And? Again, because apparently it wasn't clear enough all the other times it has been said: it's not a question of technology points, but of quality points and Omegas still gives 4x of those, while Phoenix does not.

No one is saying that grinding Omegas takes the same time it takes to grind Phoenix, so your "testing" amounts to absolutely nothing but a pure want to debunk something that cannot be debunked: Omegas will always gives more quality points that Phoenix.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited January 2020

If you're talking about mk 15, sure, but Omega is still best for mk 2 crafted/lockbox items.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Your fun is not wrong.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Besides, you know, that they have generally been putting out episodes faster then before.
    But not giving worthwhile rewards for playing them.
  • rankavik#9039 rankavik Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    New dance emote <3
    And old ones <3<3
    As new player i dont have old ones and i look forward to get them all, thank you :*:*:*<3<3<3
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »

And as someone already said, we don't know how much the increase will actually be, so we have no way of comparing anything.

Plays well with an EC sink =/= is an EC sink.​​

Great. Now how does it "play well" with it? If they announced that they would be selling something for EC that helped with Omega, that would be one thing, but there's literally nothing here that has anything to do with an EC sink.
    New dance emote <3
    And old ones <3<3
    As new player i dont have old ones and i look forward to get them all, thank you :*:*:*<3<3<3

I like that part, too. It would appear that any contractual period of exclusivity for those emotes with Loot Crate has expired.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • flyingbadgerflyingbadger Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    t5 anniversary ship would make sense at this point
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    t5 anniversary ship would make sense at this point

No, it wouldn't. Tier 6 is the current standard.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    These molecules have been almost worthless in the exchange in the past and now they will be nonexistent for others who don't have to grind and just want to buy or trade. If one thinks that way of "exploiting" the game for selling these molecules why not ban Dillithium or even EC grind? When it comes to it anything could be considered as an "exploit".
    Yet the "real" culprits EC/Gold sellers keep spamming left and right and nothing done about it.

How can the omega game that only occurs one/twice at most per year be considered an exploit by others when the real gold spammers are free to roam lose daily?

Please stop the nonsensical NERFDOOM.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that at least one player used a bot to auto-farm 15,000 omega bits. How is that not an exploit?

The gold sellers probably get a nice chunk of gold to sell every year doing the same botting.

Gold sellers do get banned and filtered in chat, but with a free-to-play game there is no way to stop them from signing up new accounts to spam again. Every MMO I've played has this problem.

Don't you think the same happens with Dilithium and EC? Why don't ban that then? Omega event only comes once in long while. However; EC and DIL bots populate STO hour after hour. I guess better to scorch earth rather than deal with the problem individually.

For 10 years there was NO problem and all of a sudden they just realized Oh s## this is just happening?

Pure laziness is to change specs for all of us and punish ALL rather than just go to the bots individually just IMHO.​​
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    It seems a weird thing to do. There are only so many items in the game that actually get traded between characters. The Omega stuff, I would gather a few myself, then shop on the AH to even up the numbers. It's annoying when you get 320 Yellows, 350 Blues, and only 190 reds.

This won't stop bots from botting it (since they will still want plenty for their own accounts, even if not as many as before). It just stops players from trading for them. This doesn't even create an EC or other sink, basically it's just prevents you from using your own EC for something more useful to you.

I prefer to play a game my way, on my schedule. Sort of "My playstyle generates EC and Dil, and I sometimes purchase Zen, and I get to choose what I do with those things to acquire the stuff I want, but didn't want to grind".

Cryptic's plan seems to be "You will play what we tell you, when we make it available, or do without".

Response to that is you do not need to play what they tell you to play. If you don't want it, do not play for it during the events. Simple.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    I would not say a complete waste of time - The upgrade market had already taken a turn for the worst and a deep dive - especially in the light of the Phoenix Boxes now being perma.

By far the upgrades from the uncommon tokens are far superior to any other upgrade other than the special instant gold upgrade tokens from key ring bundles.

The shards is way too costly to be effective means of creating upgrades - they being bound, will still have itys use as a personal upgrade platform.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Omega event only comes once in a blue moon while EC and DIL bots populate STO hour after hour. I guess better to scorch earth rather than deal with the problem individually.

Omega event comes every year on Anniversary.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    echatty wrote: »
    Omega event only comes once in a blue moon while EC and DIL bots populate STO hour after hour. I guess better to scorch earth rather than deal with the problem individually.

Omega event comes every year on Anniversary.

Ok so what but might as well just retire it IMO...won't waste anytime on it.​​
This discussion has been closed.