test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Worth It? Unique Mission reward weapons upgraded to Epic Mk 15?

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
They start out at VR mk 12... so your not gonna hit Epic at Mk 15... hell you'd be lucky if they hit UR at Mk 15.

But say that you do... is the performance comparable to other Epic Mk 15 weapons... Lock Box & Rep ones?

At T6 Rep... I have both sets of energy weapons... but still not enough to outfit a ship in 1 energy type. If I include the unique mission reward weapons that would help do it for most part... but is it worth it? Obvisouly I wont be upgrading the ship gear from the mission rewards... just the energy weapons, maybe consoles. I doubt the torp would be a good upgrade, unless your doing a torp ship.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Nothing needs to be Epic, Mark XV is the important part. Also, upgrading the consoles and torps to Mark XV non-Epic is often worth it too.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Gold Plating an item isn't absolutely necessary. Just like dave said, Mk XV is good enough. Getting it up to Ultra rare is a nice boost. Gold Plating... eh... only if you want to squeeze out every last decimal point of performance really.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'm not entirely sure what the question is, but the general rule is this: Get everything to mk 15 first. Then worry about UR/Epic.

If you think something isn't worth upgrading to mk 15, why do you have it?

If you want to prioritize which things to push towards UR/Epic first, that is a different question, but only valid if everything is already mk 15. Usually the answer is going to be your forward energy weapons, as the best investments once you're at that stage, but it ultimately depends on your build and strategy.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    not going to? i've hit epic at mk 14 upgrading from 12 - once out of hundreds of items upgraded, granted, but it DID happen and will probably happen at least once more in the future as i continue upgrading items​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    No. Everything worth using is already OP enough to begin with.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    not going to? i've hit epic at mk 14 upgrading from 12 - once out of hundreds of items upgraded, granted, but it DID happen and will probably happen at least once more in the future as i continue upgrading items​​

yes just like opening that 1 gamble box with the sole key you ever bought and getting the grand prize... sure it can happen, wouldnt bet on it thou.

Ok so mk 15 is more important... good to know. I like the epic for the extra boost/mod.

been working on the rep consoles that boost power... most consoles increase power as you upgrade... 2 or 3 do not.

hoping the next rep will have wide dual heavy canons, since we just got the wide dual beam arrays with disc rep.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Like the others have said, the mark is important to hit. If you hit Mk XV and it's still VR, you still have a great item. Even MkXV rare isn't bad if you're just a casual like me.

Gold plating is nice, but not necessary.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    to adress the OP's question, it depends. if the weapon does not have the modifiers that should be on that rarity, I would say no, not worth it. MK level and modifiers are all you need. if you have a VR weapon with only one mod, then you are shortchanging yourself, regardless of MK level
    Spock.jpg

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Considering that the Mk XII mission rewards have been available since the level cap was level 50, endgame mission rewards should be Mk XIV or Mk XV due to the current level cap of level 65.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Nothing absolutely needs to be epic but I still try for it as often as possible. There are some mission rewards that I've upgraded to Mk XV epic over the years including a few space and ground weapons. The item that I upgrade most often though is the Na'kuhl personal shield.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Generally speaking, you do not need to gold plate everything as everyone else has already stated. However, if you can, then sure why not? On my free to play STO account I typically do not push beyond ultra rare quality. But on somethings I have gotten lucky and they are currently epic quality.

Due to limited resources... because I do not play this account very often... I simply push mission reward gear to Mk XV during an Upgrade Weekend. On subsequent Upgrade Weekends I attempt to push them to ultra rare, and once there I simply leave as is until all my gear is ultra rare. After than then I consider upgrading mission gear to epic, but if changing ships / energy weapons means a different mission reward gear (whether old or new) is more appropriate for my ship, then I will obtain it and upgrade it to Mk XV, then attempt to upgrade to ultra rare.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    If you enjoy using it, go ahead and push it to Gold.

Being totally honest, the game just isn't hard enough that you need to min/max things. This isn't entirely a bad thing, it makes it so there is no ground set that you just 'must have' or your going to die a lot or drag your team down.

Like most weapons, if you push these to Mark XV Epic, they'll be well more then you could ever need for any content.

My advice is just upgrade the weapon(s) you most enjoy using and find that you're personally the most effective with. You're going to be just fine either way.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well the new Cyclical Weapons drop out of the Box at Mk XIV if you are Level 60+.

Dont forget a lot of previous Event Rewards dropped at Mk XIII RARE. That is a bear to upgrade.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    If you are low on recourses it’s not really worth it but if you are good on resources it’s absolutely worth it. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well the new Cyclical Weapons drop out of the Box at Mk XIV if you are Level 60+.

Dont forget a lot of previous Event Rewards dropped at Mk XIII RARE. That is a bear to upgrade.

Probably easier to just upgrade from Purple Mk II. :p
  • iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    yes just like opening that 1 gamble box with the sole key you ever bought and getting the grand prize... sure it can happen, wouldnt bet on it thou.

Ok so mk 15 is more important... good to know. I like the epic for the extra boost/mod.

been working on the rep consoles that boost power... most consoles increase power as you upgrade... 2 or 3 do not.

hoping the next rep will have wide dual heavy canons, since we just got the wide dual beam arrays with disc rep.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the bolded item in the quote is already craftable isn't it? At level 15 in cannons research? I've not made it to 20 on beams yet, cause 15 seems sufficient, but I don't think you can craft wide angle dual beam banks...

I'll agree epic is not necessary, though looking at the shiny is nice. With phoenix now available all the time, its much easier to upgrade the mission gear to MK XV VR... a bit of a waste to go for Epic unless the RNG loves you. I decided to go for broke and went for VR to Epic on a MK XV item recently. Using 1.5 research boosts and phoenix i ended up using the 25 i had in stock and was still only at UR....
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    One other thing you could hope for is another event like the Elachi Qulash Frigate event, which, IIRC, is the one that gave the 3 bonus "Weapon-only, Ultimate Tech Upgrade" tokens. Any weapons that start lower (the standard Mk II -> upgrade path) you gold with Omegas/Phoenix, anything you want that starts at a higher level (Mk XII or better), you drop an Ultimate on.

Of course you can also just wait for those key-ring pack sales that contain an Ultimate upgrade.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    It's been a while since we actually had a mission with (worthwhile) upgradeable gear.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    iamjmph wrote: »
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the bolded item in the quote is already craftable isn't it? At level 15 in cannons research? I've not made it to 20 on beams yet, cause 15 seems sufficient, but I don't think you can craft wide angle dual beam banks...

The "fancy" craftable for beams is the omni array.

Anyone that does normal content can make do very easily with just standard mission rewards, mk15's for advanced makes life more bearable but for anything outside elites cranking gear up to epic is just down to the individual player. For a F2P game it's surprisingly light on how it pushes gear upgrades
This discussion has been closed.