test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Command the First Klingon/Federation Ship!

Comments

• lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I could see using this ship on one of my Klingons, but it probably won't get much use on any of my Feds. Trying to marry two different aesthetic styles isn't an easy thing to do, and I think this is a good looking ship. But as a hybrid, it leans too heavily on the Klingon aspects of its style. Give it a KDF hull material and show it to someone who didn't know the back story, and they would probably think it was a 100% Klingon design. I don't know what I would do to give it a more Federation look. Maybe make the saucer larger in diameter, round out some of the hard angles, or maybe give the pod on the back of the ship more of a Nebula style look than Vor'cha/Negh'var.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Statwise this looks like a slightly better Europa so that isn't really saying a lot. The trait seems interesting, but the details matter. I still don't understand the point of 5/3 ships with such poor turn rate. Klingon BCs typically have better turn rates that let them actually use their DHCs with some effort. This isn't one of those ships.

For its looks, I think the skin is particularly off putting. I think the way it emphasizes some parts over others detracts from the overall look.

I really dislike the saucer. It isn't much of a saucer, more like a flattened sphere from the looks of it, as the diameter seems too small to the height. Also the abruptly cutoff rear outer section is awful. It would look better if it blended in to the neck I think. As others stated a spade or elliptical saucer might work better.

I'm not fond of the rear spikes either. What are those? Klingon ships don't really have those.

I think the ship might have looked better with a big Federation style deflector on top of the neck, behind the saucer and the saucer maybe slung lower.

Where are the cannons? That is typical of KDF ships and if this ship is intended to use them, they should be visible somewhere, though maybe I can't find them.

Wings don't work well if they are tiny compared to the saucer. Klingon ships have small heads to the wings, while Romulan ships have large saucers and much larger wings. The worst looking Romulan ships look like they have tiny wings for the giant body/head of the ship, like their MW ships or the Kara and similar designs. This ship seems to suffer from that problem due to the Fedesque saucer in front of classic Klingon wings, so I think wider wings would help there, although again a slimmer elliptical or spade saucer might fix that too.
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    So what are the other ships we are getting? ;)
    LicpEIT.jpg
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The other ships are not going to be free, but probably part of a large pack. Presumably the Ross Galaxy is going to be one of those ships.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    It looks not very different from ships like the Mogh and the Vor'ral, aside from the saucer and colors of course.

It also reminds me of the Earthling-cruiser from Star Control 1 and 2.

Not a bad design, just not quite special in the end.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    clcopeland wrote: »
    I hurled...

We got this instead of long overdue and requested ships like:
    *T6 Federation Science Vessel (Nova/Aurora/Quasar/Rhode Island)
    T6 Star Cruiser (Sentinel/Emissary/Vanguard/Nomad)
    T6 Reconnaissance Science Vessel (Luna/Polaris/Sol/Comet)
    T6 Deep Space Science (Trident/Oracle/Destiny/Nimbus)
    T6 Research Science Vessel (Olympic/Hope/Horizon)
    --- and this is just the Fed side, it does not count Klingon or Romulan ships
    * won the requested ship poll

Because those are Federation starships and event ships are multi-faction?
    I mean I know a lot of players forget this isn't just a starfleet game but.. us other factions do actually exist as playable
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    If I get one, it will be named "Yub Yub"
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I think I have a drydock slot
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    So far I like the stats mostly and the 5/3 weapons layout with a good sit layout.

Looks, ok could had been a lot better, but are decent at least

I think I may name it A.F.S. Frankenstein though since it has a Fed saucer on a KDF hull
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    In a nod to Klingon style:
    A.F.S. Frank'n St'ein
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Not decided on names. Will probably only mastery grind the ship and then remove it from my inventory.
    Unless the customization can bring this design back from the brink of death.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    I think I may name it A.F.S. Frankenstein though since it has a Fed saucer on a KDF hull

As long it's not an A.F.S. Quasimodo it's all fine :D
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    USS eyesore
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    A.F.S Klingoff
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    It looks better than the engineering bundle does.
    Being a blended ship that would mean that Starfleet crew members will have to learn klingoneze in order to fit in on board LOL.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    AFS Please shoot me
    Spock.jpg

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Statwise this looks like a slightly better Europa so that isn't really saying a lot. The trait seems interesting, but the details matter. I still don't understand the point of 5/3 ships with such poor turn rate. Klingon BCs typically have better turn rates that let them actually use their DHCs with some effort. This isn't one of those ships.

With all the buffs available now, turn rate hardly matters anymore for using DHC's. I honestly care more about the Inertia Rating for cannons then I do turn rate, and a 5/3 with a 40 inertia makes this ship very usable for DHC. I would actually prefer it statistically over the Europa which also (in my opinion) isn't a bad ship.

Looks wise.. well, no point arguing there because it's all subjective and personal. But stat wise, while this ship won't be the 'top dog' in the game.. it's certainly not bad. It supports a wide variety of builds and is actually quite versatile.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    I don't mind the look of the ship, I have seen worse. Was not really a fan of the Dyson ships except the Klingon and Romulan variants. Wish the saucer was more circular though. Otherwise, not bad.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I don't mind the look of the ship, I have seen worse. Was not really a fan of the Dyson ships except the Klingon and Romulan variants. Wish the saucer was more circular though. Otherwise, not bad.

At first glance, it looks like the saucer is too big to connect to the rest of the hull. I suppose the extending parts are meant to be some sort of wing tips. I can understand it, but it still looks like 'not fitting on the hull.'
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • dragonturtletimmydragonturtletimmy Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    A.F.S. Changstein El-Gamal if it could fit.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Good job! A pogoball
    2qWOIxd.jpg
    Plus a Qib
    jvuEU85.png
    Becomes
    mvgE0OK.png
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    I honestly appreciate that the article calls it a Klingon/Federation ship because that thing has no Romulan in it and calling it an "Alliance" battlecruiser like it was made with the ingames Alliances input was some hot BS. Rather them just be upfront like they are about it being a Kling/Fed design

Don't forget, back in Kirk's day, the Romulans traded cloaking Technology for a large number of Klingon ship to add to their Fleet, so, in a way, any ship with cloaking technology sort of has a Romulan's hand in it.

So, anyway, I just know that my Klingon Faction Orion will be Captaining one. :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    I've also heard rumor of a new borg-fed hybrid ship!

T8eKJ39.png

Less like a hybrid and more like someone can't drive. :p
    > @smokebailey said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > And it's far better than the pizza cutter we did get. >_>;

Absolutely!

Anyway, I’m usually super critical of Cryptic designs, but I gotta say, I like a lot of this. A couple of saucer options in the ship tailor would be nice though.

80687a9e167c02978379ea7cf9e2cc87--heavy-cruiser-star-trek-ships.jpg
    Yeah, if we had an option for a Resolute style of foreward hull/saucer section, it might be an improvement, but I don't hate it as it is.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I shall be naming mine the 'ThunderCougarFalconBird-A'

Why, was LordGodKingDeathMaster already taken? :p
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    And we don't know yet if it doesn't have any seats or contains Ketracel White closets reflecting a Dominion influence on the design. ;)

God, I hope it doesn't have that red interior lighting.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Dunno about this ship from the standpoint of looks... To me, the saucer looks too small in width in proportion to the back half of the ship. 2/3 of the ship is nacelles and engineering section. The neck needs to be longer and the saucer needs to be flattened by about 33% and 25%-50% wider in diameter. This is the same issue I have with the Vor'ral. It's a great ship, but the proportions "look" wrong, to me at least, on the front half (or 1/3rd in the case of this new ship) of the ship.

I do like the look overall, though... reminds me of the Akira/Thunderchild/Alita, etc. line of ships, which I do love from an aesthetics standpoint.

But, to each their own.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    You know, I wasn't very fond of this ship design at first, because it is just too different from what you would normally expect for ships in Star Trek. But the more I look at it, the more I am growing to like it. The design would look right at home in a number of other scifi universes. Still will probably look better with a darker or more Klingon style hull material though. Maybe I can find some uses for the ship itself after all, not just the console and trait.

And where did the nickname toilet brush ships come from for the Dewan ships? It is a huge insult to the developers who spent long hours designing them. Maybe the reason they haven't been making very many more Romulan ships for the game is because of the overly negative response and horrible nicknames people have thrown around on the forums about the Dewan ships. Perhaps they had wanted to start taking Romulan ship designs in a more Dewan style direction (which may have actually looked really cool if done right), but don't dare now until they change their design plans. Just a thought.

I always thought the the Dewan ship designs looked more like fish and/or shrimp. And for an alien designed ship that would be just fine. I never thought they were truly ugly, just too different a design for my tastes (the Breen ships qualify under this for me as well, but I got all of them for free, so I use them anyway).

Back to this ship, thank you Cryptic for another free anniversary ship this year (which you don't have to do, but do anyway), and for all you have done with this game over the years, trying to make it more enjoyable for all of us. I may still not be happy with you for letting go of the Foundary and the random cluster exploration missions (and a few other minor things), but there are many other thing you have done that have improved the game in my eyes. Plus, you took over and created this game in the first place, after the former company failed. Where would we be without Star Trek Online? Again, thank you.
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
This discussion has been closed.