test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OMEGA GRIND NOW A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!

bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
From notes:

Completing the minigame will always score you a single Omega Trace at the very least. The better you score, the greater your chance to win Omega Slivers, Shards, or even Fragments. Beginning with this year’s update, all Omega materials will be changed to Bind-to-Account-on-Pickup, rather than being tradeable with other players

Why nerfing the traditional Omega grind to bind on pick up really? This was one of the reasons why some of us year after year kept coming to STO. I know many will disagree but just stating this is the WRONG turn for this MMO.​​
Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
Original STO beta tester.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    Omega grind didn't get nerfed. It got buffed. Now people have to grind it for the tech upgrades.
    Pretty much killed any interest I had in doing it outside of the daily.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Removal of trade as an option is still an objective downgrade. The ability to grab what you needed off the Exchange at the end of an event to round out your omega particles was huge, and it allowed people with more EC than time to get their hands on more than they would have been able to otherwise.

Paying out more at lower scores is fine, but that doesn't make up for the loss of tradeability, nor can we know how meaningful this increase even is until we see it in action. Not to mention, said increase doesn't really help people who already did consistently well (when the game doesn't bug out and end early, anyway). So while I don't share OP's all-caps fervor over this, I do agree it's a bad decision.
    >It got nerfed
    >They made the minigame pay out more at lower scores
    >Everything is bound to account so you can still use it among all of your characters
    What exactly got nerfed here again?

Are you saying one of the only reasons you kept coming to STO year after years was so that you could sit there and play a glitchy minigame... just so you could hand over everything you got to other people?

People do it in every mmo. Hell, I spent a better part of a year just logging in to play the exchange.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    Are you saying one of the only reasons you kept coming to STO year after years was so that you could sit there and play a glitchy minigame... just so you could hand over everything you got to other people?

To be fair - you could make a decent amount of EC selling Omega stuff on the Exchange. making it all BTA takes that aspect out of the equation going forward.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Just an FYI, since people apparently can't search for an already existing topic, we'll be merging all of the Omega threads here. Thanks. /Merged
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited January 2020
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I'll never understand binding stuff, gold sellers can't be stopped witout dumb people stopping buying from them anyway.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Does this effect current particles you already have? nope not... they would increase in value then =) hit the exchange and hoard for resale later!
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Well, this certainly plays well with the EC sink Borticus asked about last year, but it does make it problematic for all of those that don't have the time to spare for more than the daily or that, for whatever reason, find themselves unable to play at all.

And as someone already said, we don't know how much the increase will actually be, so we have no way of comparing anything.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I can see Cryptic wanting to get rid of the bot farmers increasing server load. Removing bots will improve server performance for the human players.

A nice quality of life change might be being able to craft the "quality" variant so we can more easily get gear to Epic.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    I can see Cryptic wanting to get rid of the bot farmers increasing server load. Removing bots will improve server performance for the human players.

A nice quality of life change might be being able to craft the "quality" variant so we can more easily get gear to Epic.

Honestly it just means said Bot Farmers will farm a different commodity.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited January 2020
    dark4blood wrote: »
    ^This will NOT help botting, as now everyone will have to Omega farm because you can only get them once a year. This literally is just punishing actual players into hoarding for an entire year worth of Omegas or be screwed for upgrades.
    Why would anyone need to farm Omegas when the Phoenix box now runs 365 days a year, and Phoenix upgrades are better?

Really, at this point, Omega upgrades aren't worth it.

I want some of them for the 4X quality boost, maybe even higher with the new crafting option. That's very useful for things like Mark II lock box weapons.

For "everyday upgrading" yes Phoenix is the way to go. Getting piles of dil is much less work than grinding 81 omega bits.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Just an FYI, since people apparently can't search for an already existing topic, we'll be merging all of the Omega threads here. Thanks. /Merged

^I bet you will...since you know this was a bad move.

Bad move to merge threads to keep the discussion in one place? I think not. But you keep doing you. 😉
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    ^This will NOT help botting, as now everyone will have to Omega farm because you can only get them once a year. This literally is just punishing actual players into hoarding for an entire year worth of Omegas or be screwed for upgrades.
    Why would anyone need to farm Omegas when the Phoenix box now runs 365 days a year, and Phoenix upgrades are better?

I want some of them for the 4X quality boost, maybe even higher with the new crafting option. That's very useful for things like Mark II lock box weapons.

For "everyday upgrading" yes Phoenix is the way to go. Getting piles of dil is much less work than grinding 81 omega bits.
    Agreed. The 4x quality boost is what makes them incredibly useful.
    While having the Phoenix always available is a good thing, they cannot compare to that particular boost.
    And to say that Omegas are not worth it is just a straight up lie.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    ^Consistent how? Summer event items, tradeable...Winter Event items--tradeable. So are you going to nerf those also...yeah, I can't wait to get these fictitious numbers about how many more players are playing this game now. Sorry to say this, you don't have to make a doom thread, just keep making updates like this and the writing will be on the wall.

What's worth more? Winter gubbins that are 90% cosmetic or only usable in Q's Winter Wonderland or crafting mats that make really good tech upgrades that don't require Dilithium?

And again... what's worth more? Summer Gubbins that are pretty much all cosmetic or crafting mats that make really good tech upgrades that don't require Dilithium?

The "Stopping the bot farmers" theory is sound as it could be that the farmers are making dozens of alt accounts to spam the nodes, increasing the load on the server. Hence players complaining about spikes disrupting their collection.

The TRUTH of the matter is we don't have the data Cryptic has access to. So we can only speculate. I admit I mostly did the daily, and every once in a while got extra to post on the Exchange for an EC boost. But for me I really don't see a reason to cry DOOOOOOM over this. Will I miss the extra ECs? A little bit yea. But its not the end of the world. I don't get on STO just to farm Omega Traces to make ECs. My ADD would kick in and I would probably go bananas from sitting in one spot playing Catch a Particle all day.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    The Omega event was honestly the one event that I looked forward to most in this game, simply BECAUSE it was my primary source of Energy Credits for the entire following year. Of course, getting the free upgrades was very nice as well.

Those of us who have the TIME to put into the game, but not the MONEY to do so, found that the Omega event used to be a great equalizer. This decision will not affect the Whales of the game at all, who can convert Cash to Zen to Keys to EC. It will, however, greatly affect those of us who actually play the game to make our Energy Credits. Apparently, you have made a business decision to only cater to the Whales.

Please do not say that it can easily be made up for by converting Dilithium to Zen. With the cap limiting the amount of refined Dilithium you can make per day staying at 8K/day, and the needs for Dilithium in the game ever increasing, this is not an option. At the current exchange rate, it takes 7 days of refining to make enough dilithium to sell one key on the exchange for 5.4 Million EC, or a rate of only 771,000 EC per day, if you do not use your dilithium for anything else, EVER.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited January 2020

Agreed. The 4x quality boost is what makes them incredibly useful.
    While having the Phoenix always available is a good thing, they cannot compare to that particular boost.
    And to say that Omegas are not worth it is just a straight up lie.​​
    Its not a straight up lie for many of us Phoenix is easier to get then Omega and with Phoenix now being active 100% of the time there is no point wasting time grinding Omega or crafting.

I don’t see any point wasting time grinding Omega. Why waste all those extra hours doing something completely boring for no worthwhile advantage?

An hour of earning Phoenix will upgrade more items with more quality then an hour of earning Omega. When you could buy Omega off the exchange they where worth while but now there are a waste of time for me. EDIT: Very, very, quick napkin math and earning Phoenix is approx x10 better then Omega. In that I will get 10 Phoenix for every 1 Omega.

edited January 2020
    treking2 wrote: »
    The Omega event was honestly the one event that I looked forward to most in this game, simply BECAUSE it was my primary source of Energy Credits for the entire following year. Of course, getting the free upgrades was very nice as well.

Those of us who have the TIME to put into the game, but not the MONEY to do so, found that the Omega event used to be a great equalizer. This decision will not affect the Whales of the game at all, who can convert Cash to Zen to Keys to EC. It will, however, greatly affect those of us who actually play the game to make our Energy Credits. Apparently, you have made a business decision to only cater to the Whales.

Please do not say that it can easily be made up for by converting Dilithium to Zen. With the cap limiting the amount of refined Dilithium you can make per day staying at 8K/day, and the needs for Dilithium in the game ever increasing, this is not an option. At the current exchange rate, it takes 7 days of refining to make enough dilithium to sell one key on the exchange for 5.4 Million EC, or a rate of only 771,000 EC per day, if you do not use your dilithium for anything else, EVER.

For credit farming:
    - Endeavors
    - Admiralty
    - Free Doff Recruitment missions
    - Sell loot drops
    - Exchange PVP

Also, people keep starting threads to complain about server lag, and getting rid of the bots and super-grinders is one way to help with that.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited January 2020

^Phoenix upgrades are not better for upgrading from mk II VR to mk anything Gold... Obviously you don't know how to use upgrades or you would know this.
    Phoenix are better now. You might have to use more of them up but you will have way more of them for less time spent. Upgrading to gold via Omega will takes many hours of extra grinding. For cutting down grinding and time saved Phoenix are better.
  • treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    For credit farming:
    - Endeavors, Admiralty, Free Doff Recruitment missions, Sell loot drops, Exchange PVP

I do all of that, and more, and I can unequivocally state that the daily amount of EC that you get from doing all of the above pales in comparison to what you could make farming Omegas to sell on the exchange.

I am not exaggerating in the least when I stated that it was my it was my primary source of Energy Credits for the entire following year. Also, I had spent down most of my EC from the previous year in anticipation of this years Omega Event to build it back up again. Because this was announced only a week prior to the event, I was unable to change my spending habits for the entire previous year.

This discussion has been closed.