test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reveal of the USS Ross, a variant Galaxy-class that's supposed to be coming to STO

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Between that design and the one of the new Starfleet /KDF hybrid ship I must confess that my admiration of the Vaadwaur Juggernaut is less and less limited to DPS. :/
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    ulysses359#8595 ulysses359 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Looks like a distorted Galaxy Class with some Design Elements of the Souvereign Class.

Will this be a new skin for the Galaxy or a complete new ship?
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Will it be C-Store?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    I like those nacelles, might have to swipe a pair for my Galaxy.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well it's no Excelsior, but as Galaxy ships go, it is nice. I'm not sure about the back of the saucer, but other than that it looks pretty good.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Will there be a USS Rachael coming too with a 'Schrodeingers break' console? :p
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    Recent FED ships have been interesting, granted drawn from Disco and Disco design aesthetics. The temporal warships were also excellent. Event ships have also been quite attractive - like the winter ship.

This ship looks like a galaxy, ambassador, and excelsior were involved in a massive transporter accident and were merged together into an amgalaxsior class ship. Both this ship and the alliance battlecruiser seem to be starting a trend of mashing together older ships, rather than developing new designs.

While you could argue that ships like the Tal'aura Temporal Destroyer are modified D'deridex, they don't look like they were salvaged from the hulls of wrecked D'deridexes. I suppose if you were going for something like the Maquis Raider that actually has lore reasons, then that would make some sense.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    That round deflector bothers me. It's the only round component on the ship, everything else is curved and elongated.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    Thomas said it was meant to be a blend between the Galaxy and Sovereign.

GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User

It comes down to personal preference. I've seen better fan-designed hybrids of Galaxy/Sovereign like 10-15 years ago, they were just lower in polycount.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Reminds me of this:
    19ddddc70f969d9e31892f403d3b1e1a.png
    ^^^
    So someone 'kitbashed' design elements from the Galaxy Class, the Probert version of the Ambassador Class, and the Soverign Class, into one new Frankenstein ship, eh? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Actually I believe that one was one of the fan favorite fan designs drifting around. The Allegiance class I believe, and its cropped up in a couple fan projects, usually mods.

IMO MUCH better than just slapping a third nacelle and adding a phaser lance to a Sovereign.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
    Love this new T6 Promoship Galaxy with 5/3 Cmdr Miracle/Eng, Lt.Cmdr Universal, Lt.Cmdr. Tac, Lt. Universal / Int, ect...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    I like the design. Morrone, IMO, is in touch with the starship lineage he has opportunity to design from. The Ross certainly seems to me to be the first logical refit of a Galaxy-class. After, say, the Dominion War? But before a Venture or Guardian. YMMV.

How it comes to us in the game is anyone's guess. How the roleplayer's interpret any unique technologies of their starship for their game may not necessarily be reflected in ours.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    If this skin is available on the dreadnought cruiser then I'll definitely pick it up however we have to(Unless they just give it to us). I would love to see the design used on it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Being 'able to fly it soon' is code for coming to a Lockbox near you'. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I also heard we're getting a new Defiant. Any truth to that!?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    do we really need another variant of the worse cruiser in the game? I'm actually suprised they didn't make it a FDC or whatever the current term is
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    do we really need another variant of the worse cruiser in the game? I'm actually suprised they didn't make it a FDC or whatever the current term is

FDC?! Frequent Dilapidated Cruisers?! :wink:
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User

I am going to be blunt.

If that is a blend, then i am Michael Jackson.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    foxman00 wrote: »

I am going to be blunt.

If that is a blend, then i am Michael Jackson.

Why, if anyone was a blend, it was certainly Michael Jackson. :p
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    It doesn't look too great visually IMO but it supposedly can use regular Galaxy parts. Throw a miracle worker spec on it with maybe a less restrictive boff layout and you can guarantee that this baby will sell! Pretty much one of my top 5 dream ships!
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Maybe they will add it to the Picard Bundle so someone actually buys it.

I do like they named it after Admiral Ross my favourite Admiral in Star Trek, and one of the few that wasn't a dufus. DS9 had another Admiral I liked, I forgot his name, but he was there when Bajor almost joined the Federation. And Voyager had Admiral Paris who I liked. But Admiral Ross was my favourite and one of the mlst developed Admirals.

And no Kirk and Picard don't count for this.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I don’t think it’s named after DS9’s Admiral Ross. It’s named after NASA engineer Mary Ross
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Galaxy/Sovereign?
    Galareign?
    Soveraxy?
    It doesn't look too great visually IMO but it supposedly can use regular Galaxy parts. Throw a miracle worker spec on it with maybe a less restrictive boff layout and you can guarantee that this baby will sell! Pretty much one of my top 5 dream ships!

Don't forget a bit more inertia rating so you can actually turn!
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    It doesn't look that great but I'd definitely take it over the ship for this anniversary.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s named after DS9’s Admiral Ross. It’s named after NASA engineer Mary Ross

Not Bob Ross? That's who came to mind for me when I saw "Ross".
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Not crazy about the secondary hull from the pics, but I'd definitely use the saucer and probably other parts. Assuming it doesn't end up being a lockbox/promo ship that I have almost no chance at getting.
This discussion has been closed.