test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Seems like Brent Spiner put the nail in Data's coffin

stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
Interview with Brent Spiner said a condition of him agreeing to reprise the role of Data is not to undo his sacrifice in Nemesis. It was too many plotholes with the B4 becomes Data anyhow. Even Lore wasn't compatible with Data as Soong had to make adjustments and improvements from Lore to Data. That was a focal point of the thing between Lore and Data. B4 was an early prototype so if Lore wasn't advanced as Data being the closest one to Data, how can a throw away like B4? Lore to Data is like last year's latest CPU to the next CPU to come out while B4 is a Texas Instruments Ti-99 and trying to run Windows 10 on them all.

All history of Data in game is now obsolete.

Thank you, Brent.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/brent-spiner-on-data-return-in-star-trek-picard

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    /Moved
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Makes sense. Then again the hardware could still be upgraded somehow. STO should've done a Data's Brain episode. lol
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

It all depends on if STO will be classified as an alternate reality or Picard is part of its history. Although, it is probably more likely to compare B-4 to running a 10 TB Hard Drive with Data's experiences on a 386. Data uploaded his memories into B-4 and B-4 sang Blue Skies at the end of Nemesis which is the song that Data sang at Riker's wedding. So B-4 in Picard will either have the memories of Data or Data's voice in his head and not B-4 sacrificing himself so Data can live.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I disagree. Just because Brent Spiner originated the role does not mean he owns it. Nor that with another actor, Data cannot continue. Look at the James Bond film franchise. Which has been around as long as Star Trek. How many actors have played Bond since Sean Connery?

How does Data played by Brent Spiner being/not being in the Picard series affect the continuity of Star Trek Online? "Obselete"? Hardly.
    Since Data's appearances in Star Trek Online are not all that important. Data is not a core character essential to the progression of the Starfleet storyline. But I've only played this game daily since March 2012. I could be wrong about this. In an alternate timeline. Where Macs are the preferred PCs for playing STO. Yeah. Sounds legit.

Doom thread trying to look like a sensible discussion is still a doom thread.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Has Brent Spiner figured out that he is the only one who thought killing Data was a good idea yet ?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I disagree. Just because Brent Spiner originated the role does not mean he owns it. Nor that with another actor, Data cannot continue. Look at the James Bond film franchise. Which has been around as long as Star Trek. How many actors have played Bond since Sean Connery?

How does Data played by Brent Spiner being/not being in the Picard series affect the continuity of Star Trek Online? "Obselete"? Hardly.
    Since Data's appearances in Star Trek Online are not all that important. Data is not a core character essential to the progression of the Starfleet storyline. But I've only played this game daily since March 2012. I could be wrong about this. In an alternate timeline. Where Macs are the preferred PCs for playing STO. Yeah. Sounds legit.

The devs always been of the stance if a show contradicts them, any show or movie takes precedence. You are trying to say otherwise. And 2012 mention was for what exactly? I've been here since beta and a lifer even before launch, so in on the headstart, remembering even though we pre-launch lifers were told we could create liberated borg characters, we had to wait until official launch 3 days later. So 2012? oh you sweet summer child, winter is coming. lol

Remember being in the forums before launch as having the threads people debated on Data being part of the game lore becoming the captain of the Enterprise E. Then they said it was lost because of CBS legal. Games based on TV/movies should stick to the lore we see on screen so they don't end up with a thing like this come out and put the nail in the lore of the game. And other things I'm hearing could be in Picard, this is just the first of many things it will contradict. I won't say any others yet because until it's released, nobody officially connected to the show has commented so I put them as "just rumors" for now.

And not a doom thread at all. It's a thread to put to rest the bit of is the game canon or no. Now we can move forward with the fact Picard is about to lay it to rest once and for all that it's not.
    Post edited by stormstryke2 on
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »

It all depends on if STO will be classified as an alternate reality or Picard is part of its history. Although, it is probably more likely to compare B-4 to running a 10 TB Hard Drive with Data's experiences on a 386. Data uploaded his memories into B-4 and B-4 sang Blue Skies at the end of Nemesis which is the song that Data sang at Riker's wedding. So B-4 in Picard will either have the memories of Data or Data's voice in his head and not B-4 sacrificing himself so Data can live.

Some other things in Picard are going to contradict the game too from what I will only call rumors at this time until it airs. None of the other things are backed yet by anyone officially with the show so I'll wait and see on those. Brent's interview is at least someone attached to the show speaking on this particular thing.

But even Star Fleet itself is said to be in disarray according to Stewart himself we will see in Picard. Yet this game it's not like that sounds.

And other things as I said before still unofficial out there about the show.
  • Options

Some other things in Picard are going to contradict the game too from what I will only call rumors at this time until it airs. None of the other things are backed yet by anyone officially with the show so I'll wait and see on those. Brent's interview is at least someone attached to the show speaking on this particular thing.

But even Star Fleet itself is said to be in disarray according to Stewart himself we will see in Picard. Yet this game it's not like that sounds.

I have always believed that STO existed in its own alternate reality. Even if the devs performed damage control which can easily get out of control with Picard, there will be be some future series that will make it impossible for STO to conform to it. It is far better to give the maximum amount of creative control to each party to give them ability to create the story they want rather than severely restrict what they are able to do and that requires setting STO in an alternate reality. Just have Picard and future Star Trek shows steal what they want from STO and STO steal want it wants from future Star Trek shows.
  • Options

I have always believed that STO existed in its own alternate reality. Even if the devs performed damage control which can easily get out of control with Picard, there will be be some future series that will make it impossible for STO to conform to it. It is far better to give the maximum amount of creative control to each party to give them ability to create the story they want rather than severely restrict what they are able to do and that requires setting STO in an alternate reality. Just have Picard and future Star Trek shows steal what they want from STO and STO steal want it wants from future Star Trek shows.

That is the best way to look at it IMO. Once a show takes place post-TNG era, it was bound to happen. People who stood firm that the game is hard canon Prime universe are the only ones that can be disappointed when a show/movie takes place. And let the devs just continue creating. There have been many Trek games and they had things that later didn't fit. Doesn't mean the games no longer can be enjoyed. Just know you are playing a game based on the characters of Trek but movies/tv shows canon trumps any game. Devs always had that attitude and voiced it many times. It's the select few players that are so adamant it's hard canon Prime universe.
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Brent Spiner is tired of playing Data I believe, this is a huge problem for most actors that are related to Star Trek. Because no matter what Brent Spiner does with his life, everyone is just going to ask about Data.. I remember at one convention he got kinda mad at he interviews, because they asked the questions about Data he's heard and answered a thousand times before.

Rowan Atkinson kinda had the same problem with being Mr Bean, no matter what else he does people will always see Mr Bean. Same with how Jim Carrey can never really do any serious role, it ruins and hurts their career. Especially more so because of fans, like when Patrick Stewart tried to do some real acting and shakespeare, a bunch of fans come running up asking about Picard and Star Trek.

It gets really tiresome for the actors, so eventually they want nothing more to do with Trek.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    That's the problem with having an iconic role, then not being able to get many more roles to diversify.

Robert Downey Jr. is pretty much Tony Stark, yet he is still able to land roles like the upcoming Dr. Dolittle, and has done other roles such as Serlock Holmes in the past.

In order to avoid being typecast based on an iconic role you played in the past, you gotta be able to diversify. I don't think Brent Spiner got that chance to diversify, so pretty much the only role people know him for is Data. He was in Independence Day, but it wasn't a standout role.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    That's the problem with having an iconic role, then not being able to get many more roles to diversify.

Robert Downey Jr. is pretty much Tony Stark, yet he is still able to land roles like the upcoming Dr. Dolittle, and has done other roles such as Serlock Holmes in the past.

In order to avoid being typecast based on an iconic role you played in the past, you gotta be able to diversify. I don't think Brent Spiner got that chance to diversify, so pretty much the only role people know him for is Data. He was in Independence Day, but it wasn't a standout role.

Yeah but sometimes it's still hard.. Just like with Patrick Stewart and take for example X-Men, that's something he's doing really good and it's very unique.. But a lot of people are just going to see Picard anyhow.

I was going to mention William Shatner, how everyone who sees him see him as Kird and George Takei see Sulu but they kinda live as the legends they've become, they haven't really actively tried to set themselves apart from their icons.
  • Options

Brent Spiner was able to diversify, but most of it was voice acting and guest roles. So it would not be surprising if someone easily missed him in a show they watched or forgot about seeing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLvtoKZfxY
  • Options
    I was going to mention William Shatner, how everyone who sees him see him as Kird and George Takei see Sulu but they kinda live as the legends they've become, they haven't really actively tried to set themselves apart from their icons.

George Takei did play a part in Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcptAZiKewA
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcptAZiKewA

And he was Hiro's father on Heroes. His response to Tim Hardaway's homophobic rant was epic.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    The devs always been of the stance if a show contradicts them, any show or movie takes precedence. You are trying to say otherwise. And 2012 mention was for what exactly? I've been here since beta and a lifer even before launch, so in on the headstart, remembering even though we pre-launch lifers were told we could create liberated borg characters, we had to wait until official launch 3 days later. So 2012? oh you sweet summer child, winter is coming. lol

I was wondering when the, "I helped Madame Curie create the internet so I could play STO!" would show up. Your post count kinda disagrees with your being involved with STO from the beginning. But your GoT reference is tiresome and dated. Have you no original thoughts? Or is copy/paste from the InterWebs the limit of your creativity?
    Remember being in the forums before launch as having the threads people debated on Data being part of the game lore becoming the captain of the Enterprise E. Then they said it was lost because of CBS legal.
    As I said. March 2012. So, no. Wasn't interested in the beta. And then heard the horror stories about Atari nearly starving the game out of existence.
    Games based on TV/movies should stick to the lore we see on screen so they don't end up with a thing like this come out and put the nail in the lore of the game.
    So no game based on a TV series or film should ever diverge in the slightest? Pretty narrow view there, isn't it?
    And other things I'm hearing could be in Picard, this is just the first of many things it will contradict. I won't say any others yet because until it's released, nobody officially connected to the show has commented so I put them as "just rumors" for now.

We all use the same internet. So we can all Google the same fan fiction and find the wild speculation you're referencing like you have some sort of inside connection we mere mortals do not. Ever hear of NDAs?
    And not a doom thread at all. It's a thread to put to rest the bit of is the game canon or no. Now we can move forward with the fact Picard is about to lay it to rest once and for all that it's not.

"Canon", as defined by numerous producers, showrunners, directors, CBS and Paramount, is anything seen onscreen during an episode or film. So STO, not being an episode or film, cannot be canon. And if this isn't a doom thread, why use a title with 'nail in the coffin'

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options

I was wondering when the, "I helped Madame Curie create the internet so I could play STO!" would show up. Your post count kinda disagrees with your being involved with STO from the beginning. But your GoT reference is tiresome and dated. Have you no original thoughts? Or is copy/paste from the InterWebs the limit of your creativity?

TLDR after that. You don't see the guy mention he played since 2012 like that means a hill of beans. I've been here since 2009 beta. I was pointing that out in response to his 2012 remark. Means little to nothing. But since the rest of your stuff was because you are obviously upset Picard will set many settings in this game as non-canon, have a nice day.

• Options
    The Devs have also said that if anything in canon contradicts established stuff in STO too much, STO will basically be a branched timeline. We'll still get stuff from the shows, but the Devs aren't gonna change the entire game to fit one detail they can't adapt.
  • Options
    The Devs have also said that if anything in canon contradicts established stuff in STO too much, STO will basically be a branched timeline. We'll still get stuff from the shows, but the Devs aren't gonna change the entire game to fit one detail they can't adapt.

And my opinion is that the devs should preemptively make STO a branched timeline instead of waiting for canon to contradict STO too much. It is not a matter of if, but when and will save a lot of work on the devs' part by not having to fix the game to fit the canon.
  • Options

Right and from their POV, that makes sense. Easy fix and alternate timelines have been in Trek since TOS.
  • Options
    darthgreaterdarthgreater Member Posts: 42 Arc User

Nobody cares that you been here since 2012. A lot of players been here since launch and some before during beta. So your point? You say that like it makes you have power over someone.

And your second post shows you have no idea what happened before you got here. So much you said wasn't accurate at all. So again the May 2012 status means nothing so why bring it up in the first place? And then you get bent because you learned the person you spoke to been here longer than you and then you're like "it only matters since 2012". And searching his name without the 2, goes back to January 2010 archived posts and someone quoted what he said. So you're comment about Google search to know things is another fail on your part. And we gamers know devs will wipe beta forums prior to launch so we can only go back to launch in the archived posts. And those were archived because of Atari sell to PWE and getting new forum setup.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/8171387
  • Options
    Wow. My old forum account that got broken so had to make it with the 2 with help from support. But yes that was mine talking there about Cryptic doing a maintenance and not using Scotty's way of time estimates to make himself look good. lol
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    it really is amazing that, 10 years later, cryptic STILL hasn't learned from the Montgomery Scott manual on 'The Way of the Miracle Worker'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    And my opinion is that the devs should preemptively make STO a branched timeline instead of waiting for canon to contradict STO too much. It is not a matter of if, but when and will save a lot of work on the devs' part by not having to fix the game to fit the canon.

You're also assuming that the SECOND something new comes out, we're going to get new stuff. How long did it take for Discovery stuff to really come out in STO? At least a year. While they may be looking at stuff as it comes out, we don't see the results for quite a while. Cryptic doesn't have access to anything beyond what CBS may give them. Most of the time they seem to be seeing a lot of stuff at about the same time we do.

So honestly they've already done the best option, wait and see how it will impact the game, and decide if they just branch off based on how much work it would be to integrate the new stuff into the backstory.
  • Options
    it really is amazing that, 10 years later, cryptic STILL hasn't learned from the Montgomery Scott manual on 'The Way of the Miracle Worker'​​

Right. lol. You'd think they would have learn by now. :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Yeah but sometimes it's still hard.. Just like with Patrick Stewart and take for example X-Men, that's something he's doing really good and it's very unique.. But a lot of people are just going to see Picard anyhow.

I wonder if he'd be more or less annoyed at being asked about being in Tekwar or TJ Hooker? Since, yeah, William Shatner totally did both of those series too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

I wonder if he'd be more or less annoyed at being asked about being in Tekwar or TJ Hooker? Since, yeah, William Shatner totally did both of those series too.

And Boston Legal. There was a few Star Trek references and actors in that show.
  • Options
    I haven't seen yet but someone who said he has just told me that B4 was disassembled because the download didn't work. And all Data scenes are from Picard's thoughts and dreams. Plus he said androids are now illegal in the Federation. Again, told this information second hand from someone who said he saw it.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Gotta make it sound good when in reality the TNG cast we meant to be little more but cameos and memba berries
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Gotta make it sound good when in reality the TNG cast we meant to be little more but cameos and memba berries

By the previews, seems like the Riker and Deanna appearance is just that. Even they are listed as "guest stars" on a casting sheet I saw. Trailer did show Seven talking to Picard and then fighting and then another scene with I think Hugh but it went so fast I may be mistaken with it being Hugh. And Jeri is also listed as "guest star" on that sheet. But we know that Data is just Picard thinking about him and not actually back.