test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Khitomer Alliance announces new combined service

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    is that a real question or sarcasm? because if the first three numbers are 170, the fourth is obviously 1​​
    NCC-1701-F, the Yorktown-class USS Enterprise. (The little fins at the ends of the nacelles are the giveaway - the Oddy nacelles don't have those.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Can't answer the OP's question.

I tried twice and my post has been deleted both times (not moderated, removed.)

I guess this is another topic we can't discuss.

Now that the official blog is out, you can talk about it all you want. 😁
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    Gonna get this new ship for my Klingon/Gorn toon I wonder if there will be new uniforms to go with it too :3
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    This should be interesting time to look at which toons get the new ship
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    The stats look nice, especially for a free event ship.

The KDF - Fed hybrid look isn't bad.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    This should be interesting time to look at which toons get the new ship

I'd say the Klingon toons should get it
  • imffsimffs Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I'd love to be able to merge all my faction toons under a single fleet. I'd play my klinks much more if they weren't still standalone.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I just hope there will be plenty of customisation options.

While the concept looks very interesting, I don't really like ships that have huge nacelles and aft parts and only a tiny 'head'.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    edited January 2020
    Oh and while the ship is interesting, I must say that I would have expected a more radical change instead of just a ship announcement, based on the news I linked to...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    wait, it actually looks like a fusion kdf and fed ship style. I'll admit I'm very surprised by that, I was expecting a random alien or 99% fed design. I have a growing lack of disgust for this ship, I may even fly it for longer then it takes to get the trait.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I think this is just the start of a new line of ships that merges designs, rather than an outright replacement of future designs from each faction.

Before the announcement that Discovery was supposedly a prequel of TOS, when I saw the Discovery leaving a space drydock carved out of a small asteroid in the teaser trailer, I thought this ship was the merger of Starfleet and Klingon design (the triangular section screams Klingon), set post TNG era, with possibly Worf in command (Klingons are supposed to have a longer lifespan compared to humans, after all).

Ah well, missed opportunities.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I've been sceptical at first, after watching Zefilms' video I'm really starting to like it.
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I'm hopeful that this Alliance will provide some really cool hybrid ships, both in looks and abilities.

This however, to me at least, looks like the laziest possible way of jamming a Fed and KDF ship together. It'll appeal to some and that's cool, but I'll pass.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Wish it was just a Klingon ship, cause everything except the saucer look spectacular otherwise.

The way I see styling, federation ships are more tame but highly capable all-round, klingon ships are purpose built for battle, so this joint design waters down both elements resulting in nothing new.

Also, Romulan styling omitted altogether.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    It's kind of funny, when you think of it in terms of a character from Starfleet and the KDF getting this ship after tutorial. If you go in order with missions from the starting missions to the time of forming the Alliance, getting a cross-faction ship would've raised some eyebrows in the First City and Starfleet Command.

But in a world of being able to play later missions right out of the bat of tutorial, it's not such a big deal ;)
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    T6 alliance battle cruiser for event ship. dont like the circular saucer look... would of looked better with a more angled arrowhead saucer. 5/3, no hanger, Eng Command.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Gotta say this ship is just this side of ugly. It almost works but doesn't. I think a fair part of it is the default skin, it might look much better in Klingon green or black or a more uniform Fed skin.

That is not to say the model is great, I can't put my finger on just why I don't like the shape, but I don't.

I do like the concept, and think it can work, but it's just off somehow.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Gotta say this ship is just this side of ugly. It almost works but doesn't. I think a fair part of it is the default skin, it might look much better in Klingon green or black or a more uniform Fed skin.

That is not to say the model is great, I can't put my finger on just why I don't like the shape, but I don't.

I do like the concept, and think it can work, but it's just off somehow.

I agree, also I think it being not quite right fits. I mean it makes sense the first real hybrid design is a little rough.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Meh, I've been thinking about this since I saw the first "leaked" image. Don't know what to think, really.
    I hoped for a new kind of design entirely, not just the merging of different "visuals" into a single finished ship.

Also, if there's anything Romulan, I'm either blind or it's simply not there, at least not on the outside - would be pleasantely surprised if it had a Romulan bridge, (and by that I mean an actual internal layout, not a one-room only kind of thing like they've been soooo fond of doing for the past... how long, exactly?).

The trait seems interesting, at least...​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    Meh, I've been thinking about this since I saw the first "leaked" image. Don't know what to think, really.
    I hoped for a new kind of design entirely, not just the merging of different "visuals" into a single finished ship.

Also, if there's anything Romulan, I'm either blind or it's simply not there, at least not on the outside - would be pleasantely surprised if it had a Romulan bridge, (and by that I mean an actual internal layout, not a one-room only kind of thing like they've been soooo fond of doing for the past... how long, exactly?).

The trait seems interesting, at least...​​

roms and jhd are half factions... they dont count. from the looks of it, it is purely fed and kdf. no battle cloak like on rom ships... its a kdf cloak. as for paint job... I want all my ships painted pitch black... blends into the color of space, poor man's cloak.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    T6 alliance battle cruiser for event ship. dont like the circular saucer look... would of looked better with a more angled arrowhead saucer. 5/3, no hanger, Eng Command.

Right on!!

Federation does have triangular saucer designs. They really should have taken your suggestion and added a fairly small but long triangular section in place of the saucer.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »

Right on!!

Federation does have triangular saucer designs. They really should have taken your suggestion and added a fairly small but long triangular section in place of the saucer.

Eh...never liked triangle saucers..... :/
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Of all the things this blog could've meant for the game, the result is that we get ... one ship. That's it? There must be more. And I don't mean the ship for the next event.

Now, about the ship. The Romulans, Federation, Romulans, Klingons and the Romulans form an epic alliance. Did I mention the Romulans? Anyhow, a key feature of the alliance is that all three factions can design a ship together. And there's absolutely nothing Romulan about it. I'm not tech saavy enough to post pics, but look up the following two ships. Look at the B'rel. Now look at the Dhelan. Do you see how a ship can be Romulan-ified to really cool affect while keeping the basic hull shape? Why was this not done for the KAB? I also agree that the wrong saucer shape was chosen. The arrowhead would've been much better. I don't normally like them, but it would work with this design. I will say that everything behind the saucer is good... for a dual faction ship, but not for a tri-faction ship, which is what the alliance was supposed to be about. Hopefully, we'll be able to customize it, but that's not usually a thing with event ships. I am curious about what the bridge will be. Perhaps a Klingon bridge with Federation light bulbs?

I do like most of the stats, like the BOFF seating. But, a 5-3 weapons layout doesn't really work with a 7.5 turn radius. A stronger hull and a Hangar or two would've been nice. The Admiralty card is also nice. Not game-breaking, but it's good.

My ideal ship would be something that looks like a Romulan version of a Klingon ship (again, see the B'rel and the Dhelan) with a Federation warp core, and plays like a flight deck carrier or at least a cruiser. Because the KAB is an event ship, I fear it will be a long time, if ever, for me to see such a ship.
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I am not in favor of this development in the plot. I love Starfleet. Creating an independent Khitomer Alliance Fleet means the eventual absorption of Starfleet into this new service. And yes, the blog post specifies that Starfleet, KDF, Romulan Republic Fleet, will remain operational, independent of the KAF. To me this is inefficient in the application of resources for each member state of the Alliance as they are not only dedicating resources to the upkeep of their own fleet, they are now drawing from those reserves to contribute to the KAF. Further, we have yet to see a cohesive and democratically elected Alliance government to exercise authority over this force. We have only seen loose conferences of respective heads of state. The creation of such a government/governing body would also be a necessary step in order to create a civilian authority to which this force is accountable.
    I am not in favor of this development in the plot. I love Starfleet. Creating an independent Khitomer Alliance Fleet means the eventual absorption of Starfleet into this new service. And yes, the blog post specifies that Starfleet, KDF, Romulan Republic Fleet, will remain operational, independent of the KAF. To me this is inefficient in the application of resources for each member state of the Alliance as they are not only dedicating resources to the upkeep of their own fleet, they are now drawing from those reserves to contribute to the KAF. Further, we have yet to see a cohesive and democratically elected Alliance government to exercise authority over this force. We have only seen loose conferences of respective heads of state. The creation of such a government/governing body would also be a necessary step in order to create a civilian authority to which this force is accountable.

you may not like it but it does happen... storyline already states as fact that the kdf and rom repub/empire gets absorbed into fed. that would be why fed no longer bound by the treaty that prevented them from using cloaks...
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    The Treaty of Algeron is already void as the Romulan Empire is defunct. As far as the Khitomer Alliance is concerned, the Klingons and Romulans are members in equal standing with the Federation. I don't think that this is the time that their absorption takes place. However, if it is, and the Klingons and Romulans are becoming Federation members, this would effectively mean that the Federation is moving toward the KAF superseding and replacing Starfleet. To your point, yeah it happens, but I still don't like it.
    edited January 2020

Why would Starfleet need to be absorbed into the KAF?

The US navy for instance was not absorbed into NATO just because NATO was created...

While we know that the factions will eventually merge into the Galactic Union, that does not mean that Starfleet is going to disappear. It may well be that the KAF is only a temporary arrangement until it is no longer needed because the GU is formed.

Of all the things this blog could've meant for the game, the result is that we get ... one ship. That's it? There must be more. And I don't mean the ship for the next event.
    People expecting anything more were simply ignoring things Cryptic have repeatedly said in the past.

Cryptic has already stated they wont be doing something like merging the factions because that would require rewriting to much of the game's base code.

Not really.

They said that cross-faction Armada's for example would be looked into when the system was released. The fact that they never seemed to have worked again on this system doesn't mean that they haven't said it or that it is no longer reasonable to wonder whether it will happen.

New Admiralty campaigns, cross-faction boff recruitment likewise could have been added without a need to rewrite much of the game's code since these features already either limitedly exist or are constantly added.

Besides that - and more subjectively - the post was written in a way that made it look like some huge change was coming as this wasn't just a regular ship announcement blog post. (We were also promised a change that would 'change the face of the game' btw. Which is also something we have yet to see. The bottom line: Don't blame players for expecting huge changes when such changes have been promised in the past.)

• ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    Don't forget they later retconned the "change the face of the game" to a storyline someone was writing.
This discussion has been closed.