test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Al Rivera on Twitter: "In the recording booth with a VERY special guest..."

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Discovery possibilities aren't likely at this point with Picard debuting in mere days so it's either Spiner/Data; Frakes/Riker; Sirtis/Troi or perhaps the real legend Patrick Stewart.

Unless Cryptic pulled out the big budget to entice several of the other major Captain's (Shatner; Mulgrew; Bakula; Brooks) into some type of anniversary voice cameos?

Again, just speculating really, but in terms of 'unlikely' (but not impossible):

- Shatner would probably still cost too much. Probably.
    - Brooks, I'd say is the least likely of them all; he doesn't seem do that sort of work anymore. He hasn't done anything Trek related since 'The Captains' back in 2011, unless you count him passing secondhand comments regarding the fact he'd viewed 'What We Leave Behind' (and it is notable that he wasn't involved in that in itself). He seems to have dropped off the radar in general.

I think the only way they will get Shatner is if it's part of some larger Trek deal he's doing. So it wouldn't be Cryptic footing his bill (entirely), it would be him agreeing to do some VO as part of a contract for something else.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Thanks, @thegrandnagus1, I do appreciate the vocabulary lesson for the uninitiated. I do know the difference myself, though. My statement was more cautionary than accusatory. Yes, people are free to dislike any part of Trek they choose and express that in the forums. I'd rather head off it going to that other place before it gets there, though. 😉
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    - Shatner would probably still cost too much. Probably.
    - Brooks, I'd say is the least likely of them all; he doesn't seem do that sort of work anymore. He hasn't done anything Trek related since 'The Captains' back in 2011, unless you count him passing secondhand comments regarding the fact he'd viewed 'What We Leave Behind' (and it is notable that he wasn't involved in that in itself). He seems to have dropped off the radar in general.

I could see maybe CBS managing to get people like Patrick Stewart - as promotion for STP (although he'd do it remotely via Skype or in a local L.A. area recording studio); Scott Bakula, Kate Mulgrew, SMG, Anson Mount, Michelle Yeoh, john DeLancie, and other 'big name' Trek character actors for something like this 10th Anniversary.

But (and I'm a TOS fan first and foremost and would LOVE to see William Shatner agree) -way back at launch Al Rivera made some comment on Mr. Shatner's twitter feed (and even though my stance WRT much of Al Rivera's work on STO ain't positive); the comment he made wasn't nasty or anything like that, but for some reason William Shatner took some sort of offense to it, blocked Mr. Rivera, and doesn't like anything related to STO (it's why even though they have Kirk unconscious on the deck (and use a loop of dialogue with Kirk in it from TOS S2 - "Journey To Babel") in a AoY mission - you NEVER see Kirk's face as Mr. Shatner won't allow his likeness to be used in any was in STO.
    ^^^
    Bottom line: They'll NEVER get Mr. Shatner to do anything new for STO.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    that wasn't geko, it was branflakes​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Brooks is highly unlikely. I know he did some VO work for Star Trek Legacy, but after that... nothing.
    Trip would be nice, but, although that particular finale was not the best, it did kinda establish Trip sacrificed himself to stop some enemy by blowing up an EPS Conduit on purpose if I recall correctly. That, unfortunately, was rather final for him. The only thing that really made the Finale interesting was how they kinda tied it into TNG, by having Riker use a holodeck to experience those particular events to try and help him with an issue he was facing during the events of The Pegasus.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well these Captains would be up for it ;)

https://youtu.be/ucM78Lb0sSA
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    Discovery possibilities aren't likely at this point with Picard debuting in mere days so it's either Spiner/Data; Frakes/Riker; Sirtis/Troi or perhaps the real legend Patrick Stewart.

Unless Cryptic pulled out the big budget to entice several of the other major Captain's (Shatner; Mulgrew; Bakula; Brooks) into some type of anniversary voice cameos?

Obviously not Spiner. He already on record saying he would only do Picard if they didn't undo Data's death. So all in-game stuff we have about Data is about to become OBSOLETE.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/brent-spiner-on-data-return-in-star-trek-picard
    Given that Seven of Nine got a model update on Tribble, she is probably one of them.

IIRC, Denise Crosby mentioned awhile back that Geko asked her about doing some sort of Picard crossover mission, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sela is in also.

As for any possible third player, I would guess Hugh. Cryptic has said before they wouldn't want to get Picard just to have him show up for one mission only. Hugh on the other hand WAS in STO, but the patrol he was in was taken down ,and hasn't come back like the others yet. I suspect he is getting a model revamp also.

I don't see any of the captains showing up, though I would like to be proven wrong. And I can't really think of anyone else that would immediately make sense for the anniversary, besides maybe like Riker, or Data.

Not Spiner. He wants nothing to do with anything that undoes Data's sacrifice in Nemesis. He has an interview about it on SyFy's site I linked already. Picard is about to put the final nail in Data's coffin. And I for one am glad because it was too many plotholes with that that B4 becomes Data mess.

• isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Not Spiner. He wants nothing to do with anything that undoes Data's sacrifice in Nemesis. He has an interview about it on SyFy's site I linked already. Picard is about to put the final nail in Data's coffin. And I for one am glad because it was too many plotholes with that that B4 becomes Data mess.

It's hardly problematic to accommodate that though. The Data/B4 stuff in the Path to 2409 isn't used in any missions aside from that tiny cutscene at the very end of Survivor. Just change the text in the Academy lore missions and remove that cutscene and we're set to go.

Of course if Spiner is saying he will only do VO if his character is dead, then clearly we'd have yet another time travel adventure.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Trip would be nice, but, although that particular finale was not the best, it did kinda establish Trip sacrificed himself to stop some enemy by blowing up an EPS Conduit on purpose if I recall correctly. That, unfortunately, was rather final for him. The only thing that really made the Finale interesting was how they kinda tied it into TNG, by having Riker use a holodeck to experience those particular events to try and help him with an issue he was facing during the events of The Pegasus.
    That "holodeck" concept is exactly what ruined it for me (I mean, besides writing a script that made Trip look like an idiot for not knowing how to use the gravity plating aboard his own ship). On the other hand, since that entire episode was just a holodeck adventure for Riker, it may well have been wrong in one or more particulars; for instance, it's entirely possible that the historic record claiming Trip died there is inaccurate. (Heck, any and every incident in that episode can be retconned without breaking a sweat, because it's all just a holodeck adventure set some 150 years after the fact.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    That "holodeck" concept is exactly what ruined it for me (I mean, besides writing a script that made Trip look like an idiot for not knowing how to use the gravity plating aboard his own ship). On the other hand, since that entire episode was just a holodeck adventure for Riker, it may well have been wrong in one or more particulars; for instance, it's entirely possible that the historic record claiming Trip died there is inaccurate. (Heck, any and every incident in that episode can be retconned without breaking a sweat, because it's all just a holodeck adventure set some 150 years after the fact.)
    I know the novels have Tripp's death beign faked, him becoming a Section 31 agent, trying to take the organization down from the inside, and then going to live with T'pol and their kids under a fake name on Vulcan for the rest of his life.

That sounds like it could be either really good or really bad :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

It's hardly problematic to accommodate that though. The Data/B4 stuff in the Path to 2409 isn't used in any missions aside from that tiny cutscene at the very end of Survivor. Just change the text in the Academy lore missions and remove that cutscene and we're set to go.

Of course if Spiner is saying he will only do VO if his character is dead, then clearly we'd have yet another time travel adventure.

Actually there's a way for Spiner to do VO for an android character in STO that doesn't involve timetravel, said character is a "son" of Data, who would obviously look and sound similar to Data but still be their own person thus not undoing Data's death as this would be a new character not a resurrected Data.

Even biological parents and children resemble each other and with androids who are constructed that could at a "literal clone" level while still being a different character in the end.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Actually there's a way for Spiner to do VO for an android character in STO that doesn't involve timetravel, said character is a "son" of Data, who would obviously look and sound similar to Data but still be their own person thus not undoing Data's death as this would be a new character not a resurrected Data.

Even biological parents and children resemble each other and with androids who are constructed that could at a "literal clone" level while still being a different character in the end.

So now Soong's work is done by anyone in Trek lore? There is a reason Data was no replicated and the episode Picard had to be attorney to not have Data handed over to Starfleet to be dissected. I'm sure CBS will sign off on that even if Brent would do such a thing. We couldn't even get John to do son of Q.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I am a bit disappointed how we can't get a higher ranking actor and character to make an appearance in the game on the 10th anniversary no less, the 10th only comes once.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I am a bit disappointed how we can't get a higher ranking actor and character to make an appearance in the game on the 10th anniversary no less, the 10th only comes once.

Because of the most likely sheer cost of getting a high ranking actor. While it would be nice it should not come at the expense of other content. We also dont know if potentially Sir Patrick Stewart as part of his contract for Picard may have had a clause "requesting" video game work.

The high ranking actors in-universe in a sense have had their time. Newer generations are always moving on up to take the reins for new stories. Ergo, these stories should be told with new captains to continue to explore the depth of Star Trek universe.

Also, the game continues and will continue to exist even if none of the high ranking actors even make a VA for this game.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I said "can't" because I am very much aware of the reasons why not, it doesn't change the fact I am disappointed though.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Based on this tweet, I am guessing one of them is Hugh.

Hugh was in STO, but lacked his actual VA, and his patrol in the DQ was removed some time ago, and hasn't been updated yet.

Though there is one mission that was even longer ago... The one where you have to save Sisko at Wolf 359, involving him and Q.
    But of course, neither I would consider a "smaller" part. So probably not them.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Though there is one mission that was even longer ago... The one where you have to save Sisko at Wolf 359, involving him and Q.

We never saw Sisko though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That's 'The Sisko' to you. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

So now Soong's work is done by anyone in Trek lore? There is a reason Data was no replicated and the episode Picard had to be attorney to not have Data handed over to Starfleet to be dissected. I'm sure CBS will sign off on that even if Brent would do such a thing. We couldn't even get John to do son of Q.

They literally show what looks like Soong type androids with the letter's F8 in their forehead in the Picard trailers, so it's highly likely that someone was able to replicate Soong's work.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

Based on this tweet, I am guessing one of them is Hugh.

Hugh was in STO, but lacked his actual VA, and his patrol in the DQ was removed some time ago, and hasn't been updated yet.

A friend brought up, Data's Grampa, but the actor William Morgan Sheppard, passed away last January. Considering his characters consciousness was stored inside of a computer as well. It definitely got my attention for a moment. He also has a lot of little parts across various Trek series and movies.
    avoozuul wrote: »

Completely agree. It's also hard to understand how other Trek games get John De Lancie and STO still hasn't, even with all that sweet lockbox cash funding things. But hopefully some of these mystery guests will be a pleasant surprise.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Completely agree. It's also hard to understand how other Trek games get John De Lancie and STO still hasn't, even with all that sweet lockbox cash funding things. But hopefully some of these mystery guests will be a pleasant surprise.
    The "other Star Trek games" that actually have Q with new VA are a 120 minute long interactive movie, a quiz game show, and a chess like game, from the late 90s when everything was 100 times cheaper then it is now.

He does VO for Timelines. That is a more recent game than STO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.