test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patrick Stewart Variety interview

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Proves what was thought all along, Picard will have literally nothing to do with TNG or Canon...just more mindless destruction of Canon because Kurtzman didn't like it.

Cudos on Kurtzman's preemptive throwing Stewart under the bus when Picard doesn't perform as expected because all of the people drooling over 7 of 9 and all the other cameos realize that is all the show has in common with TNG is a few cameos.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    There is a lot of filler but not a lot of substance other than saying things are changing and TNG is done and behind Picard. If the glimpse from the most recent short treks is anything to go by with Mars and the shipyards there, it looks like things have gotten out of hand. The tone is set, as is the texture and what not alluded to by that linked as well.

Guess we will see where ST Picard ends up, but there is a second season in production already and it was envisioned that ST Picard would last at least three seasons, Kurtzman may as well just put those seasons out there and see what comes of it. Also Stewart had a direct hand in the creation of this series because of his time as Picard.

So now we will see if it lives up to expectation or from that written and seen and already concluded it is a waste of time without seeing first.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jovianusjovianus Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    So the march continues to turn Star Trek into a generic action franchise built on misery TRIBBLE and 'splosions, joy.

"Yes, the whole concept of Star Trek was to show a brighter future where humanity had actually gotten it's act together...but how can we incorporate Brexit and Trump politics into that? That's what the people want more of!"
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    As much as I hate the grimdarkness, it sort of makes sense to see a change in the UFP. The challenge will be to keep the spark of hope and optimism and accomplish something and turn it around on a small or large scale. I have faith in Stewart's performance. We'll see.pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Proves what was thought all along, Picard will have literally nothing to do with TNG or Canon...just more mindless destruction of Canon because Kurtzman didn't like it.

Cudos on Kurtzman's preemptive throwing Stewart under the bus when Picard doesn't perform as expected because all of the people drooling over 7 of 9 and all the other cameos realize that is all the show has in common with TNG is a few cameos.

I never liked how they introduced 7 of 9 into Voyager. She became the center point of almost every episode after she was introduced, and it was like the rest of the crew lost 50 IQ points because she always needed to come and save the day. That, or she needed to learn a lesson about humanity or some other stupid thing.

Voyager was great untill she came along, I didn't like her at all. And it's just not an objection towards having a "good looking woman" running around, I much liked T'Pol in Star Trek Enterprise, had no problem with her at all. She was a great character and worked great with the crew.

It's just that after 7 of 9 came along it was like the entire show turned into Star Trek: Seven of Nine on Voyager...
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    jovianus wrote: »
    So the march continues to turn Star Trek into a generic action franchise built on misery TRIBBLE and 'splosions, joy.

"Yes, the whole concept of Star Trek was to show a brighter future where humanity had actually gotten it's act together...but how can we incorporate Brexit and Trump politics into that? That's what the people want more of!"

On nos Not the politics!!! There's never been politics in ST before, this is completely new and original to PIC.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    https://youtu.be/clHkz-ovA1k

Here is midnight's edge take on the interview.

Honestly their idea that only someone with a degree is allowed to have opinions p*ssed me off.

And they misunderstood what Ricky was getting at at the Golden Globes. His point was 1) your (Hollywood elites) a bunch of phony hypocrits and 2) a fun awards show in not the right place to voice your politics, there is a time and place for that, not thar only folks with a degree get to have and express opinions.

And comparing Picard to the Gillette Commercial Boycotte was insane, I'm MRA and while I argued against the boycotte on free speech grounds, my fellow MRAs over ruled me and lead the fight against Gillette, including both pro and anti Trump MRAs. It was because the commercial was the single most insulting and sexist and antimale commercial ever produced and targeted at men no less.

So Picard pushing back against cultural isolationism, a theme that makes sense for Star Trek, is nothing like the Gillette commercial and it certainly won't draw the ire of the MRM like the Gillette commercial did.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Ricky Gervais was, and is, a hypocrite who wants to punch downward and call it "funny", but forbid others to express any political concepts of their own. He also isn't amusing, and hasn't been for some time, if ever.

And ME is still full of recycled protein bases.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    > @jonsills said:
    > Ricky Gervais was, and is, a hypocrite who wants to punch downward and call it "funny", but forbid others to express any political concepts of their own. He also isn't amusing, and hasn't been for some time, if ever.
    >
    > And ME is still full of recycled protein bases.

Mocking rich, powerful Hollywood Elites and Billionaire companies is not punching down, its punching up on behalf of folks who want to be entertained at an awards show, not lectured. There is a time and place.

And who is ME?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Never mind. I'm going to have to place you in shroud, as your incessant sealioning in support of truly unpleasant people and bad ideas has become more than I care to deal with.

You can, should you choose, therefore decline to reply to what I've said in other threads too.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Oh goody, more Midnights Edge bollocks.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Ricky Gervais keeps getting hired because he’ll say something “edgy” that will go viral and have everyone NOT in Hollywood talking about weeks later.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Star Trek has always been a soapbox show
    Your pain runs deep.
    Star Trek being political!!!
    letthatbeyourlastbattlefieldhd0709.jpg

Inconceivable!
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Star Trek has always been a soapbox show

It's like Doctor Who, people either don't remember the social soapboxing because of their nostalgia goggles or they don't object because it's soapboxing against things that are more or less now part of the social mainstream, it's only issues they're personally on the other side of (until they too become the social mainstream) or they deeply misunderstood the show they were watching all along that cause their complaints.

#TASforSTO

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    There is a huge difference between politics involving the stupidity of racism or sexism and politics directed towards a specific political figure with the whole Remain Klingon in Discovery being linked to Trump. One form of politics helps push the world to the ideals of the Federation while the other alienates half the population.
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between politics involving the stupidity of racism or sexism and politics directed towards a specific political figure with the whole Remain Klingon in Discovery being linked to Trump. One form of politics helps push the world to the ideals of the Federation while the other alienates half the population.

The writers connected it to Trump, the story makes no reference to him and why would it. The whole Remain Klingon thing works for Klingons of any era in any show and can be connected to any racist, supremacist, or cultural isolationist you want in any era or country not just Trump.

Though it is a nice example of pretending politics you agree with is somehow different from politics you don't. T'Kuvma being a cultural isolationist is not much different from they guys in the picture for being stupid about skin colour, the only difference is that racism is now widely culturally unacceptable whereas cultural isolationism or exceptionalism is (to a degree) so you can complain about the latter as 'politics in muh Treks' but not the former.

The 'ideals of the Federation' don't support cultural isolationism or exceptionalism any more than they do racism and I'm not sure what show you're watching where it suggests otherwise. Solok was portrayed as the bad guy of 'Take Me Out to the Holosuite' for those very traits.

It's also hardly going to 'alienate half the population', Trump lost the popular vote even in America and America isn't the entire market for Star Trek (why would the rest of the world care about him or what references are supposedly made to him?).

Considering Klingons are stuck-ups for ancient traditions as it is means most people wouldn't even be thinking of Trump or indeed cultural isolationism or exceptionalism in the first place, they'd be thinking of Klingons (and no doubt asking themselves how exactly those morons have space flight in the first place). It's only going to alienate people directly looking for Trump references and deciding they're magically different from every other instance of political commentary, again, because it's politics they agree with under attack rather than the presence of politics in the first place.

#TASforSTO

I’m sure the interracial kiss between Kirk and Uhura alienated people during the 60’s. Star Trek shouldn’t shy away topics that people may deem “too political”.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    I think the more likely scenario is that Stewart knows it will not be received well and he's just laying the groundwork to hold anyone other than the Production responsible.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,112 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I think the more likely scenario is that Stewart knows it will not be received well and he's just laying the groundwork to hold anyone other than the Production responsible.

He's a little late for that as HE'S the one that's been saying he was HEAVILY involved in the STP Writer's room WRT development and execution of the story; PLUS he's stated from day one when they first approached him; he turned them down because he DIDN'T want to do a rehash or sequel to TNG.
    Post edited by crypticarmsman on
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    As much as I hate the grimdarkness, it sort of makes sense to see a change in the UFP.

I have no problem with some Trek being grimdark. But it doesn't need to be forced into every Trek show. Let people have BOTH their "TNG flavor" AND their "DS9 flavor", but don't force everything to be "DS9 flavor".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    > @khan5000 said:
    > I’m sure the interracial kiss between Kirk and Uhura alienated people during the 60’s. Star Trek shouldn’t shy away topics that people may deem “too political”.

Agreed , but it should do them foolishly either, don't make the mistake of outright leacturing people all the time which is what killed Supergirl and Batgirl's ratings. Seriously even feminists were complaining it was too much. And the new Sabrina is the first show to declare war against the very idea of Fatherhood itself.

Thankfully Discovery doesn't do this, its much more subtle.

But addressing political issues intelligently is a Star Trek tradition.
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I have no problem with some Trek being grimdark. But it doesn't need to be forced into every Trek show. Let people have BOTH their "TNG flavor" AND their "DS9 flavor", but don't force everything to be "DS9 flavor".

I think Starfleet Academy, ST: Pike, Lower Decks, and other ST: Cartoon will be the lighter Star Trek, with ST: Picard, Section 31, and Discovery being what passes for Grimdark in Star Trek (which is still Utopian compared to the utterly Distopian TV landscape of TV today).
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I have no problem with some Trek being grimdark. But it doesn't need to be forced into every Trek show. Let people have BOTH their "TNG flavor" AND their "DS9 flavor", but don't force everything to be "DS9 flavor".

I think Starfleet Academy, ST: Pike, Lower Decks, and other ST: Cartoon will be the lighter Star Trek, with ST: Picard, Section 31, and Discovery being what passes for Grimdark in Star Trek (which is still Utopian compared to the utterly Distopian TV landscape of TV today).

Great shows need a good balance between the light and the dark. One of my favorite scenes in Rick and Morty is also one of its darkest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHiAL0C6stE

He's a little late for that as HE'S the one that's been saying he was HEAVILY involved in the STP Writer's room WRT development and execution of the story; PLUS he's stated from day one when they first approached him; he tirned them down because he DIDN'T want to do a rehash of sequel to TNG.

Well... I never said it was a good plan. ;)

Still, I won't be surprised if the usual audience demographic is blamed if Star Trek: Picard is poorly received.
    Or if the Rotten Tomato's Audience Score is disappeared.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Considering Klingons are stuck-ups for ancient traditions as it is means most people wouldn't even be thinking of Trump or indeed cultural isolationism or exceptionalism in the first place, they'd be thinking of Klingons (and no doubt asking themselves how exactly those morons have space flight in the first place). It's only going to alienate people directly looking for Trump references and deciding they're magically different from every other instance of political commentary, again, because it's politics they agree with under attack rather than the presence of politics in the first place.
    Heh, by that token it's not really even political commentary. It's using phrases people are familiar with to express a point and not even talking about the point really.

The Klingon culture is one that hates the idea they aren't the greatest race in the universe. They loathe the idea of hybrids because they see them as lesser beings than true Klingons. Remember how Worf took some of the children of the inmates of Carraya back to the Empire? He only did that with the ones that weren't part Romulan. THOSE stayed on Carraya.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

He's a little late for that as HE'S the one that's been saying he was HEAVILY involved in the STP Writer's room WRT development and execution of the story; PLUS he's stated from day one when they first approached him; he tirned them down because he DIDN'T want to do a rehash of sequel to TNG.

Still, I won't be surprised if the usual audience demographic is blamed if Star Trek: Picard is poorly received.

Or if the Rotten Tomato's Audience Score has been frozen for weeks as proven by Rise of Skywalker. The score should rise or fall based on more and more reviews coming in, but it has been a constant 86% from when there was less than 10,000 reviews to now with just over 90,000 reviews. If a movie company is paying a rating website to fake their audience score, then at least make it look like its legitimate.
    starkaos wrote: »

Or if the Rotten Tomato's Audience Score has been frozen for weeks as proven by Rise of Skywalker. The score should rise or fall based on more and more reviews coming in, but it has been a constant 86% from when there was less than 10,000 reviews to now with just over 90,000 reviews. If a movie company is paying a rating website to fake their audience score, then at least make it look like its legitimate.

Indeed.
    Clearly these things are being handled by those who have yet to understand versimilitude.

Additionally, is it not strange that such an outfit, RT, would be so willing to weave itself into obsolescence? Never mind. That's off topic.

Does anyone else think that Mr. Stewart's attitude will serve to up the status of DS9?
  • jovianusjovianus Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    artan42 wrote: »
    jovianus wrote: »

On nos Not the politics!!! There's never been politics in ST before, this is completely new and original to PIC.

Yes, there has always been politics in Star Trek. But the context has always been of a future humanity that has pulled together and moved beyond the petty divisions and cruelties of the past. It addressed political issues either through encountering aliens, or rogue elements within.

But now, nope! The Federation and humanity in the 24th century are the same miserable, violent, corrupt and xenophobic jerks of today, just with spaceships and more exciting ways of killing. Woohoo!

Which is of course the same premise of Discovery. So apparently there was just this odd period between the mid 2200's and late 2300's when humanity tried to rise above, and then just decided nah, that's too much work, lets be ***holes again!