test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online and Stadia

nmcoolbreeze03#3912 nmcoolbreeze03 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Will Star Trek Online be coming to the Stadia?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• correction, will Star Trek Online be coming to Stadia and if so, when would that be expected to happen?
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I think xCloud is better, as is going to work on a PC also...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Not unless Google pays for the development and ongoing maintenance, and almost certainly not even then.

Stadia does not run PC software as-is, it must be ported. Borderlands 3 was not ready at launch, and the version that just appeared is 2 months behind the other platforms.

Stadia has very few users, and there is a very high risk that Google will get bored and kill it like they do with many of their products other than the core ones like search, maps, mail, ads.

Edit: Also, Stadia currently costs $130 + $10/month though some time in 2020 they say they'll offer a free tier. Games are sold at list price so $40-60 each. You can still get an Xbox One S + Jedi Fallen Order for $199 or a PS4 Slim + 3 games for $255. Both have huge libraries compared to Stadia's 22 games, and you can buy many good older titles for $10-15. With Xbox you can also sign up for Xbox Game Pass and play new games like Outer Worlds and Gears 5.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ALSO: It's pretty much guaranteed that Staadia is incapable of connecting to the Cryptic server.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    Not unless Google pays for the development and ongoing maintenance, and almost certainly not even then.

Stadia does not run PC software as-is, it must be ported. Borderlands 3 was not ready at launch, and the version that just appeared is 2 months behind the other platforms.

Stadia has very few users, and there is a very high risk that Google will get bored and kill it like they do with many of their products other than the core ones like search, maps, mail, ads.

Edit: Also, Stadia currently costs $130 + $10/month though some time in 2020 they say they'll offer a free tier. Games are sold at list price so $40-60 each. You can still get an Xbox One S + Jedi Fallen Order for $199 or a PS4 Slim + 3 games for $255. Both have huge libraries compared to Stadia's 22 games, and you can buy many good older titles for $10-15. With Xbox you can also sign up for Xbox Game Pass and play new games like Outer Worlds and Gears 5.

I'm not too sure how any of that really answers any question asked or has much in the way of a valid point!

Cryptic have already got the PC version ported for Xbox One and PS4, so Stadia not running PC games is a mute point there!

Stadia has few users and a small library, well, yeah! It is weeks old and you're comparing it to consoles that have been out for how long now?!

STO was also a subscription only game once and now have a FTP model, so things can change, and so will Stadia. The plans for a free tier will be out this year, they announced the plans before launch.
    ALSO: It's pretty much guaranteed that Stadia is incapable of connecting to the Cryptic server.

If it is, it will be in the same position as the Xbox One and PS4, so I do not see any issues creating another console version to run off the Google Stadia platform.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I think Stadia is going to be like Google Glasses. They will spend a huge amount of money to 'test the market' and then shelve it once they have the data they need.

The fact remains, the infrastructure is simply not there to make 'cloud gaming' viable at this time, and I highly doubt many developers will risk their time (and money) on the Stadia platform.

P.S: I see we already have one 'fan boy' on the thread, ardently defending Stadia, I never understood why people get so het up about businesses that could not give a jot about them.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I think Stadia is going to be like Google Glasses. They will spend a huge amount of money to 'test the market' and then shelve it once they have the data they need.

The fact remains, the infrastructure is simply not there to make 'cloud gaming' viable at this time, and I highly doubt many developers will risk their time (and money) on the Stadia platform.

P.S: I see we already have one 'fan boy' on the thread, ardently defending Stadia, I never understood why people get so het up about businesses that could not give a jot about them.

Just because they disagree with you does not make them a fan boy.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Cryptic have already got the PC version ported for Xbox One and PS4, so Stadia not running PC games is a mute point there!

Correction:

Cryptic has already spent months of time and hundreds of thousands of dollars to port to Xbox and PS4. At that time, there were over 15 million Xbox owners and 30 million PS4 users.

Also, Cryptic knew that (unlike with Google) there was no chance Microsoft and Sony would stop selling consoles. At that time Xbox was selling over 8 million a year, PS4 over 14 million.
    so things can change, and so will Stadia. The plans for a free tier will be out this year, they announced the plans before launch.

Sure, if Stadia suddenly starts adding 10 million new users a year, Cryptic might consider it.

They will probably still hesitate because of Google's kill-everything-new habit. It will hurt Cryptic if they spend $250,000+ on development then Stadia shuts down in a month.

sthe91 wrote: »

Did you see how many exclamation marks they used?

But, perhaps I interpret things differently to yourself :)
    edited January 2020

Did you see how many exclamation marks they used?

But, perhaps I interpret things differently to yourself :)

That is probably the case. I know of people who just like to use exclamation marks in their posts.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Why not just get STO via steam and use their streaming option for it?
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I still don't understand the point of Stadia. More than that, though, I don't understand why anyone thinks streaming STO is a good idea. It is hard enough for the game to offer a smooth connection as it is, and you want to add more latency to it?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    ...I do not see any issues creating another console version to run off the Google Stadia platform.
    Are you under the impression that "creating another console version" means just changing out a few names and publishing it?

I mean, sometimes it's really easy to tell who's never worked in software engineering at all (and/or is too young to remember when Macs were serious contenders for marketplace dominance, brought down in part by Apple's excessively proprietary software-development methods...).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    ...I do not see any issues creating another console version to run off the Google Stadia platform.
    Are you under the impression that "creating another console version" means just changing out a few names and publishing it?

I mean, sometimes it's really easy to tell who's never worked in software engineering at all (and/or is too young to remember when Macs were serious contenders for marketplace dominance, brought down in part by Apple's excessively proprietary software-development methods...).

I think not even X-Box is the same software as Windows (dispite both being developed by Microsoft) due to differing hardware needs.

I'm old enough to remember the time when Macs had chance of being compeating gaming platform to MS DOS/Windows and the fact even back then not everyone made stuff that could run on Macs due to the MS DOS/Windows market simply being much larger and Macs being a bit of pain to develop to due some bad calls by Apple.

I mean you have programs that do the exact same thing on exactly the same platform that don't work easily together (or at all), I remember back in the 90s your family's computer had too different word processing programs and you couldn't open a file from one with the other without getting an unreadable mess and that's 2 rather simple programs running on the same platform and OS.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    The biggest stumbling block (and it is a HUGE one) in porting STO to Stadia is that STO is locked to DirectX. The game would have to get a very major rewrite in order to switch it to Vulkan graphics (which is what Stadia uses).

Personally, I would prefer if they did switch to (or at least offer as an alternative) Vulkan since it is not locked exclusively to Microsoft operating systems, but since the game has settled into a use-and-maintenance mode instead of a heavy development one I doubt Cryptic and PWE will go to all the trouble and expense to do it.

BTW, the exclamation point stuff is fairly common in some languages, not a fanboy thing. If you stick to NA servers in games you might not see it a lot if there are not a lot of South American players on it, but it is an everyday thing in some of the unpartitioned world-wide virtual networks like Second Life.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Personally, I would prefer if they did switch to (or at least offer as an alternative) Vulkan since it is not locked exclusively to Microsoft operating systems, but since the game has settled into a use-and-maintenance mode instead of a heavy development one I doubt Cryptic and PWE will go to all the trouble and expense to do it.

I personally hope they got future plans for an STO 2 or STO Remaster beyond 2022

BTW, the exclamation point stuff is fairly common in some languages, not a fanboy thing. If you stick to NA servers in games you might not see it a lot if there are not a lot of South American players on it, but it is an everyday thing in some of the unpartitioned world-wide virtual networks like Second Life.

Thank you for explaining, I did not realise it was so common in other parts of the world.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »

I personally hope they got future plans for an STO 2 or STO Remaster beyond 2022

You do realize that even if STO 2 happens, all your items, ships and other perks would most likely not carry over? Same with resources (EC, dilithium, marks etc).

Would not be fair to do a completely new game in a sense and allow you to transfer all that across. Especially for any new players who would join up for a compltely fresh game.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    edited January 2020
    foxman00 wrote: »
    lordmerc22 wrote: »

You do realize that even if STO 2 happens, all your items, ships and other perks would most likely not carry over? Same with resources (EC, dilithium, marks etc).

Would not be fair to do a completely new game in a sense and allow you to transfer all that across. Especially for any new players who would join up for a compltely fresh game.

Yes of course, but it makes sense after so many years and its why companies keep the older game up too when releasing a sequel. The other path they could go is remaster and get the game on a modern engine that gives them more room to improve the game and it would not need a fresh start
    Post edited by lordmerc22 on
    edited January 2020
    I like it how it is now. Also, if you change it, it would affect those who have lower-end laptops and computers. No to STO2. What I would be in favor of is optimizing the engine that Star Trek Online uses and straightening out the spaghetti code. Yum! Spaghetti! :) With that said and the ire I have noticed from a lot of console players, not sure it would be a good idea to port it to Stadia as well. Just my thoughts on the subject. Thanks. :)
    The biggest stumbling block (and it is a HUGE one) in porting STO to Stadia is that STO is locked to DirectX. The game would have to get a very major rewrite in order to switch it to Vulkan graphics (which is what Stadia uses).

This game is not in a use-and-maintenance mode. It is still getting updates, patches with bug fixes, content, etc.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User

I doubt the PS4 port is using DirectX as the PS4 OS (Orbis) that was forked off FreeBSD Ver. 9.0
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User

This game is not in a use-and-maintenance mode. It is still getting updates, patches with bug fixes, content, etc.

It depends on how you look at it I suppose. To me, the engine and the content are two different things, and most of the time use-and-maintenance mode includes updates, just not major things like complete rewrites of the larger complex critical systems. Tweaking, streamlining, and piecemeal refactoring of lesser system elements are all part of maintenance.

It depends on how you look at it I suppose. To me, the engine and the content are two different things, and most of the time use-and-maintenance mode includes updates, just not major things like complete rewrites of the larger complex critical systems. Tweaking, streamlining, and piecemeal refactoring of lesser system elements are all part of maintenance.

Well, we have different definitions of what is maintenance and what is not. To me tweaking, streamlining, and refactoring of lesser system elements are not part of maintenance but of trying to improve the product.
    I like it how it is now. Also, if you change it, it would affect those who have lower-end laptops and computers. No to STO2. What I would be in favor of is optimizing the engine that Star Trek Online uses and straightening out the spaghetti code. Yum! Spaghetti! :) With that said and the ire I have noticed from a lot of console players, not sure it would be a good idea to port it to Stadia as well. Just my thoughts on the subject. Thanks. :)

I think an engine upgrade to a modern engine could make it easier for them to also hire people who know to work on it. Expertise is always a problem on old engines
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Guys, this is a tread about the merits of porting this game to Stadia, if google dont kill it at the first year, no STO2, that is in the FTC, so, to avoid closing the tread, keep on topic, please :wink:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Guys, this is a tread about the merits of porting this game to Stadia, if google dont kill it at the first year, no STO2, that is in the FTC, so, to avoid closing the tread, keep on topic, please :wink:

Given Google's past patience and determination on past efforts for innovation, its a given google will shut it down within 1-2 years
This discussion has been closed.