test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't Train Destabilizing Resonance Beam

salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
edited December 2018 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Ticket # 4,795,625
Characters affected: Jamar@salazarraze, Koroth@salazarraze (Confirmed chars only, will test others)

Hi, I completed the mission that gives you access to DRB and I crafted additional manuals. I have over 5 million expertise on each character. I promoted the bridge officers in question to commander. I even trained older bridge officers with DRB on the same character years ago. I am currently unable to train any new bridge officers in DRB on the above listed characters despite having everything unlocked. Just to be sure, I even played every single story mission including the TFO ones without skipping anything.

The button that says "Train" under any version of DRB is not greyed out. I am allowed to click it but nothing happens. It just stays there, my manual stays in my inventory and nothing happens. I can train these characters in any other standard power without issue. Thanks for looking into this.

EDIT: I have no issue training DRB on my main character Salazar@salazarraze. As I said, I can go through the process of testing additional characters if it helps the investigation. Thanks.
When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I wanted to give an update. The issue still persists.

I replayed "Blood of the Ancients" on one of my affected characters but unfortunately this has not fixed the issue. The character still has over 5 million expertise. All 3 manuals are crafted and ready for use but sadly it doesn't work.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited December 2018
    Ok, I've honesty tried everything. I've replayed the required mission even though I've already completed it. I've played every single other mission in the journal including the TFO missions just to be sure. I've crafted the required manual. I've promoted the bridge officers to commander. I have over 5 million xp. I've even checked to make sure that nothing is in my overflow bag and that I don't have mail clogging up my inbox.

This may seem crazy, but the ONLY thing that seems to be in common with my affected characters is that they are KDF aligned aliens. I do not have any FED aliens to test on but every other non-alien character (FED or KDF) is not affected. One of my KDF aligned aliens is a Rom-KDF, the other is a regular KDF.

EDIT: Another affected user states that his/her affected character is a standard FED Human. So my speculation about Aliens goes out the window.
    Post edited by salazarraze on
  • ataru#9476 ataru Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I have also encountered this issue.

Ticket Reference Number 181116-000270

Though the dialogue box tells me that I can teach the skill to the bridge officer, selecting "okay" does not do anything.

Steps to reproduce on this character:
    1) Character has completed "Blood of the Ancients" (Iconian War story mission)
    2) Craft or obtain as mission reward training manuals for "Destabilizing Resonance Beam"
    3) Acquire a science bridge officer and promote them all the way to Commander.
    4) Ensure sufficient expertise. This toon has over 2 million to spare.
    4) On the "skills" tab for that bridge officer, select the "Destabilizing Resonance Beam" skill and attempt to teach it to them. Accept the dialog box informing you that it will consume the manual and use expertise. I have attempted this both on space and ground maps as well as sector space.
    5) Observe that the skill is still not available for use by the bridge officer

Additional Information:
    1) This character has actually taught bridge officers this skill before, but can't now. In fact, I can't teach different ranks of Destabilizing Resonance Beam to a character who I already taught Destabilizing Resonance Beam.
    2) This character is able to teach other skills to his bridge officers, including the bridge officers I am attempting to teach Destabilizing Resonance Beam to.
    3) I have other characters that are able to teach Destabilizing Resonance Beam to their bridge officers. It seems to be just this one who is broken.
    4) Character's faction is 25th-century Federation.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    How odd. @chrian#9670 @engineerb4#4806

Unfortunately, I don't have any characters who are up to the Iconian Arc, yet, so I can not try it.
    And just the weird sorta thing I wanna compare on my various faction toons....if I had the time. Holidays...yadda yadda.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • chrian#9670 chrian Member Posts: 622 Cryptic Developer
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you for notifying us of this issue. I have filed the bug onto the correct team to verify and investigate.
    Thank you for your help.
  • realkirenrealkiren Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Still having this issue on one (but not all) of my characters.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    realkiren wrote: »
    Still having this issue on one (but not all) of my characters.

What is the faction, species, sex of your character?
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you for notifying us of this issue. I have filed the bug onto the correct team to verify and investigate.
    Thank you for your help.
    @chrian#9670

Also still having this issue. The only way I see this getting fixed is if I try to replay the story missions. I'll try it out but it will be really tedious so I won't have any answers on it for a while.
  • akavenomakavenom Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Hi, I've also had this bug going on with my Alien Romulan Male Federation. Lothern@akavenom and i have sent in tickets to the Game Masters. I've gone through the story line with my other alts and i find that when they completed the mission, and i went to learn it, which is a Romulan female engineer Federation, it shows {untranslated_Skillpicker_Available_Pool_Expertise_Changed} and it seems even on my engineer romulan Federation Female which this doesn't show on my romulan alien male science officer Federation I'm curious on a few things surrounding these incidents. If anyone can help with this issue please do. I have the screen shots saved if you want to see. Ticket# 190507-000076
    Post edited by akavenom on
  • mazikenmaziken Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Having this issue as well.
  • voch5voch5 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Same issue for me as well. Have noted the bug on reddit as well.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/bz4cgl/unable_to_train_boff/

This is my main toon, created in 2014 and is level 65. I have many millions of expertise points.

Crafted Destabilising Resonance Beam I & II manuals for a Science BOFF who is promoted to Commander. Made sure the manuals were in the Inventory. The "learn" button shows up as active under the skills tab for that BOFF but clicking it does nothing. The manual isn't consumed and the BOFF doesn't learn the skill. Quite obviously.

Tried it on two other BOFFs on the same character and didn't work for them either. The other Science BOFF I have has already learned those skills. Tried it in ground and space maps. Still no go. Logged out and back in, changed instances, tried again. Verified files. Still no go.

Will try on different characters as well and see how that goes.
    @chrian#9670 Just wanted to make sure that the recent posters accounts are added to the devs radar of known accounts/characters with the same issue. Thanks again.
  • zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    im not crazy. I deleted mine and got new ones for I, ii and iii. nun will work. but I do have a random old boff with a ii unlocked. but still cant unlock I or iii on that boff. Fed Sci Human toon.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • alcadizzaralcadizzar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Can't train my boffs the DRB either. Fed Sci Alien and Alien Boff
    Ticket # 4,795,625
    Characters affected: Jamar@salazarraze, Koroth@salazarraze (Confirmed chars only, will test others)

I don't know why yet but Koroth@salazarraze is no longer affected. Jamar@salazarraze still is.
  • mazikenmaziken Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Any update on this? I still can't train my BOffs with DRB 1.
  • alzleealzlee Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    filed a new bug report today for my kdf rom science character pointing to 181116-000270 noting same issues despite 10 diff unique boff types including a weyoun and despite trying every possible work around including trashiing and recrafting
  • xindax76xindax76 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I bought to my TOS toon - Sci (Vulcan Female) Kentari Sci boff from my friends colony holding. I finish mission, get manuals in inventory and cannot learn thos skills...
    Other skills I can learn.
    Request (78055).
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you for your help.

Yeah, still horrendeously broken. I can't train DRB I, II, or III to *any* of my Rom SRO science officers. Rather disappointed; skill training is a rather basic thing. I say 'Less money to expensive voice actors, and a wee more towards fixing the basics.'
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Bought a new Kentari boff. Can't train DRB on her, either. In fact, on NONE of my Science officers (Rom player, fed-aligned). Please, FIX.

As reported earlier, can't teach Cryonic Pulse either.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ncredibleguyncredibleguy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I don't know if it is related to your problem but there is a bug that makes some ppl unable to train a boff when their skills show up in the wrong level because a lower skill is missing, ie causing gravwell to show up in a ensign or Lt slot when being a lt commander skill. What fixes that problem is re-assigning the default skills on the 4 ranks on the boffs that they have already learned, sticking them in a ship slot and clicking the reload default skills, then training them may work as the correct skills will then show up in the correct skill slot. I was just able to train a vanguard and male sci sro with drb.
  • lamechhever#3464 lamechhever Member Posts: 1 New User
    Having the same issue. And am player returning from a two year break. Play a TOS Male Sci character and my K13 Female Vulcan Sci Bridge officer is unable to learn Destabilizing Resonance Beam I, or III. Have Destabilizing Resonance Beam II learned on them from ages ago, but assume it'd be broken as well. Hopefully more information gets this more attention and makes it easier to fix
  • ataru#9476 ataru Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I don't know if it is related to your problem but there is a bug that makes some ppl unable to train a boff when their skills show up in the wrong level because a lower skill is missing, ie causing gravwell to show up in a ensign or Lt slot when being a lt commander skill. What fixes that problem is re-assigning the default skills on the 4 ranks on the boffs that they have already learned, sticking them in a ship slot and clicking the reload default skills, then training them may work as the correct skills will then show up in the correct skill slot. I was just able to train a vanguard and male sci sro with drb.

Messing around with the default skills on the affected boff actually fixed this for me. Once I rearranged skills on a couple of my boffs (the one who had DRB and the one I wanted to train), I put them on a ship station. Then I changed their skills and it worked fine. Kinda weird but it worked.
    ataru#9476 wrote: »

Messing around with the default skills on the affected boff actually fixed this for me. Once I rearranged skills on a couple of my boffs (the one who had DRB and the one I wanted to train), I put them on a ship station. Then I changed their skills and it worked fine. Kinda weird but it worked.

I tried this out but sadly it didn't work. Doesn't mean it won't work for other people but it didn't work for me.
  • jamesbrycejamesbryce Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I have this issue as well. I've submitted request for GM help, posted a thread in the Support Forum as well as a Bug Report. Character effected is Chorog@jamesbryce and the boffs I've been trying to train are a Vanguard JemHadar and Kentari science boff. The manual is in my inventory and i have more than enough XP to train them. Not sure where else to post on this issue.
    westmetals wrote: »
    ...and... just unlocked it on another character, only to find out that they are also affected.... can't train any form of DRB on ANY sci BOFF.

And this is really getting ridiculous. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg