test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[BUILD] Fleet Kurak Battlecruiser T6

winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
Greetings, Admirals!

Welcome to Winters Budget Builds Series.

This series is intended to be a guide on how to effectively, efficiently and more importantly, build Starships on a “budget”. This is not intended to be a “min max” series by any means. The builds you will see here will show you how to create an effective build on a budget. Each video will cover all aspects of the build, Weapons, Equipment, Consoles, Skill Tree, Traits, Boff Abilities, Doffs, Specializations, etc. For each video I will also have the build replicated on STO Academy so that players can view the builds in detail and review them when needed.

Near the end of each video I will also demonstrate the builds in a Patrol so that viewers can see the build in action. I have chosen this over “Infected: The Conduit - Advanced” as the outcome of that TFO can be affected by the team that you are with. Whereas playing a patrol, you can see how the build performs in a single player environment. Every player, new and veteran, will find this series a valuable source of information. You may even learn something new!

If you have any requests for a particular ship that you would like to see, please leave a comment stating the request and “if” I have the ship, I will endeavor to do a video for that ship.

Fleet Kurak Battlecruiser T6

Link to Build: CLICK HERE

Subscribe to channel: Winters Gaming
Twitter: @P1Winters83
Twitch Channel: Winters1983
Armada Website: www.priorityonearmada.com​​
Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    I might as well also post the reply here.

It's like watching a blast from the past.
    Solid AP build albeit a bit dated. It's probably a build often seen during the Iconian War arc period.

There are quite a few AP options which have become available since that time and which may be worth considering.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Antiproton_Matter_Conversion_Beam_Array
    Some extra resist.
    Delphic AP (potent, but costly on exchange)
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Delphic_Antiproton_weapons_(space)
    Advanced Radiant (Herald) Set:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Radiant_Armaments#Advanced_Radiant_Antiproton_Beam_Array
    Omni directional Support Beam Array (competitive rep T6)
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Obfuscated_Strategist_Set#Antiproton_Variant
    Delta T6
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Delta_Alliance_Ordnance#Antiproton_variant

For those who hate torpedoes i advice you to not look at the spoiler: That said, a single energy torpedo can help tremendously with power management for those who struggle with that.

Merry X-mas @winters83 and a happy new year in advance.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    One more remark, the two piece of the ancient set (warp core and omni beam) "only" provides a 10% bonus.

If you're already committed to the 3-piece iconian set, it might be worth going for the 4-piece set. The Iconian Warp Core is excellent and the 4-piece set provides better bonuses than the ancient two piece.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ancient_Obelisk_Technology_Set#Ancient_Omni-Directional_Antiproton_Beam_Array
    vs
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Iconian_Resistance_Starship_Technologies
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    One more remark, the two piece of the ancient set (warp core and omni beam) "only" provides a 10% bonus.

If you're already committed to the 3-piece iconian set, it might be worth going for the 4-piece set. The Iconian Warp Core is excellent and the 4-piece set provides better bonuses than the ancient two piece.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ancient_Obelisk_Technology_Set#Ancient_Omni-Directional_Antiproton_Beam_Array
    vs

I'd say that is debatable. The 4 piece is definitely good, but as a click power with a long CD, if you're like me you may sit on it rather than use it. The constant bonus damage from the obelisk set is easy and always on.

On this build itself, it is straightforward and works, and is definitely affordable. I prefer forward facing weapons on a 5/x ship, but if you aren't buffing your turn rate, that can be a problem on this ship.

A few criticisms though, first why use the 8472 console over a conductive RCS? The RCS would be cheaper than the probe console if you don't care about the UR mod. Or you might want a bellum RCS for more crit from disco rep since this is an AP build. I'd also say Lorca's fire control console is something to consider on any ship these days, especially if you aren't in a fleet for locator consoles, if you want the extra crit and shield penetration (an aux to bat build has plenty of weapon power.)

The other thing is you should fit in the priors world satellite console, as it will almost certainly give you more damage increase than one of the other AP boost consoles due to the power cost reduction. I don't think that is in the phoenix shop yet, so that may be an option some just don't have yet, but eventually that would be a great console on an 8 beam ship.

Finally, while you can play any captain you want, a KDF Romulan would be better as the captain for this ship for the ability to go full SRO with your BOFFs, which of course are great with AP weapons. The Romulan counterpart to this ship is the Morrigu which is an odd occurance where the build does not translate easily between factions for a multi faction ship pack, so someone might want to fly a Kurak (or Arbiter) over the Morrigu.
    questerius wrote: »

vs

I'd say that is debatable. The 4 piece is definitely good, but as a click power with a long CD, if you're like me you may sit on it rather than use it. The constant bonus damage from the obelisk set is easy and always on.

On this build itself, it is straightforward and works, and is definitely affordable. I prefer forward facing weapons on a 5/x ship, but if you aren't buffing your turn rate, that can be a problem on this ship.

A few criticisms though, first why use the 8472 console over a conductive RCS? The RCS would be cheaper than the probe console if you don't care about the UR mod. Or you might want a bellum RCS for more crit from disco rep since this is an AP build. I'd also say Lorca's fire control console is something to consider on any ship these days, especially if you aren't in a fleet for locator consoles, if you want the extra crit and shield penetration (an aux to bat build has plenty of weapon power.)

The other thing is you should fit in the priors world satellite console, as it will almost certainly give you more damage increase than one of the other AP boost consoles due to the power cost reduction. I don't think that is in the phoenix shop yet, so that may be an option some just don't have yet, but eventually that would be a great console on an 8 beam ship.

Finally, while you can play any captain you want, a KDF Romulan would be better as the captain for this ship for the ability to go full SRO with your BOFFs, which of course are great with AP weapons. The Romulan counterpart to this ship is the Morrigu which is an odd occurance where the build does not translate easily between factions for a multi faction ship pack, so someone might want to fly a Kurak (or Arbiter) over the Morrigu.

it is more than just the 4 piece. The Iconian Warpcore is simply a lot better than the Obelisk one. Obelisk WC has a focus on Aux while Iconian has a focus on engine. In addition the iconian WC has access to {amp] at UR and has hot restart.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Another interesting build.. thanks for posting.

As usual, there are a few things I would do different.. I agree with @questerius on the Iconian Core, if you're going to go with Iconian, might as well do the full set.. the Iconian core is also a very good core. the 4pc bonus is great in teamed runs.

I was a little confused to see you using Omni Beams in the rear and then broadsiding. I understand that one of them is there for set bonus, but in your combat portion you're mostly keeping the enemy on your sides. You can boost your damage by swapping out a couple omni beams for single beams. That, or if you're going to go Omni beams in the rear, I would swap to Dual Beam Banks in the front and throw the Competitive Engines on it to help bolster turn rate. The latter is probably too much of a change to the build, so I don't blame you for not going that route, but I would consider putting some single beams in your aft. Using Superior Pedal To The Medal means you're not going to 'park' so take advantage of the need to broadside.

Plasmonic Leech is doing absolutely nothing for you in an A2B Build. It's power siphon is pathetic and you should be getting plenty of power to your first 3 systems by draining your Aux.

Traits.. Desperate Repairs does nothing. I'm not saying it seems like it.. I mean it literally does nothing.. drop it. It's extraordinarily rare to get hit with a Critical 3 times in the span needed to proc this trait.. you're sadly wasting a trait slot here. Desperate Repairs is one of the worst traits in the game.

Overwhelming Force - Again.. it does absolutely nothing in this build. It procs off Overload and Torpedo High Yield, you are using neither of these powers.

Emergency Weapon Cycle - The best trait in the game.. it comes from the ship you're using, but you don't have this trait slotted.. confusing.

Last comments is on your bridge officer powers. You mention that you often don't hit your Aux2Bat in order to save aux power for Science abilities like Transfer Shield strength. While this makes sense for that reason, in an A2B build it's also your primary method of cool down reduction meaning you generally want to fire it off as soon as you can. Many counter this by using abilities that are not aux dependent, in this case Science Team would be more useful as a shield heal. When it comes to Hazard Emitters, there is no reason to save Aux for this, the main function of Hazard Emitters is the cleanse. Even with full Aux, the heal over time is minimal at best.. you're better off using something like Engineering Team for your hull heal, and then you can just hold Hazard Emitters for a cleanse and spam A2B for your cool downs. If you don't feel you need the cleanse, then change it for Polarize Hull to resist holds.

It's an interesting build.. with a few tweaks it could be your most powerful build yet. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @questerius said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > it is more than just the 4 piece. The Iconian Warpcore is simply a lot better than the Obelisk one. Obelisk WC has a focus on Aux while Iconian has a focus on engine. In addition the iconian WC has access to {amp] at UR and has hot restart.

I prefer the Temporal Core myself.

@azrael605
    For science builds i would agree that the Temporal WC is a solid choice, but the Kurak is a vanilla battle cruiser with little science. I don't think a temporal Core is the best choice for this particular ship.
    I am making the assumption that he has the C-Store version, yes. If not, then understandable, but either way he has 2 traits doing nothing (Desperate Repairs and Overwhelming Force) that should be replaced with something.. anything.. else. :wink:
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yes...with how low most NPCs tend to crit, desperate repairs is really doing nothing - even the backwards driving trait would be a better choice​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Emergency Weapon Cycle - The best trait in the game.. it comes from the ship you're using, but you don't have this trait slotted.. confusing.

If he got the ship with modules and not the zen store, he would not have access to this trait. Why you would do that on zen ship you really REALLY want the trait for and save yourself 5 fleet modules is beyond me...but that is an option. A very stupid one...but an option none the less.

People could have gotten this ship for only $10 recently too, not to mention the free T6 coupons. It is really hard to not have this ship right now, but still want to get the fleet version.
  • winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
    Wow, that's a lot of comments! :wink:

So hey guys,

Sorry for the really slow reply! As I'm sure all of you can appreciate it is a very busy time of year as it is for everyone and for you to I'm sure. Anyway, regarding the Iconian 4 piece vs the Obelisk 2 piece. I think that it's 6 of one and half a dozen of another. Yes the Iconian 4 piece might have been "a little" bit better but I'm try to show variety in this series as well as how to build ships on a budget.

Regarding the traits, I did say in the episode that I would normally use Beam Overload III rather than Beam Fire at Will III. But I changed this for this episode for the demonstration part of the episode. I guess that it never clicked with me when I done the build on STO Academy.

As for the Desperate Repairs trait, man I can't tell you how many times that trait has kept me in the fight. More times than I can count actually. I think that it's a great trait even against NPC's. I use it on my Defiant build and it is always saving my bacon just when I'm about to go pop.

Regarding the Emergency Weapon Cycle trait, yeah I don't have that on this toon. I was just using what I had available. I will looking into getting that trait on this toon though. Thanks for pointing that out.

To @seaofsorrows, I may have been broadsiding but I wasn't necessarily flying to get that effect. I was just flying about and trying to keep enemies in my firing arcs. Regarding the Aux power and Aux2Batt abilities. I didn't say that I "don't use Aux2Batt" to keep my science abilities from being useless. In fact I said that I use "Aux Batteries" to "boost up" my "Aux power level" when I need a hull or shield heal. Remember!? I realized that I didn't have the Aux battery on my tray and I fixed it in the episode!? :smile:

Anyway, thank you all for the comments! I hope that I was able to clear some things up a little. As I've said before, my way isn't the only way and I'm always learning new things too. So, I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season and I wish each of you a very happy new year too! :smile:

-Winters
    Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
    Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
    U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
    Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast
    Sounds good @winters83, again.. just giving my opinion on how I would do it. As always, I respect the difference of opinion. :smile:

Broadsiding is actually a smart way to play when using Pedal to the Medal, I don't mean to say that those Omni's won't do the job.. they do, just trying to get you a little boost. If you like Desperate Repairs, then that's cool.. personally, I have never once seen that trait actually proc but I might just have worse luck with it then you do.

I actually don't remember the part about the Aux batteries, guess I blacked out for that part. :lol: That's my bad.

Good work as always!