test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[BUILD] Fleet Eclipse Intel Cruiser T6 - BSG

winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
Greetings, Admirals!

Welcome to Winters Budget Builds Series.

This series is intended to be a guide on how to effectively, efficiently and more importantly, build Starships on a “budget”. This is not intended to be a “min max” series by any means. The builds you will see here will show you how to create an effective build on a budget. Each video will cover all aspects of the build, Weapons, Equipment, Consoles, Skill Tree, Traits, Boff Abilities, Doffs, Specializations, etc. For each video I will also have the build replicated on STO Academy so that players can view the builds in detail and review them when needed.

Near the end of each video I will also demonstrate the builds in a Patrol so that viewers can see the build in action. I have chosen this over “Infected: The Conduit - Advanced” as the outcome of that TFO can be affected by the team that you are with. Whereas playing a patrol, you can see how the build performs in a single player environment. Every player, new and veteran, will find this series a valuable source of information. You may even learn something new!

If you have any requests for a particular ship that you would like to see, please leave a comment stating the request and “if” I have the ship, I will endeavor to do a video for that ship.

Fleet Eclipse Intel Cruiser T6 - BSG

Link to Build: CLICK HERE

Subscribe to channel: Winters Gaming
Twitter: @P1Winters83
Twitch Channel: Winters1983
Armada Website: www.priorityonearmada.com​​
Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Saw it uploaded yesterday. Haven't had the courage to watch it completely.
    While i made several full turret builds myself (favorite on on this ship https://sto.gamepedia.com/APU_Cruiser it seems a waste on a nimble vessel such as the eclipse.

Instinctively it's better suited for DHC/turret or SC/turret.

Why did you avoid the trilithium turret in your build. Additional haste should be a blessing for a turret build?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
    questerius wrote: »
    Saw it uploaded yesterday. Haven't had the courage to watch it completely.
    While i made several full turret builds myself (favorite on on this ship https://sto.gamepedia.com/APU_Cruiser it seems a waste on a nimble vessel such as the eclipse.

Instinctively it's better suited for DHC/turret or SC/turret.

Why did you avoid the trilithium turret in your build. Additional haste should be a blessing for a turret build?

TRIBBLE, I was sure that I had that turret on there. I can't believe that I didn't even notice it when I was putting the build together on STO Academy. Grrr Anyway, as you will see, the premise for this build is BSG. It's meant to be a bit of fun, something different from what you might conventionally think of doing with this ship or maybe another one. :smile:

-Winters
    Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
    Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
    U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
    Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I've never liked all turret builds. They are so boring to play. I think this ship in particular, though, is well suited to the 180 degree cannons since it has a good turn rate. It seems like an easy swap to do too.

Is there anything you'd do different in a 180 cannon build?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Despite it's turn rate, the Eclipse is not a good ship for a 180' Cannon Build.

Why? One crippling thing.. 4/4 layout.

A 4/4 layout isn't great for a cannon build. If you want to have all your weapons facing forward, you have to go with 4 Dual Cannons up front and 4 turrets in the rear. Yes, that would probably out pace 8 turrets, but honestly.. it probably wouldn't be much fun. You could easily find another ship better suited to that build. Simply put, you're better off doing 8 single beams and broadsiding if you don't want to do a turret build.

The funny thing is, I also run my Eclipse as an all turret build. Yes, it's purely a 'for fun' build as is this one.. but the ship works well if you're looking for an all turret platform. Other then Turrets, the most 'optimal' layout for the Eclipse is 8 single beams or 7 single beams and an omni for set bonus (Trilithium Laced.)

I have to agree with Winters, turrets on the Eclipse is fun. You're certainly not going to burn up the DPS charts, but it's a fun ship.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well of course DHCs are better than 180 cannons. The question though, is why do turrets when the ship is very capable of doing 180 cannons with its high (for a cruiser) turn rate? I tend to think a turret build is a better choice for a much worse turner than this ship.

Yeah, personally, I'd do beams or maybe DHCs instead if I were outfitting the ship, but I have done a 180 cannon build before on a worse turning ship and found it pretty nice. It isn't the same as a forward firing DHC/DBB build, as it can 'S' its way through a battle which is much better defensively than DHCs and better offensively than turrets.

Obviously if you want to do a fun turret build, there is nothing wrong with that, but my view is that if you can do a turret build, you are usually going to be just fine running a 180 cannon build, and will do more damage that way, so its just a step up. You can optionally add in 180 torpedoes too, but this ship is already tight on tac boffs. Though, if you don't get Kemocite 1, its a fine place for torpedo spread.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Well of course DHCs are better than 180 cannons. The question though, is why do turrets when the ship is very capable of doing 180 cannons with its high (for a cruiser) turn rate? I tend to think a turret build is a better choice for a much worse turner than this ship.

Yeah, personally, I'd do beams or maybe DHCs instead if I were outfitting the ship, but I have done a 180 cannon build before on a worse turning ship and found it pretty nice. It isn't the same as a forward firing DHC/DBB build, as it can 'S' its way through a battle which is much better defensively than DHCs and better offensively than turrets.

Obviously if you want to do a fun turret build, there is nothing wrong with that, but my view is that if you can do a turret build, you are usually going to be just fine running a 180 cannon build, and will do more damage that way, so its just a step up. You can optionally add in 180 torpedoes too, but this ship is already tight on tac boffs. Though, if you don't get Kemocite 1, its a fine place for torpedo spread.

My apologies, I got a my wires crossed a bit and was talking about Dual Cannons instead of Single Cannons.. allow me to clarify now that I'm apparently a bit more awake. :lol:

Back in the early days of T6, the Eclipse was one of my 'go to' ships, so I have played with a lot of different loadouts for it. Back when I was testing the different builds possible for the ship, I tried a single beam build, a single cannon/turret build, and an all turret build. My personal results were as follows:

1. The all Beam Build - This build parsed the highest of all of them. I have used it fairly recently and even in the current state of the game, the single beams were the 'best' from a DPS perspective. The downside? Well.. it's a bit boring. It's just a standard 4/4 A2B Beam Build... it gets the job done well, but it's not particularly unique in any way. Simple, effective.. perhaps a little boring.

2. The Single Cannon/Turret Build - This was a build I had a lot of hopes for but was surprisingly disappointing. This was my lowest DPS build actually parsing less then the all turret build. I was hoping that the increased firing arc of single cannons combined with the nimble nature of the ship would mean it was easier to keep all weapons on target. While it was fairly easy, flying it was functionally the same as a dual cannon build just with a slightly wider arc and less damage. I am sure a good portion of my lackluster results was simply bad piloting.. but I honestly just couldn't make this build work for me. It felt like I was flying a standard cannon build on a ship that wasn't built for it and getting so/so results. It will vary per player, but overall this was my least enjoyable build and also my least effective. Those two facts might well have contributed to one another. I was surprised at how little the single cannons seemed to deliver, on paper they should be pretty good.

3. The All Turret Build - This one was surprisingly effective. I don't remember the actual numbers, but it did well enough to use in Advanced though it wasn't the type of ship that would carry the team if I got stuck with leavers or all under geared players. The build was fun but the big thing is.. it's probably the easiest build you can play in STO. Yes, the damage per weapon is low, but you always have 8 weapons on target, it's incredibly forgiving of piloting.. it's honestly, almost impossible to TRIBBLE up. I was using it in an A2B setup using Withering Barrage to keep Scatter Volley up as much as possible and if you're doing story missions on Advanced it's pretty much invincible even if you're not a great pilot.

If someone is having trouble completing story missions, an all turret build is actually a pretty good option. It doesn't take a lot of skill or knowledge to play and being able to constantly keep all weapons on target no matter what actually makes up a fair portion of the DPS loss from using weaker weapons. I consider it a 'for fun' build, I don't run queues with it normally, but occaisonally I break it out and run some queues. For story missions, even on advanced the all turret Eclipse is pretty much just an 'I win' button. It's so easy to fly that as long as you have a fairly sensible bridge officer and console layout.. you'll cruise.

Oh, and it's also pretty cool looking. 8 Turrets pumping out constant scatter volleys looks rather impressive. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    thx for the idea, maybe the next build to create :) beams become boring quickly.