test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

space skill tree expanded

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
Like we can have multiple builds for each character, maybe that could be interesting to have the possibility of having 2 space skill trees:

for example, an enginner could have 1 tree more tactical for the use of weapons (cannons, beams), and a 2nd tree science.

We have a lot of ships, cruiser, science ships, tac ships, but we can't adapt our space skills to these ships, unless if we use each time a token.

I don't know if this is possible, but that would be cool. :)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    "Skill tree loadouts" is an interesting idea. I'd expect Cryptic to charge for each additional loadout slot though.

If I had to pick one new skill feature, I'd rather have a separation between space and ground for the primary + secondary specialization choices. That way you could pick two ground-focused specs for ground maps, two space for space. This would be very helpful when doing random TFOs, and even story episodes since most switch between space and ground.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    "Skill tree loadouts" is an interesting idea.

Never going to happen. I know them by now, LOL, and they will just say it takes away choices you made (and effectively just defeats the purpose of choosing skills to begin with).

3lsZz0w.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Why would they expand it now after already streamlining it some time ago?
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    "Skill tree loadouts" is an interesting idea. I'd expect Cryptic to charge for each additional loadout slot though.

If I had to pick one new skill feature, I'd rather have a separation between space and ground for the primary + secondary specialization choices. That way you could pick two ground-focused specs for ground maps, two space for space. This would be very helpful when doing random TFOs, and even story episodes since most switch between space and ground.

exactly, that would be very interesting.

they have revamped the skill trees, but we can't use their full potential.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I agree that allowing people multiple skill tree setups defeats the purpose of having to choose in the first place.

While I would also like to have different ground and space Specialty setups, since most of them have ground and space, I can see where that would also defeat having to choose Specialties - although less so since we can switch these at will outside of combat.

Now, what I would really want is for Loadouts to have Traits saved (and Specialty selections, as well). I can live with having to make choices, but it would be a huge quality of life improvement (for me) if I didn't have to remember all of the choices across all my alts and ships after taking the time to set them up in the first place.
    I agree that allowing people multiple skill tree setups defeats the purpose of having to choose in the first place.

well, if you have a 2nd skill tree, you can make different choices for a different use. My main is a tac, with skills chosen for this role, but i would like to have a 2nd skill tree for being able to use 1 of my sci ships. Sure, i can do that already, if I use a retrain token. but it would be just impossible to use a token each time that I would switch between my ships; that would be quickly very boring.

The purpose of all of that would be to increase the gaming experience for all the captains.

well, if you have a 2nd skill tree, you can make different choices for a different use. My main is a tac, with skills chosen for this role, but i would like to have a 2nd skill tree for being able to use 1 of my sci ships. Sure, i can do that already, if I use a retrain token. but it would be just impossible to use a token each time that I would switch between my ships; that would be quickly very boring.

The purpose of all of that would be to increase the gaming experience for all the captains.

I get around that by creating a new character, but not everyone wants 10+ captains :)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    But then you can't have parties like this

https://youtu.be/RAqgYxkIUU0
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    or this

(Image with obscene language removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

I get around that by creating a new character, but not everyone wants 10+ captains :)

yeah, I understand, i have 12 characters :p
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I have 19 on my Lifer acct
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D

Just to add to this, I don't want it for min-maxing or powercreep. It's because right now the shared specializations pushes me towards picking specializations that are OK for both space + ground, while ignoring the others.

If I could pick 2 that are only enabled for space, and 2 only enabled for ground, I would pick other specializations to try out, adding a little bit of new gameplay flavor to STO for me.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Also Ground and Space Active Reputation Traits.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    While flexibility is nice, too much of it just homogenizes characters into a single lump with nothing but cosmetic differences. Personally I would rather they expand what is available rather than simply take away all the relevance of choices.
This discussion has been closed.