test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Selling stack on the marketplace

zedaxuszedaxus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Hey everyone, just wanted to make a post about something real quick. So I made an expensive mistake yesterday, and I can't help but feel like other people have made it, too, just because of how easy it is to make. I sold a stack of items for the price of one, because there is no indication what the sell price you're entering is for, per stack or per item. Yes, like a GM pointed out when I contacted support, the system has been this way for years. You can't buy single items from a stack so why would the price be per item? Surely I should've known by now, yeah? Well, no. I avoid selling stacks as I have for years precisely because there is that missing indicator, and not everyone will put two and two together before they mess up. Also, me knowing doesn't stop someone else, like a new player, who doesn't know from making the same mistake. The GM is forwarding my feedback on this, so hopefully someone can avoid this mistake by seeing this post or, hopefully, by eventually having a feature that tells them the price they're entering is for the stack.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    When you drag a stack to the sell bar it asks you how many you want to put there, always has, nothing more is needed.

Yep. Sorry for your loss but it's up to you to pay attention when posting to the exchange.

If you're afraid of doing it again, split off single items in your inventory and post them to the exchange instead of your stack.

I'm not against them automatically showing a "price per item" for you next to the total price, but it might not help much if you're rushing things and going click-click-click with only half of your mind on it. I deleted an email with a million plus credits worth of attachments one time when I was zipping through cleaning up my mailbox.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    zedaxus wrote: »
    because there is no indication what the sell price you're entering is for, per stack or per item.

Yes there is. There is a number in the corner of the picture of the item based on how many are being sold. In this pic you will see a "4" in the corner of the picture:

5MRAxGu.jpg

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    because there is no indication what the sell price you're entering is for, per stack or per item.

Yes there is. There is a number in the corner of the picture of the item based on how many are being sold. In this pic you will see a "4" in the corner of the picture:

Your image is from after you have posted, OP would like something to appear before you click (POST), for example "4 @ 18,000,000" could appear to the right of the post button. Of course someone going click-click-click will click POST without stopping to notice it.

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited December 2019

Your image is from after you have posted, OP would like something to appear before you click (POST), for example "4 @ 18,000,000" could appear to the right of the post button. Of course someone going click-click-click will click POST without stopping to notice it.

I'm not talking about the text. Like I said in my post, I'm talking about the number that appears in the corner of the actual item image:

r0EmJKP.jpg
    I tested that with an item not yet posted and that number does in fact appear in the item image BEFORE the sale is posted. So in response to the OP's complaint:

Yes, there is. It is the number in the corner. That number tells you whether you are selling a single item, or more than one. So your price should be based on that number.

To be clear, I definitely think this interface could be improved. I'm simply disagreeing with the statement I quoted about there being "no indication". The indication is definitely there.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    I feel your pain. Yeah, the rest of the world will simply tell you to be more careful in the future. I once had a glitch that cost me an insane amount of EC. I dragged the item to the "sell" window, and the game engine automatically listed the item, without letting me set a price. Long story short; I lost. One thing you can try is to contact the buyer, and ask them to trade the items back to you. You should've gotten a PM about who bought it. Check your mail. Most people won't, but, maybe this player will be understanding and decide to be nice to you. What did you lose, and what did it cost you?
    And I agree that there should be more info, perhaps a tutorial, for new players about the exchange.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    When you drag a stack to the sell bar it asks you how many you want to put there, always has, nothing more is needed.

We don't always agree on everything, but this one, indeed, seems pretty cut and dry: the slider says how many of your stack you want to sell, and always defaults to the maximum. Perhaps one could argue this is best set to just the minimum, but that would be equally annoying if you always want to sell a full stack. So, paying attention is simply the only way to 'solve' this.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Agreed. If the item you are selling has more than one item in it then the popup to ask how many you want to sell comes up, with the default being all of them. That should be plenty of notice that you're about to sell a stack. The number you then list for such items is per stack with the game doing the math for how much each item would be.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2019

I'm not talking about the text. Like I said in my post, I'm talking about the number that appears in the corner of the actual item image:

r0EmJKP.jpg
    I tested that with an item not yet posted and that number does in fact appear in the item image BEFORE the sale is posted. So in response to the OP's complaint:

Yes, there is. It is the number in the corner. That number tells you whether you are selling a single item, or more than one. So your price should be based on that number.

No, that just tells you that you're selling 4 of the item. It doesn't tell you whether the credit value that you're tying into the entry box is the total stack price for those 4 items, or the individual price for each of those 4 items.

edit: having a drop-down option so you could pick which you were doing would be a nice improvement - sometimes I'd like to be able to put up a stack of <varied amount> and not have to go to my calculator to figure out what an undercut value would be based off the lowest unit value currently for sale.
This discussion has been closed.