test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts on what you'd like for 10th Anniversary Ship?

strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Solanae_Dyson_Science_Destroyer

I'd always loved one year I think they did a Dyson ship for an Anniversary; and last year wondered when we'd likely see new Dyson ships.

Still I don't think we'll see another as an Anniversary Ship, but they've had several real nice Anniversary Ships, if fact several nice ships over the years... I also loved the Krenim Sci Ship another year. Still I have no idea what ship might await us on the 10th Anniversary so I thought I'd ask and see what others thought they might like to see...

Still I'm curious to know what ships everyone else might like to see?

0zxlclk.png
Post edited by strathkin on

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Good god I hate that ship. The mission where you are forced to use it is painful...and all my toons use the 3 piece set which means I have had to run that mission WAY too many times. If not for the mission that "shows off" that ship, I probably would have gotten the Romulan bundle as I thought it looked cool. Now...never. If they make a T6 bundle...yeah still no. That mission ruined that ship line for me forever.

I actually kinda like the dyson science destroyers, not enough to use them as a main though. Increasing the difficulty on that mission was stupid on cryptics part, whoever decided that was a good idea deserves to play that mission 3 times a day, every day for the rest of their life.

Yea I see the original post by coldnapalm and to be very fair, I have to sort of agree with where he is coming from. The mission they did when they forced you to fly the Solanae Ship, did go quite a bit overboard in the enemy you were asked to defeat...

I think the biggest issue wasn't the ship itself so much, just the enemy in mission were quite powerful near the end. The problem was they didn't allow you to customize the ship to your own build, was that was really the biggest challenge!

--

Still like you captiannemo117 I too still like or really am found of the Dyson Ship line, and always loved the unique skins, that several of the ships had. Dyson is certainly one ship I'd love to see with an updated T6 lineup, I think they'd make a great lineup to Temporal or Miracle Worker class of ships.

I used Dyson as an opener and didn't want to focus on it; I really want to know what ships is everyone hopes we might see this Anniversary?
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    just replayed that mission not long ago with my new discovery toon and it was painful really hated the set up of that ship. If it was my t6 disco connie I could've easily defeat the undine with no problem lol ^^
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I'd rather they created something new and original for next anniversary since the 10th is a special time, I think they should reserve T6 Dyson ships for the 11th anniversary.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,240 Community Moderator
    *ships
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    What I'd like to see is a ship that canonically has been worked upon by all the factions - Fed, KDF, Dominion and Romulans incorporating the best parts of each ship design philosophy in function (ie versatility of seats/firepower for KDF, singularity and rbc for Roms, Science for Fed and vanguard like options from the dominion) and aesthetics (maybe four versions of the same ship with differing aesthetics you can kitbash; the 'hero' ship for the event story being a mix of all four)
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    While people hated the dyson ships they hated them becuase they sucked. make a T6 dyson which does NOT suck or rely on a crappy gimmick and I'm sure people will want it. ESPECIALLY if its science cuz contrary to what cryptic keeps telling us Science ships DO sell, and they sell well. Good ones do anyway.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    ways I'd fix the dyson if it ever gets t6'd

1. reduce the transformation cd to, say, 10s
    2. make it possible for the ship to be in either mode from the start (or failing that, on map transition the transformation cd is set to 0) OR have a neutral mode that the ship engages when map transitioning and give the transformation not a toggle but selectability
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    Still I'm curious to know what ships everyone else might like to see?
    For me a 3 front, 5 rear weapon slot Assault Cruiser with Command Seating and either able to fit the Vorgon Weapon console set or better yet a new console for the Assault Cruiser set that gives +x flight speed to mines and targetable torpedoes.

Not that I expect anything remotely like above to come out. But more 5 rear weapon slot ships with Command seats would be amazing.

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Good god I hate that ship. The mission where you are forced to use it is painful...and all my toons use the 3 piece set which means I have had to run that mission WAY too many times. If not for the mission that "shows off" that ship, I probably would have gotten the Romulan bundle as I thought it looked cool. Now...never. If they make a T6 bundle...yeah still no. That mission ruined that ship line for me forever.

It's not as bad these days, if you do it at 65. The enemy ships are locked at 50 so however scaling works definitely makes it easier. The original mission had to be done at 50 since it was pre DR.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

It's not as bad these days, if you do it at 65. The enemy ships are locked at 50 so however scaling works definitely makes it easier. The original mission had to be done at 50 since it was pre DR.
    Easier has nothing to do with it. A hard mission would've been good. The mission was bad because of the hassle of setting up the ship, ability trays, keybinds, etc every time for a ship you play for 10 minutes. And possibly fixing your own ship's stuff afterwards because they got effed up by the override.

Same as all the "ship ad" -missions.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I would certainly love a new Dyson Destroyer. A proper Tier 6 upgrade could fix all the issues it had, and the Romulan ones were kick-TRIBBLE looking. (That are the ones that I got first, and used on my first Romulan character.)
    But I am not sure that is the direction they are going for the 10 year Anniversary Event. But I have no real grasp of what they are planning.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Not sure what would be the most thematically appropriate. Seeing as we've already had a Vulcan Event ship, maybe the Suurok class, or the future battle-carrier that showed up in schematic form during Enterprise.

Personally though, I think the only thing I really 'want' right now would be an account-bound Promotion! ship voucher. That would probably be more along the lines of a special anniversary thank you gift instead of an event ship though.

Otherwise, I'd love to see a return of Solanae Tech - ideally if it came with AP Quad Cannons. I recently did Sphere of Influence on a new alt and I hadn't realized just how sexy the Obelisk looks with the new lighting engine.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    A T6 remodel of one of the Star Cruisers, since those ships were some of the earliest examples of home-baked designs in the game, and have been there from the start.
    y0gjhES.jpg
    (not my pic)

Oh yeah, they were pretty cool, too. The Star Cruiser used to be my favorite Cruiser when Tier 5 was all we had. It was also a pretty good healer for PvP.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    The main issue with the Dyson was that it had a Cryptic build on it. Another was that it tried to be a tactical and a science at the same time, hence the transformation mechanic. Such a concept was not visited again until the Mirror Crossfield years later, and so far I have not heard anything negative about her other than the fact she's a promo.

It was a decent science ship when you put a good build on it. Same if you wanted it as a tac ship. But as a hybrid it was kind of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" scenario. And it was hard to fully synergize the damage types with the fused Proton cannons. Really the only way to fully take advantage of her back then was probably with the Protonic Polaron weapons from Dyson Rep. And even then it was kinda iffy. Today though it can still hold its own with the right build on it, specializing in either Science or Tac. And frankly the KDF and Romulans got the better end of the deal in terms of design. They look great, especially when you put the faction materials on. The Fed one... looks like a Solanae attempt at reverse engineering an Intrepid. And it didn't go so well.

As for anniversary ships... I wouldn't mind seeing a T6 Luna at some point. However with the trend being non faction ships... Not really sure.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    What I'd like to see is a ship that canonically has been worked upon by all the factions - Fed, KDF, Dominion and Romulans incorporating the best parts of each ship design philosophy in function (ie versatility of seats/firepower for KDF, singularity and rbc for Roms, Science for Fed and vanguard like options from the dominion) and aesthetics (maybe four versions of the same ship with differing aesthetics you can kitbash; the 'hero' ship for the event story being a mix of all four)

I love this idea, except for one word; singularity. I hate singularity cores. Personally, I like to play cruisers, so that's what I'd like to see. A cruiser (with a warp core) that looks Fed/Rom/KDF/Dominion could be really cool. Or, a version of that Ferengi Nagus ship that no one gets to own or even buy. It wouldn't have to be painted gold. The truth is, the devs have probably already chosen and designed the ship. But, that's my 2 EC on the topic.
    Actually, I just thought of another idea, just as I was about to hit the "post comment" button. How about a Ferengi Flight Deck Carrier? It would have to have the Ferengi bridge, but, that's what I'd want. My favorite kind of cruiser is the flight deck carrier.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

Yeah, that was a fine example of Cryptic product placement, if I ever saw one.

I will still take a T6 version of it, thank you; but with upgradeable built-in cannon.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Didn't BMR make it clear that there will be 10th Anniversary ShipS (as in more than one). Don't limit yourselves to one choice.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    A T6 remodel of one of the Star Cruisers, since those ships were some of the earliest examples of home-baked designs in the game, and have been there from the start.
    y0gjhES.jpg
    (not my pic)

Oh yeah, they were pretty cool, too. The Star Cruiser used to be my favorite Cruiser when Tier 5 was all we had. It was also a pretty good healer for PvP.

same thing for me, i liked very much this ship, it has an unique design.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    Didn't BMR make it clear that there will be 10th Anniversary ShipS (as in more than one). Don't limit yourselves to one choice.
    The devs themselves have stated there will be like 10 ships.

I wonder if it gonna be all the hero ships from the rd promo ships like t6 connie t6 discovery along with lobi and lockbox ships t6 nx01 t6 Kelvin connie and so on
    Post edited by jim625 on
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    The devs themselves have stated there will be like 10 ships.

Only 10? I mean, I could see that being an Event Ship and a 9-pack, but that would mean leaving the Jem Hadar or Romulans out in the dark. That is what we have typically gotten during anniversaries in the past(Flagships, Dyson Science Destroyers, Multi-Mission Science Vessels, Command Battlecruisers, Allied Pilot Ships, etc.).

Regardless, I am curious to see what they come up with.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    a t6 Excalibur would be nice.

maybe some of the concept art of ships they were thinking of making, from way back when, finally made, yes? :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • vampirerx#7985 vampirerx Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Just give us a Borg cube, or queen diamond ship lol
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Easier has nothing to do with it. A hard mission would've been good. The mission was bad because of the hassle of setting up the ship, ability trays, keybinds, etc every time for a ship you play for 10 minutes. And possibly fixing your own ship's stuff afterwards because they got effed up by the override.

Same as all the "ship ad" -missions.

Well I never bothered with fixing hotbars because you don't sit in these ships for long. Most of these missions don't hurt you for doing that because they give you some slightly OP powers to make up for that fact that you didn't build the ship and had to deal with messy bars.

The issue with the original run of step between stars, though, was the fact that it threw a lot of big ships at you with a mediocre build and not so OP powers to deal with them. I remember it being an utter slog. Instead of 10 minutes in that ship it was 20, and the other missions with the Ambassador and the Obelisk are more like 5. Doing it at 65 these days makes a difference in making it a lot easier and less of a slog.

That said, yeah messing up hotbars is obnoxious. It is annoying doing it every single time for a new ship, especially if you are just flying with it for a trait. It is baffling that they can't keep captain abilities as a constant between ships. There should be no reason to have to lay out captain powers every single time.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    TYPHOON!!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    BMR was stating multiple to make clear that was what was said by Cryptic.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.