test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It appears that a couple of actors for Star Trek have died this week.

ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
René Auberjonois has breathed his last today at age 79. I knew him best as Father Mulcahy from the movie M*A*S*H*, but others knew him from DS9, from Benson, or other media.

Robert Walker, Jr. died on the 6th of December. That means a couple more names to add to the list.

Here's my suggestion if Cryptic just *has* to put Odo somewhere in game as a permanent fixture. Stick him in the Gamma Quadrant. On a honeymoon with Kira, or working to make the Great Link/New Link better. Don't stick him in the security facility on DS9. Yes, I know that he was there for a lot of the show. However, he moved on from that. The game timeline has moved on from that(one would think). Have him as a subtle, out of the way Easter Egg(like the U.S.S. Sally Ride or whatever it's called. The sci admiralty card you can get). Not an in your face advertisement Nog style(who really shouldn't even be taking up space at the bar, mad-dogging people. He should've been at his spot where he spent time with Jake Sisko, on the 2nd floor). Especially on a crowded facility. Keep it subtle if he has to be deployed in game.

The Fast and the Furious franchise had a nice sendoff when Paul Walker passed away. The character may not have died, but instead went off into the sunset in his car. Maybe Cryptic can do something respectful like that.

Comments

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    First, D.C. Fontana then Odo and now this actor you just mentioned who was Charlie X in TOS. RIP.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Such a shame, and so close to christmas as well, may they all rest in peace..
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Put Odo on DS9 someplace maybe on the second floor looking at the wormhole
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    Put Odo on DS9 someplace maybe on the second floor looking at the wormhole
    Or maybe the Dominion Embassy?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    René Auberjonois has breathed his last today at age 79. I knew him best as Father Mulcahy from the movie M*A*S*H*, but others knew him from DS9, from Benson, or other media.

I had no idea René Auberjonois was in M*A*S*H.

Robert Walker, Jr. died on the 6th of December. That means a couple more names to add to the list.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    First, D.C. Fontana then Odo and now this actor you just mentioned who was Charlie X in TOS. RIP.

I heard about D. C. Fontana a few days ago, but I had to look up Robert Walker, Jr., and Charlie X. The Memory Alpha page jogged my memory of that episode.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Charlie_X_(episode)

Interestingly, it was written by D. C. Fontana. This is indeed a sad week for the friends and family of Star Trek actors and writers.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • noven2000noven2000 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    The memorial plaque needs to be updated to honor these legends. They contributed so much to the Star Trek franchise. RIP
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    René Auberjonois certainly deserves more than just another name on the plaque. D.C. Fontana might deserve more than just another name on the plaque as well since she wrote about 13% of the episodes in TOS, "Charlie X", "Tomorrow is Yesterday", "This Side of Paradise", "Friday's Child", "Journey to Babel", "By Any Other Name", "The Ultimate Computer", "The Enterprise Incident", "That Which Survives", and "The Way to Eden."
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Here's my suggestion if Cryptic just *has* to put Odo somewhere in game as a permanent fixture.

There is already a static Odo form that stands in the outer part of the security office on DS9. At least, on my Jem'Hadar characters. I did not check to see if any of the other faction characters can see him.

Knowing Cryptic... they may just make the contact person for Jem'Hadar faction visible to all factions. Which may be the extent of what they are able to pull off these days. Hopefully, they can do it without TRIBBLE up the faction interactions.
    Stick him in the Gamma Quadrant. On a honeymoon with Kira, or working to make the Great Link/New Link better. Don't stick him in the security facility on DS9. Yes, I know that he was there for a lot of the show. However, he moved on from that. The game timeline has moved on from that(one would think). Have him as a subtle, out of the way Easter Egg(like the U.S.S. Sally Ride or whatever it's called. The sci admiralty card you can get). Not an in your face advertisement Nog style(who really shouldn't even be taking up space at the bar, mad-dogging people. He should've been at his spot where he spent time with Jake Sisko, on the 2nd floor). Especially on a crowded facility. Keep it subtle if he has to be deployed in game.

That would be a great bones for a story. Maybe channel your energy into developing it further and sharing it as a forum post? Or maybe someone more creative can write something? I will read it.
    The Fast and the Furious franchise had a nice sendoff when Paul Walker passed away. The character may not have died, but instead went off into the sunset in his car. Maybe Cryptic can do something respectful like that.

Yeah... I haven't seen the Devs have much devotion to creativity like this in the years I been around this game...or even have the time to be creative. The best they have done was statues of Spock and that memorial plaque. Which is just fine.

The Star Trek franchise is decades old. And there are a lot of actors and writers involved in bringing it to life.

All the episodes and stories in the game itself is the tribute to them all.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Not a death, but Shatner is getting divorced again .
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Here's my suggestion if Cryptic just *has* to put Odo somewhere in game as a permanent fixture.

There is already a static Odo form that stands in the outer part of the security office on DS9. At least, on my Jem'Hadar characters. I did not check to see if any of the other faction characters can see him.

Knowing Cryptic... they may just make the contact person for Jem'Hadar faction visible to all factions. Which may be the extent of what they are able to pull off these days. Hopefully, they can do it without TRIBBLE up the faction interactions.
    Stick him in the Gamma Quadrant. On a honeymoon with Kira, or working to make the Great Link/New Link better. Don't stick him in the security facility on DS9. Yes, I know that he was there for a lot of the show. However, he moved on from that. The game timeline has moved on from that(one would think). Have him as a subtle, out of the way Easter Egg(like the U.S.S. Sally Ride or whatever it's called. The sci admiralty card you can get). Not an in your face advertisement Nog style(who really shouldn't even be taking up space at the bar, mad-dogging people. He should've been at his spot where he spent time with Jake Sisko, on the 2nd floor). Especially on a crowded facility. Keep it subtle if he has to be deployed in game.

That would be a great bones for a story. Maybe channel your energy into developing it further and sharing it as a forum post? Or maybe someone more creative can write something? I will read it.

Yeah... I haven't seen the Devs have much devotion to creativity like this in the years I been around this game...or even have the time to be creative. The best they have done was statues of Spock and that memorial plaque. Which is just fine.

The Star Trek franchise is decades old. And there are a lot of actors and writers involved in bringing it to life.

All the episodes and stories in the game itself is the tribute to them all.

To the bolded text: The static Odo that you're thinking of is because you started the ViL arc, but haven't completed it yet. Once you complete it, he goes away. Same with the crouching Nog at the ship selection/purchase/customization area. Once you get to a certain point, that Nog goes away. Sadly, there's no existing can of Nog-B-Gone to get rid of the Nog infestation at Quark's Bar.

To the italicized text: I find myself liking STO less and less nowadays. Too much noblebright skub for me with the stories. I didn't like the conclusion of the ViL arc(the only episode I really liked from that, was the one where you have to deal with a shadowy assassin bug that's sneaking around the area. I hated the Quark Ocean's Eleven imitation episode). Cryptic wouldn't like what I could come up with, and it would be hit with the censorship/banhammer/delete really, really fast.

To the bolded, italicized part: And that's all that's really necessary. Sometimes less is more.

Yes, the Star Trek franchise is decades old, with writers and actors and technical people involved in sustaining it.
    Some of the episodes and stories in game that I've come across makes me wonder about the "tribute" part though.