test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you miss from the early days of STO?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    I miss decent PvP and all those who left when it died.
    You mean you miss the people that killed PvP?
    Are all those Devs gone now?
    Gozer was the main PvP guy. We later got comp rep, but that's not proper PvP.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • delaromadelaroma Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I miss playing this game in general. I haven't played in a while, my Fleet and close friends all left the game, I tired to join a another fleet but the "magic" just wasn't there. Then my PC died, no $$$ to replace - I tried on my laptop, yeah .. not really a good experience, I tried the PS4 version, even worse.

I was around at my brothers house last weekend and I logged in to my account on my nephews PC, I was greeted with a new title page - Arrival - but there was my ship - my D4X in all its beautiful glory. managed to play couple of missions, a lot has changed (except the grind LOL - but I never minded that). the cost of DIL is still high, haha, somethings never change, and I see Discovery is the new "flavour" ... god I miss this game.

ESO on the PS4 is a weak comparison to the fun I use to have in STO.

Enjoy what you have guys. tomorrow is could all be gone.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, your solution would have been to plan for the game to end?

The real point I was trying to make is that ever since Cryptic started introducing and resolving game-spanning scenarios all within the span of a season, the game has lost the sense of mystery that it started with. The Iconian machination was a really good idea. It could have spanned the entirety of the game. But Cryptic in their infinite wisdom decided to wrap them up in a nice neat package. I am not saying that every single story arc needed to involve them, but they should have remained this nebulous, faceless force that we all know is out there, and at any time could mess with our interests, always acting through their puppets.

I think they've done it in favour of flash -in-the-pan seasons. When the JJ-Verse things were out, they flooded up with related content. Discovery next, because that was what was on the telly. It didn't matter that it didn't mesh with their previous formula and instead was just trying to piggyback the current film/series. I've got personal dislike for Discovery, but I'm looking forward to Picard...I just hope the show provides us with a thread or that Cyptic give us something akin to the Iconians that can be continued, because the original mystery of the episodes was great.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I wont defend the stupid "Challenge" line since if I want challenge theres plenty of other MMOs alone which do challenge far better. However I do miss the times before the borg were just something to be stomped with TR116 rifles. Before that became avaliable to more than a couple people, we actually used remodulators and the borg would even occasionally assimilate players which is almost never seen now.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • bindingchainsbindingchains Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    kelador wrote: »
    Exploration clusters, the old skill system, more stable servers and builds being more diverse/varied power creep has made this game all about DPS and thats not trek and not fun I really wish they stuck with the trinity system and balanced the game around that instead of around DPS as that would of opened up the activities to more mechanics but due to DPS being the focus everything they make has to be balanced around that instead of team work (this is also the reason pvp will always be a waste of time in STO)

Amem
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    I say no to the trinity system. Otherwise there was good and bad about the previous system.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I say no to the trinity system. Otherwise there was good and bad about the previous system.

Trinity system isn't star trek at all. Especially since Science officers are NOT medical officers and making engineer the healer would be just as stupid since an engineer is a doctor for ONLY machines.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    sthe91 wrote: »

Trinity system isn't star trek at all. Especially since Science officers are NOT medical officers and making engineer the healer would be just as stupid since an engineer is a doctor for ONLY machines.

Well arguably they could have a trinity system if every division could tank/heal/dps in different ways. In other words, tac officers could set themselves up as healers using some set of powers, or tanks using a different set. I'd say we generally have that now, though. Tacs are still awful healers, but were even worse when the game was young. Now they have at least a few options.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    As others already said...longer winter events and Real WINTER/SUMMER EVENTS. Not the copy/paste job we get lately year after year.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I have no problem with the length of the winter event also define real winter/summer events? Having the same stuff to do with a different ship and the same rewards does not make it fake or less real.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    As others already said...longer winter events and Real WINTER/SUMMER EVENTS. Not the copy/paste job we get lately year after year.​​

As the Winter rewards are always ships, I just wish there was a winter space event...for the Summer too.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Looking out over the general landscape and not seeing so many dead bodies.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I miss some forum posters from my early days when I began tp play this game. I started playing STO when it went free-to-play. They seem to me as veterans because they had played the game from Beta in most cases. There was Tyler Durden, who was heavy into PvP as I recall, Angrytarg, an Orion girl, who made good youtube video's, he/she had a channel, Iconians, a vulcan girl with short hair (well, most female vulcans have short hair, I remember their avatars crystal clear, but can't remember their forum names in most cases. There was this avatar with an asian looking face. The guy was always angry and left the game with a loud post. Always funny, forum drama.
    Angrytarg is still with us I thought

• ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @fovrel said:
    > > I miss some forum posters from my early days when I began tp play this game. I started playing STO when it went free-to-play. They seem to me as veterans because they had played the game from Beta in most cases. There was Tyler Durden, who was heavy into PvP as I recall, Angrytarg, an Orion girl, who made good youtube video's, he/she had a channel, Iconians, a vulcan girl with short hair (well, most female vulcans have short hair, I remember their avatars crystal clear, but can't remember their forum names in most cases. There was this avatar with an asian looking face. The guy was always angry and left the game with a loud post. Always funny, forum drama.
    >
    > Angrytarg and Iconians are still here> @azrael605 said:
    > > @fovrel said:
    > > I miss some forum posters from my early days when I began tp play this game. I started playing STO when it went free-to-play. They seem to me as veterans because they had played the game from Beta in most cases. There was Tyler Durden, who was heavy into PvP as I recall, Angrytarg, an Orion girl, who made good youtube video's, he/she had a channel, Iconians, a vulcan girl with short hair (well, most female vulcans have short hair, I remember their avatars crystal clear, but can't remember their forum names in most cases. There was this avatar with an asian looking face. The guy was always angry and left the game with a loud post. Always funny, forum drama.
    >
    > Angrytarg and Iconians are still here.

Angrytarg and the Iconians so needs to be a Star Trek rock band...
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Stable servers is a bit of a laugh to me, i remember sto servers being horribly unstable at the start. Fleetmates are all i miss for the start and no lockboxes.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Before the game even launched, the Ten Forward section of the forum was a very different place. I was told a few times by various different people, that staying away from that sub-forum was a good idea because it was full of unusual Star Trek fans and RP threads. That was enough for me to check it out and those have been some of the most amazing people I have met, some in person, through Star Trek Online. The vast majority of them haven't played since the Atari days, but thankfully most of them are on my Steam and Discord friend lists.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Ships with bridges. :) The new fidget spinner should have gotten one (a very cute, cosy one, for a single pilot, like the Aeon timeship). Alas, it didn't. Very sad.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Vulcan female was probably Protogoth. She knew her Novels and FASA and was always interesting for her take from soft canon. But, alas, disappeared in the 'Make All Orions Green' melodrama. There were Orthodontists aplenty, a car accident, and many who just carried on at the end. I remember it well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Yeah there's been several people over the years who got permabanned for going off the deep end when certain topics came up. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • agentwormagentworm Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    A dark nighttime on Risa.
    Making all orions green wouldn't be too bad as long as you get to choose the shade of green.. If you want to play a "human" in KDF so bad you could simply use aliengen

azrael605 wrote: »
    > @gradii said:
    > Making all orions green wouldn't be too bad as long as you get to choose the shade of green.. If you want to play a "human" in KDF so bad you could simply use aliengen

There are white orions in the novels, that is what those people were doing, not playing human.
    TAS had an interesting variety of skin colors for Orions too. Devna was a light chartreuse, and the pirate captain was nearly blue.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    > @gradii said:
    > Making all orions green wouldn't be too bad as long as you get to choose the shade of green.. If you want to play a "human" in KDF so bad you could simply use aliengen

There are white orions in the novels, that is what those people were doing, not playing human.
    TAS had an interesting variety of skin colors for Orions too. Devna was a light chartreuse, and the pirate captain was nearly blue.

I think peoples main issue is the huge number of orions with a human skin tone.. did we see any of those in TAS?

gradii wrote: »
    > @gradii said:

I think peoples main issue is the huge number of orions with a human skin tone.. did we see any of those in TAS?
    How many Orions did we see in TAS? not many. The important part is that it's canon that not all Orions are green.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hiangtsutsing#7554 hiangtsutsing Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Fun ...

Well i have no idea why they removed the Old Missions but there i had at least fun the story and map was somethin different not wait the timer move forward press x - y buttons hit space wait for the timer look left look right ask if all had their launch proceed to next wave wait timer template xy Random map. Oh and the foundry so many creative missions.

The last good Mission i can think of was Quark lucky number 7 it feelt like an Episode.
This discussion has been closed.