test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[BUILD] Kelvin Timeline Heavy Command Cruiser T6

winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
Greetings, Admirals!

Welcome to Winters Budget Builds Series.

This series is intended to be a guide on how to effectively, efficiently and more importantly, build Starships on a “budget”. This is not intended to be a “min max” series by any means. The builds you will see here will show you how to create an effective build on a budget. Each video will cover all aspects of the build, Weapons, Equipment, Consoles, Skill Tree, Traits, Boff Abilities, Doffs, Specializations, etc. For each video I will also have the build replicated on STO Academy so that players can view the builds in detail and review them when needed.

Near the end of each video I will also demonstrate the builds in a Patrol so that viewers can see the build in action. I have chosen this over “Infected: The Conduit - Advanced” as the outcome of that TFO can be affected by the team that you are with. Whereas playing a patrol, you can see how the build performs in a single player environment. Every player, new and veteran, will find this series a valuable source of information. You may even learn something new!

If you have any requests for a particular ship that you would like to see, please leave a comment stating the request and “if” I have the ship, I will endeavor to do a video for that ship.

Kelvin Timeline Heavy Command Cruiser T6

Link to Build: CLICK HERE

Subscribe to channel: Winters Gaming
Twitter: @P1Winters83
Twitch Channel: Winters1983
Armada Website: www.priorityonearmada.com​​
Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I like it.. 'off meta' isn't always a bad thing. I respect the way you do things your own way, it might not be what I would do (we build very differently) but in the end all that matters is that the ship is fun to fly and effective.

Seems you have both of those nailed, so kudos on the build.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    At least you didn't gold everything...but seriously a lockbox ship for a budget build now?!? REALLY? You really need to call your builds what they are...and budget ain't it. Otherwise interesting takes on builds. Not sure I would go the same route myself. Two piece on the iconian set instead of 3? And using the uni to sort of mirror your tact powers instead of doing an A2B build? I mean yeah it works just fine I suppose.

Hey @coldnapalm,

Thank you for trekking out my build. I really appreciate your support! :smile: There are some things however that maybe I should try to make a little bit more clear. It's about a Budget "Build" going on the Ship, not the other way around. The build goes on the ship, not the ship on the build. I have called the series "Winters Budget Builds" not "Winters Budget Ships". It is totally possible (and I've seen it happen) where a player can get a ship with just one key. Or perhaps they won a ship from a giveaway or competition, but, that's neither here nor there.

My goal is to do a Budget Build on every ship in STO (if possible). I'm sure there are plenty of players out there who can get their hands on a ship (any ship), but don't have huge amounts of money or resources to pump into the build. This is where I hope that my series will come in handy for them. They will see an effective build that isn't going to bust the bank and they can see it in action as well as "maybe" learn something at the same time, at least for the more inexperienced players.

For the more experienced players, maybe the series will show some alternative ways to build a ship. Perhaps I end up using an ability or group of abilities that they haven't considered before on a "particular ship". Or maybe something as simple as a Doff that they haven't considered for a particular build type. I don't make any claims that my way is the only way! That is not what the series is about at all.

As for Epic quality gear, I'm guessing that you're referring to my first and I think my second video. As I tried to explain in the second video, having Epic gear is irrelevant, at least in my opinion. Having Epic gear is only "fine tuning" the build. It is not game changing at all by any stretch of the imagination! It's just squeezing the last little bit of damage or survivability out of the build or slightly better numbers for whatever.

Anyway, I hope that I have done a better job explaining what this series is intended to be and I want you to know that I welcome any constructive feedback, good or bad, and/or any constructive criticism about the series. I am more than happy to explain anything if there is something someone doesn't understand. Again, thank you for your support! I really do appreciate it! :smile:

-Winters
  • winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Although I wonder why the same thread is posted in 2 different subforums, I figured I'd toss in my build for this ship, just to see how inefficient and sub-par I am.

Hey @azrael605,

I would totally agree with @seaofsorrows, if the build is fun to fly and it works then that is the main thing. What you or I do may not be what someone else might do, and for a variety of reasons. Some players can pump loads of money into the game, have loads of Lobi for example and put some great consoles on their ship. Others are working from very limited means and don't necessarily have access to things like the Lobi Store. So each to their own as they say. :smile:#

As for the reason for the two posts. It's pretty simple really, the posts are relevant to two sections of the forums and each section has their own following with a little crossover between the two. That's pretty much it really. Anyway, thanks for trekking out my video! I really do appreciate your support! :smile:

-Winters
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Keep it up @winters83 you're doing a great job.

Again, just because it's not what I personally would do, doesn't make it wrong. Your builds are a good and effective alternative to the meta and there is always room for other opinions.

Once again, I enjoyed your video. Nicely done.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I agree. The videos are always interesting, albeit often how i would NOT go about a build.

In this case i feel you're really going overboard with the power backup.
    2-piece Borg, 2-piece phaser, Red matter capacitor AND Plasmonic Leech.

Dropping the leech + one rear phaser beam array in favor of the two piece trilithium should provide a significant boost to the overall performance.

The Emergency artillery is also somewhat puzzling. The damage is kinetic and usually halved. If i had to use a command specialization power i would most likely go for Ambush marker, Overwhelm Shields or Phalanx Formation.

That said i feel your play style is damage based while mine in a cruiser tends to be supportive of the team.
    I would pull enemies in using reverse tractor beam or https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Universal_-_Chains_of_Fire
    Add a Phalanx Formation and https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Emit_Unstable_Warp_Bubble and you can go wild.

Keep on making the videos.

Diversity in builds keeps the community alive. When people try new things the new metas get discovered and those of us who like to build "off meta" have something to grumble about before we resume our quest for the next off meta build.

Edit: Just noticed you haven't used the temporal specialization at all.

Why not move the Science boff to the universal (possibly with a photonic officer in there for cool down reduction) and use the Temporal slots for shared fate (entropy builder) and Rapid Decay (resistance debuff).
    Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Overall, I've found these builds interesting, but not remotely "budget." They are more expensive than most of my own builds by a good margin, even ignoring fleet stuff and gold items. I also think you should actually set a budget for consistency sake, say 10m based on current exchange prices, 100k fleet credit, and 300k dilithum, for example.

I think it would make more sense to consider just who these videos are directed at. I think its fine to explore different builds that are outside the box, but a lockbox ship isn't a ship on a budget for the vast majority.

As for gold items, at least when I play with the skill planner I use VR mk 12 as default. Does it matter? Well, from a budget perspective, imagine you have 1 or 2 supreme upgrade kits to fully gold an item, or enough dilithium to do the same. Which piece do you use it on? If you've got a disruptor ship, for example, using a bunch of standard disruptors and the Terran rep beam, the thing to gold first is obviously the rep beam, but that is an easy one to see, but golding everything in the skill planner doesn't show any priority or indication of what is the more important thing to upgrade.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    winters83 wrote: »
    Greetings, Admirals!

Welcome to Winters Budget Builds Series.

This series is intended to be a guide on how to effectively, efficiently and more importantly, build Starships on a “budget”. This is not intended to be a “min max” series by any means. The builds you will see here will show you how to create an effective build on a budget. Each video will cover all aspects of the build, Weapons, Equipment, Consoles, Skill Tree, Traits, Boff Abilities, Doffs, Specializations, etc. For each video I will also have the build replicated on STO Academy so that players can view the builds in detail and review them when needed.

Near the end of each video I will also demonstrate the builds in a Patrol so that viewers can see the build in action. I have chosen this over “Infected: The Conduit - Advanced” as the outcome of that TFO can be affected by the team that you are with. Whereas playing a patrol, you can see how the build performs in a single player environment. Every player, new and veteran, will find this series a valuable source of information. You may even learn something new!

If you have any requests for a particular ship that you would like to see, please leave a comment stating the request and “if” I have the ship, I will endeavor to do a video for that ship.

Kelvin Timeline Heavy Command Cruiser T6

Link to Build: CLICK HERE

Subscribe to channel: Winters Gaming
    Twitter: @P1Winters83
    Twitch Channel: Winters1983
    Armada Website: www.priorityonearmada.com​​

Wu1Ooju.jpg

Good show. Could ya do one with the Sommerville or t6 Miranda or Balth? :o
    Thanks. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    The reliant, nice ship but so far i have been struggling to find to sweet spot with builds for that one.
    @smokebailey
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    The reliant, nice ship but so far i have been struggling to find to sweet spot with builds for that one.
    @smokebailey

Mine worked well. I'll send you a screenshot of mine when I get a chance, and you can judge that one. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    questerius wrote: »
    @smokebailey

Mine worked well. I'll send you a screenshot of mine when I get a chance, and you can judge that one. :)

Thanks.