test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are there Cardassian Bridge Officers with the Superior Peak Health trait?

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
For several months, I browsed the exchange looking for some Cardassian Bridge Officers with the Superior Peak Health trait.
But since I never did find any, I eventually gave up trying.

Which got me wondering, why did I never find any?

Is it because they don't have that trait in their random generation pool?
Or because players are automatically deleting any Cardassian BOFF that doesn't have the desired traits which make that BOFF a good item to sell on exchange?

I've heard the opinion raised time and again that since STO is a space game primarily, that Peak Health is a worthless trait, which is what led me to suspect the second possibility is being applied, someone just deleting a BOFF because they believe the trait I am after isn't going to sell.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Answers

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well... which superior traits are you seeing? Normal purples only have two.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    Just from looking at the Purple Cardassian BOFFs on exchange right now, this is what I see.

Cardassian Soldier: Superior Covert, Soldier, Acute Senses or Stubborn
    Cardassian Engineer: Same as above.

These are the two I am wanting, but since they never come with the trait I desire, I got so frustrated/angry, I lost interest in checking.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    I took a quick look and didn't see ANY Cardassians with peak health. This was only page one, but 25 of the 65 Cardassians on exchange.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Trait: Peak Health/boff
    < Trait: Peak Health
    Trait: Peak Health/boff

Peak Health is a bridge officer ground trait.

Are you looking for the player character version of this trait?

Basic information

Game description: Ground Trait. Improves maximum health and toxic resistance.
    Species that can have the trait: Alien, Andorian, Bajoran, Betazoid, Bolian, Ferengi, Gorn, Human, Klingon, Nausicaan, Orion, Pakled, Rigelian, Saurian, Tellarite, Trill, Vulcan

No peak health for you! although that list is incomplete, because all Jem'hadar and elachi have that trait
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    OP, the below linked wiki page will show you the list of species that can have the trait "Peak Health" in any of the 3 variants of basic, standard and superior. Cardassians are not on the list unfortunately.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Peak_Health/boff
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    Dang it, I was hoping the list was incomplete and Cardassians just weren't that well documented.

But could that still be a possibility?
    Someone who actively seeks Cardassian BOFF recruiting assignments told me they're so rare by comparison to the other species, it could be limiting the sample size accordingly.

• shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I have noticed that you cannot get a BOFF assignment to come up to even get a spoon head
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I wouldn't put much weight on the species list on that wiki page. It's from 2011.
    I looked through all 68 cardassians on exchange currently.

They all had Photographic Memory and Mental Discipline. The random traits were a combination of Acute Senses, Covert, Creative, Soldier, Stubborn and Teamwork.

Given the sample size, that can't be considered a definitive list, but it does suggest their pool of available traits is limited.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Personally, I'm not entirely sure where to get Cardie boffs. I assume they are random doff recruitment around DS9, but given how messy sectors are, doffing for anything specific around there is rather frustrating.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I got one in Earth Orbit. That being said, that is the only Cardassian Recruitment Assignment I have ever gotten.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Well, my theory regarding exchange is that the players are artificially/unintentionally manipulating the market to reflect their desires of wanted traits.
    In the past I've actually seen them say ingame that they found something they regarded as useless and deleted it instantly without considering if someone else would value it.
    Plus, I've been berated a fair bit for actually putting value on Superior Peak Health, since many STO gamers believe ground combat should not be part of the game at all, so anything connected to that should never be a consideration in gameplay.

The player I asked about the Cardassian BOFF assignments mostly found them around DS9, but as the sector space border glitch is a hot mess of reassignments if you even move your ship slightly, locating a precise assignment is a pain in the neckscales.
    I know because I spent months chasing another specific assignment that could never be found unless I purposefully worked against the glitch.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have yet to figure out how Cardassian BoFF recruitment missions work.

I have sold a few of them, but every single time I have found the assignment in orbit around ESD. I have 10 characters and every single time one has popped up it's been for the same character. None of my other 9 have ever seen a Cardassian Recruit mission, so I have no earthly idea what it's based on.

The sample size is small, that's why the BoFF's cost an arm and a leg.. they're truly rare with any traits. If you want a specific trait.. I hate to say it but coupled with the rarity of the item.. the odds aren't good.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Personally, I'm not entirely sure where to get Cardie boffs. I assume they are random doff recruitment around DS9, but given how messy sectors are, doffing for anything specific around there is rather frustrating.
    Yeah, around DS9, and I've heard one of the sectors near the fleet starbase.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    tilarta wrote: »
    Dang it, I was hoping the list was incomplete and Cardassians just weren't that well documented.

But could that still be a possibility?
    Someone who actively seeks Cardassian BOFF recruiting assignments told me they're so rare by comparison to the other species, it could be limiting the sample size accordingly.

it could be possible due to the low sample size. However, as others have said, ground traits aren't really worth worrying about.
    warpangel wrote: »
    I wouldn't put much weight on the species list on that wiki page. It's from 2011.

The link that I posted was updated in 2019.

When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    considering the photographic memory trait that is cardie specific I doubt peak health would also be avaialble.. I may be wrong but the snip I posted earlier...
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor

Yes, but only the page formatting.

The content is from 2011.

Yes, but only the page formatting.

The content is from 2011.

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks.
    However, as others have said, ground traits aren't really worth worrying about.

I don't know what other players believe, but my personal opinion is that ground traits are required for gameplay, since it's the only time I feel genuinely challenged. And hence why all my Bridge Officers are geared up with that aspect of gameplay as their primary focus.

Nearly all the time when I play in space combat, I feel like it's too easy, even though I have a sub-optimal build that isn't using any damage maximising tricks.
    So I don't really care about space speccing that much, since it's not difficult.

I used to have trouble in certain ground areas too. Eventually, I had to go through and make a real effort to swap out my ground kit/modules, ground traits for my captain and my weapon and gear. In addition to my boffs weapons and gear and their ground powers. Boff ground traits are probably the thing that I'd least worry about TBH.
    There has, in the earlier history of the game, been some decently challenging ground content. None where bridge officers were allowed, though.
    I don't know if the bug still exists, but I noticed at some point, the BOFF powers were switching back to the default ones they were given on a regular basis, which caused me a lot of frustration because they were using useless abilities.
    Also, some kit modules do not exist in BOFF skill form, for example, I wanted to load my Breen BOFF up with a pure cryobuild just for thematic fun and then discovered I could not. :'(

Which is why I am hoping one day Cryptic introduces a BOFF kitframe, one with 4 module slots, to replace ground skill training.
    That way I'll be certain they can't randomly change their skills, because I doubt kitframe modules can unequip themselves and replace themselves with a default white kitmodule.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    no, they'll just unequip themselves and replace it with nothing, like randomly happens with player gear already​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I don't know if the bug still exists, but I noticed at some point, the BOFF powers were switching back to the default ones they were given on a regular basis, which caused me a lot of frustration because they were using useless abilities.
    Also, some kit modules do not exist in BOFF skill form, for example, I wanted to load my Breen BOFF up with a pure cryobuild just for thematic fun and then discovered I could not. :'(

Which is why I am hoping one day Cryptic introduces a BOFF kitframe, one with 4 module slots, to replace ground skill training.
    That way I'll be certain they can't randomly change their skills, because I doubt kitframe modules can unequip themselves and replace themselves with a default white kitmodule.
    That's a bit too much of a revamp, but it'd be nice if the devs made all of the captain only ground abilities available as boff manuals.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    That would indeed be nice. Though not in reference to some bug (never seen it) but simply because it would be a good use for all the spare kit frames/modules that are otherwise good for nothing.
    I've never seen my kitframe modules unequip themselves, but I have often seen the BOFF skills reset, hence why I am always wanting the ground trained skills to be discarded in favor of a BOFF specific kitframe.

Nothing worse then entering ground combat and wondering why your tactical boff is not throwing grenades or using another specified skill to inflict damage, instead they're just doing nothing at all......
    To choose one example of the bug I've seen.

I don't think they'd allow BOFFs to use existing kitframes, since this would give them five skills instead of the four they currently have.
    Which is why I'd expecting a four module kitframe for their exclusive use instead.

I don't think they'd allow BOFFs to use existing kitframes, since this would give them five skills instead of the four they currently have.
    Which is why I'd expecting a four module kitframe for their exclusive use instead.
    Kit frames have nothing to do with modules anymore. They're just equipped in adjacent slots.

Though I wouldn't mind having 5 abilities for boffs anyway. And two weapon slots while we're at it.
This discussion has been closed.