test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Q's Winter-wonderland has been SHORTENED!!

1235»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    - No rifts closed in P5? Have fun with your 10 temporal marks pity reward!
    - Forgot to transport troops in counterpoint. That’s too bad because every 10 troops grand one elite mark.
    - Not a single Hawking Particle collected in Gravity? That’s too bad because all your Dilithium Reward has been sucked into the black hole!
    Okaaay.. I can easily see why Cryptic ignores your ideas on restructuring rewards. 2 of those are already mandatory mission steps. In case you forgot, Battle of Procyon 5 doesn't end until you've closed all the portals. Same is true of Gravity Kills, either you collect the Hawking Particles or the mission never ends.
    I’d love the game to be structured in such a fashion as there would be motivation in it for everybody. And yea, maps where there is more to it that just “press spacebar” would suck considerably less... well at least for those who can. :D
    You went from talking about how much you hate P5 to praising it because you think I hate doing interacts? What DO you think defines a good mission?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Stop derail the damn thread. We already had this discussione and it got us nowhere.

Now, getting back on track:
    I just hope they leave 'The Fastest Game on Ice' as the qualifying event.

It's fast and easy.. I just leave one character parked in Winter Wonderland and I'm done in under 2min per day tops.
    Agreed. Or better yet, I hope they give different options to gain the daily points (meaning "you can choose between this, this and that other thing and each one gives you the FULL daily progress), so that everyone can play the event without getting a headache.
    I'd personally still choose the race, because it's fun and I've never had any problem with it, but I understand other people not wanting do it/not being happy with it.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    - No rifts closed in P5? Have fun with your 10 temporal marks pity reward!
    - Forgot to transport troops in counterpoint. That’s too bad because every 10 troops grand one elite mark.
    - Not a single Hawking Particle collected in Gravity? That’s too bad because all your Dilithium Reward has been sucked into the black hole!
    Okaaay.. I can easily see why Cryptic ignores your ideas on restructuring rewards. 2 of those are already mandatory mission steps. In case you forgot, Battle of Procyon 5 doesn't end until you've closed all the portals. Same is true of Gravity Kills, either you collect the Hawking Particles or the mission never ends.
    I’d love the game to be structured in such a fashion as there would be motivation in it for everybody. And yea, maps where there is more to it that just “press spacebar” would suck considerably less... well at least for those who can. :D
    You went from talking about how much you hate P5 to praising it because you think I hate doing interacts? What DO you think defines a good mission?

If you care to re-read you notice that I moved away from completing a map on a “teamed” basis to rewarding player performances towards map conclusion individualy.

Of course cryptic will never do that given the mentality of the average STO player. I man just look at the pain and suffering DPSer cause for others by just getting something taken for granted in a pew pew game straight. Now imagine what would happen if good players suddenly start to close rifts and transport troops faster and would get rewarded accordingly while the leechers go out empty. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Do you two just have to derail every thread with this same tired argument?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    valoreah wrote: »
    It does make sense. Cryptic has always been very generous with extra time for events, except the old weekend ones where you needed 3 days out of 4.

21 days for 14 day events, 44 days for 25-day winter event.

If they really are shortening the total days for the winter event, odds are good that they are shortening the number of required days for it too.

You still have plenty of time to complete it with several days to spare even with a shortened schedule.

Yeah, I can confirm your statement there. An image was posted about the Winter Wonderland ship on Reddit, and it looks like it actually is going to be following the Mycelial Crisis event where we played for 20 days and we got 10 days extra to farm Dilithium.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    edited November 2019
    For whatever reason, the Winter Event page in the Events tab is already up and visible.
    According to what's written there, the WE will run from December 3rd to January 2nd, it will require 1000 points to complete and there is a choice in which activity to run to get the daily progress - though it does not say how many points we will get for each day:
    - Fastest Game on Ice
    - The Fast and the Flurrious
    - Klingon Ice Fishing
    - Cones of Conduct
    - Tides on Ice
    - The Kramp'Ihri

Here are some screenshot of the whole thing, new ship specs included.
    https://imgur.com/GnnU4hf
    https://imgur.com/cRhVNok
    https://imgur.com/As7v35K​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    there is a choice in which activitie to run to get the daily progress - though it does not say how many points we will get for each day:
    - Fastest Game on Ice
    - Klingon Ice Fishing
    - Cones of Conduct
    - Tides on Ice
    - The Kramp'Ihri
    ​​
    Well it only took how many years? But they finally listened to people's requests to stop making that awful race the only means of getting the ship.

I never thought of the race on ice as awful, in fact it's probably my favourite event.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    there is a choice in which activitie to run to get the daily progress - though it does not say how many points we will get for each day:
    - Fastest Game on Ice
    - Klingon Ice Fishing
    - Cones of Conduct
    - Tides on Ice
    - The Kramp'Ihri
    ​​
    Well it only took how many years? But they finally listened to people's requests to stop making that awful race the only means of getting the ship.
    I never thought of the race on ice as awful, in fact it's probably my favourite event.
    It's certainly the quickest one. Unless you fail.. repeatedly.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    - Fastest Game on Ice
    - Klingon Ice Fishing
    - Cones of Conduct
    - Tides on Ice
    - The Kramp'Ihri

Agreed, and then off to the lake to make stupid jumps with the froozen booths on! :D​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    plus, the gingerbread were building a village in snorg territory, so THEY are the invaders, not the snorg​​

No. The first instance in this fight was within the Winter Invasion queue, and no reason was given for the snowmen (they aren't in any way Borg, that's the ones in Tide of Ice) to be attacking. No mention of it being "their territory" until the Cones of Conduct fight. For all the evidence that we have, the Winter Invasion attack was entirely unprovoked. It doesn't excuse the Gingerbread people building on land that the snowmen regard as "sacred" later on, but, if they're so destructive to the finished project, why didn't they attack during the construction? There are a lot of unanswered questions, and it fails as a parallel to the Kobali situation, because, unlike the Vaadwaur, the snowmen weren't indisposed during the colonization*.
    There was no "colonization." The Wonderland only exists during the event, and every year Q recreates it a bit different. So, the village is there because Q put it there. And the snowmen attack it because Q made them attack it.
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    We have interdimensional mushroom people and sentient mushroom spores. At this point I'd be willing to believe there's a weird dimension of snow and gingerbread people ;-)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    For whatever reason, the Winter Event page in the Events tab is already up and visible.
    According to what's written there, the WE will run from December 3rd to January 2nd, it will require 1000 points to complete and there is a choice in which activity to run to get the daily progress - though it does not say how many points we will get for each day:
    - Fastest Game on Ice
    - Klingon Ice Fishing
    - Cones of Conduct
    - Tides on Ice
    - The Kramp'Ihri

Here are some screenshot of the whole thing, new ship specs included.
    https://imgur.com/GnnU4hf
    https://imgur.com/cRhVNok
    https://imgur.com/As7v35K​​

Thanks!

So 20 days, 50 points a day with 11 spare days. Yep, they shortened both the required and total days, still giving us a decent buffer.

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Once I learned how to traverse the race course, the race is not a problem and is likely what I'll continue to use to get six accounts through it. Mine and some family who can't keep up with events for one reason or other and I have lots of time.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you know, i could've sworn cryptic said somewhere a few months ago that this year's winter event would NOT be using the new event system - i guess they changed their minds​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    you know, i could've sworn cryptic said somewhere a few months ago that this year's winter event would NOT be using the new event system - i guess they changed their minds​​

They might have decided to so they could offer the new sliding scale buy-out method for the people who want to take vacations away from the PC but still get the ship.

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I hope we don't have to do too many of the activities each day for the points. The race was quick & easy - and you didn't have to wait for it's slot in the schedule.

(hmm, though since multiple characters can contribute to the event progress, does that mean I could just run the race on a few of them? Ah, back to the days of running the race on multiple alts to get the ship. :* )
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I hope we don't have to do too many of the activities each day for the points. The race was quick & easy - and you didn't have to wait for it's slot in the schedule.

(hmm, though since multiple characters can contribute to the event progress, does that mean I could just run the race on a few of them? Ah, back to the days of running the race on multiple alts to get the ship. :* )
    If it's like the current event, race on whichever character you feel like using and call it good. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

Me too! I do just this on several characters on days that I can make time for the computer.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    plus, the gingerbread were building a village in snorg territory, so THEY are the invaders, not the snorg​​

No. The first instance in this fight was within the Winter Invasion queue, and no reason was given for the snowmen (they aren't in any way Borg, that's the ones in Tide of Ice) to be attacking. No mention of it being "their territory" until the Cones of Conduct fight. For all the evidence that we have, the Winter Invasion attack was entirely unprovoked. It doesn't excuse the Gingerbread people building on land that the snowmen regard as "sacred" later on, but, if they're so destructive to the finished project, why didn't they attack during the construction? There are a lot of unanswered questions, and it fails as a parallel to the Kobali situation, because, unlike the Vaadwaur, the snowmen weren't indisposed during the colonization*.

* Vaadwaur weren't actually indisposed during the colonization of Kobali, either. They had been revived and active long before the Kobali would have settled there, but were more interested in finding a means of vengeance against their enemies than in reviving the rest of their people, apparently, but that's an argument for a different thread.

Maybe the snowmen were gonna use the town once it was built......or maybe the construction was so fast, the snowmen did not notice till it was too late....perhaps they were in another part of the land whilst the town was being made? :/
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    If the snowmen didn't stand around in a stupor all the time maybe they wouldn't have been muscled out of their home. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Judging by the wording of the event description, only one activity should be needed to get the daily progress: "Participate in any of the listed Winter Event activities once per day, per Acccount, toward the Event Grand Prize".
    Of course, seeing as the page does not yet specifiy how many points per day we will need and how many points each of these activies awards, it might very well be that you need to do 2(+). Also, all of this can change before the WE actually goes live, so the safest bet is to just wait for the news post.
    Should be possible, yeah - see the wording I quoted before. Which works fairly well if we'll need to run more than one activity to get the points for all the people that prefer to stick with one activity only.

I'm still gonna wait for the final word, of course, but all in all I can get behind this.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    I have not, as of yet, made it to the library to patch so I can play again. Last several months, when not busy fixing computer problems, I barely had time to play the other 2 MMOs, and I was unable to patch STO at all, so STO wasn't even an option. God willing, I finally have the memory issues in hand; at least enough so I CAN patch later today.
    I will be starting the event late, IF I get t start it at all.
    I will be most disappointed w/STO/Cryptic if the event is indeed cut short. In addition to getting chars started on the rep for the New Ship, I have many alts that need to complete old rep projects.
    I also need to enlist a friends' aid in fixing my craputer's crappy keyboard.
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have not, as of yet, made it to the library to patch so I can play again. Last several months, when not busy fixing computer problems, I barely had time to play the other 2 MMOs, and I was unable to patch STO at all, so STO wasn't even an option. God willing, I finally have the memory issues in hand; at least enough so I CAN patch later today.
    I will be most disappointed w/STO/Cryptic if the event is indeed cut short. In addition to getting chars started on the rep for the New Ship, I have many alts that need to complete old rep projects.

With all do respect, none of the problems you listed are Cryptic's fault.

No matter when they end the event, there will always be those that say it wasn't enough time. I'm not trying to pile on you, I hope you're able to get everything sorted out so you can play, but you need to understand that if you cannot, it's in no way Cryptic's fault. The event is running for 30 days and requires 20 days participation to get the ship, that's a pretty generous window.

Good luck with everything, I hope you can get back in game soon.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    You can run the event on any character and get your progress with just one of the listed events. I'm only doing the race as I'm running on 6 different accounts for family to get them the ship too, so the race is the quickest.

You can choose a different character per 20 hours and it will still count towards your progress. So mix 'em up and let more than one have fun in there!
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Event rep is deprecated, so your alts with old event projects should have them auto-completed. Though some players have reported it didn't always work and I don't know the last word on if they got them all fixed.

Either way, it's not possible to progress them anymore. There is only the current event, and progress is account-wide not per-character.
This discussion has been closed.