test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When the you accidentally sell a Kelvin Divergence ship for 600k...

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
Earlier, I put a Kelvin Divergence Ship, (aka my first ever reward from a lock box and my most valuable possession) on the exchange for 600 million...or so I believed. I just logged in and found the message that it sold for 600k. Needless to say...I'm gutted and obviously the buyer never replied to my pleas. I know STO is just a game...but ooh that smarts and I swear it said 600 million when I put it up for sale. For my own sanity, I'm blaming the Exchange, aka Q's Market hiccupping.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Ouch! Sorry for your loss :(

I once deleted an email to myself with 5 VR Mk II gear items for a new character. They had Superior tech upgrades applied. This was before Phoenix packs, and before re-engineering so quite a bit of crafting time was spent getting the right mods. Lost in time, like tears in rain.

I also sold a lock box key for x,000 instead of ,000,000 but that's nothing compared to your christmas present to some lucky buyer.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I did that with keys once. way back when if you had more than one of a thing you could post them and there was a slider you culd choose howmany to sell.. I tossed 2 mil ec up there and damned if I didn't sell 10 keys...
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I now set protected status to ON for all items I mean to keep, so I don't accidentally delete something I care about while ctrl-click discarding all the reputation box gear and loot drops.

That doesn't keep me from sometimes accidentally destroying a reputation box instead of opening it and then discarding the contents. Or discarding an elite mark while clicking through everything else.

You just have to learn to live with the pain of your mistakes :) or ...

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show game,
    I should really just relax...
    ...For Mystery Science Theater 3000."
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I got lucky and learned this lesson on the cheap when I sold a 3 keys for about a million EC each. On the flip side, I've been lucky to buy several underpriced items over the years. Shockingly, no one ever contacted me asking for a buy back.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    That's quite a loss, and really, a shame whoever bought it didn't bother returning it you for the whole 600k ec after you requested it back, or at the very least say they've already bound it and can't.

Over time I've found a lot of accidentally low priced items, and you just gotta buy them or they'll vanish to someone else. Not one contacted me back to say if I can sell it back at the accidental price - at least nothing nowhere near massive like you experienced.

To make it feel a bit better, consider it your gift to that lucky someone who will now enjoy the ship a ton, and it is said giving is the way to receive, so there's that.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    You might be able to talk to customer support to try and get the sale undine. I don't know about STO but SWTOR customer service has a thing where you can ask them to undo a sale or accidental discard for any item, but theyll only do it 3 times in one year. (I think it's to prevent people from scamming them or something), but honestly my experiences with Cryptic Support are very mixed, so it's hard to say if they would do it and I've never encountered the issue myself. Worst I've ever done was sale 10 keys for the price of one. But I've also bought like 999 keys for the price of one key before but the guy who I got them from never tried to contact me to ask for them back.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    The only one responsible for this, is you. Not the exchange. And certainly not the buyer's fault, even if they refuse to give a "do-over." In the future, you'll double and triple check the number of zeroes you're piling on an item before hitting the "Post" button, while your head dances with thoughts of EC signs and sugar plums. It's better to take your time and verify.

I doubt that Cryptic will step in and deliver you either the ship or the money you're desiring for the ship. That would be rewarding poor decision making.
    edited December 2019
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    The only one responsible for this, is you. Not the exchange. And certainly not the buyer's fault, even if they refuse to give a "do-over." In the future, you'll double and triple check the number of zeroes you're piling on an item before hitting the "Post" button, while your head dances with thoughts of EC signs and sugar plums. It's better to take your time and verify.

I doubt that Cryptic will step in and deliver you either the ship or the money you're desiring for the ship. That would be rewarding poor decision making.

I don't see how its rewarding poor decision making. But hey, your entire post sounded like you were insulting his intelligence. That's like saying that companies shouldn't offer refunds because "you shouldn't get a do over"
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I've never done this. I always count zeroes before I pull the trigger.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    *keeps on eye out on exchange* >_>
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Not insulting intelligence, just pointing out poor attention to what they were posting. Nowadays the Exchange puts commas in as you put your zeros in, so it's easier to see where you're at in posting prices.

Can't say this has happened to me, though I rarely post things to the exchange and have only had one ship that I sold there, and that was years ago and the prices weren't nearly what they are these days.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I've bought lockbox ships that were missing a zero on the price a few times, but never THREE zeroes, that's one mighty expensive typo.

Someone won the jackpot there.
  • platinumdplatinumd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I did something similar in another game. I went to sell a ship I didn't want anymore and forgot I'd changed ships to it to show someone the stats. So when I posted the ship for sale it was the ship I wanted to use not the one I wanted to sale-they had very similar names so that if you weren't paying close attention you wouldn't notice the difference. Problem is the ship I wanted to sell was worth alot less than the one I wanted to use. So I sold the ship for 70m when it was actually worth more like 5-6b. Needless to say the person who bought it was not willing to return it either. In fact it eventually led to me leaving that game altogether. I spent years grinding out levels, money, materials, etc to get to the point I could afford a ship that expensive. I was no whale and yes it was my own fault. I just wasn't willing to start over. So I definitely feel your pain.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Hate to say it but player to player transactions via the Exchange would not be something Cryptic would even want to consider interfering with, even if the price was a mistake. Odds are the player who purchased it already opened the box, and having it taken away suddenly would probably not only cause all kinds of problems because of the gear put on it, but PR problems with said player probably raising hell on the forums about it. The firestorm would probably be seen from space.

Someone ended up getting a Christmas present out of this. While unfortunate that the OP only got a fraction of what the ship was ultimately worth, it is not Cryptic's responsibility or job to reverse transactions between players or compensate for lost ECs from a typo.

If they even were able to do it, it would set a dangerous precident of players demanding transactions be reversed in order to make more ECs if they feel the price of something has changed. Better to let this one go and just remember to double check your numbers before hitting the post button.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Sometimes it would be nice to have some more Quality of Life features for the Exchange.

For example, if you put an item in the Exchange , it could automatically start a search for the same item, and show you the results, and/or prefill the amount you're asking with the highest or lowest price it can find for the item. (That works not so great if you're trying to sell Epic items with mods, because sometimes there just isn't any match, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Just better.)

The Dilithium Exchange actually does something like that, but of course, the Dilithium Exchange is a lot simpler since there are only two things traded there.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    sorry for your loss, we got the commas between zeros with season 13. before that the situation was much worse. ...
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Hate to say it but player to player transactions via the Exchange would not be something Cryptic would even want to consider interfering with, even if the price was a mistake. Odds are the player who purchased it already opened the box, and having it taken away suddenly would probably not only cause all kinds of problems because of the gear put on it, but PR problems with said player probably raising hell on the forums about it. The firestorm would probably be seen from space.
    >
    > Someone ended up getting a Christmas present out of this. While unfortunate that the OP only got a fraction of what the ship was ultimately worth, it is not Cryptic's responsibility or job to reverse transactions between players or compensate for lost ECs from a typo.
    >
    > If they even were able to do it, it would set a dangerous precident of players demanding transactions be reversed in order to make more ECs if they feel the price of something has changed. Better to let this one go and just remember to double check your numbers before hitting the post button.

It's not a dangerous precedent. This is literally something they do in swtor and it causes literally no problems with the player base. Cryptic would just need to have a limit on how often they do it.

(Also I'm pretty sure in swtor you only have a few days to ask for the redo, there's no asking for a transaction to be undone, a few weeks later because of a price fluctuation, it's only meant to undo accidents)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    It happens to everyone at least once, and no it wasn't the Exchange's fault. I also once sold a ship for 1 percent of the intended price, realized it in seconds and wasn't fast enough to take the ship back down before it sold. Since then I quadruple check all my prices before posting the sale. You live, you learn.

Actually, it WAS the exchange's fault... or at least partially, back in the day. They have since added commas to the price you type in. So, now you will need to try real hard to make a mistake like that. My point being: it's a always the player's fault, but it helps when the exchange doesn't make it too easy for you to make mistakes.

3lsZz0w.jpg

This reminds me of that joke: "How to remember your wife's anniversary? ... Forget it once." :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    westx211 wrote: »
    You might be able to talk to customer support to try and get the sale undine.

No, the Undine would simply brush you off, and say "The weak will perish!"
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    For example, if you put an item in the Exchange , it could automatically start a search for the same item, and show you the results, and/or prefill the amount you're asking with the highest or lowest price it can find for the item. (That works not so great if you're trying to sell Epic items with mods, because sometimes there just isn't any match, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Just better.)

How is this different from just dragging the item into the search bar and clicking "search"?

Although it won't differentiate stacks of items from single items, all of the items that are on sale are returned with the price asked.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    We've all done it at least once and been on both sides of the sale. I once sold a lobi ship that was going for 250m as 25m. Then I've snatched up 10 packs of keys for dirt cheap. Sucks but that's part of why they gave us commas. Whoever that guy was that bought my ship I just hope it did some good for instead of going to a reseller.
    You might be able to talk to customer support to try and get the sale undine. I don't know about STO but SWTOR customer service has a thing where you can ask them to undo a sale or accidental discard for any item, but theyll only do it 3 times in one year. (I think it's to prevent people from scamming them or something), but honestly my experiences with Cryptic Support are very mixed, so it's hard to say if they would do it and I've never encountered the issue myself. Worst I've ever done was sale 10 keys for the price of one. But I've also bought like 999 keys for the price of one key before but the guy who I got them from never tried to contact me to ask for them back.

In this case I can tell you how that's going to go. As it sits right now for all the buyer knows, he meant to sell the item for that price just to get rid of it. Even if it was in error, he listed the item for a specific price and it was purchased at a specific price. It's incumbent on the seller to make sure their price(s) are what they want them to be before posting, not that of the buyer. The buyer is under no obligation to return the item since it was listed and bought at a certain price through a legitimate transaction. While I feel for the OP since all of us have done it, this one is purely his responsibility alone. The only time I have ever heard of a transaction being reversed is if there was a case of a TRIBBLE account or something like that. It sucks but it's entirely his responsibility.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

How is this different from just dragging the item into the search bar and clicking "search"?

Although it won't differentiate stacks of items from single items, all of the items that are on sale are returned with the price asked.
    Different in that currently, it are two different tabs, and you can't see the current going price and the price you enter at the same time.
    Also, the more important feature is that the sales price field would be prefilled with the current going sales price for the kind of item you use, so you can't be wildly off anymore.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

I don't see how its rewarding poor decision making. But hey, your entire post sounded like you were insulting his intelligence. That's like saying that companies shouldn't offer refunds because "you shouldn't get a do over"

And your post sounded like you don't believe in personal responsibility or paying attention to detail. See what happens when you twist things to your snap interpretation? My post before wasn't insulting. Unless telling the truth now is to be considered an insult.

The seller failed to pay attention to the zeroes being piled onto the asking price. Then tried to blame the market for something that wasn't the market's fault. Why should the buyer give the ship back? He didn't fleece the seller. How would you go about "punishing" the exchange, when it was solely there to make the seller's listing public, at the price that the seller posted?

It is poor decision making on the seller's part, because the seller didn't verify and verify once more before hitting that post button. If Cryptic hands the seller a new unwrapped ship as a result, that is rewarding the mistake that was made by the seller.
    meimeitoo wrote: »

This reminds me of that joke: "How to remember your wife's anniversary? ... Forget it once." :P

I think that's why my younger brother married his wife on his birthday. No excuses then.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I can say is did you learn a lesson how many zeros you put on a item to list in the exchange. If you honestly think someone is going to give you the ship back, I have to say you have alot of faith in your fellow man. Guess what it didn't work. Move on and DON'T ever make the same mistake again.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    You might be able to talk to customer support to try and get the sale undine.

No, the Undine would simply brush you off, and say "The weak will perish!"

Yep. I don't feel sorry for anyone when they make that mistake. If I see a ship that's CRAZY STUPID EXPENSIVE posted for a fraction, I'll get it, send it to the toon I want to use it for and OPEN IT.

And I won't shed a tear. >:)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.