test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Winter Event Tips and Tricks Thread

2»

Comments

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    STOunrefined just posted a vid with tips to help run the race.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Wmp5d4V7g
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Tip: Frosted Boots... use ONLY during straight-a-ways, if at all. Turn em off otherwise... you'll drift and slide and use up more time... I often pass by folks who insists on using them throughout the entire race, even thou I start after them and I do not use the boots at ALL.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I see no reason to use the boots at all in the race. I'm done in just over a minute without them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Thanks to my current Ground Speed due to my Endeavor bonus my frost boots just make me all kinds of clumsy now.
    OFF DAMN BOOTS! OFF I SAY!

Did you know that you can run the race bare foot? :smiley:
    It's kind of cool, pardon the pun.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Is Tides of Ice still bugged or is there a secret way to get rewards at the end?
    Oh, and let's not forget that there are Winter Event DOFF Assignments for a small number of trinkets. It's just a few for each DOFF mission, but they add up over the entire event.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Category:Winter_Event_assignments
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Tip: Frosted Boots... use ONLY during straight-a-ways, if at all. Turn em off otherwise... you'll drift and slide and use up more time... I often pass by folks who insists on using them throughout the entire race, even thou I start after them and I do not use the boots at ALL.
    As far as I can tell, frosted boots don't make you run faster on slippery ice anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Is Tides of Ice still bugged or is there a secret way to get rewards at the end?
    did you hit the button to join the event?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    As far as I can tell, frosted boots don't make you run faster on slippery ice anyways.
    A couple permanent groundspeed bonuses (endeavor and/or traits) and you don't need to run at all. My toons all WALK faster than the "opponent." When one spawns at all.

Jemmies are also good with the ketracel boost.
    warpangel wrote: »
    A couple permanent groundspeed bonuses (endeavor and/or traits) and you don't need to run at all. My toons all WALK faster than the "opponent." When one spawns at all.

You could call it by it's Brand Name - Ketracelerator TM.
    :p
    warpangel wrote: »

You could do that even before. It was less easy before, but if you used the shortest possible path you could totally do it even in the first edition. It just required near perfect play.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    To help out here. Since I've been unable to find any maps to point out to others where to find the gifts in winter invasion. Where my character marker is in the map is where each gift is.
    1 Stairs to the left, just out of the start gate.
    OiAX4pq.jpg?1
    2 up the back stairs north of 1.
    SHsKbNs.jpg?1
    3 Set of stairs north of north of the path toward 4 and 5.
    GSP77rP.jpg?1
    4 Stairs across from the deck outside of yeti entrance.
    ooiE6LF.jpg?1
    5 In yeti cave
    3TaGnof.jpg?2
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    It shows the location with a green circle since it's an actual objective. You can even try to V scan, but V usually points at snowball piles. I think a more useful way is to show how to get to it, since not all of the paths are easy to see on the map.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    It shows the location with a green circle since it's an actual objective. You can even try to V scan, but V usually points at snowball piles. I think a more useful way is to show how to get to it, since not all of the paths are easy to see on the map.

A bit of help from the Wiki.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Q%27s_Winter_Wonderland#Gallery
    Some pretty good caps in there. Well, I think so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't see any winter invasion stuff there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

I don't see any winter invasion stuff there.

Yeah even the information on winter invasion doesn't have much that helps.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Winter_Invasion
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    Not sure if this got mentioned yet, but you can see fish outlines where the fishing spots are, you can follow these outlines when fishing spots move.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I want to thank everyone for another great year of tips and tricks. See you all next year!
    *starts sweeping the floor of the cafe after turning the Open sign off*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    *turns the Open sign back on*

Ladies and Gentlemen... the cafe is open again! Due to Coronavirus, Cryptic has reopened Q's Winter Wonderland. And after asking Darkblade, the Tips and Tricks Thread is open again as it was for the most recent Winter Event.
    Come on back in, share your tips, review the tips we've given the first time around, and get some practice in for next year's event!

See you guys on the ice!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • crossmrcrossmr Member Posts: 86 Arc User

So it was broken during the actual event, and they didn't bother to fix it before rereleasing it? Nice.

It's still broken. I've tried it 6 times I think. The first 2-3, nothing happened, so I ignored it. Wandered over and got to do it twice later, this last time I've done it, The first wave spawned, but oddly. It seemed to spawn all the snowmen from the first wave at once who just ROFLstomped the barriers, instant killed anyone in there (so many snowmen at once) and basically all escaped (6 stopped, 50 escaped, even though I had a real weapon, and so did someone else, we were just taken out in like 1 second) and then stopped sending waves after that.

• gunny338#2712 gunny338 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Kinda late on this response as is so posting this for future readers whom may want a leg up.

Real simple,,,,,. Cheat,,,,. Q does, why not you.
    "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force of our lives.
    We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity"

Captain Jean Luc Picard
This discussion has been closed.