test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online Premier: Spock's Jellyfish Ship.

Comments

• vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Is it just me or do stats look disappointing? I expected at least one more weapon and device slot. Is there anything good on that except looks?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think there’s trouble in STO land. Everything is costing money these days
    Even the free Tier 6 ship tokens and the free Event ships?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I think there’s trouble in STO land. Everything is costing money these days
    Even the free Tier 6 ship tokens and the free Event ships?

Hey, those 2 free C-Store ships and 4 event ships don't count, because reasons!

Back on topic, the specs do seem meh, only 6 weapon slots for an R&D pack science ship that costs around $175 on the exchange for a single-character unlock? $30 account-wide C-Store ships give us that though as 3/3 not 4/2.

The audience seems to be mainly Spock or Vulcan super-fans, and obsessive collectors who need to own everything. It doesn't seem like a power creep ship.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
    vongraven wrote: »
    Is it just me or do stats look disappointing? I expected at least one more weapon and device slot. Is there anything good on that except looks?

I think the stats look pretty good if you know what to do with those.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.

For example? What do you think would be a good way to use these?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited December 2019

For example? What do you think would be a good way to use these?

GravWell3 + Torpedo boat? It does let you equip one more forward launcher than C-Store science ships.
    GravWell3 + Torpedo boat? It does let you equip one more forward launcher than C-Store science ships.

Hm, never tried a torpedo boat yet, not quite sure about these. But I might consider. Thank you for advice.

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    I personally would rather go without and settle for a C-Store ship then gamble on something that could potentially be more costly than a C-Store ship will be. If it goes on the exchange for less than 150m I might consider it when I have enough EC, if not and its more then again, C-Store Ships here we come.

R&D packs are worthless (unlike lock boxes) and you must open (on average) 100 packs to get one ship, so the pack ships sell for 1.3 billion EC on PC.

I know what some of the high end ships cost on the Exchange, hense why I will never have any of them. 1.5B is way too much to spend in EC for a ship.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    As much as I want this ship I wish they had not put it in a box that should’ve been in the C store that’s just me personally
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    As much as I want this ship I wish they had not put it in a box that should’ve been in the C store that’s just me personally

It is the one ship in the Promo Box that should be a C-Store ship even if Cryptic decided to make it cost 6000 Zen. All of the other Promo Box ships are an alien ship or not from the 24th or 25th Century. It used to be that the Lockbox and Promo Box ships were confined to alien ships, but now we have a ship that it makes sense for our Federation Captains to command and it is locked behind a massive paywall.
  • miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    ENJOY YOUR PROMO SHIP!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    miirik wrote: »
    ENJOY YOUR PROMO SHIP!

Those of us who can actually GET IT. >_>;
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    For some reason they don't want to add any JJ Trek ship to the c-store.
    avoozuul wrote: »

Except it is the only JJ Trek ship that should be in the C-Store. It has more sense being in the C-Store than the Galaxy-X ever did. I guess we could hope for the Vulcan Scout Vessel to be in the C-Store which has a few minor changes to the Vulcan Experimental Scout Vessel.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Its actually for a really simple reason
    -All leveling/C-Store ships are ships the factions would realistically have access to in universe.
    -Lockbox/lobi/event ships are ships from enemy, or non-playable, factions that the player shouldn't be flying based on the prime timeline canon.
    -R&D promo ships are for highly unique/specialized ships there should really only be one of(Annorax, Franklin, Jellyfish), or should be so old that they shouldn't be powerful as they are(TOS Connie)

Cryptic has talked about before how CBS wants certain ships to be really rare(like the TOS Connie), and likewise limits things like playable races(hence no Kelpians), and what costumes people can wear(hence no Romulans in Starfleet uniforms) The way ships are put into the C-Store, lockboxes, or R&D packs, has been fairly contestant for years, and falls in line with these same kinds of restrictions.

Kelvin timeline ships are from another universe, and thus shouldn't be flyable via normal means, and thus are lockbox or R&D ships.
    It's funny how only the Hero ships are ever "so old" they have to be put in promo boxes, while their less famous contemporaries are just fine in the C-Store.

BTW, your information is outdated. Romulans can wear Starfleet uniforms now. :p
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The romulan ships imploding is not a problem in a world with Star Trek kinds of physics defying technology since the gravity could just be negated by the containment systems. as soon as the system fails is when the ship implodes.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Its actually for a really simple reason
    -All leveling/C-Store ships are ships the factions would realistically have access to in universe.
    -Lockbox/lobi/event ships are ships from enemy, or non-playable, factions that the player shouldn't be flying based on the prime timeline canon.
    -R&D promo ships are for highly unique/specialized ships there should really only be one of(Annorax, Franklin, Jellyfish), or should be so old that they shouldn't be powerful as they are(TOS Connie)

Cryptic has talked about before how CBS wants certain ships to be really rare(like the TOS Connie), and likewise limits things like playable races(hence no Kelpians), and what costumes people can wear(hence no Romulans in Starfleet uniforms) The way ships are put into the C-Store, lockboxes, or R&D packs, has been fairly contestant for years, and falls in line with these same kinds of restrictions.

Kelvin timeline ships are from another universe, and thus shouldn't be flyable via normal means, and thus are lockbox or R&D ships.

As someone else said, Romulans can indeed wear Starfleet uniforms now, Klingon too.

However, on ships, its one thing when they are from hostile factions or alternate universes, but neither of those remotely apply for the Jellyfish. That is a prime universe ship, made by an entity within the Federation, that prime universe Spock took on a magic carpet ride. That logic also didn't apply to the Galaxy X for some reason, despite being effectively nothing more than a fever dream to captain Picard.
  • zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I admit I don't like JJ trek. but wasn't the jelly fish like a shuttle craft or at most a runabout size. not a full on star ship size.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    zzzspina01 wrote: »
    I admit I don't like JJ trek. but wasn't the jelly fish like a shuttle craft or at most a runabout size. not a full on star ship size.

It is a little more than twice as large as a Danube runabout (54.25 meters vs 23.1 meters) but is a single-person craft. Make of that what you will.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    A single drop of red matter killed a planet, probably a bad idea to let idiot boffs near it.

Tovan "dude where's my sister" khev would likely think it was syrup for making milkshakes. Although having a gravitational singularity destroy him from the inside seems like a better ending to his arc than finding his sister and leaving her again.

But the Jellyfish is not a Kelvin Timeline ship. Then there is the fact that the Jellyfish in Star Trek 2009 is a shuttle while this ship is an actual starship so it is not a ship that there should be only one of.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    It is mostly forgotten now, but back in the old days, before F2P, when Cryptic still belonged to Atari, the Galaxy-X was actually a very, very special ship. The only way to get it was to recruit 5 other players into STO - you got the ship when they each had subscribed for a month (or more).
    I believe lots of people then, rather than recruiting players ("I don't have that many friends", "No friend would invite someone into a subpar game as STO" or whatever else the explanations were) people simply created throw-away accounts to qualify to get the ship.
    I think that must have been the first sign for Cryptic that people would be willing to pay a lot of extra for a vanity ship. (Back then, we didn't have C-Store ships yet - we had alternate C-Store ship costumes, and they were a lot cheaper than a full ship. I really don't know if they were profitable... Nowadays, these specific costumes are unlocked by fleet retrofits for the ships... Edit: I might be misrembering and the Tier 5 Retrofits of the Tier 4 Hero ships were actually the first C-Store ships and existed already when the Galaxy X Recruitment Promo Referral Program was launched.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    As far as I'm concerned...

CvSvOfPWAAADzg7.jpg​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I just saw one of them cute fidget spinners buzz around ESD, with a high-pitched rotating sound (like in the show). Very nice; but not going to shell out 1.5b EC for a ship that doesn't even have a unique bridge.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I just saw one of them cute fidget spinners buzz around ESD, with a high-pitched rotating sound (like in the show). Very nice; but not going to shell out 1.5b EC for a ship that doesn't even have a unique bridge.

the scalpers had a great year, didn't they, Mei?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    ENJOY YOUR PROMO SHIP!

All the different flavors, and you continue to be salty. Jealousy or bitterness are stinky, stinky colognes. You too can own one, or even sell for the high prices, by putting in the work to gain the funds, or by flashing the credit card to get the boxes. Or you can hope/beg/flail for a handout. It's not out of your reach unless you CHOOSE to pull a Picard and "make it so." In which case, that's on you. Being a billionaire isn't immoral, despite what crazy-eyed politicians keep telling you.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    ENJOY YOUR PROMO SHIP!

All the different flavors, and you continue to be salty. Jealousy or bitterness are stinky, stinky colognes. You too can own one, or even sell for the high prices, by putting in the work to gain the funds, or by flashing the credit card to get the boxes. Or you can hope/beg/flail for a handout. It's not out of your reach unless you CHOOSE to pull a Picard and "make it so." In which case, that's on you. Being a billionaire isn't immoral, despite what crazy-eyed politicians keep telling you.

An admirable effort, but you're wasting your time. Many have tried to help her in the past but she's not interested in anything other then complaining.

It's all a ploy for attention, best to just ignore it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    ENJOY YOUR PROMO SHIP!

Sigh when people compare video games to real life. What a shame... what a shame.
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
This discussion has been closed.