test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nova class: the Ship the Game Forgot

Comments

• majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Keep making threads until they listen! :smile:

Thankfully (over a year later) I haven't needed to, since this one has endured :)

I tend to ignore fed ships but this one I WOULD open my wallet for if they got off their duffs and made one. Count me in as one asking for the T6 Nova.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    @reyan01 I have to ask. How far off from the Nova is that S31 Intel Sci Destroyer ship?
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    @reyan01 I have to ask. How far off from the Nova is that S31 Intel Sci Destroyer ship?

very. The comparison isn't close at all. Besides the obvious one being a lock box ship and the other being a fleet ship

IMO the section 31 destroyer isn't a good ship for a few reasons but through function and capability it is a superior ship to the nova.

The Section 31 Intel Destroyer is an Intel Spec t6 ship with transforming capabilities allowing it to toggle between being an ok science vessel and an ok tactical vessel. It has built in stealth allowing it to perform cloaked attacks. Has a very good pvp trait, has one more console slot then the t5U Nova, One more weapon slot, has an experimental gun slot, and has the tractor drones console.

Other then both being science vessels and sharing a similar science build up from 1-4 levels, they aren't similar.

Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • huskerr1huskerr1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Considering it's Appearance in VOY's Endgame and the impact it made there, it should be considered a workhorse, similar to the Excelsior. I mean it has all the tools, when you consider how it single handedly destroyed 2 Negh'Vars. I'd pay the 30 bucks, allthough I dont have to. Nuff said.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 4,387 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be honest, a painful reminder that this was over two years ago now:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/921547628835323904

The "Which ship do you most want to buy & fly in STO" poll which the Nova class won - a result which was subsequently ignored entirely.

That was during the height of the "nobody uses science ships" nonsense where about a third or more of the ships that showed up in ques and were hanging around hubs and whatnot where science ships or science hybrids of some sort.

That freeze seems to be thawing now but since almost all new stuff seems to be DSC or Kelvin and that timeline knot is probably what is holding it back now. Of course they could be proactive and do a Kelvinized or Disco'd version of the Nova but if they did it would probably prove to be less popular than a mainstream Nova/Rhode Island (to say the least) and it would still not solve the problem of no T6 version of the original.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,960 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Maybe the Nova could also be a ship suited for an "Improved Tyken's Rift" that mirrors Gravity Well's features, if we don't want to use the Nucleoenic Lifeform connection.

I think STO also hasn't used anything with these Null Space
    pockets.

Improved Tyken's Rift - Starship Mastery Trait
    • The duration of your Tyken's Rift increasesby 10 seconds.
    • The radius of your Tyken's Rfit increases to by 1 km.
    • The recharge time of your Tyken's Rift is reduced by 20 seconds.
    • Targets caught in your Tyken's Rift also suffer a 50 % reduction in flight speed and turn rate.

Nullspace Rift - Starship Mastery Trait
    Your Tyken's Rift create a temporary null space.
    Each second, a ship caught in your Tyken's Rift has a 5 % chance to have its engines knocked offline.
    Your Tyken's Rift causes a shield drain over time and targets in your rift suffer a -50 % damage penalty.
    In addition, an enemy that is destroyed while in your Tyken's Rift enters Nullspace and disappears. (this isn't really anything useful, possibly the opposite, but it is cool).

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    I'd love to see a scaling Nova at this point.

Something beginners could use, and then keep using, right up through T6.

The Nova would be the perfect ship for this - starting small, but becoming very useful with upgrades. The ship pretty much screams this with its ability to take advantage of advanced tech.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    nova T6, in the promo box or in the mud's "market" for 8000 zen!! like it seems that cryptic needs money :p
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,853 Arc User
    nova T6, in the promo box or in the mud's "market" for 8000 zen!! like it seems that cryptic needs money :p

That is just being cruel.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,481 Arc User
    And just when we forgot about it, the discussion is back!!! ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,817 Arc User
    T6 Nova could be called the Aster class IMO, the words have a similar meaning, with Aster meaning "Star"

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    Could a T6 Nova be called a Super Nova? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    Sadly the nova is currently more of a black hole
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,960 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    T6 Nova could be called the Aster class IMO, the words have a similar meaning, with Aster meaning "Star"

Creative idea!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    It's coming for the 10th Anniversary celebration.

Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    It's coming for the 10th Anniversary celebration.

How do you know it will? No point giving out false hope

• chociily#6045 chociily Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Ooh yes, we need this. The Nova class was my favourite ship for a little while last year, and it was one of my favourite starter ships when I first got STO. The devs really do need to add a T6 Nova.
    Let us hope that the devs surprise us with a T6 Nova for the 10th anniversary.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,818 Arc User
    I don't want the Nova for myself, I prefer carriers, but I support adding a T6 Nova to make Nova fans happy.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I don't want the Nova for myself, I prefer carriers, but I support adding a T6 Nova to make Nova fans happy.

Perhaps the T6 Nova can release Nova pets for the Fed carriers. :open_mouth:
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 4,387 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    lordgyor wrote: »

Perhaps the T6 Nova can release Nova pets for the Fed carriers. :open_mouth:

The Nova would be a bit large even for a "frigate" pet, it is destroyer sized in Voyager, not frigate sized. Maybe that is the problem the devs have with it, trying to come up with a science destroyer after the Dyson ones.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 36,985 Arc User
    Rick Sternbach has revealed his intended size: "I drew the blueprints at 1"=30', and the ship is 24.25" long, so the real thing would be 727.5 feet or 221.74 meters".

so yeah, if that's consistent with onscreen appearances, a little bit big for a frigate as far as star trek goes​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    How large would the B'rel be according to onscreen appearance.
This discussion has been closed.