Phoenix Run Unplanned - Meant to Help Dilex - Borticus

13»

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    mazujie wrote: »
    > @foppotee#4552 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > The new DS9 map is definitely a more accurate depiction of the series DS9 & I like it a lot, but I always have & still feel it is more cramp & should've been widened a bit.

Agree 100%, park your ship outside the inner ring, then look up how big you shipsize is, and the measure the time to run around the inner ring, that's a whole new world record! 😋😋

The exterior map is too big, not he interior map too small.

Nah. Interior map, whilst gorgeous, does indeed feel a bit too cramped. In the show, a walk on the Promenade definitely felt more spacious. Not really a big deal for me, though: I love it the way it is.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Roleplayers hate the new DS9 map for 2 primary reasons. A: Quarks is no longer a seperate instance which is a great inconvenience to roleplayers, and B: the NPC trains of stupid NPCs constantly bumping into you and pushing players around.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Roleplayers hate the new DS9 map for 2 primary reasons. A: Quarks is no longer a seperate instance which is a great inconvenience to roleplayers, and B: the NPC trains of stupid NPCs constantly bumping into you and pushing players around.
    Quark's has never been a separate instance. It was accessed with a teleport door in the old version, but like ops, it was part of the same map.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Quark's has never been a separate instance. It was accessed with a teleport door in the old version, but like ops, it was part of the same map.

I clearly remember that if you spoke in a local channel in quarks back then it was not visible by the entire station like it is now. that is what I am referring to.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2019

I clearly remember that if you spoke in a local channel in quarks back then it was not visible by the entire station like it is now. that is what I am referring to.

Local is proximity based, if you were off in your own corner of the map (see. teleport) then players in other sections couldn't here you. Still in the same instance though. This isn't something that Cryptic is likely to change for RP purposes since it diminishes the experience for everyone else of walking into quarks (if you haven't done so already: forming a group with a private channel is the way to go here.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    Most don't realize Cryptic screwed up with Mudd's Market...all those items in Mudd's Market should have been part of the Phoenix boxes, this would have driven down zen MUCH MORE than usual as many want the bridge officers and character items. Cryptic instead decided to add a second Ferengi that uses zen instead of dil to sell said items, this was a mistake thus zen will basically keep going up as they reintroduce more items on Mudd's Market.

I find it more likely that Cryptic will raise the Dilithium Exchange cap than they'll introduce a method to seriously lower the current rate, much like Cryptic did with the Energy Credits Exchange cap limit.

Raising the EC Exchange cap immediately lowered prices a bit but then overall most items steadily rose & now has lots of inflated prices higher than ever before. It would stake a substantial effort to lower the Dilithium Exchange rate to low 400s or into the 300s again.

I like the concept of Mudd's Market, but the pricing, the currency used, & the reasons thereof can be subjective, but I do agree that if most of Mudd's items had been used for Phoenix it probably would've lowered Dilithium Exchange rates a lot more. I guess Cryptic had their reasons.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    I don't care to have some housing/apartment on a planet I won't be at.
    I'd prefer any effort in that area be made into ship interiors instead.

I saw a suggestion earlier about having an unlock token for generic fixed bridge ships, to unlock a full interior. I support this, and make it a dil sink.
    I'd like to have a "interior refit" token to convert a starship's interior to my faction appropriate material. Or even a few more decks of "generic starship interior." Some of the old foundry or mission maps, while dated, would certainly work to give a starship at least a more filled out interior.

Also, the one thing that always puzzled me is why does the ready room have account bank access, but not character bank access? If anything it should be the other way around. Anyway, why not add both, and exchange and mail as well?

In fact, all of the above could be made as special reputation projects (like the old events) to unlock them per character with dilithium.

I think they simply don't want people to stand alone in their bridge, and instead spend time in social zones. So interiors will probably never get all the amenities a fully fledged social map will have. They offer them for fleet holdings, probably because they envisioned fleet members might use those as a social zone. I wonder how many fleets do that, however. I don't remember a time I actually met someone on my fleet holding, but I am not a very "social" gamer like that.

If wishes were horses, or we had a time machine, or an arbitrary amount of manpower, I'd build ship interiors differently.
    1) Limit them to a very small number of base bridges and interiors.
    2) Create customization points on these interiors, e.g. what style of warp core or what style of view screen, what kind of MSD, what kind of ship models in your ready room, what paintings hang on your cabin walls and what style of bed do yo use. Stuff to personalize your ship, the style of wall. Somewhat similar to the Champions Online Hideout*.
    3) Create mission interaction points where NPCs or mission objects can spawn, so you can reuse interiors for missions. If there is a mission type that STO is missing, it's the "ship-in-a-bottle" episode were a significant part of the story happens on the ship and not extravagant sets.

But that is still a ton of work, and it leaves unanswered what is going to happen to all the existing bridges people bought or gained by acquiring special ships.

*) I fear that the success or lack thereof of Champions Online's hideout system might also influence Cryptic's willingness to invest into this area, even if they didn't have all the other issues regarding the existing interiors. @tacofangs might have something to comment on, or perhaps he definitely doesn't want to or just plain shouldn't. :)

Unless Thursday downtime fixed things, that's exactly what Cryptic has done, with ship bridge invites not working since November 12th. And why are people being on their bridges a bad thing? Especially since some of the older bridges are amazing(Bortasqu' bridge is best bridge, numbah 1. I also like the Reclaw bridge, Voth, and Breen bridges as close seconds) in how they look. Why should players be led by the nose to social hubs, especially if some of those that "evolved" ended up having more detriments added to them(I'll go ahead and say it. I miss the old DS9, and prefer it to the new one.)? Or some social hubs have been neglected ever since being completed(like Captain's Table) We already have to deal with being railroaded through missions.
    You're railroaded into social zones because that is where you definitely can meet other players, and MMOs work better if you engage in some ways with other players than if you not. You have a question, someone answers. Or someone has a question, you reply. Or someone has a cool uniform/ship/fleet/title and you wonder how she/he got it, or vice versa.
    On your bridge, none of that happens unless you already made friends in social zones or other group activities before. But if everoyne that did it once disappears into bridges all the time, new players won't have much of that.
    Of course, that's not why they broke the invite-feature. That's just a bug.

I really don't get why anyone would want that old ugly DS9 map back. So glad it finally feels accurate. It has really been remarkable work. And despite being looking so much better, it hasn't lost its utility, it got even simpler to use, thanks to the ship stuff and the bank/exchange being so close. They probably could dial down Leeta a bit.

Here's a reason why I would want it back. The area was larger. Less claustrophobic. It also had less in the ways of NPCs waddling in and deciding to hockey hip-check players. Higher population cap as well for the instances. Even the seating inside the bar was better back then, because you had room to sit your character in the chairs in other sit stances. And no Nog mad-dogging everyone inside, while he perches at the bar. But...since you're not much of a "social" gamer as you admitted, you wouldn't know about any of this stuff. Newer isn't always better. As the upcoming Ford Mustang shows.
  • vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    I‘ve thought for a quite long time if I want to share my opinion on that and decided to give it a try. (Sorry if I repeat something that was written before as I haven’t read all the comments.)

I think, those p-boxes will have only timed effect on dilex which will fade the more time gonna pass. It’s cool to see devs are adding some desirable items to p-store, but sadly the most people have already got what they wanted. So my idea is:

1. ...to create more p-content only, so it‘s always worth to pump dil there. New items -> new interest -> profit
    2. ...to stop that Mudds market whatever and put old rewards to p-box instead. P-box lacks new content, but the long forgotten oldies may count as new. Personally I’d be happy to see more boffs. There were other holograms of the original trek characters, I really wanna have them! Like Garak, Geordy, Kira etc. I‘d also like to get boffs of the species we don’t have yet, like vaadwaur.
    3. ...to create more dil-based events like the p-box. There are too much events for zen items but their dil counterparts are missing. Consequence - dilex is ruined. More dil events will help to keep the exchange rate constant. For example let people buy lobi crystals or lockbox keys with dil for a limited time, without the exchange to zen. So the price will be constant and won’t depend on the zen exchange rate.
    4. ...to update the crafting system adding new items. P-box is fun to have around for long time but it won’t solve the dilex problem. In fact I think it will only transfer it to another market. Hence it will ruin crafts market in a matter of months, I guess. Crafted/upgraded items will get completely worthless because of free upgrade tokens and it’s a shame. So it’s possible to add something worthy and dil-consuming to R&D. For example, a row of projects to create a ship or at least some shuttles.
    5. And to sum it up a general point. I think, adding nerfs and dil costs to items which were free before (like p-upgrades) will only cause people rage. Instead, it would be better to add something new, dil-consuming and worthy. It the last years I have a feeling there is much more good stuff being added to gambleboxes and zen-store (except event ships and rewards, thanks for those). But it’s shame there is much, much, much more stuff you have to pay real money for. I don’t want to scream „We are all DOOOMED!!“ - I‘m sharing my honest opinion and nothing more. I don’t mind spending real money on games I enjoy, as I did over last years, including STO. But right now I’m not planning to buy stuff for real money in the STO, atleast until the dilex is fixed. The reason is simple - I‘m very unsure if the game will continue to exist or it’s going to the end and devs are trying to get the last out of it. Broken economy makes me really unsure if the money I spend would be wasted. So I don’t want to be a fool, as simple as that.

So I think it’s still a good thing to see something is getting done to fix the dilex. There are further steps necessary though.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    Here's a reason why I would want it back. The area was larger. Less claustrophobic. It also had less in the ways of NPCs waddling in and deciding to hockey hip-check players. Higher population cap as well for the instances. Even the seating inside the bar was better back then, because you had room to sit your character in the chairs in other sit stances. And no Nog mad-dogging everyone inside, while he perches at the bar. But...since you're not much of a "social" gamer as you admitted, you wouldn't know about any of this stuff. Newer isn't always better. As the upcoming Ford Mustang shows.

The instance population limit is entirely unrelated to the map. Social zones across the entire game had their population reduced. This includes Risa and ESD. This was in part to reduce the "feeling of lag" (quotation from patch notes).

That said, I much prefer the layout of this map better, though I wouldn't mind it being a little bit larger. If this were a first-person camera game, the scale would be perfect as is.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
This discussion has been closed.