test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

4 DHC And 1 DBB?

daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
So people say its bad to mix them but I love using the beam for BO and cannons for pew pew.
Why people say using both is bad? I feel like I do more damage lol I use AP btw

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    It's not that you can't.. just that it's not the most efficient. You basically have 1 Bridge Officer Power (Beam Overload) that's effecting only one of your weapons, where if it was a cannon it would be effected by the same powers that effect your other weapons, and that would free up a bridge officer slot for you.

If you like it though, and it's effective.. then by all means go for it. It's really no different then using a Torpedo with 4 Cannons and plenty of people do that.

When you originally asked about your build, many people (mostly me) told you to stay away from mixing because you stated you were interested in getting as much DPS as possible. Overall, 5 DHC will parse higher then 4 DHC and 1BB but not by a huge amount. You only really have to avoid it if you're trying to push your DPS as high as possible, otherwise, don't worry about it.

Play what you enjoy. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    It's not that you can't.. just that it's not the most efficient. You basically have 1 Bridge Officer Power (Beam Overload) that's effecting only one of your weapons, where if it was a cannon it would be effected by the same powers that effect your other weapons, and that would free up a bridge officer slot for you.

If you like it though, and it's effective.. then by all means go for it. It's really no different then using a Torpedo with 4 Cannons and plenty of people do that.

When you originally asked about your build, many people (mostly me) told you to stay away from mixing because you stated you were interested in getting as much DPS as possible. Overall, 5 DHC will parse higher then 4 DHC and 1BB but not by a huge amount. You only really have to avoid it if you're trying to push your DPS as high as possible, otherwise, don't worry about it.

Play what you enjoy. :smile:
    Ok thanks a lot sorrow. I need to check my DPS values but I feel like I did more dps with the 4 cannons and 1 DBB build rather than 5 cannon
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Current version of Beam Overload is a continual buff that affects all your beams, so mixing it with CRF is largely useless.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    In a recent ISA I encountered a player who parsed well over 200K in a cannon boat with CSV and BO on an A2B build. Silly good piloting and timing. Big numbers from both in the parser.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, using something like Overload on a cannon ship that uses Miracle Worker spec can be a very potent idea. I just don't normally recommend it on a non MW ship because it's overall less efficient. Now, that doesn't mean you can't put up big numbers using a Beam/Cannon mix.. because you absolutely can.

On my Klingon Miracle Worker ship, I use Cannons and one Beam Omni to proc MIxed Armaments Synergy. A while back they were messing around with Kemocite-Laced Weapons and it was doing pathetic damage. It's since been fixed (kinda) but on my KDF I started using Overload instead of Kemocite to spike the damage from the Omni. No reason you couldn't do the same with a dual beam bank.

If you're interested, my Miracle Worker Cannon build using Overload can be found here. It's an Anti Proton Build like what the OP likes to run.

Just a note, if you build something like this, you'll save a lot of EC using a DBB instead of the Omni I am using. That Delphic AP Omni is really expensive.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Interestingly @winters83 uses a mixed DHC/beam build on a "budget" T6 Fleet valiant to avoid global cool down on boff powers.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1251873/build-t6-fleet-valiant

While i do not agree with that decision i figured I'd let you know.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited November 2019
    questerius wrote: »
    Interestingly @winters83 uses a mixed DHC/beam build on a "budget" T6 Fleet valiant to avoid global cool down on boff powers.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1251873/build-t6-fleet-valiant

I saw that, it's an interesting way to go, but not one I personally would take.

His rational was that the ship had so many tactical slots that he had to mix beams and cannons to avoid wasting BoFF slots. What he didn't mention was that one of his tactical slots was actually a universal, so by going all cannons he could have used that universal for Engineering or Science and made a more efficient build.

Not saying he was 'right' or 'wrong,' I am a firm believer that if it works for you, then it's right. What he did was fine, it's just not a build method I personally would use or recommend.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Honestly, when BO only affected a single beam, a build like this was.. fine(if a bit niche). Now that BO affects all beams at once, I feel that a build like this is fairly obsolete/"for fun". If you're going for a beam overloader, just load up on DBBs and try to stack as much CritD and haste as you can. It's a relatively new playstyle that is.. stupid fun/effective.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    If you lack boff spots but still want to do this, you can always consider crafting a beam with [over] on it which will randomly proc beam overload from time to time. A 5/3 ship doesn't have that problem typically, but it is something to consider.

The other way around with cannons is [rapid] to proc CRF. Its something you could do if you have a 4/4 ship with DBBs. You can put on the undine rep turret for the set bonus, so the other turret could be a [rapid] turret and up the damage for the two turrets now and then since those ships typically don't have much in the way of tactical BOFFs.
  • winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
    questerius wrote: »

I saw that, it's an interesting way to go, but not one I personally would take.

His rational was that the ship had so many tactical slots that he had to mix beams and cannons to avoid wasting BoFF slots. What he didn't mention was that one of his tactical slots was actually a universal, so by going all cannons he could have used that universal for Engineering or Science and made a more efficient build.

Not saying he was 'right' or 'wrong,' I am a firm believer that if it works for you, then it's right. What he did was fine, it's just not a build method I personally would use or recommend.

I'm pretty sure that I said "I know that one of the stations is a universal". But isn't this the beauty of this game, you can do whatever you like. I like having the option of being able to have Beam Overloads or Fire at Wills for things like the Breach event that is currently running or even the Endeavor to destroy destructible torpedoes. FaW is extremely handy for things like that while at the same time, still having a cannon build. Each to their own though, right!? :smile:

-Winters
    Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
    =/\= ========================================== =/\=
    Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
    U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
    Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Unless you are trying to squeeze every pew pew of DPS out of a ship, mount whatever you want. If your gear is at least Ultra Rare Mk XV, nothing in normal or Advanced is gonna really give you issues.
    winters83 wrote: »
    Each to their own though, right!? :smile:

-Winters

Absolutely!

I would never be so arrogant as to think my way was the only way. While another build might not be what I personally like to run, it can still be a very good build.

You keep doing what you do, I enjoy your videos. :smile:
  • winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
    winters83 wrote: »
    Each to their own though, right!? :smile:

-Winters

Absolutely!

I would never be so arrogant as to think my way was the only way. While another build might not be what I personally like to run, it can still be a very good build.

You keep doing what you do, I enjoy your videos. :smile:

Thank you @seaofsorrows, I am delighted that you enjoy my videos! I hope you don't think I was accusing you of anything, nothing could be further from the truth! I totally respect everyone opinion and I totally agree with you when you say what is good for you or me may not be the right way for someone else and vice versa. :smile:

-Winters
    Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
    Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
    U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
    Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast