test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mudd's Market - Discussion and Feedback

Comments

• hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    There are two explanations for this the first one is that they allowed gecko to have control over this.

It's honestly not Al's style. It is however , exactly the style of Andre Emerson , our game's current EP.
    Truth is, we will never know who thought this was a good idea, so it's best not to actually pin it on anyone except to say that it's the decision of money counters in suits and not the Devs working in the trenches (as it were).

• pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    > ... If it hasn't been sold at that price previously ...

Not quite true - Cryptic introduces all ship packs with an initial sale price, only going back to the regular price later on. I'm no lawyer but I bet the law is like in the US where it's illegal if it is only ever sold at the sale price and never at list price.

The NEWS item claims the sale prices will change. All they have to do is cycle through what is and is not on sale.

That also answers @westx211 's concern.

Obviously laws change between regions, but in the UK:

"Broadly, any price comparisons of this kind must not be misleading. For example:
    to claim that products are on sale, you should show the previous price and should have been selling at that price for a meaningful period of time
    you must not claim a discount against the recommended retail price (RRP), if the RRP is significantly higher than the price generally charged for the product
    you should not claim that you are selling at an introductory price if you plan to continue selling at that price indefinitely, or to stop selling the product after the introductory period"

Apparently the mudd store prices are not the actual prices but done as part of the theme of mudd overcharging/being a conman and therefore is not the actual price. Introductory prices are acceptable, which sto does, but the store is saying that these fake prices are a discount and on sale from a previous inflated price, misleading the customer doubly on the value of the saving.
  • blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    I am sorry but this is not a joke and I don't find it funny.

I realize that it is a theme of Mudd ripping customers off... but people are paying real money. And it is not Mudd taking it, it is Cryptic.

This is not right. All player who bought should be refunded. It was a poorly thought out idea. Remember that there are kids who play this. Also not everybody will get the joke.

Cryptic should close this immediately and refund all the players that fell for it.
  • croupboicroupboi Member Posts: 76 Arc User

Not quite true - Cryptic introduces all ship packs with an initial sale price, only going back to the regular price later on. I'm no lawyer but I bet the law is like in the US where it's illegal if it is only ever sold at the sale price and never at list price.

The NEWS item claims the sale prices will change. All they have to do is cycle through what is and is not on sale.

Obviously laws change between regions, but in the UK:

"Broadly, any price comparisons of this kind must not be misleading. For example:
    to claim that products are on sale, you should show the previous price and should have been selling at that price for a meaningful period of time
    you must not claim a discount against the recommended retail price (RRP), if the RRP is significantly higher than the price generally charged for the product
    you should not claim that you are selling at an introductory price if you plan to continue selling at that price indefinitely, or to stop selling the product after the introductory period"

Apparently the mudd store prices are not the actual prices but done as part of the theme of mudd overcharging/being a conman and therefore is not the actual price. Introductory prices are acceptable, which sto does, but the store is saying that these fake prices are a discount and on sale from a previous inflated price, misleading the customer doubly on the value of the saving.

Seriously needs reporting.. uk it is against the law. simple as
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    the guy who has implemented this store, is the same who has created the new feminine animation :p
    Just to add to my comment. If the current 'discounts' are in fact the actual price as part of the 'theme' of it being mudd's store, then it is also misleading in that this isn't an introductory offer and is illegal for this also. This whole system needs some seriously clarifications as on the face of it it is breaking several UK/EU laws.
    edited November 2019
    in canada we have very stick laws about pricing and that includes the internet.

i think this is borderline illegal. items were free 6 weeks ago, similar items are sold for 5 dollars and now they are being sold for 10 dollars and you are saying the regualr price is really 40.

i understand it may be a joke but bussinesss is not a joke. It is real and there are real consequences.
    I really feel bad for anybody that has fallen for this.

if that guy in charge thinks this is funny I hope he is having a good laugh. But i am sure the players getting ripped off wiill not be laughing.

Cryptic owes all the player swho bought an apology and tyhey should be refunded.

i actually think that this is illegal and a few fleet members are already looking into the laws in California and in Toronto.

I hope they do the right thing and stop this this. it is just not right, it is not the right thing to do.

Come on Cryptic, do the right thing and stop this please.

• tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Yeah I am thinking the same thing, I think someone could make the case for "deceptive trade practices" I mean the sales price is the same as the normal price for other ships, so that is not really a sale now is it. If I was running this, I think I would be talking to legal right away to CYA.

At the very least they need to put on a disclaimer or change the inflated Zen Markup to "Mudd’s Bucks" or "GPL Hell that kinda works as well, Charge 35M GPL OR 3500Zen

I keep seeing "It's supposed to be a joke" and hearing that the Mods and CM intend to write a forum post explaining things. If you have to explain a "joke", then it's not a joke. This is a next level public relations TRIBBLE-up.

The only "joke" in all this is that they thought this would be funny.
  • french78#3664 french78 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    OK, folks, we are not about to start making wild, unsubstantiated, and slanderous accusations here. Keep this civil or this thread will be closed like the last one.

That being said, we've already been in contact with the devs about this and the "regular" prices are supposed to be an in-universe reference to Mudd being a salesman/con man. We're hoping to get an official statement from them on Facebook/Twitter confirming this so that we can link it back here.

Please don't set fire to the forum. Thank you.

In many countries - including the UK, you cannot simply make a "joke" about sale prices... there are rules in place around how and when you may advertise things as "on sale". Boring yes, but those rules are in place so that you cannot be seen to be trying to trick consumers in to thinking they are getting value, that they are not. if those items have never been on sale at those original prices, then - joke or not - you should not be advertising them as "on sale". That is misleading your customers.

The normal / list prices are insane, but items are really being sold at that price to people who will pay anything so no laws are being broken.

Sorry - can you tell me exactly when/where the Vizier class is/was actually being sold at 14,000 Zen? If it hasn't been sold at that price previously, then it is a breach of trading standards rules in the UK to state that it is a sale....

No, that is not correct. In the UK, if an item has never been sold anywhere for a specific price before, then you are not permitted to advertise a "sale" price for it with an essentially completely made up "normal" price for it. Even worse, if you never actualy intend to change the higher price for it in future either. These kinds of things are not allowed in some countries. You are essentially misleading your consumers... whether you think it is a joke or not.
    OK, folks, we are not about to start making wild, unsubstantiated, and slanderous accusations here. Keep this civil or this thread will be closed like the last one.

That being said, we've already been in contact with the devs about this and the "regular" prices are supposed to be an in-universe reference to Mudd being a salesman/con man. We're hoping to get an official statement from them on Facebook/Twitter confirming this so that we can link it back here.

Please don't set fire to the forum. Thank you.

In many countries - including the UK, you cannot simply make a "joke" about sale prices... there are rules in place around how and when you may advertise things as "on sale". Boring yes, but those rules are in place so that you cannot be seen to be trying to trick consumers in to thinking they are getting value, that they are not. if those items have never been on sale at those original prices, then - joke or not - you should not be advertising them as "on sale". That is misleading your customers.

The normal / list prices are insane, but items are really being sold at that price to people who will pay anything so no laws are being broken.

Sorry - can you tell me exactly when/where the Vizier class is/was actually being sold at 14,000 Zen? If it hasn't been sold at that price previously, then it is a breach of trading standards rules in the UK to state that it is a sale....

To be clear (and I apologise if I have misunderstood) are you saying you think that it is OK to do this because you actually believe they do intend to sell this ship at some point in the future for 14,000 Zen???
    i think there could be a lawsuit here.

• croupboicroupboi Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    i think there could be a lawsuit here.

if there is i will join it :)
    edited November 2019
    The fact that so many are questioning the pricing, the implementation and the legality of Mudd’s Market, Anyone else thinks the sums up this new "feature"
    dahv62t-0eeffdfd-96d3-45a8-a9ef-1b3897f1e795.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzFlNDllYTljLTM4Y2EtNDE2MS1hNThkLTk3OGU1ZDUwOTJkYlwvZGFodjYydC0wZWVmZmRmZC05NmQzLTQ1YTgtYTllZi0xYjM4OTdmMWU3OTUucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.7AFzUUzi5519kkzl90m_VZNRg3rlIrOv-QI__gyjkVg

The more I think about it, remove the 14,000Zen and replace it with 35,000,000 GPL Its a better gimick and zeros the confusion and as long as the item in theory could be purchased with GPL (Finally a real use for the stuff) makes the whole thing legit
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    hippiejon wrote: »
    There are two explanations for this the first one is that they allowed gecko to have control over this.

It's honestly not Al's style. It is however , exactly the style of Andre Emerson , our game's current EP.
    Truth is, we will never know who thought this was a good idea, so it's best not to actually pin it on anyone except to say that it's the decision of money counters in suits and not the Devs working in the trenches (as it were).

They are all actually quotes from Al lol is why its not the current EP so truth is you are wrong lol.
    When any percentage of your playerbase, no matter how small, is discussing legal action regarding your advertising practices, you have obviously won in the arena of public relations. Right?

Seriously, Cryptic Devs, you need to get someone official to comment on this fiasco.
    No offense to the forum Mods, but their opinions and placations mean all of a bunch of fluff. Someone from the Dev team needs to smooth this over. It shouldn't be the job of forum moderators.
    The joke ends where the law regarding sales practices begins. If they want to make the joke, make it in a blog post, not in the store.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It is only a joke, if when you select the item, it does not let you purchase it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited November 2019
    >Mudd is one of the most famous Star Trek side characters
    >Mudd is also known to be a massive scam artist in all his appearances
    >Cryptic makes a stupidly obvious joke referencing that
    >People don't get the joke despite how flagrant it is
    Le sigh.... this is why humor is dead.
    Mudd is a fictional character that someone playing the game may not know about. Obvious because you think it is obvious does not mean that this is obvious. If people can sued and win over “Hot liquids are Hot and may cause burns", then this joke seems to be an easier case. As dumb as you are I make think this is, legally they need to assume the lowest common denominator. This is why just about everything has warning like "living may cause cancer" at this point.

edited November 2019
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • cha0tic1acha0tic1a Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    UK law states that goods must be offered for sale at the higher price for 28 days.
    That's why companies start selling stuff at stupid prices with no expectation of sales a month before any 'sale' starts. Makes the discount look great when it isn't. In the UK for 'real' sales on non-pixel stuff they love prosecuting companies who don't stick to the rules. Not sure if it applies to pixel currencies like Zen but it seems to be on thin ice and a potential PR/trust issue.
    From what I've seen it's all ridiculously priced.
    frankly, if your excuse for made up sales pricing is "it was just a joke" then you shouldn't be in the business of selling things to consumers. Seriously, is there a missing "layer" in cryptic somewhere? I mean a layer of leadership or control between the devs who make stuff, and the people who then sell and market that stuff? Surely a good company with fairness, value, transparency at its heart would have someone or a team in place to ensure that products were marketed/prices/advertised in accordance with some kind of legal/moral code? Or... you know, just someone that might put their hand up and say "guys... you know what, this might not be taken as a joke by some people... and ya know... laws and stuff".... Seriously, the mind boggles....
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Mudd Market...

oh-you-made-bhiwym.jpg​​
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    I think some people get the joke, but the issue is, it doesn't matter if it was a "joke" from a legal perspective. You can't just break the law and say "It was just a prank bruh". This is a legitimate cause for concern, I didn't bring up the legal side of things because "Haha Hate Craptic" I brought it up because I legitimately thing that the devs are unaware of the laws regarding sales in Many parts of the US and Europe, and when trying to be funny or cute, did something very illegal. But being unaware of a law, is also not a defense, you can't say you were "unaware" murder was illegal.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    edited November 2019
    (Link to profanity laced rant removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • keppabar42keppabar42 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Isn't this literally the same fake discount TRIBBLE Bethesda got in trouble with on their Christmas sale for 76 last year? You'd think someone at Cryptic's leagal department might be aware of that.
  • vincetzuwu#5400 vincetzuwu Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I find it funny that people automatically assume every player in STO are going to be intimately familiar with all things Harry Mudd. He was featured in TOS, not really apart of anything again until 1-2 episodes of Discovery. You have to remember this is a f2p game so not everyone playing is going to be a super fan of the franchise. Like someone said, this is Cryptic taking money and doing the advertising, not a fictional character. Some of these items have never been for sale before, so it's silly to say what a "normal" price would be compared to the "sale" price. Someone mentioned the "buy out" price for the old event items, which would be on par with old events, 2k zen. Where they get 8k is beyond me. Last I checked jokes are supposed to be funny and if you have to address the joke on a forum, you may have missed the mark.
This discussion has been closed.