test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chat offline / Unsuported System (linux) but still bug introduced in 12/11/2019 (unto the breach)

rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
edited November 2019 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Since 12th of Nov's patch (unto the breach start) I had initially troubles in login and then I managed to login after switching a game proxy and then EACH time I switch a character chat system "doesn't connect" at all (no connection to chat message appears, unlike for the 1st character). I can't see any chat text and can't have my writing "posted" in the channels I am in though I can chose channels I am in. Friend list seems frozen but full - is as it was on previous char as if an update isn't done after the 1st char's connection to chat system (which happens), and after switch, beside a frozen friends list, also no reaction to any chat message sending - if words are silently omited. (there is no chat offline system even, just a silence.)

On relog everything is normal in that regard and I can see and type chat (which then appears) again (I have/had other bugs since that patch.) - until it breaks again while trying to switch a char.

The issue was not solved in today's (15/11's) patch. I probably can't add screenshots due to an old minor issue with steam, STO and screanshots.

OS: Solus (Linux 5.3.10-134.current #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux) - As said, not supported system but I could play right before the 12th of Nov's patch without issues. [In case interested, game updated to last version and runs without crashing by steamplay/proton 4.11-8 (or a different proton build).] Since I am now a newbie user I can't help much more here.

7.8 GiB
Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 8
Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)

Comments

• Options
    Do please check if it may be related to the crashing issues others have - which also seems to not be (at least) fully addressed by the server update or what which was done in that maintenance of 15/11 (sorry can't phrase this well ATM no time but thanks ahead)
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I noticed this too after the Tuesday patch. But that patch also landed a dozen severe to critical bugs so I guess they have their asses full. More than 33,000 files were patched...
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yes, noticed/heard about many crucial/significant bugs since the 12/11, but one is bothering me the most - chat system issue since the same date.

I have something to add, though, even if as said using linux (unsupported system): landing page potential issue - possibly two versions of it. No idea if it's linked to the (linux only?) chat issue/friend list not reconnecting on char switch or to any crash issue others are experiencing in general or Intel/drivers related. elaboration bellow.

While I have no idea if it's linked to any crash of some players/any integrated intel GPU issue (though while I have Intel GPU as noted on the first post here, I don't crash, but instead having a chat system not reconnecting issue/friend list not refreshing after switching a character which "resolves" on a relog,) I found another strange thing which I can't describe accurately:

It looks as if not only I get a landing page on EACH char (as I understand all players do now,) I ALSO seem to get two versions of it or possibly two landing pages with different promotion contents, while doing different actions such as switching a char/possibly login or choosing to view settings. I am yet to be sure if it happens after switching chars* only or on all logins/even on first chosen char, and I can't supply screenshots, but I've noticed different landing page with different promotions on the same login.

*As noted, switching char, even to the same char, gives me an alleged frozen friend list (residue from 1st char's login), along with chat system never reconnect - until relog which "solves" the problem symptomatically for the 1st logged in char only.

The chat system offline/frozen friend list AFTER switching character (even to the same character) issue presents constantly and exactly since 12/11/2019 (Unto the Breach)

_____
    Decided it'd better to put the details here again:

Distribution/OS: Solus (a linux OS distribution)
    Kernel: 5.3.10-134.current #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux
    RAM: 8 GB (other place says 7.8 in practice)
    GPU Driver: 3.0 Mesa 19.2.4
    GPU: Intel UHD 620 (Kabylake GT2)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 8

At the moment using English language for the OS (and game)

Game updated to last version and runs without crashing.
    (But with the chat system won't reconnect (and friend list won't update) on char switch issue as noted)

Using Steam Play/Proton - Proton version is either current (4.11-8) or even one of the recent custom proton forks which works for me - this bug is identical in all. No crashing.

OS is updated with drivers and firmware updated as possible. (rolling linux distribution)

As said, not officially supported system but I could play right before the 12th of Nov's patch without issues. I don't know if linked to the crash bug or landing page but could be. Since I am a newbie I can't help here much more.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    My Linux installation doesn't have these problems, so we can rule out "linux only".

I'm on 5.2.13 kernel, Intel integrated.

I don't use Steam or any other overlays/launchers, though. I launch directly from the game exe file.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    guljarol wrote: »
    My Linux installation doesn't have these problems, so we can rule out "linux only".

I'm on 5.2.13 kernel, Intel integrated.

I don't use Steam or any other overlays/launchers, though. I launch directly from the game exe file.

Thanks. Interesting. wine? version? Do you use playonlinux? used some winetricks? or just vanilla wine?
    I may give it a try if having enough space to test that too (I won't deinstall/reinstall yet). Another option is trying to use other's suggestion of running without steam and steamplay (assuming it runs well by wine) but I thought steamplay made this possible/easy for me to run sto recently. I won't deinstall steam but may find a way (being a newbie) so that it won't look for steam anymore or find it but will do a "cleaner" reinstall (running by wine) elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Since couldn't directly install and use ARC in the most naive way (which didn't work for me as a newbie today. could work for others/in a different way, no matter. trying something else), and then use game.exe to run STO independently, will try other method leemwatson suggested which may lead to a similar result if works.

Steam Play has its uses, it's very useful actually for me too, and is very easy to setup and mostly just works, but if using it is possibly related to the cause of what which bothers me, then I need to try other ways.

As of now "force verifying"/(re)installing the game elsewhere meanwhile using an existing Exe (or in my case, I used a copy of it instead of ripping it) from steam's STO folder as leemwatson suggested, https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13546710/#Comment_13546710 then it will hopefully run by wine (unsure).

Thanks to BOTH Guljarol for suggesting running directly from game.exe , and to leemwatson - who suggested that way actually by initially using my already existing startrekonline.exe from STO steam's install in a new folder, as a start for a new STO stand alone installation (ran by wine here, and from an exe too).

No responsibility for others here, I am just a newbie who decided, on her own responsibility, to try others' nice suggestions...

I do wonder what's happened in two stages: when screenshot and installation folders became messy (again) after it was working and sorted, (game still worked then! just screenshot became a dodgy thing) and what could have happened in the 12/11/2019 which possibly, allegedly, corrupted some steam installation of STO in some ways.

Update: Trying this worked (not in the easiest way but does) but didn't solve the issue/bug I encountered. The issue seems to be chat/team/possibly frozen friend list and team settings related - it just won't reconnect to those at all (beside system channel and maybe voice chat which I don't intend to try) on a character switch or re-selection. Only a relog causes it to reconnect. Same result across proxies/non proxy it seems though sometimes it's easier to connect by some proxies and not others. I just wasted my time.
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    One additional piece of info I can add is that people on my friends list no longer sees my logoff/logon spam while I'm switching chars. This behaviour in combination with the non-working chat is, if I remember correctly, the exact same behaviour we had on ALL clients before Cryptic solved it by forcing logoff/logon on each char switch a few years back. If it's related to this old code or why it doesn't happen to everyone this time, is beyond me.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    One additional piece of info I can add is that people on my friends list no longer sees my logoff/logon spam while I'm switching chars. This behaviour in combination with the non-working chat is, if I remember correctly, the exact same behaviour we had on ALL clients before Cryptic solved it by forcing logoff/logon on each char switch a few years back. If it's related to this old code or why it doesn't happen to everyone this time, is beyond me.
    Thank you very much! It may help us.
    I know though not all people are affected so I don't know what's the difference let alone the issue.

I emphasize for any other reader here that it appeared on 12/11/2019 this time (Unto the Breach patch) which have seem to re-introduced some bugs and also new ones appeared.

I want to add also that yesterday I noticed TEAM tab (will check also search for players since I think it's too) is EMPTY for me when affected, and that team settings won't do anything and won't update beside visibility settings' update yellow line. (other team related yellow updates lines won't appear and won't likely to occur). team/friendlist/chat all seem to be affected, not recoonecting properly - and probably like trekpuppy said it's as if a login process isn't complete for each char, after it was already completed once per real login, as if it didn't quit fully/"rightfully" and then didn't log properly/fully to the next char. Note that once I was invited to a party that way while still the other side (friendlist and fleet member and also steam friend) saw me as being offline and I couldn't see from STO when that player logged off even though he told me in steam he did. (I loggout out from the game shortly after)

As said, friend list seems to be in a frozen set though ONE of those times (I think on first switch after a new setup, possibly before I disabled voice chat? - I don't know.) I saw a note <x friend logged off> etc while still had chat offline. On other times when chat offline I didn't see that join/leave at all even when I was in contact on steam with game and steam friends who joined and left and who also told me they left. On first character switch right after the new setup, it tried to connect me to voice chat (even though I disabled it before) and I disabled it then, but it didn't connect to any (non voice) chat then, and if I recall correctly I only see system message in those situations, can "empty switch" to a private or local chats, yet can't see any text or write any text there, never joined the chat after char re-selection/switch and no "joined zone/fleet chat" message appeared then.

This behavior appears on each re-selection/switch of character, even if selecting again the first one, but doesn't appear on first ("real" login) entering to a character after login. And is symptomatically resolved by reloging. (until next character re-selection or switch)

I do see floating system message for phoenix box or lockbox ships (those which are on "channel" and also floating) but with some full white rectangle avatar/icon on those.

Yesterday I also notice that pressing back from char selection screen, so it logs you out, but doesn't close the game client, and then relogging, helps as if it's a full login/first choosing of a char, which helps a bit as it's preferred on closing the client and reopening it. Maybe this fact will give some troubleshooting piece of info to work with and support the hypothesis of trekpuppy above.

Also, it happens on wine without using steam and on steam (steam play/proton on any relevant version) too for me (Intel GPU and linux, as said, no idea if related, there are non affected people as well on those categories or both).

Again sorry for the length/phrasing and my lack of knowledge. Tried to emphasized a few things so won't be lost.
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    The white rectangle on system messages isn't just you.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The white rectangle on system messages isn't just you.

Understood (didn't know if related or not, but like you said, I now know it isn't related and that it's so also on 1st logged in char),
    though I mentioned it just as an example for the only chat type I can see after a char switch (or re-selection) - system chat.

Since this post was already posted, also wanted to emphasize this is not the case of not allowing tells/chat (or party) etc from non friends/fleet, and that I can't see my own text even when on the channel and even when channel is ticked and also that I am not muted on the channels (can write, and ofc see, text on 1st login char,) and that I can't write to friends/fleet members (whisper) and fleet channel chat also (let alone any other channel/other people) on switched/re-selected char ONLY. (on 1st logged in char I can write and read in channels and whisper/get whispers). Team loot on the left/search for players are like non existing/partially empty (not connected to?) and changing privacy settings seems to have no effect and won't stuck - all beside visibility setting (or party mode/loot setting possibly), and the chat system won't connect at all beside possibly voice chat/showing system messages, (no connection to channels zone/fleet even if ticked, and even though can select private channel - this goes without seeing/being able to type visibly anything there while chosen and ticked, no matter if friends/fleet members or self wrote it,) and that like trekpuppy said, in general (possibly beside one occasion - I am unsure) I can't see friends join/leave notifications as well and friend list is allegedly frozen since first logged in char. Issue still presents as of 26/11 and "solves" symptomatically by relog (in any way), until re-selecting or switching any char.

Also, up to now it seems to affect SOME Linux users but NOT all. I don't know if any windows users are affected, up to now nobody wrote being affected by it beside Linux users, hence wrote (linux only?).
    Similarly regarding Intel GPU - I don't know if related at all, NOT ALL who have Intel GPU are affected (Linux or not,) and no idea if there are others with other GPU who are affected as well.
    If I have some more relevant newbie information regarding d3d11 vs Vulkan I will tell; Also noting in that regard/similar one that while I have an Intel GPU I don't see the errors in Risa and such as others do.

Edited yet again for clarity.