12346»

Comments

• Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    warpangel wrote: »
    loucosta wrote: »
    Whining like a spoiled child that the neighbor's kids could now get the same toys you have isn't exactly constructive.

im not sure calling the people who actually got off their backsides and attended a convention "spoilt children" is going to win you any favours, it might have been their first time, they made it! they got there and the reward was a code to get something shiney, now for the sake of some zen cryptic is selling emotions.
    Being upset upset the neigbhors' kids have the same toys, is acting like a spoiled child.

It's more like the cheapskate kid that whined he didn't participate in opening event or pay any money to obtain the toy so instead he resorts to having a tantrum on the stores floor that results in him getting the item for free from the toy sales clerk.​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    @terranempire#7881 you are making up your own definitions of "limited" and "exclusive" by tacking on "... until the end of time."

These items were limited / exclusive at one time but without any promise by Cryptic that they would be exclusive forever.

You're right though that in the future when Cryptic says "limited" or "exclusive" you need to understand that it means "at this time" not "until the heat death of the universe."
  • Options
    @terranempire#7881 you are making up your own definitions of "limited" and "exclusive" by tacking on "... until the end of time."

These items were limited / exclusive at one time but without any promise by Cryptic that they would be exclusive forever.

You're right though that in the future when Cryptic says "limited" or "exclusive" you need to understand that it means "at this time" not "until the heat death of the universe."

No, it is yourself that is mixing up definitions of what limited promo & unlimited promo means. It doesn't matter if Cryptic no longer values the meaning of the words they write on their articles.​​
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    valoreah wrote: »
    Show you what? You just said it yourself the items were limited.

Yes, I did because it is an accurate statement. Still waiting for you to show anywhere where these "limited" items meant "limited in perpetuity". You're ascribing that incorrect definition to it.

The items going into the Mudd store were limited for a time. Now they aren't anymore.

Show me quotations of Cryptic saying exactly in those words: "LIMITED FOR A TIME" in any of those promotions.

I am going by what they wrote in those articles. Not 'ascribing' incorrect definitions that you and @davefenestrator are making up yourselves . Where are you sources? STILL WAITING... for the quote that says "limited for a time".

ka7l3vB.png

They learned their lesson by not writing"exclusive" & "limited" in most of their future promos to date.​​
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Sniff, sniff. This is just unfathomable, allowing the unwashed masses to be able to partake of the fruits exclusive to the aristocracy. This will surely signal the end of Empire!! ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Sniff, sniff. This is just unfathomable, allowing the unwashed masses to be able to partake of the fruits exclusive to the aristocracy. This will surely signal the end of Empire!! ;)

Your having way too much fun with this aren't you? :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    ltminns wrote: »

1409e3ada1a79e69a10de7155492d7a2.jpg
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Your having way too much fun with this aren't you? :)

yeah-fun-y65pcz.jpg
    ʕ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°ʔ​​
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Whining like a spoiled child that the neighbor's kids could now get the same toys you have isn't exactly constructive.

im not sure calling the people who actually got off their backsides and attended a convention "spoilt children" is going to win you any favours, it might have been their first time, they made it! they got there and the reward was a code to get something shiney, now for the sake of some zen cryptic is selling emotions.
    Being upset upset the neigbhors' kids have the same toys, is acting like a spoiled child.

It's more like the cheapskate kid that whined he didn't participate in opening event or pay any money to obtain the toy so instead he resorts to having a tantrum on the stores floor that results in him getting the item for free from the toy sales clerk.​​
    You're employing a rather... idiosyncratic definition of "free" here.

I'm sorry you no longer feel like a very special snowflake because other people get to play with the same kind of toy you have. Gotta let you in on a little secret, though: I've been playing this game since it went FTP, and I don't think I've seen any of these "very special exclusives" y'all are so worried about having bragging rights over. So your "bragging rights" only ever applied to a very tiny group of people in the first place, which is the first step down the Path of the Hipster. Now you get to take the next step - you had it before it was cool. Congratulations.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    jonsills wrote: »

It's more like the cheapskate kid that whined he didn't participate in opening event or pay any money to obtain the toy so instead he resorts to having a tantrum on the stores floor that results in him getting the item for free from the toy sales clerk.
    You're employing a rather... idiosyncratic definition of "free" here.

I'm sorry you no longer feel like a very special snowflake because other people get to play with the same kind of toy you have. Gotta let you in on a little secret, though: I've been playing this game since it went FTP, and I don't think I've seen any of these "very special exclusives" y'all are so worried about having bragging rights over. So your "bragging rights" only ever applied to a very tiny group of people in the first place, which is the first step down the Path of the Hipster. Now you get to take the next step - you had it before it was cool. Congratulations.

It isn't hard to understand that others can obtain the items from the store using the exchange to trade dil for zen hence it being "free" other than your time.

I am not really sorry for not being that 'special' kid that shared his toys. Maybe if I had Gillette's 'We believe: the best m̶e̶n̶ ̶ boys can be' I would be a better person like you. Oh well... \_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/​​
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    "directly into the C-Store (like the ship and the BOFFs)

It better not be. Event items that were always free. Yes. Paid promos. No.
    normal-5.gif
    Ok, you need to explain this to me because I seriously don't get it.
    Why should people have the ability of paying for something that was previously free but not for something that was never free to begin with?

I mean, I could maybe - and that's a very big maybe - understand if it was the other way around: people getting for free something that others had to pay for. And even then, I would not agree because that's some TRIBBLE attitude to have - and giveaways have always been a thing... why, it happened in my own fleet with the Intel Sci ships bundle. I bought it because I thought it was interesting... not a week later, a giveaway was giving the same exactle bundle for free. I was overjoyed for those that could get it, especially a very good friend of mine which have possibly even more fun than me running around wreaking havoc with GW and all-over-the-place AoE, because the Spore trait is fantastic for that.

And if your objection is because the item was supposedly "exclusive" and/or "limited"... mate, let me ask you something: why does it freaking matters? It's stuff in a game, your life do not depend on it and if all you want are bragging rights well... didn't you have enough time for that? Do you still need more?​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @valoreah said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yes, I did because it is an accurate statement. Still waiting for you to show anywhere where these "limited" items meant "limited in perpetuity". You're ascribing that incorrect definition to it.
    >
    > The items going into the Mudd store were limited for a time. Now they aren't anymore.

Nothing anywhere ever said they were limited or exclusive forever. On top of that the Terms of Service specifically state that Cryptic reserves the right to change anything at any time in STO and terran just like everyone else agreed to those terms when he joined the game.

Nothing anywhere ever said they were "limited for a time" either.

What do you think this was referencing: TOS and Cryptic altering it. Like I said Cryptic can you use whatever sale pitch they want at any time and latter change it. It doesn't exactly fill people with confidence to bother with any other timed promos when all you have to do now is wait for it to go on sale in zen store.
    WelcomeFrayedDugong-size_restricted.gif
    HtuAHFn.gif​​
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2019

If ppl would just stop being so bitter about others having had the audacity to even mention the word 'exclusive,' and just look at Real Life for a moment, they would realize that exclusivity is a actually quite a normal, and effective business tool. For instance, I own several designer handbags. They're exclusive (because of brand/price, etc). I don't mind others having them, but if they suddenly were to give them out, for practically free, in unlimited numbers, then -- my own possible reaction thereto despite -- doing so would seriously undercut their exclusivity. And yes, that would be a bad thing... for them.

Exclusivity is a rather major Economical principle. Half the clothing industry runs on it, for one. People simply want exclusivity. Can be anything: a very exclusive dress, a very rare lockbox vanity shield, getting an exclusive set of holo-boffs for having visited a Trek Convention, having done a special Event, you name it.

Exclusivity simple sells. It's fun even, to have a holo-boff, and knowing you got it for having visited a Convention with other Trekkies. It's one of life's little 'guilty pleasures.' Or me flying around in my gold-plated D'Kora. Now, getting full circle, if a company like Cryptic starts drastically undercutting its own exclusivity (expressed or implied), it will negatively affect their own future promos. Whether that will materially impact their business revenue can be doubted, of course, but it will certainly drain the fun out of their promos to come.

Tl;dr: Don't be so quick to diss exclusivity. It's a solid, proven Economical principle. And it works... but only if the company doesn't get a reputation for renaging on the deal, later on.

N.B. And to those so livid about others allegedly begrudging them their Event ship, remember, there's always the next promo! Like I missed out on that T6 Vulcan ship. Kind of a bummer, but there have been other Events. And that there is another solid and proven Economical princple: you can always catch the next promo! (In fact, that is how normal businesses maintain exclusivity: not by reselling the old stuff, but by enticing you with the next shiny).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

normal-5.gif
    Why should people have the ability of paying for something that was previously free but not for something that was never free to begin with?

I mean, I could maybe - and that's a very big maybe - understand if it was the other way around: people getting for free something that others had to pay for. And even then, I would not agree because that's some TRIBBLE attitude to have - and giveaways have always been a thing... why, it happened in my own fleet with the Intel Sci ships bundle. I bought it because I thought it was interesting... not a week later, a giveaway was giving the same exactle bundle for free. I was overjoyed for those that could get it, especially a very good friend of mine which have possibly even more fun than me running around wreaking havoc with GW and all-over-the-place AoE, because the Spore trait is fantastic for that.

And if your objection is because the item was supposedly "exclusive" and/or "limited"... mate, let me ask you something: why does it freaking matters? It's stuff in a game, your life do not depend on it and if all you want are bragging rights well... didn't you have enough time for that? Do you still need more?

It devalues the item. How long before they start adding lobi ships in that store as well. Doubtful because it makes them too much money ATM by selling their gamble boxes. Let's just say they did though hypothetically. Can you honestly say that you would be happy for little Jimmy to then buy it for $20?

I am all for returning event rewards earned from past in-game events. Not obtaining all rare items for the sake of having it.​​
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @meimeitoo Good luck in teaching these folks what "Rivalry and Excludability" means. normal-42.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus​​
  • Options
    edited November 2019

normal-5.gif

And if your objection is because the item was supposedly "exclusive" and/or "limited"... mate, let me ask you something: why does it freaking matters? It's stuff in a game, your life do not depend on it and if all you want are bragging rights well... didn't you have enough time for that? Do you still need more?

It devalues the item. How long before they start adding lobi ships in that store as well. Doubtful because it makes them too much money ATM by selling their gamble boxes. Let's just say they did though hypothetically. Can you honestly say that you would be happy for little Jimmy to then buy it for $20?

I am all for returning event rewards earned from past in-game events. Not obtaining all rare items for the sake of having it.

It devalues... what? A ship that you couldn't even sell on the Exchange to begin with?
    How, exactly, does it get "devalued" by this? Does it lose a console slot? A weapon? Will its hull get reduced to zero? Will it suddenly lose the ability to equip engines? Will the stations be reduced to a single ensign one?

And yeah, I would be happy "for little Jimmy to then buy it for $20". You wanna know why? Because I'd still have fun using it, if it was something I had and enjoyed! I got an NX-01 - in fact, it's on what's become my main toon, at least for space stuff - and I praised it to anyone that would listen. If anyone, anyone!, in my fleet is gonna have the opportunity of buying it for Zen I will absolutely advise them to do so, help them create a build if they wanted me to and be absolutely happy for them!

TL;DR: you lose absolutely NOTHING from this items - that were previously paid for as "exclusive/limited" - being made available to everyone else.
    And this attitude is a very, very bad one to have... to put it mildly.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    As mentioned already. I would like to see the Dilithium uniforms moved to the Mudd Store as account-wide unlocks. I get it. These things were pricey but very well done. I would be more than happy to pay a slight premium for these awesome outfits.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

normal-5.gif

I am all for returning event rewards earned from past in-game events. Not obtaining all rare items for the sake of having it.

It devalues... what? A ship that you couldn't even sell on the Exchange to begin with?
    How, exactly, does it get "devalued" by this? Does it lose a console slot? A weapon? Will its hull get reduced to zero? Will it suddenly lose the ability to equip engines? Will the stations be reduced to a single ensign one?

And yeah, I would be happy "for little Jimmy to then buy it for $20". You wanna know why? Because I'd still have fun using it, if it was something I had and enjoyed! I got an NX-01 - in fact, it's on what's become my main toon, at least for space stuff - and I praised it to anyone that would listen. If anyone, anyone!, in my fleet is gonna have the opportunity of buying it for Zen I will absolutely advise them to do so, help them create a build if they wanted me to and be absolutely happy for them!

TL;DR: you lose absolutely NOTHING from this items - that were previously paid for as "exclusive/limited" - being made available to everyone else.
    And this attitude is a very, very bad one to have... to put it mildly.

I am just going to leave this here:
    comrade-communism-sharing-me-elimination-of-private-property-new-profile-61339177.png

They're NOT exclusive if EVERYONE & THEIR MOTHER HAS IT. Why is this so difficult to understand.​​
  • Options
    edited November 2019

normal-5.gif

comrade-communism-sharing-me-elimination-of-private-property-new-profile-61339177.png
    Oh. Oh man. Thank you for the laugh. I really needed, now I can go to bed wearing a smile on my face!
    If you wanted to scare me with this, you sorely failed.
    What you did manage to do was to demonstrate that you have absolutely no argument but your own sense of entitlment.

Again, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.
    I will defend the idea that FE rewards should've been made available through the episodes, though, because that's just what sounds fair to me - and the Phoenix Store already have past FTFO rewards, so putting them in an all new store just don't make any sense.
    But paid for "exclusive" stuff? Nope.
    Call it communism all you want, it's not gonna change the fact that you paid for it and now other people will have the same opportunity. And if you're that angry that the price will possibly be lower than what YOU paid for? Then go sabotage every single sale everywhere around the world.

Thank you again for the laugh!

EDIT: they never said they would be exclusive forever. And so what if they aren't anymore? You lose NOTHING by this, for god's sake. How hard is that to understand?​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    edited November 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @terranempire#7881 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Nothing anywhere ever said they were "limited for a time" either.
    >
    > What do you think this was referencing: TOS and Cryptic altering it. Like I said Cryptic can you use whatever sale pitch they want at any time and latter change it. It doesn't exactly fill people with confidence to bother with any other timed promos when all you have to do now is wait for it to go on sale in zen store.
    > (Image)
    >
    >

Nothing Cryptic is doing is any different than any other business in the entire frikin world. Not one single bit. You are simply ranting and demanding something NO COMPANY ON EARTH does.

Those are some shoddy business practises then. Thank you so much reminding me! Let me return the favour by reminding YOU who n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ rants & becomes hysterical in his posts that not every company practices what you're implying that Cryptic does in the entire world. normal-42.gif​​
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited November 2019

normal-5.gif

Oh. Oh man. Thank you for the laugh. I really needed, now I can go to bed wearing a smile on my face!
    If you wanted to scare me with this, you sorely failed.
    What you did manage to do was to demonstrate that you have absolutely no argument but your own sense of entitlment.

Again, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.
    I will defend the idea that FE rewards should've been made available through the episodes, though, because that's just what sounds fair to me - and the Phoenix Store already have past FTFO rewards, so putting them in an all new store just don't make any sense.
    But paid for "exclusive" stuff? Nope.
    Call it communism all you want, it's not gonna change the fact that you paid for it and now other people will have the same opportunity. And if you're that angry that the price will possibly be lower than what YOU paid for? Then go sabotage every single sale everywhere around the world.

Thank you again for the laugh!

EDIT: they never said they would be exclusive forever. And so what if they aren't anymore? You lose NOTHING by this, for god's sake. How hard is that to understand?

I am glad I could make you laugh. It wasn't meant to scare you I just thought it was amusing that you can say all these things while condemning anyone that desires rarity and exclusivity. People like earning unique things that not EVERYONE has. It's perfectly normal thing. For you and rest to say otherwise is hypocrisy.​​
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Time to put these flames out. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.