test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"We are looking into the data for making lock box and phoenix stuff account wide, but..."

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I think a fair way of doing something like this would be to do things similar to how SWTOR handles account unlocks, so that rather than a straight account unlock you instead unlock the ability to purchase account-wide access, possibly with different price tiers as well. Would look something like this:

Phoenix ships: once you have one you may purchase an account unlock for 3000 Zen

Lockbox + Lobi ships: once you have one you may purchase an account unlock for 6000 Zen

Promobox Ships: once you have one you may purchase an account unlock for 9000 Zen

They could also apply a discount for those with multiple copies of the ship across different characters, reducing the cost by 10-30% per copy.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    you really think that stops alphabet soup?

and yes, multimillion dollar equipment has far better resolution and pixel count than a 5 dollar CCTV camera - who knew?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I think a fair way of doing something like this would be to do things similar to how SWTOR handles account unlocks, so that rather than a straight account unlock you instead unlock the ability to purchase account-wide access, possibly with different price tiers as well. Would look something like this:

Phoenix ships: once you have one you may purchase an account unlock for 3000 Zen

Lockbox + Lobi ships: once you have one you may purchase an account unlock for 6000 Zen

Promobox Ships: once you have one you may purchase an account unlock for 9000 Zen

They could also apply a discount for those with multiple copies of the ship across different characters, reducing the cost by 10-30% per copy.

Considering the abysmal drop rate the ships are already expensive enough without that kind of "pay again for what you already have" double-dip nonsense.
  • asha#5521 asha Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    I am all good for making Phoenix boxes account wide as almost all that stuff was originally account wide in the first place and people who came later just missed the opportunity. The regular lockboxes...no, it would basically punish all those who spent billions of EC and sometimes hundreds of dollars to get a ship on a particular character, thus almost be insulting.

Here here! But also, it may infringe on the goals of cryptic in terms of prosperity....
    Would it be in the best interests of the Players AND cryptic to make this kind of move?
    The character binds and such are there for a reason...
    HOWEVER....
    Making certain ITEMS in the P[hoenix event ACCOUNT WIDE, I feel, would be in the best interests of all parties involved.
    Such as the Phoenix Upgrades and Emotes....
    Cryptic desires for more PvP and also to awaken the Club scene....
    If people had greater access to the Emotes, then i couyld see more folks "dancing' and being more interested in the Club Uniform and such.... (which can be purchased amongst other things related....)
    And if the little guy could access these phoenix upgrades by sending them to other toons via their SHARED ACCOUNT slots? Then it may promote purchasing the Elite Account slots, etc....

At the end of the day?
    Everyone would be more happy....and prosperous.
    The phoenix upgrades could be taken by one toon (whom is ur main or whatever) and used as much as possible
    or as desired with said toon,; then account bank sent to another character who is holding equip[ment wqhich is character bound etc, etc, etc....
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Phoenix upgrades are account-wide. You can store them in your account bank.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Considering the abysmal drop rate the ships are already expensive enough without that kind of "pay again for what you already have" double-dip nonsense.
    Also "account wide" access still has to respect factionality rules. So if they go the paid toke unlock route it'd presumably have a variable cost based on that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2019

It would still be an improvement over what we have now, and I think it's very unlikely to happen any other way
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

Bit steep honestly. I'd say cut that by half at least. You also have to consider ship tiers as well as we have T5 and T6 ones. Oh and we do have some shuttles too like the Aeon. 6000 for an Aeon is stupid.
    Yes... there was once a time when we got new shuttles for Lobi. I remember those days long gone...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

Bit steep honestly. I'd say cut that by half at least. You also have to consider ship tiers as well as we have T5 and T6 ones. Oh and we do have some shuttles too like the Aeon. 6000 for an Aeon is stupid.
    Yes... there was once a time when we got new shuttles for Lobi. I remember those days long gone...
    Yeah those numbers are amazingly pessimistic. I doubt that Cryptic would use them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Yeah those numbers are amazingly pessimistic. I doubt that Cryptic would use them.

Was mostly just an example of the concept using the standard cstore price as a guide, but it wouldn't surprise me either if they did price them that high.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    I could see some fee for activating a copy of a lockbox ship on another character in some circumstances (maybe), but doing it with phoenix box ships is more likely to simply discourage people from using them on other characters instead of paying it.

Sure, paying for account unlock level for phoenix box ships may be nice for whales who just buy ships for admiralty cards but the ships themselves tend to be novelty ones from past events rather than ones that make sense for a wide assortment of character concepts so many FtP players simply would not have much incentive to buy that "upgrade" and just use it on one character that it does have pseudo-rp value on.

And sure, there are halfway decent traits or consoles on some of those phoenix box ships, but nothing to write home about so there still would not be a huge demand for account-wide unlock tokens for them unless those tokens were practically free anyway, and that assumes that the player even gets a ship token from the boxes in the first place. The profit from charging for account wide access tokens would be microscopic at best.

Was mostly just an example of the concept using the standard cstore price as a guide, but it wouldn't surprise me either if they did price them that high.
    9000 for a single ship that might be Federation only? I dunno about that. Especially given that you need the ship itself first. I agree with you conceptually, I just think your numbers are too high.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @equinox976 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Oh, that's easy. ARC already has a wide database of players faces, captured over their webcams :)
    >
    > Speaking of which...
    > (Image)

That is illegal.
    you really think that stops alphabet soup?

and yes, multimillion dollar equipment has far better resolution and pixel count than a 5 dollar CCTV camera - who knew?​​

Wow, you guys are very literal!

I guess my dry sense of humor doesn't translate very well across the interwebs :)
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    I could see some fee for activating a copy of a lockbox ship on another character in some circumstances (maybe), but doing it with phoenix box ships is more likely to simply discourage people from using them on other characters instead of paying it.
    I think it would be quite the contrary, actually. Also, having the possibility of unlocking a phonix box ship for the entire account would encourage to open more boxes in the hope of getting the token(s) needed for them
    Sure, paying for account unlock level for phoenix box ships may be nice for whales who just buy ships for admiralty cards but the ships themselves tend to be novelty ones from past events rather than ones that make sense for a wide assortment of character concepts so many FtP players simply would not have much incentive to buy that "upgrade" and just use it on one character that it does have pseudo-rp value on.
    I'm not a whale and I'd buy it, if I ever was so lucky as to get a token that could allow me to buy at least one of the ships I wanted from the phoenix store.
    And as far as "character concepts" and "pseudo-rp" values goes... I understand that there are many who likes to rp with their characters, but there are just as many that don't care (and many that don't go past lore stuff - something like "I made a Cardassian toon, so I need a Cardassian ship armed with spiral-wave/disruptor") and of all the rp-players that I know? Pretty much all of them spent a ton of Zen/resources to get the perfect ship for their toon(s).
    And sure, there are halfway decent traits or consoles on some of those phoenix box ships, but nothing to write home about so there still would not be a huge demand for account-wide unlock tokens for them unless those tokens were practically free anyway, and that assumes that the player even gets a ship token from the boxes in the first place. The profit from charging for account wide access tokens would be microscopic at best.
    Debatable. There are good consoles and good traits that are, indeed, something "to write home about". It all depends on what you - personally - consider "worthy" of buying.
    I agree that the chances of getting the ships are not that high, but that's that.
    Without numbers to support neither the "it would sell well" side nor the "it would not sell well" one, it's really hard to say how that would go.
    I'd very much like to have the option to unlock phoenix ships, even though I don't posses any at the moment, but I won't go as far as saying that it would be sell well.
    And really, what harm can it come from this? That they create something and it doesn't go as well as they planned? As if that never happened before.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    I think it would be quite the contrary, actually. Also, having the possibility of unlocking a phonix box ship for the entire account would encourage to open more boxes in the hope of getting the token(s) needed for them
    I'm not a whale and I'd buy it, if I ever was so lucky as to get a token that could allow me to buy at least one of the ships I wanted from the phoenix store.
    And as far as "character concepts" and "pseudo-rp" values goes... I understand that there are many who likes to rp with their characters, but there are just as many that don't care (and many that don't go past lore stuff - something like "I made a Cardassian toon, so I need a Cardassian ship armed with spiral-wave/disruptor") and of all the rp-players that I know? Pretty much all of them spent a ton of Zen/resources to get the perfect ship for their toon(s).
    Debatable. There are good consoles and good traits that are, indeed, something "to write home about". It all depends on what you - personally - consider "worthy" of buying.
    I agree that the chances of getting the ships are not that high, but that's that.
    Without numbers to support neither the "it would sell well" side nor the "it would not sell well" one, it's really hard to say how that would go.
    I'd very much like to have the option to unlock phoenix ships, even though I don't posses any at the moment, but I won't go as far as saying that it would be sell well.
    And really, what harm can it come from this? That they create something and it doesn't go as well as they planned? As if that never happened before.

I am not against the idea of opening phoenix box ships up to account wide use (the opposite in fact), I just do not think the way to go about it is to lock it behind a paywall on top of the extreme rarity.

Out of hundreds of phoenix boxes I have only ever gotten one UR token, and I have been holding onto it since I have several possible uses for it (like for instance getting the Risan cruiser for the console that goes with the one from the latest summer event ship) but I have yet to decide which single character could use it best.

If I had one epic instead that would have been easy, before I found out just how rotten the odds are of getting the T6 level the fact that both the Samsar and the Kobali uniforms are phoenix box items inspired me to make a Kobali character (who flies a Chronos at the moment) so the Samsar is a shoo-in if I ever happen to get an epic token. I spent a lot of dil on the boxes so far, but the low odds are not conducive to spending any more on them than is strictly necessary for upgrades (and a ship card or doff now and then) so I have cut back quite a bit.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    You have better odds getting a Lockbox or Promotion Ship out of the box (not Exchange,), than you do of getting a formerly 'free' Event Ship from the Phoenix Store.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    You have better odds getting a Lockbox or Promotion Ship out of the box (not Exchange,), than you do of getting a formerly 'free' Event Ship from the Phoenix Store.

Yeah. That's one of the reasons people want the Phoenix box ships to be account wide unlocks. The drop rate of epic tokens is just too damn low to justify making the ships purchased with it single character unlocks.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Perhaps.

Then again, at current dilex rate you can buy 12+ phoenix packs for the price of one lockbox key, so it evens out. ;)
    edited November 2019
    warpangel wrote: »
    Perhaps.

Then again, at current dilex rate you can buy 12+ phoenix packs for the price of one lockbox key, so it evens out. ;)

Actually, Warpangel's statement is literally true according to tests people have run. The average for lockbox ships is apparently about 1 ship in 250 tries, whereas the phoenix ones run around twice that or so for the T5u tokens and about 1 in 1200 to 1500 boxes for the T6s. Of course, those are the statistical averages, in theory you could get a T6 in the very first phoenix box you ever open or you could never get one ever depending on random chance.
  • asha#5521 asha Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    > @echatty said:
    > Phoenix upgrades are account-wide. You can store them in your account bank.

Havana okay. Because last year when there was 2 Phoenix events, I couldn't do it myself.
    I guess it was a bug....
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    What need to be account wide are lobi items. seriously, at the costs involved in getting them via lobi, it's an insult that they are character bound.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    "Insult?" The hyperbole is strong with this one. That, or you're overly sensitive to be actually insulted. But I do agree that Lobi items should be account unlocks.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    "Insult?" The hyperbole is strong with this one. That, or you're overly sensitive to be actually insulted. But I do agree that Lobi items should be account unlocks.

Yeah, while I agree that given the cost of lobi items it would be nice to have them account bound.. I can't honestly say I have ever felt offended by it. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    asha#5521 wrote: »
    > @echatty said:

Havana okay. Because last year when there was 2 Phoenix events, I couldn't do it myself.
    I guess it was a bug....

I've been storing the upgrades in my acct bank for several years now. The tokens to get them are also acct bound, so you can shoot them to others on your acct through the acct bank.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    asha#5521 wrote: »
    > @echatty said:

I guess it was a bug....

Odd, I've never missed a Phoenix event and I've also always stored the tokens and the upgrades in my account bank.

You might have been doing something like trying to swap an existing item in the account bank with a Phoenix tech upgrade stack in your R&D tab. That won't work because it would mean moving the other item into your R&D tab. You'd need to do it in 2 steps: move the banked item into regular inventory, then move the tokens from the R&D tab to the now empty slot in the bank.
  • philexanphilexan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I'm ok with ships being "bound to character", but what I really would like is having traits and consoles be "account unlocked". Just my 2 cents anyway.
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Lockbox ships/Lobi and phoenix ships should have always been account wide. Traits/ship traits should be as well. Stuff that is super super low drop or insane cost to get should be account wide. I mean if someone is going to go THAT far to pay into your business, kinda least you could do. It encourages the customer to go for more ships as each ship now has a bigger bang for buck.

Single character unlock - Short term revenue plan. Account wide - Long term revenue plan. At least thats how I see it. Reason I never went after the super expensive billion credit ships, could not justify the cost of that for a single character. Account wide that might change things.
This discussion has been closed.