test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"We are looking into the data for making lock box and phoenix stuff account wide, but..."

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    sci321 wrote: »
    The game will never explain the how's of getting a gamblebox ship thats not via a gamblebox.

Among the list there is always a bullet point near the top that specifies weather the ship is from the Lock Box or the Lobi Store.

As I said they don't tell you how to get a ship that's not via a gamblebox, they never mention the option to trade for it with other players either face to face or via the exchange. Neither do the wiki sections for lockbox based stuff (at least not currently). If they are being deliberately vague then it is by their choice and with the incentive that folk will gamble for the ships its obvious that choice of omission will stay.

There are three lines that say an item can't be traded.
    1. bind on pickup
    2. bound to character
    3. bound to account
    If an item doesn't have one of the above, it CAN. BE. TRADED! NO EXCEPTIONS! Plus, right clicking and selecting more details on the items that grant the lock box/lobi/promo pack ships has a line AT THE VERY TOP that clearly says the ship is currently packed up and can be traded. Again, your fault for not using the available resources, not the developer's fault for being vague.

Keep in mind anyone who has never won a ship doesn't know how winning a ship works without reading about it.

No one randomly guesses to search the reward pack category in the exchange in hopes of finding a tradeable ship. It isn't even obvious what to search for if you do know a ship can be sold on the exchange. Logically you might search for "Ship" and you get a bunch of ship traits, but no ships.

The reward announcement also doesn't suggest what the winner will do with their ship box, like whether they will keep it or sell it, so anyone unaware they can be sold reasonably assumes they are just keeping the ship. It might actually be better if the announcement told you when it was put on the exchange and when finally opened.
    I tend to have a little more faith in human intelligence than that.

What does intelligence have to do with it? It isn't apparent how any of it works. You have to find some relevant info somewhere to clue you into it.

Personally I forgot how to search for ships after a couple years break from the game. I didn't know what to search for, and couldn't figure it out until I went to the wiki to look up what the boxes were called. It isn't hard, but it sure isn't intuitive.
    Go to the exchange, type the name of a ship, click search. I certainly never needed to find "info" somewhere to figure that out. Nor the fact that reward packs are in the reward pack category.

With the exception of a few unusually-named multi-faction choice boxes (that I do indeed agree should be named in the release announcements), all the ship boxes are named after either the ship itself or the lockbox it came from.

But then, I also think that looking stuff up on the wiki is entirely intuitive and obvious. As is googling stuff.

Yes, if you're looking for a specific ship, but if you just want to see what is on the market, that doesn't help at all.

If you want to know what's on the market, the search term [T6] covers everything exciting except the choice boxes.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The game will never explain the how's of getting a gamblebox ship thats not via a gamblebox.

Among the list there is always a bullet point near the top that specifies weather the ship is from the Lock Box or the Lobi Store.

As I said they don't tell you how to get a ship that's not via a gamblebox, they never mention the option to trade for it with other players either face to face or via the exchange. Neither do the wiki sections for lockbox based stuff (at least not currently). If they are being deliberately vague then it is by their choice and with the incentive that folk will gamble for the ships its obvious that choice of omission will stay.

1. bind on pickup
    2. bound to character
    3. bound to account
    If an item doesn't have one of the above, it CAN. BE. TRADED! NO EXCEPTIONS! Plus, right clicking and selecting more details on the items that grant the lock box/lobi/promo pack ships has a line AT THE VERY TOP that clearly says the ship is currently packed up and can be traded. Again, your fault for not using the available resources, not the developer's fault for being vague.

Keep in mind anyone who has never won a ship doesn't know how winning a ship works without reading about it.

No one randomly guesses to search the reward pack category in the exchange in hopes of finding a tradeable ship. It isn't even obvious what to search for if you do know a ship can be sold on the exchange. Logically you might search for "Ship" and you get a bunch of ship traits, but no ships.

The reward announcement also doesn't suggest what the winner will do with their ship box, like whether they will keep it or sell it, so anyone unaware they can be sold reasonably assumes they are just keeping the ship. It might actually be better if the announcement told you when it was put on the exchange and when finally opened.

What does intelligence have to do with it? It isn't apparent how any of it works. You have to find some relevant info somewhere to clue you into it.

Personally I forgot how to search for ships after a couple years break from the game. I didn't know what to search for, and couldn't figure it out until I went to the wiki to look up what the boxes were called. It isn't hard, but it sure isn't intuitive.
    Go to the exchange, type the name of a ship, click search. I certainly never needed to find "info" somewhere to figure that out. Nor the fact that reward packs are in the reward pack category.

With the exception of a few unusually-named multi-faction choice boxes (that I do indeed agree should be named in the release announcements), all the ship boxes are named after either the ship itself or the lockbox it came from.

But then, I also think that looking stuff up on the wiki is entirely intuitive and obvious. As is googling stuff.

Yes, if you're looking for a specific ship, but if you just want to see what is on the market, that doesn't help at all.

If you want to know what's on the market, the search term [T6] covers everything exciting except the choice boxes.

Yes its very useful to do that, but you still have to know that bit of info. You also have to know that you can find them on the market.

That's really my point here, as the other person came into the thread and was aware of none of this, having gotten frustrated that they can't win a ship after opening boxes. It isn't obvious the ships can be found on the exchange, nor how to find them there.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Back on topic a wee bit more, consoles are getting a top end phoenix token for an account unlock instead of the t6 ship token so that might be how this is going to work moving forward.

If there were 3 clusters of events a year each rewarding a token to unlock either a single store, phoenix or gamblebox ship then it'd not make much of a dent in the income gained from whales burning cash on keys and R&D trashboxes.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    I love this reddit comment:

"We are looking into the data for making lock box and phoenix stuff account wide but don't have anything to announce."

Translation: We're making a shitton of money and this'll never happen, but Legal hasn't signed off on the "are you out of your minds" verbiage.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Back on topic a wee bit more, consoles are getting a top end phoenix token for an account unlock instead of the t6 ship token so that might be how this is going to work moving forward.

If there were 3 clusters of events a year each rewarding a token to unlock either a single store, phoenix or gamblebox ship then it'd not make much of a dent in the income gained from whales burning cash on keys and R&D trashboxes.
    The phoenix token as an event reward only works for the console version, because it has phoenix ships that have never been run on an event. On PC, old players already have all the ships.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

1. bind on pickup
    2. bound to character
    3. bound to account

It's only simple to us because we KNOW that stuff. There are plenty of people that are new, inexperienced, or just really casual that aren't as familiar as we are with how things work or what exact terms to search for on the exchange. Is it their "fault" for not taking the initiative to search out the information? Maybe. But even so, Cryptic certainly does not advertise the fact that you can get lock box ships on the exchange. Why? Because they WANT people to think that they have to gamble to get them (so they will).

Basically, don't be such a condescending high-horse person. Not everyone knows as much as you do about how stuff works in video games.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    1. bind on pickup
    2. bound to character
    3. bound to account
    It's only simple to us because we KNOW that stuff. There are plenty of people that are new, inexperienced, or just really casual that aren't as familiar as we are with how things work or what exact terms to search for on the exchange. Is it their "fault" for not taking the initiative to search out the information? Maybe. But even so, Cryptic certainly does not advertise the fact that you can get lock box ships on the exchange. Why? Because they WANT people to think that they have to gamble to get them (so they will).

Basically, don't be such a condescending high-horse person. Not everyone knows as much as you do about how stuff works in video games.
    Realistically, anyone who pays attention to the tutorial would have figured out how binding works pretty quickly. The game tells you that you can trade stuff and shows you at least one of the ways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @markhawkman said:
    > (Quote)
    > Realistically, anyone who pays attention to the tutorial would have figured out how binding works pretty quickly. The game tells you that you can trade stuff and shows you at least one of the ways.

Context is for kings. And the context of these comments about bound items is NOT about some tutorial garbage items, but about whether it is clearly understood that lockbox ships are not bound to character before being opened, and can be bought on the exchange. I maintain that that fact is not clearly understood by many people in game, and that it is actually in Cryptics own interest to keep it that way. That being the case, there is no need for anyone to be condescending to those who arent video game experts.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    > @markhawkman said:
    > (Quote)
    > Realistically, anyone who pays attention to the tutorial would have figured out how binding works pretty quickly. The game tells you that you can trade stuff and shows you at least one of the ways.

Context is for kings. And the context of these comments about bound items is NOT about some tutorial garbage items, but about whether it is clearly understood that lockbox ships are not bound to character before being opened, and can be bought on the exchange. I maintain that that fact is not clearly understood by many people in game, and that it is actually in Cryptics own interest to keep it that way. That being the case, there is no need for anyone to be condescending to those who arent video game experts.
    Um, so you're saying that you're not saying anything except that maybe some people don't know a thing, but you're not sure?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2019
    What I'm "saying" is clearly stated in my posts, so there is no need to play the silly "so you're saying?" game.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    Or you both could just knock it off.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    edited November 2019

I think what BM is REALLY trying to say is:
    Command knock it off "stop it" is first recorded 1880, perhaps from auctioneer's term for "dispose of quickly:"

... if no body bid, after it was cried two or three times, he would say, knock it off, knock it off. [U.S. Senate record, 1834]

So in essence, Nagus and Mark are going to be sold to the highest bidder as living statues, if they do not behave.

I could of course be wrong...
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > Or you both could just knock it off.

Sorry, I dont know what you are talking about. Feel free to PM me if you want.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @equinox976 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I think what BM is REALLY trying to say is:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > So in essence, Nagus and Mark are going to be sold to the highest bidder as living statues, if they do not behave.
    >
    > I could of course be wrong...

But only if you know how to search for them on the exchange....how many EC do you think they'll fetch?
    I wouldn't mind if I could place them on my Ferengi captains bridge.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    > @equinox976 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I think what BM is REALLY trying to say is:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > So in essence, Nagus and Mark are going to be sold to the highest bidder as living statues, if they do not behave.
    >
    > I could of course be wrong...

But only if you know how to search for them on the exchange....how many EC do you think they'll fetch?
    I wouldn't mind if I could place them on my Ferengi captains bridge.

I don't know how much they would go for in EC, but in another universe Jabba the Hut had to have paid more than 300,000 imperial credits for his original Carbonite Solo wall hanging or Fett would have taken the imperial bounty instead...
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »

I think what BM is REALLY trying to say is:
    Command knock it off "stop it" is first recorded 1880, perhaps from auctioneer's term for "dispose of quickly:"

... if no body bid, after it was cried two or three times, he would say, knock it off, knock it off. [U.S. Senate record, 1834]

So in essence, Nagus and Mark are going to be sold to the highest bidder as living statues, if they do not behave.

I could of course be wrong...

You own me a new keyb, for the coffee spilled, sir!.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User

1. bind on pickup
    2. bound to character
    3. bound to account

Yes its very useful to do that, but you still have to know that bit of info. You also have to know that you can find them on the market.

That's really my point here, as the other person came into the thread and was aware of none of this, having gotten frustrated that they can't win a ship after opening boxes. It isn't obvious the ships can be found on the exchange, nor how to find them there.

Actually, the original comment was only about the game being vague about the fact that the Vengeance can't be directly awarded by the lock box. Something that, as I have pointed out, is not the case.
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I don't know how much they would go for in EC, but in another universe Jabba the Hut had to have paid more than 300,000 imperial credits for his original Carbonite Solo wall hanging or Fett would have taken the imperial bounty instead...

Now THERE is finally the perfect use of our gpl stocks...statues of other characters to decorate our throne rooms...I mean bridges, totally meant bridges.
    I bid 10,000 gpl for the pair!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

Now THERE is finally the perfect use of our gpl stocks

I wish they'd move the DL outfits into a GPL store.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Don't some of the phoenix ships predate account unlocking event ships.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Don't some of the phoenix ships predate account unlocking event ships.

Yes, but they retroactively made them account unlocks at some point.
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I don't know how much they would go for in EC, but in another universe Jabba the Hut had to have paid more than 300,000 imperial credits for his original Carbonite Solo wall hanging or Fett would have taken the imperial bounty instead...

Now THERE is finally the perfect use of our gpl stocks...statues of other characters to decorate our throne rooms...I mean bridges, totally meant bridges.
    OOH! a statue of another player that you beat in PvP! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    We should totally have throne rooms.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    They are still thinking about it right?
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Sweat has been pouring off their brows as they furiously contemplate the issue. Many a sleepless night, tossing and turning as they ponder. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Sweat has been pouring off their brows as they furiously contemplate the issue. Many a sleepless night, tossing and turning as they ponder. ;)

They have thought about it... and decided...........

giphy.gif
    JH4s.gif
    Furiously pondering "how do we make money off of the goodwill this could generate?"
    Then curling their mustaches and giving a hearty evil laugh!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    But how would Cryptic gets 3D scans of the player?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited November 2019
    But how would Cryptic gets 3D scans of the player?

Oh, that's easy. ARC already has a wide database of players faces, captured over their webcams :)

Speaking of which...
    picture-from-mars-picture-fromany-bank-surveillance-44465676.png
This discussion has been closed.