test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

is this game alive?

2»

Comments

  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,960 Arc User
    Well, Dr. Crusher said on the matter:
    The broadest scientific definition might be that life is what enables plants and animals to consume food, derive energy from it, grow, adapt themselves to their surroundings, and reproduce.

    I guess one could argue that the game is consuming player time to derive energy, and it adapts itself (if we consider the dev team as part of the game) to better fit its surroundings. But does it reproduce?

    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,485 Arc User
    Everytime it is downloaded.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    truewarper wrote: »
    There is no proof that i'm technically alive..

    Can I have your stuff??

    When science determines that, we can talk :smiley:
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,607 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

    Saved me the trouble. :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Yes.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,257 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    We do what we must because we can,
    For the good of all of us...
    Except the ones who are dead.

    [video]
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,870 Arc User
    The game would never be a skynet style threat if it did gain "sentience" And even then it'd probably only infect systems that control traffic lights and electronic billboards to bombard folk with annoying flashy TRIBBLE.

    Possibly also adding a rubberband "feature" into selfdriving cars
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,607 Arc User
    edited November 2019

    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

    Thought I'd try making to joke reply go the other direction. :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Thought I'd try making to joke reply go the other direction. :smiley:
    Needs more tomatoes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,960 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Define alive. If you mean people online...yeah it's still hanging in there. If you mean people to play with...yeah not so much.

    There are still way too many... Go into the Voth Contested Zone in the Dyson Sphere to get a Voth kill endeavour done, and there are constantly people around cleaning the control points from Voth and capturing the points. Try to take out those Voth Citadel ships that spawn in, and half ot hem are already done by someone else when you finish the second (sometimes even after the first, if you have to fly long distance to get to their spawn point). It's crazy that there are still so many people constantly doing the control points there, the rewards aren't that good, are they?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    It's crazy that there are still so many people constantly doing the control points there, the rewards aren't that good, are they?
    The rewards aren't that good, but that is a go-to spot for many people trying to get Voth kill endeavors.

    The endeavor system in general has drawn people to many areas of the game that weren't being played that often. I'm still surprised to go on Nimbus and see 3 instances of it running when before you were lucky to see even just one instance half full.

    if there is a useful reason to do something, people tend to do it. you just need something "unique" for something to get people to play it ;)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 4,403 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    The game would never be a skynet style threat if it did gain "sentience" And even then it'd probably only infect systems that control traffic lights and electronic billboards to bombard folk with annoying flashy TRIBBLE.

    Possibly also adding a rubberband "feature" into selfdriving cars

    Bite your tongue! There is too much "rubber band" in the game already... :D
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,064 Arc User
    Its dead Jim. :)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Some of the endeavors are unique to Nimbus, "Kill Gorn on Nimbus" for example. Some are just hard to find elsewhere, like sandworms and scorpions. You CAN find them elsewhere, but Nimbus has far larger numbers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    From what I see in game and on the forums, its alive, but not as alive as it used to be.
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @fred26291#2759 said:
    > Its dead Jim. :)

    Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a dev!
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    echatty wrote: »
    Glad I'm not playing ESO right now, sounds awful.

    Came back from ESO and decided to take the opportunity here to talk some smack about it. Horrible lag aside, I maxed cp810+, done all endgame veteran-dlc-content, and pvp etc, and realized the game is an overpriced mess. Constant patch nerfing (in a very bad way) killed half the population (some say), and effectively rendering end-game veteran DLC content impossible to pug at the moment (their forums speak for themselves). Sort of the opposite of what's going on here -- STO is too easy, but I'll take too easy over barren any day.

    So ESO is basically marked for death from now because the single player questing and housing is too boring to sustain it, and with laggy PvP, chaotic meta changes, and the uttermost PvE end-game content basically "locked" right now, except only for the top 5% pre-groups, it's a "bye bye" for sure. I enjoy a decent amount of difficulty, but this goes too far, because I'm not always in the mood to LFM "pro" pre-groups from various zones and specialized guilds in order to play what was once mostly puggable content. I hope ESO and its abysmal Crown Store will sink into the fires of Gre'thor completely, for even the worst of Ferengis dare not enter into such greed. Mayhap some of the STO leavers there will return here.

    P.S LA-Weaving is the dumbest bug-that-became-a-compulsory-feature/mechanic ever. (You can look it up what that means).
    Post edited by tremere12 on
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,257 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    tremere12 wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    Glad I'm not playing ESO right now, sounds awful.

    Came back from ESO and decided to take the opportunity here to talk some smack about it. Horrible lag aside, I maxed cp810+, done all endgame veteran-dlc-content, and pvp etc, and realized the game is an overpriced mess. Constant patch nerfing (in a very bad way) killed half the population (some say), and effectively rendering end-game veteran DLC content impossible to pug at the moment (their forums speak for themselves). Sort of the opposite of what's going on here -- STO is too easy, but I'll take too easy over barren any day.

    So ESO is basically marked for death from now because the single player questing and housing is too boring to sustain it, and with laggy PvP, chaotic meta changes, and the uttermost PvE end-game content basically "locked" right now, except only for the top 5% pre-groups, it's a "bye bye" for sure. I enjoy a decent amount of difficulty, but this goes too far, because I'm not always in the mood to LFM "pro" pre-groups from various zones and specialized guilds in order to play what was once mostly puggable content. I hope ESO and its abysmal Crown Store will sink into the fires of Gre'thor completely, for even the worst of Ferengis dare not enter into such greed. Mayhap some of the STO leavers there will return here.

    P.S LA-Weaving is the dumbest bug-that-became-a-compulsory-feature/mechanic ever. (You can look it up what that means).


    So... you played all the content of ESO, and then got bored and left.

    And your evidence that they game is dying, is that 'some say', that half the population has gone?...

    Forbes reported relatively recently that ESO has 13.5 million players...

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidjagneaux/2019/06/14/elder-scrolls-online-13-5-million-elsweyr/#447a8c6ca421


    Even at it's peak STO reported numbers of around 5.2 million players:

    https://massivelyop.com/2018/01/24/star-trek-online-claims-5-2m-players-over-its-lifespan

    So it seems strange to me that you would describe ESO as 'barren'.
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    equinox976 wrote: »
    tremere12 wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    Glad I'm not playing ESO right now, sounds awful.

    Came back from ESO and decided to take the opportunity here to talk some smack about it. Horrible lag aside, I maxed cp810+, done all endgame veteran-dlc-content, and pvp etc, and realized the game is an overpriced mess. Constant patch nerfing (in a very bad way) killed half the population (some say), and effectively rendering end-game veteran DLC content impossible to pug at the moment (their forums speak for themselves). Sort of the opposite of what's going on here -- STO is too easy, but I'll take too easy over barren any day.

    So ESO is basically marked for death from now because the single player questing and housing is too boring to sustain it, and with laggy PvP, chaotic meta changes, and the uttermost PvE end-game content basically "locked" right now, except only for the top 5% pre-groups, it's a "bye bye" for sure. I enjoy a decent amount of difficulty, but this goes too far, because I'm not always in the mood to LFM "pro" pre-groups from various zones and specialized guilds in order to play what was once mostly puggable content. I hope ESO and its abysmal Crown Store will sink into the fires of Gre'thor completely, for even the worst of Ferengis dare not enter into such greed. Mayhap some of the STO leavers there will return here.

    P.S LA-Weaving is the dumbest bug-that-became-a-compulsory-feature/mechanic ever. (You can look it up what that means).


    So... you played all the content of ESO, and then got bored and left.

    And your evidence that they game is dying, is that 'some say', that half the population has gone?...

    Forbes reported relatively recently that ESO has 13.5 million players...

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidjagneaux/2019/06/14/elder-scrolls-online-13-5-million-elsweyr/#447a8c6ca421


    Even at it's peak STO reported numbers of around 5.2 million players:

    https://massivelyop.com/2018/01/24/star-trek-online-claims-5-2m-players-over-its-lifespan

    So it seems strange to me that you would describe ESO as 'barren'.

    Old news.

    Dead accounts don't count.

    It still has more players than STO because its franchise is "holding it together", but it's in decline regardless.

    I quit because I consider it the worst MMO ever the way it is right now - not 6 months ago - although it wasn't terrific then either. You would know what I'm talking about if you really played through the game.
    Post edited by tremere12 on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Lol, literally the FIRST reply in that thread was to say that it's a doom thread. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    Lol, literally the FIRST reply in that thread was to say that it's a doom thread. :p

    And yet the thread goes on and on - if it wasn't true, it would've been lasting only 2 pages.

    fanboys will be fanboys.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    tremere12 wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    Glad I'm not playing ESO right now, sounds awful.

    Came back from ESO and decided to take the opportunity here to talk some smack about it. Horrible lag aside, I maxed cp810+, done all endgame veteran-dlc-content, and pvp etc, and realized the game is an overpriced mess. Constant patch nerfing (in a very bad way) killed half the population (some say), and effectively rendering end-game veteran DLC content impossible to pug at the moment (their forums speak for themselves). Sort of the opposite of what's going on here -- STO is too easy, but I'll take too easy over barren any day.

    So ESO is basically marked for death from now because the single player questing and housing is too boring to sustain it, and with laggy PvP, chaotic meta changes, and the uttermost PvE end-game content basically "locked" right now, except only for the top 5% pre-groups, it's a "bye bye" for sure. I enjoy a decent amount of difficulty, but this goes too far, because I'm not always in the mood to LFM "pro" pre-groups from various zones and specialized guilds in order to play what was once mostly puggable content. I hope ESO and its abysmal Crown Store will sink into the fires of Gre'thor completely, for even the worst of Ferengis dare not enter into such greed. Mayhap some of the STO leavers there will return here.

    P.S LA-Weaving is the dumbest bug-that-became-a-compulsory-feature/mechanic ever. (You can look it up what that means).


    I played ESO very casually for a while, most of what you say I don't know much about and never cared about. It took me a long time to understand what LA weaving was but when I figured it out I immediately knew it was stupid.

    However, for my enjoyment in that game, I really liked the thieving and murder mechanics, which are entirely solo PVE things for those that don't know, and to be my main murdery thief character I made an obvious choice: the wood elf with their bonus to stealth, which is backed up by 30 years of lore as I'm told. Now you know exactly where this is going if you were playing ESO early this year.

    For everyone else, they decided early this year to change the racial bonuses of all the races in ESO. Wood elves lost their stealth bonus entirely and it was replaced with some ridiculous rolypoly dodgy mechanic. As a long time thief, I noticed this loss of stealth immediately. Suddenly my wood elf was as stealthy as a Nord or Orc, and the only race with any stealth bonus was the cats.

    Keep in mind this wasn't a nerf, like reducing a bonus or lowering damage output, but it was a total removal. It would be like STO removing cloaking devices from Romulan ships and giving them Rock and Roll from pilot specialization instead. Anyone who built their characters around using that cloak would be told something like, "go play a Klingon ship if you want cloak."

    Virtually no one really liked the rolypoly thing either, nor was it ever explained why they were mutually exclusive, why they couldn't have a stealth bonus and the rolypoly nonsense, as the rolypoly thing was mainly useful for PVP and high end PVE while the stealth bonus was really only important for the thieving and murdering solo play, nor did they explain why they were contradicting the established lore.

    After that, I coincidentally found a lot more time to play STO again.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 4,403 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    The "one Tamriel" concept is what makes it viable I think, even with the Basic+Morrowind level there is quite a lot to do and wander around in. Endgame does look like it is rather cramped though (I have not made it there yet so I cannot say for sure). As for weaving, it is not too bad and I was doing it before I knew it was a thing just because I tend to be rather frenetic in combat naturally, it is nowhere near as frustrating as the storage squeeze racket or the constant disconnects.

    I did expect it to be more versatile than it is though, the "one stat" meta for everything but tanks is disappointing to me since I tended toward what ESO calls hybrid types nowadays when I played way back in the old disc based Daggerfall.

    STO's longevity probably has some of the same basis as the "one Tamriel" level balancing, though it is almost more of a lobby game than an open-world one like ESO in overall structure (and it is nice that Cryptic was able to make it feel less like a lobby game, that is not an easy thing to do with that kind of structure).
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tremere12 wrote: »
    Lol, literally the FIRST reply in that thread was to say that it's a doom thread. :p
    And yet the thread goes on and on - if it wasn't true, it would've been lasting only 2 pages.

    fanboys will be fanboys.
    AHAHAAHAHAAHA!!!! As if truthfulness has anything to do with thread longevity. :p Page 12 has people arguing over how to decide if the ideas expressed by the other players matter. "does it matter how many people do raids daily?" or are end-game raids the core metric by which we should gauge the size of the player base?

    ahahahaha!!!!! It's a 12 page thread because people don't agree with the OP and the OP keeps talking. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    Part of what people are seeing in the game is the same problem people were seeing back in the hey day of Everquest. There were so many zones that people would go to a zone, see no one, or one person, and be convinced there's no one playing the game. Yet there were tons of people in the game. Just not right next to where they were.

    I see the same thing in STO today. Like when I go to Dyson and I'm fighting alone for some time. Then a few other people show up. And then I end up in a final battle with the dinosaur and suddenly there's an army of people fighting alongside me.

    And then I don't see them again.

    Weird phenomenon.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,789 Community Moderator
    Goodbye doom thread. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.