test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Endeavors %

quickdraw74quickdraw74 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
Probably going to be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it. Will any of the percentages apply to skills that have 0 points spent in them?

Example: You have 0 points spent on shield hardness. If you add 4% to it, does it do anything for the skill? Last time I checked 4% of zero is zero.

I just don't want to waste a perk point on a skill that will never benefit from it.

Best Answers

Answers

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Probably going to be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it. Will any of the percentages apply to skills that have 0 points spent in them?
    Yes. Zero plus anything is no longer zero.
    Example: You have 0 points spent on shield hardness. If you add 4% to it, does it do anything for the skill? Last time I checked 4% of zero is zero.

I just don't want to waste a perk point on a skill that will never benefit from it.
    Adding 4% shield hardness is the same as adding +20 to the skill. You end up with harder shields so no waste.

Um you do realize 4% of zero is still zero? IDK if everything that's on the endeavor list has a base value above zero; but if so, yeah, anything that starts at zero without a skill point added to it would most likely remain at a zero.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • quickdraw74quickdraw74 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Yes. Zero plus anything is no longer zero.

Adding 4% shield hardness is the same as adding +20 to the skill. You end up with harder shields so no waste.

Um you do realize 4% of zero is still zero? IDK if everything that's on the endeavor list has a base value above zero; but if so, yeah, anything that starts at zero without a skill point added to it would most likely remain at a zero.

I know..... right. I'm just going to apply it and see. Outside earth space dock and on a patrol mission it says 0 in the skill right now.
    Honestly the only reason I asked is because this game has weird math. Just got back into playing again. Tried searching for answers, but found none. Even if it doesn't add a bonus to the skill I'll eventually be left no choice but to take them..... 3 years from now..lol.
  • quickdraw74quickdraw74 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    JhDwajQ.jpg

Didn't do anything. Not that I'm disappointed..got enough HP in shield to take a beating. Even checked the resistance numbers they look unchanged, but I'm assuming those are from hull armor. Who knows.....I just thought I'd ask.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Honestly the only reason I asked is because this game has weird math.
    It does lol.
    Didn't do anything.
    The stats on your ship's display won't necessarily show the increase. Weird again, eh? The stats shown in your photo are 'internal' to your characters spec... there are some other posters that would have better words for this.

In a related question would other or any endeavor related stat increases show up here such as CrtH and D ? Am way behind on them myself.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Honestly the only reason I asked is because this game has weird math.
    It does lol.
    Didn't do anything.
    The stats on your ship's display won't necessarily show the increase. Weird again, eh? The stats shown in your photo are 'internal' to your characters spec... there are some other posters that would have better words for this.

In a related question would other or any endeavor related stat increases show up here such as CrtH and D ? Am way behind on them myself.

Perks for Crit H and D for Space will show up in the percentages on the Ship window. There's more exceptions than rules when it comes to this stuff, such as all the stuff expressed in points named the same as a modern Skill will show up in the Ship screen, but non-standard stuff like Control Resist will not. Edit: Just realized that about the only thing named the same as a regular Skill is Kit Performance on ground. Some stuff will show up somewhere on the Ship/Character screen, like armor points coming out as the resist percents (after going through a convoluted calculation) but some there's no display for.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    I was hoping you'd pop by and add some commentary. Thanks.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    I was hoping you'd pop by and add some commentary. Thanks.

No problem.